Ins & outs of travelling with infant ?

MickeyMagic

DIS Veteran
We are travelling to WDW over Spring break (3-21/3-30) with an infant (11 months old) for the first time. My sister is considering bringing an infant car seat (the rear-facing type) and also a medium-sized stroller (the type that lays down & not the compact umbrella-type). We are flying on Delta and renting a car from National for a couple days. I could use any and all information/advice you might have!

Infant Seat: Is there any hope of getting an empty seat on the airplane for the infant to use? Is there some way to check on this before the day of departure? Can the infant seat be checked at the gate if no seat is available or is it checked in with the rest of the luggage? Will it still be in one piece if she checks it?

If she decides not to bring the infant seat, any concerns with renting one from National Car? We will be driving 2-1/2 hours each way to go visit our brother, so the quality & comfort of the infant seat is very important.

Stroller: Can she check this larger type stroller at the gate when boarding the plane? We'd like to have it to use at the airport, so we don't want to check it with luggage.

Will the infant seat and stroller each count towards her baggage limit?

I appreciate your help!!

1. I have never flown without buying a seat for my children so I really don't know if there will be a seat available, but I do know that you won't be able to find out until the day of departure and it's usually at the gate. So, that way, you'll gate check the car seat if no seat is available. I'd definately bring your own seat, since it's the one the baby is used to since you'll be doing a bit of driving. I would never trust a seat from a rental company.

2. I always gate check my double stroller, so I'm sure you won't have a problem gate checking that stroller.

We lived in Japen when my boys were little so I have a ton of experience with these issues! Definately bring your own car seat. When you check in for the flight (or call a few days ahead) request an open adjacent seat. Delta is pretty good about that. If the flight is not booked and there are not enough standbys they will try really hard to give you an extra seat.

Also, definately bring your stroller to the gate. They will hand check it and then it will be brought up to the gate again when you land. They will also hand check the car seat if you can't find an empty seat for it. If your baby is still on the bottle make sure he/she has it when taking off. Helps with the ear pressure! Have a great flight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter