In the middle of building a house... everything was going good until it wasn't! VENT

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
So DH and I decided to build our dream house. We looked and looked, did our research and decided on where we want to live and how much house we needed and what was the top end of the budget. So in January we went all in, 6 to 8 months okay... We even had a Closing date for Mid August that they gave us back in March they were a month late a break ground... at our meeting at the end of June our contractor rep... definitely buy the end of August... they have done nothing on the house in last 4 weeks, while house around us are going up like crazy... So when we I started questioning him, well maybe the first week of Sept...So I tried to pin him down, then he said End of September....there are several things that have me really concerned, they put 2 holes for vents for the fan in the for the kitchen, they covered them both up with insulation, and both of them are open on the outside... Also insulation in the downstairs bath got wet, and moldy, then they put the bath tub in with the wet molded insulation still up, then they tore off the old but only from the top to the edge of the tub, so we still have wet and moldy insulation behind the tub... and we want it removed... and replaced... The dry wall has been laying in the house for 6 or 7 weeks, and someone has taken it most out of the garage, so another delay as they have to order more... as our house is now short, the kitchen hasn't been order yet which takes 2 to 3 weeks after they order, but before that, we have to have the dry wall up, pluming, painting, and more inspections. but all of this is just more as they house can't pass some inspections right now... and I could not get a straight answer out of him. So DH called him and got a bunch of lip service and he said that our house is now been given over to his assistant.... and that the house has failed a bunch of inspections.... What.... and no-one is doing a darn thing about it and they won't tell us what has failed inspection... so we called our sales rep, who said he would get back to us and I get a email saying that if the new guy hasn't called us by Wednesday to let him know... so almost another week of nothing going on.... so looking at the time line ... another 3 or 4 months... the problem is our lease is up and the end of September.... I am getting an ulcer, and not sleeping... I am almost to the point of just throwing in the towel...

So any suggestions to help us get this train back on the track would be appreciated.... or has it completely derailed....

Building a house is a pain. Walk through it, take pictures of what is where, any issues you see, etc. Stay on the builder. Sometimes other houses are fast-tracked due to lending agreements and financing. Our house was delayed by several months because our neighbor had to close by a certain date in order to keep her financing. Things happen, but document what you see as a problem.

I am so sorry. Sounds very similar to what we dealt with having our new home renovated here in FL. In fact, it is so similar, that I wonder if it is the same guy! :crazy2: You aren't, by chance, in the Orlando area, are you?

Sadly, I have heard so many horror stories about contractors since we moved to FL. The rules are just nonexistent here, and it is all biased towards the contractor in court. Hopefully, you are not having this home built in FL, and you will have some recourse through the court system in whatever state you are in.

Good luck.

So DH and I decided to build our dream house. We looked and looked, did our research and decided on where we want to live and how much house we needed and what was the top end of the budget. So in January we went all in, 6 to 8 months okay... We even had a Closing date for Mid August that they gave us back in March they were a month late a break ground... at our meeting at the end of June our contractor rep... definitely buy the end of August... they have done nothing on the house in last 4 weeks, while house around us are going up like crazy... So when we I started questioning him, well maybe the first week of Sept...So I tried to pin him down, then he said End of September....there are several things that have me really concerned, they put 2 holes for vents for the fan in the for the kitchen, they covered them both up with insulation, and both of them are open on the outside... Also insulation in the downstairs bath got wet, and moldy, then they put the bath tub in with the wet molded insulation still up, then they tore off the old but only from the top to the edge of the tub, so we still have wet and moldy insulation behind the tub... and we want it removed... and replaced... The dry wall has been laying in the house for 6 or 7 weeks, and someone has taken it most out of the garage, so another delay as they have to order more... as our house is now short, the kitchen hasn't been order yet which takes 2 to 3 weeks after they order, but before that, we have to have the dry wall up, pluming, painting, and more inspections. but all of this is just more as they house can't pass some inspections right now... and I could not get a straight answer out of him. So DH called him and got a bunch of lip service and he said that our house is now been given over to his assistant.... and that the house has failed a bunch of inspections.... What.... and no-one is doing a darn thing about it and they won't tell us what has failed inspection... so we called our sales rep, who said he would get back to us and I get a email saying that if the new guy hasn't called us by Wednesday to let him know... so almost another week of nothing going on.... so looking at the time line ... another 3 or 4 months... the problem is our lease is up and the end of September.... I am getting an ulcer, and not sleeping... I am almost to the point of just throwing in the towel...

So any suggestions to help us get this train back on the track would be appreciated.... or has it completely derailed....

Check with your city/ county or whomever is in charge of your permits. You should be able to see what has passed and what has failed and for what. Here anything failed is posted.
Also, know who is the site manager, not just your rep. It should have been the person you meet at the beginning of construction (it was for us). Start contacting THEM, not your sales rep, for info and with your demands and concerns. The sales rep can't do anything- the construction manager can.

Not sure if any of this will make you feel better, but I work for a high-volume, very reputable home-builder and it is SO common that a buyer who is unfamiliar with the construction process will become unduly alarmed by certain things along the way. First things first; there's the issue with your possession date and then there's everything else.

I'm kind of unclear from your post, but did your contract specify an actual possession date and if so, how are delays to be handled? Did it say something like they would notify you of a firm date 31 days in advance? This is the how our contracts are written because as a PP pointed out circumstances beyond control DO occur. If they are performing within the bounds of whatever was stipulated, there's little you can do; nerve-wracking as it may be. I'd suggest talking to your landlord and asking him if at the end of your lease you can extend on a month-to-month as a precaution. FWIW, the "finish stage" of construction goes VERY fast compared to the front end. Once cabinets and flooring are done you are really only a couple of weeks away even though that may be hard to imagine.

As for the quality control issues you mention, yes - I'd be concerned about the moldy insulation and would simply INSIST the wet stuff be pulled out from behind the tub while it still can be (before drywall). Notify everybody you can think of, in writing of your requirement - including the lawyer(s) representing you and the builder. I'm mystified as to why they would have left that section anyway, if they replaced all the rest. Regarding your venting, again I'm a little unclear - they are supposed to terminate outside and will be finished with a little louver and vent cover. The fact that on the inside they are covered with insulation may well have been one of the code infractions that caused the inspection failure. (If there are two holes it's because the framer mis-read the plans and put the first one in the wrong place - no biggie as the long as the superfluous one is capped properly - it will get drywalled over on the inside and boarded over with your exterior finish on the outside but should be stuffed with insulation all the way through.) One thing I would do is go to your municipality and pull the records on the Building Permit and look at the inspection reports if your builder won't give them to you. (Not sure about your jurisdiction but that's all a matter of public record here.)

As for bailing out of the deal - well, let's just say I've worked with some customers over the years that I wish would have done so. For whatever reasons, dissatisfaction and conflict can reach such a level that they are simply unable to ever be happy in the home - whether or not the issues are 100% real or just perception. Don't expect the builder to readily let you off the hook though if they are actually performing according to the agreement. You will likely be liable for deposits or more and as another PP said, contracts are often quite skewed in favour of the builder.

I wish you well. It's a stressful situation to be sure, but I hope this time next year you're sipping lemonade happily on your new front porch and trying to remember what all the fuss was about. :wave2:

Last edited:

Welcome to the wonderful world of home building/renovations. We went through a little bit of that but not as bad as you. When we purchased our home in key west, we knew it was going to be a process finding a reputable contractor to handle a project like that (key west has very strict building codes). What we did was hire a lawyer experienced in this. We went around key west and got a list from the attorney of those home owners who have had their home renovated down there in the past 3 years. Spoke with those home owners and hot their contractor information. Walked around their homes for build quality. Got it down to 2 contractors who both specialize in those style homes. Got prices on job and turn around time from start to finish. Had attorney draft in contracts on promise dates and break down in payments. One contractor did not like the idea of signing our contract. The other was fine with it. Everything finished on time.

I am an engineer in the construction industry, where do I start. Building a home is not like buying a car, there are no sure things. The one item you have control of is who you hire. You read these articles about getting 3 bids and picking the lowest. Not a good idea. Your best bet is interview local sources and get references.

The other thing is cost, there is no such thing as a guaranteed cost. Just accept that going in. The best contractors only work on mark up commission and would never give a final cost, only an estimate.

You can get really great contractors that will do a wonderful job. But they will not be the cheapest.

My advice for most people is to buy a home from a national builder. They do a very good job and stand behind their work for 10 years

Cal

1. Call your attorney. Stand your ground. Save any contracts and documents for the attorney.
2. Start looking for a DIFFERENT builder-even looking at spec homes.
My DH and I have built/bought more than 16 homes in the last 30 years and any builder that gives you that much run-around is either in serious financial trouble OR a total idiot. I'm thinking both.
Good Luck to you.

I am so sorry. Sounds very similar to what we dealt with having our new home renovated here in FL. In fact, it is so similar, that I wonder if it is the same guy! :crazy2: You aren't, by chance, in the Orlando area, are you?

Sadly, I have heard so many horror stories about contractors since we moved to FL. The rules are just nonexistent here, and it is all biased towards the contractor in court. Hopefully, you are not having this home built in FL, and you will have some recourse through the court system in whatever state you are in.

Good luck.
Just out of curiousty, who is your remodeler? I too live in Orlando and I bet we have dealt with some of the same people!!

Have you had your own inspector do periodic inspections? If so how have those gone? When we built our home we contracted with an outside inspector that did I think 4 or 5 inspections throughout the building process. We would then have the builder address any of those concerns prior to the next milestone of the build, with the inspector checking the work. I would certainly check around to see if the builder could be in financial trouble. Also go through your contract, preferably with an attorney, to see where you stand regarding remedying the issues already identified and getting out if necessary. Our home was delayed a couple months, but our builder was in constant contact with us, and we never for once thought that their wouldn't be delays so we had back up plans for our living accommodations.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through so many issues with your home. I feel your pain, my husband and I are in the midst of building our first home. It's quite the experience, that's for sure! We've had to be a thorn in our builders side and keep them accountable. We're about 2 months into the build and have had to stop by almost every day as there's constantly something they've done incorrectly. I don't think I would stand for my home being passed of the "assistants" to handle, it sounds like you have some serious issues here and I would demand to speak with someone more senior. We had endless problems with our agent and had to finally bypass her and go to the Sales Manager, he was useless so we bypassed him and went to the General Manager and finally started to receive some answers. I know how frustrating it is and how you feel like throwing in the towel but if you want to see this home completed, I think you're going to have to nag them until they're so sick of hearing from you, they'll be forced to answer your questions.

Check with your city/ county or whomever is in charge of your permits. You should be able to see what has passed and what has failed and for what. Here anything failed is posted.
Also, know who is the site manager, not just your rep. It should have been the person you meet at the beginning of construction (it was for us). Start contacting THEM, not your sales rep, for info and with your demands and concerns. The sales rep can't do anything- the construction manager can.
Yeah for our city we could check online what all the permits they got and pass or fail. We even were able to see the total amount of all the permits (which was over $11,000) for our house.

I remember the first inspection we had and the builder failed.....why did they fail...??? Well the inspector said the address needed to be more visible from the street. We came back two days later to check on progress and they had spray painted in large numbers and letter the address.

And I do agree with the construction manager part. Ours used to be a home inspection worker and he was just awesome. He had a good rapport with most of the inspectors so he was able to work with them on certain things in a much easier way. The sales person was done with us after we signed the contract. After that it was the construction manager we worked with.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through so many issues with your home. I feel your pain, my husband and I are in the midst of building our first home. It's quite the experience, that's for sure! We've had to be a thorn in our builders side and keep them accountable. We're about 2 months into the build and have had to stop by almost every day as there's constantly something they've done incorrectly. I don't think I would stand for my home being passed of the "assistants" to handle, it sounds like you have some serious issues here and I would demand to speak with someone more senior. We had endless problems with our agent and had to finally bypass her and go to the Sales Manager, he was useless so we bypassed him and went to the General Manager and finally started to receive some answers. I know how frustrating it is and how you feel like throwing in the towel but if you want to see this home completed, I think you're going to have to nag them until they're so sick of hearing from you, they'll be forced to answer your questions.
Yep, we were at our building site every night. At first I thought my dh was nuts, but we learned, people do not read. Wrong products were brought to our home, a stairwell was put in the wrong direction.
We also were handed off to a different contractor. Our house started in July, nothing got started till September, no work was done in October and November since every hunts. In December, work was limited because of Christmas. In January our siding was put on in freezing temps along with our stone work. We were told that we slowed up the work in the beginning, since we were slow picking out our products.
Would I build again-yes, but not with our previous contractor.

Cal

1. Call your attorney. Stand your ground. Save any contracts and documents for the attorney.
2. Start looking for a DIFFERENT builder-even looking at spec homes.
My DH and I have built/bought more than 16 homes in the last 30 years and any builder that gives you that much run-around is either in serious financial trouble OR a total idiot. I'm thinking both.
Good Luck to you.

I tend to agree. My dad was an architect for a long, loooong time. I recall in years past hearing stories similar to the OP's. In many instances, prospective home owners chose a contractor with the lowest bid, and unfortunately, that wasn't always wise. In many instances, a contractor with the lowest bid didn't do quality work for a variety of reasons. I recall one case of a client my dad did house plans for ending up in court. Seems the contractor they chose didn't have the experience to build the house for them in the first place. Delay after delay until bad weather *ruined* the house...and it still only partially built. They phoned my dad to come out to the job site and see the situation. They ended up in court (at my dad's urging) and won a huge amount in damages. OP may need legal advice on how to proceed. I sure hope it turns out better than you dreamed in the end...and soon!

OP here....

Yes we are standing our ground...

We went by the new house yesterday, and they had fixed the 1 vent hole in the kitchen on the inside, but they have not filled in the top hole, they did finally clean up the inside and finished the insulation and the baffles for the insulation in the attic space, and we now have orange X's all over the floors, and looks like they have delivered the rest of the drywall stuff but not more boards, I guess they will just take them from another house or whatever..... but they still have not addressed the insulation behind the tub, I hope they fix it as they will have to prove to us that they did it.... if they dry wall over it, I would hate for them to have to tear it out to prove it to us that they did it... We checked the doc box, to see what has failed, and it was a outlet in the laundry room that wasn't spaced according to code... and a window that need to be reset... The thing is we knew about these and they were fixed weeks ago... I think what happened is that the moved us over to the assistant, with poor communication, we got dropped in the rotation, and the assistant wants what he thinks are his house to be delivered on time, or the course of trying to make the boss look bad.... as he has written his name on the outside of them, in spray paint... our house does not have his name on it... so they are doing the finger pointing at each other... I will say everything was good up until this handing us off the assistant. Which I really don't have a problem with but someone needs to tell us... so we know what is going on...

No-one will just be honest and say... hey sorry we messed up, and this is what happened, and this is how we are going to fix it and get you back on schedule.. and get you into your new house...Instead we got a bunch of running around, lip service and BS, I can't stand being lied to or them acting like we are stupid or being talked to in a condescending manner... I will be going on a daily basis now to see what going on... We have taken pictures, videos and have every email, and text, just in case for legal purpose's.

I told the contractor... don't think for one minute that just because we are nice ...it doesn't mean we are weak and you are going to run all over us... If DH doesn't get a call today as promised.. it wont be pretty... he will get on the phone and keep going up the line till he gets someone who can figure things out and help us. Relentless, and determined are 2 of my DH's attributes...

I really don't want to have to go month to month as our landlord wants 200.00 dollars extra a month if we go that route... even if he will agree to it. Someone asked if we had a closing date yes, August 16th... which is not happening... We also have been getting all that last minute paper work to the mortgage company, so now that we are not closing in August... I have no idea how this is going to effect all the mortgage stuff....

Thanks for letting me vent off some steam...

Usually with a building loan, you only pay on the interest on the portion of the money paid out. At this point, you should be near 60%.
It is a very good idea to keep documenting. At the completion of the build, we had our walk thru and were told if we had problems, we were told we had to contact the people that put up the siding. My dh was able to show proof how something was not done correctly, by his documenting. He made sure they were responsible to fix it correctly.

Good luck OP. I totally get your frustration. There is a house near us getting built. They started last November and they met there budget with their contractor and fired them. They are slowly finishing the house themselves. He told us last night, he is trying to find a painter to finish up painting, and they got someone to do landscaping, some of the weeds outside were taller than the house.

The one thing you should not be shocked at is the delay. That's pretty typical. I bought my second home in March and it had an August delivery date also. Guess when I settled? The week before Thanksgiving. I had sold my first home and was living with my parents so I didn't have to worry about a lease. We had all sorts of things go on.

Anyway, you almost have to be on these people daily. It's hard to do if you're not close...I feel your pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter