Impact on disneyland Hotel

They said something about a big open courtyard connecting the hotels, but I still can't visualize that since there are other businesses within that perimeter.

Currently the Self Parking lot of the GCH essentially touches all four hotel properties and all of the business in DTD immediately north of that are getting leveled for the new hotel and probably where they are envisioning that.

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 2.19.13 PM.png

Currently the Self Parking lot of the GCH essentially touches all four hotel properties and all of the business in DTD immediately north of that are getting leveled for the new hotel and probably where they are envisioning that

Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense. Do you think they might make a change at Disneyland Drive in front of GCH, maybe along the lines of the current DTD bridge? I have no clue if that would even work there or whether they'd want it.

Ohhhhhhh! That makes sense. Do you think they might make a change at Disneyland Drive in front of GCH, maybe along the lines of the current DTD bridge? I have no clue if that would even work there or whether they'd want it.

Honestly no one knows...short of just some simple concept art the actual plans have been pretty vague and everything else is just guesses and speculation.

This is a monstrously idiotic idea
You know, if they'd incorporated it more into the DLH scheme, I wouldn't mind. The original DLH hotel was a lot of fun and had a whole batch of shops, restaurants, a little convenience store and even a nightclub. It also had multiple pools, a paddle-boat lagoon, a Japanese garden, and some low-rise bungalow rooms that had white wood beamed ceilings. I wouldn't expect them to recreate all of that as what they're really after is rooms, but I wish they'd gone low-rise in the middle areas and high-rise on the sides, with a lush garden feel. As I said, I think a Polynesian theme would have been super cool and could have been transitioned into DLH while still providing the 'new' 4-star hotel. They could have put in a bigger Tiki Bar (I think TS's would still have plenty of business). Anyway, this is all moot anyway unless the Disney people are reading my profundity, smacking their desks and yelling "YEAH!!!!".

We will have to wait and see how it looks in the end, but by the looks of this concept art, IMO, it looks like huge apartment buildings spread out all over with shopping on the bottom and it totally ruins the view for the guests staying at the DLH! I totally agree with DizMe in that they could have come up with a much better theme! Does anyone know what the name of this new hotel is going to be?

I haven't read anything about a name for the hotel yet. It's just the oddest placement. Seems absolutely wedged in. And I can't imagine the Monorail is going to be much of an amenity as it is already a loooong wait for a ride in and out of the parks with just DLH and DD visitors going back and forth. They are going to have to run more Monorail trains to help this make any kind of sense. We will just have to see what this does to that end of DD and the DLH experience. My family has been staying at the DLH for our yearly trip for about 8 or 9 years now. We like the DLH rooms, pool, and price point better than the GCH. BUT, if I am paying to stay on property, I do not want the hassle of maneuvering around a mega construction zone so this summer we are booked at GCH for the last week in July. It will be interesting to compare the experience since it's been so long since we've stayed there. I will keep my fingers crossed that in future years we will want to return to our old fav DLH.

I'm not sure about this at all. I likely won't be back to DLR until rundisney returns (and I hope they don't wait till this is finished to do that) but as others have said the placement seems odd. I normally stay off-site off walnut and walk down to DLH and then into DtD and often then grab the monorail. Putting this here just seems like it will make geting into DtD much tougher and then the monorail being inside the hotel seems like it will make it tougher to get to, etc. Seems like a placement that will block stuff more then allowing traffic through.

I though the new hotel was supposed to go in the parking lot that rundisney used for their pre-race/post-race activities. That seems to be a location that makes more sense then here where it just seems like it is going to be in the way.

I haven't read anything about a name for the hotel yet. It's just the oddest placement. Seems absolutely wedged in. And I can't imagine the Monorail is going to be much of an amenity as it is already a loooong wait for a ride in and out of the parks with just DLH and DD visitors going back and forth. They are going to have to run more Monorail trains to help this make any kind of sense. We will just have to see what this does to that end of DD and the DLH experience. My family has been staying at the DLH for our yearly trip for about 8 or 9 years now. We like the DLH rooms, pool, and price point better than the GCH. BUT, if I am paying to stay on property, I do not want the hassle of maneuvering around a mega construction zone so this summer we are booked at GCH for the last week in July. It will be interesting to compare the experience since it's been so long since we've stayed there. I will keep my fingers crossed that in future years we will want to return to our old fav DLH.

For some reason, I'm envisioning a perk of being at that hotel will be similar to the entrance at the Grand into DCA. Maybe it will be only guests of that hotel can use the monorail the first two hours or something to that effect.

We are booked for a split stay in early July with half at the Grand and half at DLH and now I'm rethinking. I would imagine when they start building the platform, the monorail itself will have to go down for quite a while. Thoughts?

I though the new hotel was supposed to go in the parking lot that rundisney used for their pre-race/post-race activities. That seems to be a location that makes more sense then here where it just seems like it is going to be in the way.
I haven't followed this super closely so I might be over-simplifying here. My understanding is that they were originally going to build the hotel over a parking lot back there, and additionally they were going to build a new parking structure and pedestrian overpass on Harbor. But the city and/or the local businesses blocked approval for the parking structure on the Harbor side, so now Disney has to put the parking structure where they previously planned to build the hotel. I really liked the old plan a lot more.

When is construction set to start. I am really thinking about switching to Paradise pier instead of Hilton. We stayed on site at DLH last time and loved being in the bubble. I am impatiently waiting to see how this will affect PP and DLH. As well as if security lines will be moved.

When is construction set to start. I am really thinking about switching to Paradise pier instead of Hilton. We stayed on site at DLH last time and loved being in the bubble. I am impatiently waiting to see how this will affect PP and DLH. As well as if security lines will be moved.
Curious to know this too as we will be staying at PPH this summer at the beginning of August!

Interesting perspectives here....

From what I have heard the new hotel's nightly rate is said to average around $450/night...so pretty decent as far as Disneyland Hotels go... I think this is set to be more moderate (between Paradise Peir and DLH for pricing and experience).

Frankly, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about EMH and increased crowds etc... More pools/dining/shopping/hotel activities = more people NOT in the parks and instead enjoying the resort in other ways. I personally see that as a bonus.

Are we really dissing Disney's "theming" off of the concept art people? Seriously? We have no clue what the finished product is going to look like, and in my experience Disney, for the most part, really pulls through with some cool stuff. Why copy The Polynesian? What does it have to do with California or Disneyland? Why would they copy a hotel that already exists in Florida? It makes sense to me that Disneyland needs to develop their own identity separate from Florida. Basing an entire hotel off of one popular little bar seems silly to me. The modern theme is not something they have yet at Disneyland.. go to the DLH of you want nostalgia, TGC if you want that authentic California redwoods feel, the PP if you are feeling beachy (It is California after all!) and this new place if you are the type of person who prefers a clean/modern/sophisticated look.

Interesting perspectives here....

From what I have heard the new hotel's nightly rate is said to average around $450/night...so pretty decent as far as Disneyland Hotels go... I think this is set to be more moderate (between Paradise Peir and DLH for pricing and experience).

Frankly, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about EMH and increased crowds etc... More pools/dining/shopping/hotel activities = more people NOT in the parks and instead enjoying the resort in other ways. I personally see that as a bonus.

Are we really dissing Disney's "theming" off of the concept art people? Seriously? We have no clue what the finished product is going to look like, and in my experience Disney, for the most part, really pulls through with some cool stuff. Why copy The Polynesian? What does it have to do with California or Disneyland? Why would they copy a hotel that already exists in Florida? It makes sense to me that Disneyland needs to develop their own identity separate from Florida. Basing an entire hotel off of one popular little bar seems silly to me. The modern theme is not something they have yet at Disneyland.. go to the DLH of you want nostalgia, TGC if you want that authentic California redwoods feel, the PP if you are feeling beachy (It is California after all!) and this new place if you are the type of person who prefers a clean/modern/sophisticated look.
Yes, I am dissing Disney's theming because to me, it is actually a lack thereof. All we have to go by at this time is the concept art, and typically that is the best presentation before the bean counters get involved and things start getting slashed. So yes, I'm disappointed in the theme which is pretty much the ugly box passed off as post-modern or some such. It's pretty much a takeoff, from what I've heard, of WDW's Contemporary hotel. If you want post-modern, there is already the Disneyland Hotel. The reason for the suggestion of Polynesian is because this is a rush job and supposedly they are using something they already have due to lack of time to draw up new plans. I would much prefer a tropical flair, which is quite prevalent in SoCal, besides being a pretty big theme within DL itself. It ties in well with the origins of the park and is a favorite. It would be completely different from the other DLR hotel options.

The hotel is not supposed to be a moderate, but higher-end than GCH. If the concept art doesn't even show it as a high-end hotel that's a bad sign.

I think having a new hotel is a bonus and I'm glad about it. But I'm not impressed with the pictures and am uncertain, until we have more information, about how it will impact the other hotels, security, etc.

I was under the impression that the 'ground floor' (the area of the DTD walkway between the DLH and the bridge) was only shops, walkways, and a security check and that the 'hotel proper' began on the first floor. This would make the ground floor a public walkway that wouldn't impinge on the hotel guests. I'd assume there would be some type of elevators/escalators/stairs (possibly guests only) to the actual hotel on the floor above.

The pools, gardens, etc would be to the sides of the hotel and not accessible to the public.

I was under the impression that the 'ground floor' (the area of the DTD walkway between the DLH and the bridge) was only shops, walkways, and a security check and that the 'hotel proper' began on the first floor. This would make the ground floor a public walkway that wouldn't impinge on the hotel guests. I'd assume there would be some type of elevators/escalators/stairs (possibly guests only) to the actual hotel on the floor above.

The pools, gardens, etc would be to the sides of the hotel and not accessible to the public.
I wonder how hotel guests move between buildings? Will they have some sort of skybridge or underground passage, or will you have to cross the public walk space to get from one side to another?

I wonder how hotel guests move between buildings? Will they have some sort of skybridge or underground passage, or will you have to cross the public walk space to get from one side to another?

Good question. I don't think it would be underground, but perhaps the central area that may be on the first floor level will contain branching walkways to the other buildings at that level.

That's it in the concept art below. You can see the 3 gray towers of DLH behind it; it looks kind of like wings in this picture with a fountain in the middle. Way over on the far left you can see the edge of Paradise Pier Hotel. That area with the fountain, where you'd walk under the monorail, is the DTD walkway. I can't tell if the small end of that 'V' (with the wavy canopy) is going to be the new security entrance or just a pass-through to DLH. The monorail is going to be exactly where it is now but the current station is going to turn into a station that stops at the new hotel. As you can see, this pretty well obliterates much of the view from DLH and constructing this hotel right in front of and beside it is not going to be low impact.

View attachment 313864

I hadn't kept up with the plans for the new hotel. Sad to see the concept art. Vanilla shake, hold the vanilla.
They are doing a lot of generic stuff with the hotels at WDW lately, too. I guess to market to the convention crowd? Disappointing.

Following this thread for future details. We are staying at the DLH in the beginning of august and are nervous for what it will be like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter