In Room H2O Products Now in Large Shareable Bottles?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought that the cost of these things were factored into the resort rates. I'm not sure I'm interested in saving Disney money, is Disney interested in saving me money? Also, I read or heard somewhere that taking taking the soaps was considered stealing... does Disney really consider taking the soaps as theft?

I always thought that the cost of these things were factored into the resort rates. I'm not sure I'm interested in saving Disney money, is Disney interested in saving me money? Also, I read or heard somewhere that taking taking the soaps was considered stealing... does Disney really consider taking the soaps as theft?

I highly doubt they see taking the soaps as stealing. But I don't doubt people hoard them, or ask for multiples just to take them home. This reminds me a bit of the whole Napkin-gate thing. People complained when they were made generic, because so many of them loved taking them home and stocking up with them.

Every business is interested in saving money. A business that is reckless with it's money isn't around for long.

Just personal opinion here:

Whenever I travel I either do 2 things: use a travel-sized bottle (like one you can get in a set) and fill it with the shampoo and then another bottle for conditioner I use at home or more commonly I will go to the travel aisle of the store and get stuff there. I don't like to weigh down my suitcase with heavy bottles of stuff but nor do I like to rely on places having stuff. It's not that I am brand specific at all it's just either the place won't have any or not enough for my whole trip. I'm not into asking for more and more stuff from the hotel staff. I do however take or use at times what the hotels alread give you but that really just depends. But again I'm not asking for more and more stuff-only take (if I do take any that is) what is already in the hotel room.

I get that people don't like the way it is set up at POR at this time but I'm not as affected by it because I already bring my stuff from home and then it's my choice or not if I want to use what the hotel provides if they provide something.

As far as germs and whatnot I personally don't live my life like it seems some folks on the thread do-I guess I'm living dangerously in their perspective. Then again I get that certain different procedures are done with those whose lives can be impacted in a very negative way due to health concerns.

Prices rise every year. Rack rates were released a couple of months ago for 2018
All the best.

Yes, of course. But it was worded as if they raised the cost because of the soap. I'm struggling to think of anything I'm not paying more for this year than last year. People seem to forget Disney is a business. And they will charge what the market will allow.

Maybe Disney thought they were doing a good thing for them and the guests. No more having to call down because your family all has long hair and those tiny bottles don't cut it. Here you are, plenty of shampoo for your whole stay! Less hassle for them, and the guests have a more than ample supply.

Just personal opinion here:

Whenever I travel I either do 2 things: use a travel-sized bottle (like one you can get in a set) and fill it with the shampoo and then another bottle for conditioner I use at home or more commonly I will go to the travel aisle of the store and get stuff there. I don't like to weigh down my suitcase with heavy bottles of stuff but nor do I like to rely on places having stuff. It's not that I am brand specific at all it's just either the place won't have any or not enough for my whole trip. I'm not into asking for more and more stuff from the hotel staff. I do however take or use at times what the hotels alread give you but that really just depends. But again I'm not asking for more and more stuff-only take (if I do take any that is) what is already in the hotel room.

I get that people don't like the way it is set up at POR at this time but I'm not as affected by it because I already bring my stuff from home and then it's my choice or not if I want to use what the hotel provides if they provide something.

As far as germs and whatnot I personally don't live my life like it seems some folks on the thread do-I guess I'm living dangerously in their perspective. Then again I get that certain different procedures are done with those whose lives can be impacted in a very negative way due to health concerns.

Same here on all those accounts. I prefer to use certain products just because my hair can get messed up with the wrong kind of product. I just keep what I like to use in my owners locker and that solves the problem for me. I rarely use any toiletries provided with the hotel room, aside from perhaps some lotions, it's just a non-factor in the whole package. I never realized it was such a big deal for people but it makes sense.

As far as germs go, regular hand washing is good enough for the average person. Emphasis on average, of course. I think it's far too early to tell what the impact this change will be on germs and such. This is likely just as much of a test on the Mousekeeping end as it is on the guest end. If it takes them longer to refill/replace or cannot remain clean, I imagine it won't last very long.

A large enough concern though at WDW is norovirus for which hand sanitizer won't work-CDC says they are basically ineffective for that
Without veering too far off topic, the Clorox wipes mentioned in the post that inspired this tangent works pretty good on norovirus. Regular soap and water will not kill the norovirus, though if you scrub vigorously long enough under running water you'll likely get enough of it to flow down the drain. But if any water splashes on the wall or counter and is not subsequently disinfected properly that virus can just chill out there and wait for a hand to come along and offer it a ride to mouthtown.

How do you get through the day at the parks without touching railings, or ride restraints, or the elevator buttons to get to your room, or the door to get into the bathroom stall, or the bars on the bus, or the door on the trash cans, or any item in the gift shop or any other surface that every sweaty, just-finished-eating, went potty, snot-nosed, hacking, coughing etc guest has touched?

I have an immune disorder (I don't make immunoglobulins, which are a big chunk of what keep you from getting infections). I love and adore going to WDW, but it's a full time job trying to keep from getting sick. I jump through hoops, I feel like I'm running an obstacle course all day long. I NEVER touch railings, any surfaces at all that I can't disinfect first or disinfect me immediately after. Those bars on rides? Don't touch em. I touch soap dispensers with paper towels only. No paper towel? Toilet paper, disinfectant wipe, something, anything but not my hands. I guarantee I can go to any bathroom in the universe without touching anything with my bare hands. I don't touch ketchup bottles without protection, I push all buttons and doors with my clothing covered hand (shirtail or long shirts) or elbow. The bedspread is removed the minute we enter the room, we get new washed blankets, and I go without a pillow & use a towel, and on and on and on.

No, I do not want to share soap. Yes, I will bring my own if I have to. No, I will not be pleased.

I have an immune disorder (I don't make immunoglobulins, which are a big chunk of what keep you from getting infections). I love and adore going to WDW, but it's a full time job trying to keep from getting sick. I jump through hoops, I feel like I'm running an obstacle course all day long. I NEVER touch railings, any surfaces at all that I can't disinfect first or disinfect me immediately after. Those bars on rides? Don't touch em. I touch soap dispensers with paper towels only. No paper towel? Toilet paper, disinfectant wipe, something, anything but not my hands. I guarantee I can go to any bathroom in the universe without touching anything with my bare hands. I don't touch ketchup bottles without protection, I push all buttons and doors with my clothing covered hand (shirtail or long shirts) or elbow. The bedspread is removed the minute we enter the room, we get new washed blankets, and I go without a pillow & use a towel, and on and on and on.

No, I do not want to share soap. Yes, I will bring my own if I have to. No, I will not be pleased.

Just curious, I don't have any immune disorders but you might know this better than I do: does touching buttons and doors with your clothing protect you more than touching them with your hands? I always wondered because clothing stays obviously close to the skin all the day long.

Just curious, I don't have any immune disorders but you might know this better than I do: does touching buttons and doors with your clothing protect you more than touching them with your hands? I always wondered because clothing stays obviously close to the skin all the day long.
Yes, assuming the surfaces in question are dry, clothing isn't nearly as good a transportation medium as skin is for viri & bacteria (fabric will absolutely not help if you're using it to "block" against direct contact and it gets wet and thus gets to your skin). For wet, sticky, icky surfaces, I go 1st for disinfectant, 2nd for a big ole' thick wad of paper towelling. This, without the use of special fabrics, won't prevent 100% of transmissions but I might as well own stock in antibacterial wipes (both for surfaces & skin), and use them ALL the time. I avoid touching the parts of my clothes that I also use for a barrier (if you're using your shirtail to open doors, don't use that same shirtail to dry your hands. And most of all, follow this mantra:

Wash your hands, wash your hands, don't touch your face!!

Regular soap and water will not kill the norovirus, though if you scrub vigorously long enough under running water you'll likely get enough of it to flow down the drain. But if any water splashes on the wall or counter and is not subsequently disinfected properly that virus can just chill out there and wait for a hand to come along and offer it a ride to mouthtown.

In fact proper handwashing is good enough; the mechanics and detergent combined will kill the virus - it's just that the average person does not complete a thorough handwashing technique. Good hygiene cannot be stressed enough.

In fact proper handwashing is good enough; the mechanics and detergent combined will kill the virus - it's just that the average person does not complete a thorough handwashing technique. Good hygiene cannot be stressed enough.

There is nothing in soap and water that will 'kill' the norovirus. Viruses are not alive in the regular sense of the word and so they don't die in the regular sense either. What we say about viruses is that they are active or not. We dont kill them, ee deactivate them. Some viruses are more fragile than others. Norovirus is extremely tough.

So if you have norovirus on your hands, washing them is a good way to get it off of you, but it will not kill the virus. And if other people are not very hygienic and trail this bug all over the place, cleaning that place with soap and water will do little to reduce the viral population.

This is why cdc guides indicate more than soap and water are necessary when a norovirus outbreak is suspected. While not the best, quaternary disinfectants (will have some sort of ammonium chloride in it) like what you get in disinfecting wipes are a fine choice.

Add to that the new strains of norovirus, the Sydney strain for one, have developed even resilience to hand washing.

I for one find this a disturbing trend for Disney. Not only for reasons others have mentioned but also because, having worked for a soap company, I am aware that bar soap is actually more hygienic than liquid soap. Liquids are difficult to keep from growing organisms without adding antimicrobial/antibacterial agents (especially in warm moist environments like showers...) to maintain "freshness". But these very agents are compounding the problem of drug resistance! So when people say they prefer this method for environmental reasons, that's actually an incorrect assumption. The small individual plastic bottles are better because smaller amounts are used quickly and the bottle is recyclable. If you're not recycling your used ones, then shame on you for allowing them to end up in a landfill to begin with. Imagine a large bottle filled, used, refilled, used, refilled...it will eventually find something growing inside. I would hate to be person coming home from a park to shower only to find green slime coming out of the pump! ICK Remember, a small bar of soap will at least dry out and keep nasties from growing on the surface.

Besides, the current complimentary toiletries are an awesome take-away memory from what is supposed to be a wonderful Disney vacation. To me, this is just another instance of the Disney corporation taking away the magic that everyone comes to expect. Less and less, for more and more money, year after year isn't the way to keep guests happy. (As many companies are now beginning to find out after years of taking employee perks away, they are left with nothing but unhappy and disgruntled employees. It's never good for the bottom line...which Disney will eventually see...someday.)

Just because it's done elsewhere in the world, or by other hotel chains, does Disney have to follow THEM down this hole? Or might it be better that Disney sets the bar higher and not let others set the standards to which they have successfully done business for decades?

Having said my take on the matter, I'm keeping fingers crossed this won't be implemented at the Deluxe resorts where I tend to stay.:earsboy:

I for one find this a disturbing trend for Disney. Not only for reasons others have mentioned but also because, having worked for a soap company, I am aware that bar soap is actually more hygienic than liquid soap. Liquids are difficult to keep from growing organisms without adding antimicrobial/antibacterial agents (especially in warm moist environments like showers...) to maintain "freshness". But these very agents are compounding the problem of drug resistance! So when people say they prefer this method for environmental reasons, that's actually an incorrect assumption. The small individual plastic bottles are better because smaller amounts are used quickly and the bottle is recyclable. If you're not recycling your used ones, then shame on you for allowing them to end up in a landfill to begin with. Imagine a large bottle filled, used, refilled, used, refilled...it will eventually find something growing inside. I would hate to be person coming home from a park to shower only to find green slime coming out of the pump! ICK Remember, a small bar of soap will at least dry out and keep nasties from growing on the surface.

Besides, the current complimentary toiletries are an awesome take-away memory from what is supposed to be a wonderful Disney vacation. To me, this is just another instance of the Disney corporation taking away the magic that everyone comes to expect. Less and less, for more and more money, year after year isn't the way to keep guests happy. (As many companies are now beginning to find out after years of taking employee perks away, they are left with nothing but unhappy and disgruntled employees. It's never good for the bottom line...which Disney will eventually see...someday.)

Just because it's done elsewhere in the world, or by other hotel chains, does Disney have to follow THEM down this hole? Or might it be better that Disney sets the bar higher and not let others set the standards to which they have successfully done business for decades?

Having said my take on the matter, I'm keeping fingers crossed this won't be implemented at the Deluxe resorts where I tend to stay.:earsboy:
Excellent, cogent argument. It's the nasties growing INSIDE the bottles that concerns me most.

I am just speculating, but I wonder if Disney will have toiletries for those people who are susceptible. They really are one of the best places in regards to caring for guests with special circumstances.

I am just speculating, but I wonder if Disney will have toiletries for those people who are susceptible. They really are one of the best places in regards to caring for guests with special circumstances.
Wouldn't that be admitting that your mass use toiletries might be harboring bacteria?

Wouldn't that be admitting that your mass use toiletries might be harboring bacteria?

No. Disney does not say their rooms are germ factories when they provide a special deep clean on a room if one of their guests is compromised in some way. They simply go the extra mile so a guest with severe allergies or whose immune system is compromised can be safe while in one of their resorts.

I believe that by suggesting that by providing extra services, or offering additional amenities to those who need them, Disney is lax in their daily services and unsafe in regards to products provided, it is possible that we see the end of those courtesies.

Just my first thought .... the rooms are the rooms so not likely anyone can bring their own room stuff .... so it gets cleaned. But the toiletries, someone that has issues would be expected to bring their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter