Initially buy from broker then add points for DVC membership?

Jer291114family

Earning My Ears
Can I initially buy in to the DVC from a reseller then buy additional points from DVC and get the DVC membership & perks?

I am considering buying in and wanted to know can I use points for value & moderate?
Or the best way to do that if I can't is to rent out the points and pay cash at a value or moderate resort?

If I add points do i need to keep that same level every year then at renewal?

Yes you can buy resale then direct form Disney

However You can't use resale on the Disney Collection which is what the Moderate and art of animation fall under.

can I use points for value & moderate?
Only direct points can be traded for non-DVC properties at Disney, and are an extremely poor value to do so.

When you buy DVC you are buying a timeshare for length of use, which currently ranges from 2042 for some resorts to 2068, depending on resort. There is no "renewal." There are annual dues for length of contract. You cannot buy a contract shorter than the resort date.

If you want to stay in Mods and Value resorts, DVC is not a good fit.

Suggest that you cuddle up with the DIS, "a good book", spend some time reading about the DVC, the good and the not so good to see if it makes sense for your future.

:earsboy: Bill

DVC is only a good value when used at the DVC resorts. Like other timeshares, the value is best for stays within the system.

What you're buying is a "share" of a DVC resort. You become a part-owner of that resort. All ownership contracts at a particular resort have the same end date. That share gives you the right to use points for stays at DVC resorts, subject to availability, for the life of the contract. If you purchase direct from DVC, you'll also have access to some additional features, like the right to exchange your points for stays outside the system, at non-DVC Disney resorts (deluxes and moderates only), DCL, ABD, and some other vacation offerings. However, a quick look at the point charts will show you what a poor value that is. Also, those additional features, along with occasional discounts that direct purchasers receive, are subject to change or termination at any time.

Thanks everyone and I hear ya mustinjourney, this was literally my first day on this site and it seemed overwhelming to wade through searching for what I was after. I do want to buy into DVC just figuring out the nest bang for the buck like most people. Our family has been there five times since 2008 and my wife and i are going this December and then as a family in March. So that said I think it is past time for a DVC membership.

In short, DVC allows you to stay at nicer accommodations for less money. As a rough estimate, you are basically paying moderate prices for deluxe rooms.

So if your budget is value, then it's not likely a good option, since it has quite a few restrictions as compared to booking cash via disney.

Can I initially buy in to the DVC from a reseller then buy additional points from DVC and get the DVC membership & perks?

I am considering buying in and wanted to know can I use points for value & moderate?
Or the best way to do that if I can't is to rent out the points and pay cash at a value or moderate resort?

To answer your questions...

1. Yes -- you can buy resale and then buy direct and get access to membership perks. However, you can't use your resale points for cruises or other exchanges (RCI works with resale I believe).

2. Yes, you could use direct purchased points to stay at value and moderate but that would be incredibly stupid to do. I think it would cost you like 30 points a night to stay at Port Orleans...so you could either stay at grand floridian for 20 points a night, or Port orleans for 50% more. Doesn't make a lot of sense. This is why everyone says trading your DVC points for non-DVC stays is a very poor use of them.

3. If you are just buying DVC for the sole purpose of renting the points out to get cash so that you can then pay cash for value rooms, then I would suggest skipping DVC entirely. That would be a lot of headache for not much gain. At that point, you're just using DVC as an investment tool.

4. The points you have stay the same every year. There is no such thing as a renewal.

Thanks you have been a great help. We do typically stay at a moderate resort and I am not really looking at this for investment but just to continue what we have already been doing which is have the best time at the parks and resorts in WDW. From what I have read and listened to through podcasts the past few weeks I am with you in what you just laid out, buy direct and use the points for what they were meant for.

Thanks you have been a great help. We do typically stay at a moderate resort and I am not really looking at this for investment but just to continue what we have already been doing which is have the best time at the parks and resorts in WDW. From what I have read and listened to through podcasts the past few weeks I am with you in what you just laid out, buy direct and use the points for what they were meant for.

I would actually recommend buying the bulk of your points resale, and if annual passes are of interest, then buying a 25 point contract at the same resort in order to get the discounted APs.

Be forewarned -- buying DVC will not save you money though. You might spend less for your hotel per night, but you will go more often or you will upgrade your hotel stays (e.g., stay at deluxe instead of moderates).

IMO this is the new norm in purchasing for almost all new to DVC.

Thanks everyone and I hear ya mustinjourney, this was literally my first day on this site and it seemed overwhelming to wade through searching for what I was after. I do want to buy into DVC just figuring out the nest bang for the buck like most people. Our family has been there five times since 2008 and my wife and i are going this December and then as a family in March. So that said I think it is past time for a DVC membership.
You need to spend like 5-6 months of active investigation unless you have a ton of knowledge in other areas of Disney, DVC AND other timeshares.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter