Input on my family's Itinerary- 2021 trip Oahu

nikkistevej

DIS Veteran
Wed- arrive in Oahu (from Maryland), stay somewhere in Honolulu area until Monday
Thurs-Pearl harbor Day, Halona Blowhole, maybe Makapuu lookout trail
Fri-Hanauma Bay
Sat- Kualoa Ranch day
Sun- Waikiki Beach area
Mon-check out, drive to Aulani resort until Saturday
Tues-North Shore Shark Adventures, maybe Dole Plantation, stuff around North shore
Wed-??
Thurs-??
Fri-relax at resort, paradise Cove luau
Sat- fly home

Any thoughts, input would be great, things that we should definitely do and missing? It's just me, DH and DD18- we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and daughters high school graduation.

Thanks so much!!!

Wed- arrive in Oahu (from Maryland), stay somewhere in Honolulu area until Monday
I presume you mean the Waikiki area? Honolulu is an urban area and I'm not even sure what hotels are in Honolulu proper. None that I'd want to stay at. If you truly meant Honolulu and not Waikiki, I would urge you to consider booking a Waikiki area hotel. If you stay right on the strip, you're in walking distance of nearly everything in that area with access to tons of bus tours, restaurants, shops, etc. We did not want the hassle and expense of having a car during the Waikiki portion of our stay, so we relied on the bus tours, the trolley, and walking to accomplish everything we wanted to during that time. Also by staying in this area, it opens up Sunday for you as well. I suppose you could use that day to spend on the actual beach there, but Waikiki Beach itself is nothing to write home about. Great for people watching, but otherwise crowded and a small beachfront. Save the beach time for North Shore and Aulani.

Another area I would add to your itinerary, perhaps Thursday to break up your Aulani resort time, is Kailua. It could also be done Saturday depending on what you do at Kualoa Ranch because they are on the same side of the island, opposite of Aulani. Doing it on a Saturday would help to avoid traffic as well. Kailua had the most beautiful beaches we saw while in Hawaii. Its a quaint town with some nice local dining spots. Whenever we're able to return, I will be planning a full beach day there.

Not sure if you're hikers, but Diamond Head is another thing to consider. It would be easy to do, especially on a bus tour, during the Waikiki portion of your trip. Lots of people of all shapes and sizes do the hike, but I do think you need some level of endurance to do it. Its an effort and not something I'd do again on a future trip, but I'm glad to have the beautiful photos from the top and glad to say that I did it.

The spa at Aulani is one of the nicest spas I've been to. We didn't find it overpriced and the hydrotherapy garden is very unique, and that's included if you book a treatment. We spent a morning on one of our resort days at the spa and we loved it.

Lastly, I'm sure this goes without saying, but I have no idea what's open and available now and what will be when you travel in light of Covid. There's undoubtedly a lot that has changed since I was there, so I definitely recommend taking the time to look into the logistics, see what can be booked in advance, etc.

I was going to say what @nkereina said about Diamond Head. Assuming nobody has mobility issues (or a bad knee/hip/foot that could flare up if stressed), it’s worth a one-time climb for the view IMO. We did it in the morning and Hanauma Bay in the afternoon. If you’re beer drinkers, I’d recommend lunch or dinner that day at Kona Brewing (at Koko Marina); I love my Kona beer! Many say the Tantalus Lookout drive has comparable views if you don’t have the time or the ability for DH.

I think the rest of your itinerary sounds great—pretty much the same things we did. We also snorkeled at Sharks Cove on the north shore. It was fun, but we didn’t see quite as many fish (nor as many large ones, but some unique ones too) as at HBay. I like the luau on the last night—perfect ending.

Definitely keep those ?? days open to just enjoy the resort! It takes a bunch of trips around the lazy river to find all the hidden goodies :) Don’t forget to do sunset pics on the beach at Aulani on a couple of different nights—you never know which ones will wmd up being your fave.

I presume you mean the Waikiki area? Honolulu is an urban area and I'm not even sure what hotels are in Honolulu proper. None that I'd want to stay at. If you truly meant Honolulu and not Waikiki, I would urge you to consider booking a Waikiki area hotel. If you stay right on the strip, you're in walking distance of nearly everything in that area with access to tons of bus tours, restaurants, shops, etc. We did not want the hassle and expense of having a car during the Waikiki portion of our stay, so we relied on the bus tours, the trolley, and walking to accomplish everything we wanted to during that time. Also by staying in this area, it opens up Sunday for you as well. I suppose you could use that day to spend on the actual beach there, but Waikiki Beach itself is nothing to write home about. Great for people watching, but otherwise crowded and a small beachfront. Save the beach time for North Shore and Aulani.

Another area I would add to your itinerary, perhaps Thursday to break up your Aulani resort time, is Kailua. It could also be done Saturday depending on what you do at Kualoa Ranch because they are on the same side of the island, opposite of Aulani. Doing it on a Saturday would help to avoid traffic as well. Kailua had the most beautiful beaches we saw while in Hawaii. Its a quaint town with some nice local dining spots. Whenever we're able to return, I will be planning a full beach day there.

Not sure if you're hikers, but Diamond Head is another thing to consider. It would be easy to do, especially on a bus tour, during the Waikiki portion of your trip. Lots of people of all shapes and sizes do the hike, but I do think you need some level of endurance to do it. Its an effort and not something I'd do again on a future trip, but I'm glad to have the beautiful photos from the top and glad to say that I did it.

The spa at Aulani is one of the nicest spas I've been to. We didn't find it overpriced and the hydrotherapy garden is very unique, and that's included if you book a treatment. We spent a morning on one of our resort days at the spa and we loved it.

Lastly, I'm sure this goes without saying, but I have no idea what's open and available now and what will be when you travel in light of Covid. There's undoubtedly a lot that has changed since I was there, so I definitely recommend taking the time to look into the logistics, see what can be booked in advance, etc.
Thanks so much for your reply!! I love getting all that info. I did mean the Waikiki area, or close to there. Maybe we will just go people watch a little Sunday instead of the whole day. Wasn't really sure what we would do there that day.

At Kualoa Ranch, we were booking an early ATV ride and then exploring the surrounding area. I will note the town name and we can o there as well.

We were definitely looking at Diamond Head, DH and I are overweight(although we are working on losing now) because we really want to do some hikes and all.

Also we were looking at Aulani spa, thinking because it's our anniversary we could do some spa treatment there.

Of course with Covid, that throws a wrench in any plans we are thinking. We've had these plans for years, and I'm so over it all.

Really appreciate your feedback, adding this stuff to my list. :)

I was going to say what @nkereina said about Diamond Head. Assuming nobody has mobility issues (or a bad knee/hip/foot that could flare up if stressed), it’s worth a one-time climb for the view IMO. We did it in the morning and Hanauma Bay in the afternoon. If you’re beer drinkers, I’d recommend lunch or dinner that day at Kona Brewing (at Koko Marina); I love my Kona beer! Many say the Tantalus Lookout drive has comparable views if you don’t have the time or the ability for DH.

I think the rest of your itinerary sounds great—pretty much the same things we did. We also snorkeled at Sharks Cove on the north shore. It was fun, but we didn’t see quite as many fish (nor as many large ones, but some unique ones too) as at HBay. I like the luau on the last night—perfect ending.

Definitely keep those ?? days open to just enjoy the resort! It takes a bunch of trips around the lazy river to find all the hidden goodies :) Don’t forget to do sunset pics on the beach at Aulani on a couple of different nights—you never know which ones will wmd up being your fave.
No mobility issues, just a little intimidated by the hike. We could probably do it slowly. LOL I'll also look at the Tantalus Lookout also.

I'm gonna all of this to my itinerary and see how it fits. We don't know if we will ever get back, trying to see all 50 states, and more to go.

We really want to relax and enjoy the family time too. DD will be heading off to college in Fall 2021 and we've always traveled together and been a tight family unit. Want to enjoy the time.

I DEFINITELY wanted to do the luau the last night- like you said the perfect ending.

Really appreciate the feedback!! :)

At Kualoa Ranch, we were booking an early ATV ride and then exploring the surrounding area. I will note the town name and we can o there as well.
We did the morning VIP movie tour at Kualoa Ranch. We finished around lunch time and the buffet lunch at the ranch. I'm not sure how that's changed since covid, but it was delicious and a really great value. The food/meat is grown and raised on the ranch, grass fed, etc. Very good.

From what I recall, there's not much in the surrounding area of the ranch to explore. The ranch owns quite a bit of land in the immediate vicinity, and its kind of a two lane highway in either direction. We saw a good bit of the area after exiting the highway and driving over to the ranch, and it was mostly residential and commercial (grocery stores, etc) in the main areas. We did visit Byodo-In Temple which is nearby. We're big Lost fans and the temple was featured in the show. It was no more than 20 minute stop for us. From there, we went to Kailua and spent the rest of the afternoon there wandering around. We spent a little time on the beach but didn't have a change of clothes - if I could do it again, I would have brought our beach clothes and towels to spend the afternoon there. I think it would make a nice stop after getting dirty and sweaty on the ATVs at the ranch!

We were definitely looking at Diamond Head, DH and I are overweight(although we are working on losing now) because we really want to do some hikes and all.
DH and I are average build, but do not exercise and do not do sports or any physical activity whatsoever. In researching Hawaii tourist attractions, Diamond Head was one of the most recommended and the majority of reviews would refer to it as a relatively mild hike. We did see all ages and sizes, and even people who were ill-prepared for the hike wearing things like jeans and sandals. There are no steep inclines, but there are some stairs at the end near the top. If you want to give it a go, I would suggest going early - I'm not sure what time the path opens, but we went with Oahu Nature Tours and got there about 9am. We were done about 11am. The trail was fine on the way up, but on the way back down it was noticeably more crowded with a steady stream of people. The earlier you go, the more leeway and space there will be to pull over and take a break if needed. It will also be easier to find parking early because parking is limited, and sometimes people have to park a good distance away making for a long walk before even reaching the trail. Luckily our tour dropped us off right at the start of the trail. Also keep in mind there's no shade, so hats would be a good idea too.

Also we were looking at Aulani spa, thinking because it's our anniversary we could do some spa treatment there.
Great idea! We did a couple's massage and it was great. I'd suggest booking a morning appointment so you can spend as long as you want in the hydrotherapy gardens. The gardens and locker room facilities are yours to use with no limit on the same day of your treatment. You can even leave and come back same day if you want to. I know some people liked booking their spa appointments on the morning of their last day (when they had a late flight) because its a nice, relaxing way to end the trip and prepare for a long flight home, and having access to the locker room facilities all day gave them a place to shower and freshen up before heading for the airport. There is a lounge available to people after check out, but its often crowded and its one time use only. The spa locker room will allow you in and out on the same day of your treatment.

We did the morning VIP movie tour at Kualoa Ranch. We finished around lunch time and the buffet lunch at the ranch. I'm not sure how that's changed since covid, but it was delicious and a really great value. The food/meat is grown and raised on the ranch, grass fed, etc. Very good.

From what I recall, there's not much in the surrounding area of the ranch to explore. The ranch owns quite a bit of land in the immediate vicinity, and its kind of a two lane highway in either direction. We saw a good bit of the area after exiting the highway and driving over to the ranch, and it was mostly residential and commercial (grocery stores, etc) in the main areas. We did visit Byodo-In Temple which is nearby. We're big Lost fans and the temple was featured in the show. It was no more than 20 minute stop for us. From there, we went to Kailua and spent the rest of the afternoon there wandering around. We spent a little time on the beach but didn't have a change of clothes - if I could do it again, I would have brought our beach clothes and towels to spend the afternoon there. I think it would make a nice stop after getting dirty and sweaty on the ATVs at the ranch!

DH and I are average build, but do not exercise and do not do sports or any physical activity whatsoever. In researching Hawaii tourist attractions, Diamond Head was one of the most recommended and the majority of reviews would refer to it as a relatively mild hike. We did see all ages and sizes, and even people who were ill-prepared for the hike wearing things like jeans and sandals. There are no steep inclines, but there are some stairs at the end near the top. If you want to give it a go, I would suggest going early - I'm not sure what time the path opens, but we went with Oahu Nature Tours and got there about 9am. We were done about 11am. The trail was fine on the way up, but on the way back down it was noticeably more crowded with a steady stream of people. The earlier you go, the more leeway and space there will be to pull over and take a break if needed. It will also be easier to find parking early because parking is limited, and sometimes people have to park a good distance away making for a long walk before even reaching the trail. Luckily our tour dropped us off right at the start of the trail. Also keep in mind there's no shade, so hats would be a good idea too.

Great idea! We did a couple's massage and it was great. I'd suggest booking a morning appointment so you can spend as long as you want in the hydrotherapy gardens. The gardens and locker room facilities are yours to use with no limit on the same day of your treatment. You can even leave and come back same day if you want to. I know some people liked booking their spa appointments on the morning of their last day (when they had a late flight) because its a nice, relaxing way to end the trip and prepare for a long flight home, and having access to the locker room facilities all day gave them a place to shower and freshen up before heading for the airport. There is a lounge available to people after check out, but its often crowded and its one time use only. The spa locker room will allow you in and out on the same day of your treatment.
Thanks so much!!! Definitely appreciate the tips/info. I think we will try Diamond Head, we'll just go early.

Can't wait to check all of that out!

Thanks so much!!! Definitely appreciate the tips/info. I think we will try Diamond Head, we'll just go early.

Can't wait to check all of that out!
And to second @nkereina its not an overly strenuous thing, but don’t go in flip-flops. The trail is paved in some spots, but dirt and rocks in other places, plus the stairs. We did it in Keen sandals though; you don’t need hiking boots or shoes. We actually wore our swimsuits with athletic shorts and tank tops over them, so we could go straight to HBay afterwards.

Also, specifics WRT parking....the base of the trail is inside the crater, so you drive through the wall to get in. There is parking inside, but there is overflow parking outside which you will pass first. Check inside first, and double back if needed. There is also a community college (IIRC) right across the street in case both those lots are full, but I’d say if (on the very unlikely chance)both lots are full, punt to another day! It would be way too crowded to enjoy.

And to second @nkereina its not an overly strenuous thing, but don’t go in flip-flops. The trail is paved in some spots, but dirt and rocks in other places, plus the stairs. We did it in Keen sandals though; you don’t need hiking boots or shoes. We actually wore our swimsuits with athletic shorts and tank tops over them, so we could go straight to HBay afterwards.

Also, specifics WRT parking....the base of the trail is inside the crater, so you drive through the wall to get in. There is parking inside, but there is overflow parking outside which you will pass first. Check inside first, and double back if needed. There is also a community college (IIRC) right across the street in case both those lots are full, but I’d say if (on the very unlikely chance)both lots are full, punt to another day! It would be way too crowded to enjoy.
Thanks so much!! I am keeping track of all this info! :)

Something to consider on one of your Aulani days is Wild Side Specialty Tours which operates off of the same side of the island as Aulani. It’s a small-group charter with whale-watching, swimming with spinner dolphins and snorkeling. The excursion is very personalized and the guide and boat captain are incredibly knowledgeable and looking to give you the best possible experience given you’re at the mercy of the wildlife. We did a morning excursion and were back at Aulani for the afternoon.

Something to consider on one of your Aulani days is Wild Side Specialty Tours which operates off of the same side of the island as Aulani. It’s a small-group charter with whale-watching, swimming with spinner dolphins and snorkeling. The excursion is very personalized and the guide and boat captain are incredibly knowledgeable and looking to give you the best possible experience given you’re at the mercy of the wildlife. We did a morning excursion and were back at Aulani for the afternoon.
Definitely wouldn't mind doing something like that, especially when it's only 1/2 day type thing. Thanks so much!!! Gonna look at that.

If you can, plan for early morning activities at the beginning of your trip.. coming from the east coast, you will be waking up early in your first few days. So those are good days to take an early morning boat ride, dolphin, whale, shark excursion etc...

Over on the Kualoa Ranch side, it is a nice scenic drive there as the ocean will always be on your right side when you get to Kamehameha Hwy. You could venture south afterwards and stop by at Kailua. As someone mentioned... I also agree it's one of the best beaches. Love just chilling on the waters there. If want snorkeling, Lanikai is the next area south of Kailua. Parking is a bit tougher as you'll be in residential area, but there is beach access as required by law.

You could head north from Kualoa and eat around Kahuku where the Shrimp farms are. There is a nice pod of food trucks with Giovanni's there as well, but I like Kalbi on Fire and love that it's "truck" is a School Bus. It is a long drive though. If you do want to take that trek, then beyond that, you'll be heading to North Shore where you'll see Turtle Bay first. Turtle Bay is nice, especially if you have younger kids. Might have a chance to see a monk seal there as well as Turtles. You can continue South West and see Pipeline if you are coming in the winter for big waves as well as Waimea. Then loop through Haleiwa where you can stop by for some shaved ice. That's where Matsumoto's and Aoki are. However, I like Anahulu's or Kula. This is a really long drive, so I'd recommend the Kailua option after Kualoa, but this can give you ideas if you want to see North Shore.

Hi! I did a 25th anniversary (plus my in-laws' 50th!) last year and took our then 16 year old daughter with us for 2 weeks last year. There are a lot of little stops, many of them not exactly world class, but many also free or cheap (think state parks, scenic overlooks... we liked the plumeria gardens that are on the east side of the island and combined them with other stops like Hanauma Bay. We didn't have much use for Waikiki Beach but my coworker spent most of her days there on her trip. We did enjoy shopping in the area after dining at one of the nice restaurants there.
You say about your Thursday "Thurs-Pearl harbor Day, Halona Blowhole, maybe Makapuu lookout trail," and Pearl Harbor and Halona are not near each other. And the drive across that part of the island is a bit exhausting whether you go through the busier parts of Honolulu or head north to "avoid" it as you cross back and forth. Consider a dedicated Pearl Harbor day, and another day in the Halona area (lots of good trails and botanical gardens, plus it's near Hanauma Bay). The island is small, but the city is crowded, and the roads everywhere else are slow going, so keep that in mind.
We didn't go to the ranch but our first week was spent very near it in an Airbnb at Punaluu before they changed that law so you can only rent those for a full month (not just a week on the ocean, which we did very affordably as the east coast is not that popular). That area has the Polynesian Cultural Center, which we really liked (it's pricey).
The drive along the north coast including Turtle Bay is great, with many beaches to stop at if you can find parking, and cool sites, all free (public parks).
We did a great dolphin cruise that included snorkeling in a good area. This was north of Kapolei (Dolphin Star might have been the name?). Wildlife all depends on the time of year you go.
We also loved the Byodo-In in the valley of temples area. Very peaceful, fairly unique.
We did Aulani's luau as we were staying next door and it was convenient--we all loved it. Others are cheaper, I guess. Great food, great dancing. Not quite "authentic" as these things go.
Lastly, I'll mention Shangri-La, which you have to buy admission for through the Honolulu Art Museum, which is itself worth it if you like museums at all. Shangri-La is an extra admission; they take you on a bus to that part of the city to see Doris Duke's (of the Duke University/Duke cigarettes family) mansion, filled with art from the Islamic world.

If you can, plan for early morning activities at the beginning of your trip.. coming from the east coast, you will be waking up early in your first few days. So those are good days to take an early morning boat ride, dolphin, whale, shark excursion etc...

Over on the Kualoa Ranch side, it is a nice scenic drive there as the ocean will always be on your right side when you get to Kamehameha Hwy. You could venture south afterwards and stop by at Kailua. As someone mentioned... I also agree it's one of the best beaches. Love just chilling on the waters there. If want snorkeling, Lanikai is the next area south of Kailua. Parking is a bit tougher as you'll be in residential area, but there is beach access as required by law.

You could head north from Kualoa and eat around Kahuku where the Shrimp farms are. There is a nice pod of food trucks with Giovanni's there as well, but I like Kalbi on Fire and love that it's "truck" is a School Bus. It is a long drive though. If you do want to take that trek, then beyond that, you'll be heading to North Shore where you'll see Turtle Bay first. Turtle Bay is nice, especially if you have younger kids. Might have a chance to see a monk seal there as well as Turtles. You can continue South West and see Pipeline if you are coming in the winter for big waves as well as Waimea. Then loop through Haleiwa where you can stop by for some shaved ice. That's where Matsumoto's and Aoki are. However, I like Anahulu's or Kula. This is a really long drive, so I'd recommend the Kailua option after Kualoa, but this can give you ideas if you want to see North Shore.
Lots of good info here!! Much appreciated. We are going in June, so more time to plan!! We like to relax a few days, but mostly want to explore, we enjoy that. Thanks so much!!

Hi! I did a 25th anniversary (plus my in-laws' 50th!) last year and took our then 16 year old daughter with us for 2 weeks last year. There are a lot of little stops, many of them not exactly world class, but many also free or cheap (think state parks, scenic overlooks... we liked the plumeria gardens that are on the east side of the island and combined them with other stops like Hanauma Bay. We didn't have much use for Waikiki Beach but my coworker spent most of her days there on her trip. We did enjoy shopping in the area after dining at one of the nice restaurants there.
You say about your Thursday "Thurs-Pearl harbor Day, Halona Blowhole, maybe Makapuu lookout trail," and Pearl Harbor and Halona are not near each other. And the drive across that part of the island is a bit exhausting whether you go through the busier parts of Honolulu or head north to "avoid" it as you cross back and forth. Consider a dedicated Pearl Harbor day, and another day in the Halona area (lots of good trails and botanical gardens, plus it's near Hanauma Bay). The island is small, but the city is crowded, and the roads everywhere else are slow going, so keep that in mind.
We didn't go to the ranch but our first week was spent very near it in an Airbnb at Punaluu before they changed that law so you can only rent those for a full month (not just a week on the ocean, which we did very affordably as the east coast is not that popular). That area has the Polynesian Cultural Center, which we really liked (it's pricey).
The drive along the north coast including Turtle Bay is great, with many beaches to stop at if you can find parking, and cool sites, all free (public parks).
We did a great dolphin cruise that included snorkeling in a good area. This was north of Kapolei (Dolphin Star might have been the name?). Wildlife all depends on the time of year you go.
We also loved the Byodo-In in the valley of temples area. Very peaceful, fairly unique.
We did Aulani's luau as we were staying next door and it was convenient--we all loved it. Others are cheaper, I guess. Great food, great dancing. Not quite "authentic" as these things go.
Lastly, I'll mention Shangri-La, which you have to buy admission for through the Honolulu Art Museum, which is itself worth it if you like museums at all. Shangri-La is an extra admission; they take you on a bus to that part of the city to see Doris Duke's (of the Duke University/Duke cigarettes family) mansion, filled with art from the Islamic world.
I'll have to look at that Pearl Harbor day then, might have to change that around. Thanks for the tips, we have to make some changes lol

Is Wed still swap meet day at Aloha Stadium? We were surprised how much fun it was to wander in there and we got reasonably priced "touristy" souvenirs to take home. If you do go to swap meet, I'd allow an hour or so (depending on how much you all enjoy browsing.

Is Wed still swap meet day at Aloha Stadium? We were surprised how much fun it was to wander in there and we got reasonably priced "touristy" souvenirs to take home. If you do go to swap meet, I'd allow an hour or so (depending on how much you all enjoy browsing.
Plus you can take a peek inside the stadium if you’re a football fan. And pick up some UH Rainbow Warriors gear from their gift shop :) They really did seem to appreciate the business.

We will definitely need to pick up some souvenirs, so we will add that to itinerary!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter