In memory of Merriweather Pleasure....(aka P.I. memories)

ConcKahuna

<font color=darkorchid>Corn was on sale, 10 ears f
Pleasure Island, once home to the shipping company owned by Merriweather Pleasure and later turned into an adult hot-spot in the middle of the magic of Walt Disney World closed its doors on September 27, 2008 after just over 19 years of operation.

In 1989, the old shipping warehouses opened their doors as:

Adventurers Club - a campy come-as-you-are home to adventurers of all types. Entertainment included a wide cast of hilarious characters (and not just the ones who worked there!)

XZFR Rockin' Rollerdrome - a roller-rink where you could rock and roll the night away! In 1990, the roller skates went away and it became the Rock 'n' Roll Beach Club.

Neon Armadillo - A country-western club. In 1998 they closed their doors to re-open as the BET Soundstage, home to top hip-hop and rap hits.

Comedy Warehouse - origionally home to a show called "Forbidden Disney," the CW soon moved to an improv format that kept repeat visitors in stitches.

Videopolis East - Featured new-wave music on 170 video screens. It was renamed Cage in 1990, and closed in 1993 before becomming 8-TRAX and switching to 70's and 80's disco.

Mannequins Dance Palace - A techno-trance nightclub with a light-up rotating dance floor where you could dance next to department store mannequins, both fake and alive.

Fireworks Factory - the factory where Merriweather Pleasure created his fireworks, until a cigar caused an explosion. It opened in 1989 as a pyrotechnic-themed restaurant, and operated until 1997. In 1998 the factory became the home to the Wildhorse Saloon, a BBQ restaurant and country music nightclub. In 2001 the Wildhorse closed it's doors and reopned as Motion, a top-40 dance club.

Merriweather's Market - a food court that in 1993 became the Pleasure Island Jazz Company, a club that played host to live jazz musicians. In 2005 it was replaced by Raglan Road Irish Pub and Restaurant.

So what are you memories of Pleasure Island? Feel free to post pictures here, talk about the good times, and remember both the visitors and the CMs that made PI great!

You know...I've been going to WDW since '99. And it wasn't until last week that I could find someone willing to head to PI and AdvClub with me. Man...so bummed. But, at least I got to go, albeit on the next to last night. Better late than never I guess. I was there the final night, but just couldn't get in anyplace without a huge wait, so went home, with hanging head. Didn't want to wait around, all by my lonesome for the fireworks to start.
But, I heard the fireworks were extraordinary.

Bah, Knox and I were done with the clubs before Midnight on the last night, we went to go see Frankie and then watched teh fireworks. You should have called us or texted!

I made my final farewell tour in August with my BFF who had never been to PI or WDW for that matter. We drank and danced the night away and it was very sad knowing that PI wouldn't be here when DH and I came back in Dec.! I won't mention last year's memory to PI....what I do remember anyway....:rolleyes1
I remember the good old days when you got your bracelet at the bridge and there weren't any children permitted in PI...watching the NY countdown and fireworks....live music on 2 stages between club hopping.
OK, now I'm depressed! :sad1:

I remember the old platforms you could stand on in 8-TRAX, and dancing with my friends to great hits like "Safety Dance", "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Dancing Queen."

I remember the "Red Pride" party in June of '07 at Motion, with acrobats and other performers on the stage. I even managed to get a shirt from the bacardi girls!

I remember being able to go into almost any club on Thursday nights and knowing people, both CM's and locals, who would go out to party before the weekend tourist crowd started comming in. There's nothing quite like running into a friend who had lived out of town for 2 years while dancing in Mannequins.

I remember seeing Shannon perform Live on the West End Stage back in 2000. "Let the Music Play" and "Give Me Tonight" have been 2 of my favorite songs since.

I come from ar eally close family. My mother is one of my best friends. After I got married, my DH an I moved far away from home. It was the first time I was not with my family for the holidays. The year after we moved, my DH planned a Thanksgiving trip to WDW for the family. We got to "celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas" together...but.....

My favorite memory from that trip was getting to celebrate "New Years" with my family one more time. We all went to PI, spent the night at the Adventurers Club and then at midnight got to ring in the "new year". PI might be gone, but that memory will last forever.

Ah. Where to start? :confused3 Too many memories. Yes, all are treasured, but somehow it just seems there should have been more time (forever time?) to keep making those memories. :sad1:

To say PI will be missed is more than an understatement. :guilty:

Ah. Where to start? :confused3 Too many memories. Yes, all are treasured, but somehow it just seems there should have been more time (forever time?) to keep making those memories. :sad1:

To say PI will be missed is more than an understatement. :guilty:

In my experience, Disney does best when they update older attractions to meet thier new vision, instead of replacing them with something different.

Examples:

Journey into Imagination. Completely changed and everyone hated the removal of Figment. Disney had to spend a lot more $$ just to put figment back in, after having already spent millions on the rehab. Bad choice.

Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion. The changes were noticable and dramatic, but at the same time the basic ride didnt change. Good choices.

I can't speak about the 90s at PI, but I discovered it in 2004 as a CP and I have many many memories. I am busy today but I will post more soon.

One of the fondest memory of my honeymoon was at 8-Traxx, KC from KC and the Sunshine Band was there on a solo appearance and he was singing on the dance floor. DH and I were just be-bopping to the music and he came over to us and be-bopped right along with us. Thinking about PI will always bring back that memory for me.

Lots of memories for me. I loved when they had dancers on many stages up and down the street. Loved Neon Armadillo. Loved 8-trax. Remember going with my brothers when we were still all single and just partying up and down the street before catching the bus back to Ft Wilderness after the New Years' explosion. And the trip with DH and DBro & SIL when we drank the shooters down the ice slide. Memories .....

I remember a few years back, seeing Hulk Hogan and his DD Brooke after she released her first album, he was dancing on the dance floor for awhile, with me RIGHT NEXT to him, and he was having a great time.:cool1:

The first time we went was in 1993. We sent the kids to kids camp at The Dolphin while DH and I danced the night away. We saw Neumann from "Seinfeld" in the Adventurers' Club, and he was wearing a Jurassic Park t-shirt, but with a silhouette of Mickey instead of the T Rex (it was right after the movie came out, and he was in it).
The last time we went was in 2006, and we danced the night away w/ DS, who was 18 at the time, DD, who was 16, and my college roommate and her stepson, who was 14. It was really fun having both generations out there together, shaking our groove things. And I found out that DS does a very smooth cha-cha! We will definitely miss PI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter