In need of some Advice

StEpHandMiKe<3Disney

DIS Veteran
Myself, husband and 10 years old daughter are spending 2 days at Universal in December. Husband and I have gone before, this will be her first time. We have focused a lot on the attractions in our prior visits, but this visit I will be unable to ride any thrill rides due to a recent back surgery. I also am not a huge fan of simulator attractions so I will be sitting quite a bit out. My question is, please give me some ideas of what I can enjoy at the park while my family enjoys the thrill rides. Thanks!

The shows, both seated and street entertainment.

For rides: the Seuss Trolley, Kang & Kodos, One Fish Two Fish, the Seuss Carousel, Minions (stationary seating), Hogwarts Express, the new Minions Blast shooter, ET, Cat in the Hat (spins but is not jostley).

Generally exploring the nooks & crannies - listening to the mystic fountain, interacting with characters, Jurassic Discovery Center, Raptor encounter, etc.

Boats to resorts are pleasant gentle rides.

IOA:

Explore Port of Entry. There is all sorts of neat signage, and there are multiple conversation audio recordings. Like 2 guys talking about busting out of jail near the jail facade.

There are pathways in various places around the lagoon that you miss if you stay on the main path.

Take a look at the theming of the food carts. They are all "made" out of different leftover materials like old safes, fruit crates and other random things.

Frog Choir and Spirit Rally entertainment in Hogsmeade

Trolley in the Sky, If I Ran the Zoo and "Oh the Stories You Will Here" in Seuss Landing. There are also a bunch of fun signs and landscaping in all the corners.

Studios:

Blues Brothers Show

Horror & Make-Up Show

Celestina Warbeck & Tale of the Three Brothers Shows in Diagon Alley

Explore the New York Street area

Explore all the details in the seasonal Tribute Stores if there is one

Grab a Snack and hang out in Central Park

In both Harry Potter areas, watch people at the various wand activation points even if you don't have a wand to do it yourself.

For many years, we focused SO much on rides, but the last few trips, really took some time to look around.
Like this last trip, I sat near Transformers, just taking a break, and watched Megatron meeting and greeting, and it was so fun. I have never even seen a transformers movie, but it was entertaining.
Really enjoyed the Bourne stunt show. All of the live entertainment is super fun. the Blue Brothers, etc.
The HP entertainment is pretty good. the IoA ones though are usually in the sun, standing, so that sometimes is not ideal, but they're not that long. I also agree with just sitting and watching people doing HP spells. I LOVE exploring Knockturn Alley, and enjoying some ice cream from Florians back there, or there's a great little spot next to the Menagerie shop to relax.
Looking at all the shops is a lot of fun, especially if they have props and collectibles.
Seussland is great for pictures, and just taking in the scenery, and I agree that the trolley ride is fun.
I can't do Forbidden Journey anymore, but you can totally just walk the queue and take your time, etc. then tell them at the end that you are not riding.
I've read and heard a lot about ride 'tours', but I don't know if they still offer those, or when, or which rides might still be doing them. I do recall they were totally subject to availability.
There's a few shops to explore in SuperHero Island. I often don't ride Hulk, and do not ride Dr Doom any more. If the characters are out, can meet them, or just watch others meeting. Green Goblen is often hanging around there.
Have fun!!!

You can check and see if the NBC Media Center is doing anything special or any audience screenings. We happened to be walking by two years ago when they were asking people to watch a new show and give opinions. It turned out to be the reboot of Night Court, and we each got a $10 gift card for participating. We both commented that we’d like to see more of Dan Fielding’s backstory, and when we watched the first episode, there was more of his backstory - obvs that wasn’t solely on us, but we like to think we had a little sway.

My husband rides far more rides than I do so I sit a lot waiting for him.

Take in some streetmosphere if you can and there's shows at both parks in the Harry Potter areas.

Sit and people watch as well as take in the sounds depending on where you're at. That could be with something like a coffee or a snack or just people watching. Diagon Alley if you can snag a seat in a bench would be good for some time.

Peruse the shops--Discovery Center is one for example and has some stuff you can interact with too if you want to but there's also the more completely merch shops.

I'm not sure if your back surgery would affect it (and I could see it being an issue just due to the ride vehicle) but if you're okay with some heights and the wait isn't long Seuss High in the Sky (similar to PeopleMover in a sense) is a way to pass the time. I wouldn't necessarily wait super long for it if you're riding by yourself and more enjoy riding with your traveling party but it's an option if your health works out that way.

You might run past your traveling party if they would be interested in the Make Up Horror Show or Bourne Stuntacular. If they aren't you could do those while they are off doing something in those areas.

My wife will strike up a chat with people while she is waiting for us on rides she prefers not to do.
This often happens to me while I'm waiting for my husband. Sometimes it's the other people striking up the conversation sometimes it's me. It's super easy to do too depending on where you're at you'll find others waiting it out as well.

Last year I had a lovely conversation with a woman from TN discussing the weather and gardening and landscaping waiting for my husband to do VelociCoaster for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter