Interesting Rolling Stone article on college debt

The thing that seems to have changed is that students seem unfazed by the amounts and just assume they'll be able to pay it back. At the time he came out of college with 10K in federal loans and a STEM job making 32K. Not so terribly dissimilar to someone who takes the federal loans of approx. 27K now and gets a new STEM job making 82K. (My numbers are from my area and I know them because DH and son who recently graduated have same degree.)

And that hits on a factor that I don't think has been mentioned yet - the starting pay for a lot of jobs that require degrees hasn't increased, even as tuition has gone through the roof. It isn't so bad for those in STEM fields, but to go back to an earlier example... My SIL's first teaching job paid $26K in the early 90s, when college cost a (ridiculous, to hear my inlaws tell it) $2500/year. Now, a new teacher starts at $32K and tuition at the same university costs $12,500. Even commuting, not taking into account transportation or books and assuming the family doesn't expect any contribution towards living expenses, the Pell grant doesn't cover even half of the tuition bill.

But with the job prospects for non-degreed workers getting dimmer all the time and wages in those fields falling even further short of keeping up with inflation. In fact, in my area some jobs are paying the same in actual dollar terms as they did when I was in high school, 20-odd years ago. My brother and my high school boyfriend both made $10-12/hr working construction in the summers in the late 90s; my son and his friends are earning $10-12/hr working construction in the summers now.

In my experience, it's not the disadvantaged kids that have problems. There are programs for them. Those that I see having problems are kids with a high expected family contribution that their family can't (or in some cases just won't) meet. Those are the kids I see continuing and ignoring the mounting loans. Where I live, it's not uncommon at all for kids from families that are less financially fortunate to make much wiser choices and compromises. It's the kids who have always had money that have issues. They just don't seem to "get" it.

I think it is a different set of problems. Disadvantaged kids don't seem to get themselves into as much trouble with student loans, but I think that's because they often don't have co-signers to help them do it. But they can end up in an equally bad situation because the max Pell grant and the federal loan limit often do not go far enough to complete a degree program. They also seem to struggle more with commuting for lack of reliable transportation, and with mandatory internship requirements because they can't afford to take time off of their paying jobs to work for free without increasing the amount they borrow. Two of the better students I encountered when I went back to school faced their senior years with absolute panic because their Pell grant covered less than half of the tuition, they were running out of borrowing ability and had no one to co-sign or take on parent plus loans, and had no idea how they were supposed to manage to get to and from an internship (neither had a car - room & board can be cheaper than the cost of car ownership here in the most expensive state for auto insurance). And these were poor kids from single-parent homes in Detroit, not suburban kids spending freely to mimic the standard of living they had at home.

For me my initial tuition was $192 per credit hour back in 2006. It stayed the same until my junior year where it was raised and then again raised for my senior year. I want to say I paid $213 or 218 per credit hour. My husband, who started his freshman year when the compact first started in 2007, has a per credit hour of $208 I think it was for all 4 years. The credit hour for the 2017-2018 year I believe the credit hour is now $313-$318 per credit hour. They were just awarded by the state another 6% raise I believe for next year's tuition if I remember correctly. The reason the University sought to raise tuition was because funds kept being taken away from them. Now I have no idea if they are secretly stashing money as mentioned in the article but I do have no doubt due to the political climate of my state that education funds were being taken away because of state budgetary issues.

That's an interesting idea, and one that might help a bit. I know just in the 2.5 years it took me to get my bachelors (after transferring from community college), tuition went up about $70 per credit hour - a 17% increase. In-state undergrad tuition is now $480/credit.

Yep that's about right, I graduated in 1988 and my tuition for all 4 years was $12,000. I'm still having a bit of a disconnect on why the tuition jumped so much if it wasn't for the fact that the government started handing out all these loans. And really not as many kids went to college back then to get pell grants compared to the numbers in college today. I hear about the cut in state funding, but honestly I have no clue who much money the states paid toward college anyway:scratchin

State have slashed education funding over the years, some by as much as 70%. At the same time, federal aid has shifted from supporting grant-based models (like the Pell grant, which would be more than twice the amount it is now if it had been indexed to educational inflation, but also research grants and other indirect supports) to pushing public-private partnerships with a profit motive. That drives up costs as well, to raise revenue to be able to provide profits in addition to covering operating costs. Plus there are changes within the schools themselves, in terms of what administrators are paid, how much they pour into athletics and facilities (which is in part an indirect reaction to funding cuts, as public universities actively try to attract out-of-state and international students who pay higher rates), etc.

If you have 5 colleges within driving distance of your house there is no reason to take on loans to go live somewhere else. If you do that was a choice you made knowing the consequences. If you need to work a few years between high school and college or take some part time classes at a community college before transferring do that.

But a lot of people don't have schools within commuting distance, and not all schools offer something for every field of study. I commuted to the closest school to my house to finish my degree, as an adult student with a family, and I wouldn't recommend it to any high schooler in my community - it is 1.5 hours without traffic, I had to leave by 6:30 for a 9am class because of traffic, and the first two positions I applied for after graduation went to former classmates who lived on campus and were thus able to build a stronger resume via student jobs and internships while I was busy driving back and forth. And if if she wanted to, my daughter doesn't have that choice - it is well over 2 hours to the closest school that offers something close to her intended major.

Even working can backfire- the FAFSA assumes half of student income is available for college expenses, but a kid working a $10/hr job in my area barely has half his income leftover after paying taxes and insurance/gas on the car he needs to get to work. So the hours worked can end up reducing grant aid, rather than loans, for kids from lower/middle income families. Unless something is done to contain costs, big loans will continue to be the price of a college degree for many students.

I guess a lot of it must depend on where you live then. I live in the DC area and have a two nurse friends and was told that the BSN is required here for all employment unless you want to be an assistant of some sort. Phlebotomists and assistants in the medical field here barely make a decent wage so I have been told. My daughter did look into being a dental hygienist but in our area they are now only hiring ones with 4 year degrees. She worked for an orthodontist/dentist her first year out of college and they would not ever pay her more than $13 per hour and she was assisting the orthodontist in administering to the braces. Now this definitely must vary based on locality but I think the competition in this area is too fierce and they all want 4 years of college for these jobs. Not for phlebotomy of course, but that was a low-pay field. Certainly not on par with an electrician or welder!
Thats how it is here with nursing. My sister is a nurse & worked with just an RN at first but for not a lot of $ & her choices were limited. She even had a BS but it wasn’t in nursing. She had to go back & get her BSN to make a decent wage. Now she makes a good bit.

I guess a lot of it must depend on where you live then. I live in the DC area and have a two nurse friends and was told that the BSN is required here for all employment unless you want to be an assistant of some sort. Phlebotomists and assistants in the medical field here barely make a decent wage so I have been told. My daughter did look into being a dental hygienist but in our area they are now only hiring ones with 4 year degrees. She worked for an orthodontist/dentist her first year out of college and they would not ever pay her more than $13 per hour and she was assisting the orthodontist in administering to the braces. Now this definitely must vary based on locality but I think the competition in this area is too fierce and they all want 4 years of college for these jobs. Not for phlebotomy of course, but that was a low-pay field. Certainly not on par with an electrician or welder!

That's how it is here too. The "feminine" trades that have been mentioned pay in the $12-16/hr range - better than a person is likely to get without a degree, unless they're training in one of those male dominated trades or doing physically taxing work, but still only half of what a welder or electrician makes with the same two years of education - and competition is such that a four-year degree is a very helpful if not technically essential to landing a job. I'm in a rural area where most of the jobs are physical labor - construction, manufacturing, and agriculture are our biggest industries and few of those jobs are particularly attractive or accessible to women, which creates a lot of competition for medical/dental/vet support staff positions because failing that you're left mostly with retail and food service as your choices.

Just for a different perspective - I graduated in the 90s and had ~$100,000 of debt out of undergrad. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I got into my dream school. My parents paid for some stuff, but couldn't pay for much. I got a very small grant, and some subsidized loans and most of the debt was in the form of a PLUS loan that my parents co-signed, but made very clear to me that it was *my* debt to pay back.
Yes, I had to watch a video. Yes, I had to sign a zillion papers with really big numbers written out in really bold letters.

I can't say it got me an especially better job. I'm an engineer, and when I graduated they were in *very* high demand so I'm sure I could have gotten the same job I did if I had gone to a state school. But I loved my undergrad experience and absolutely believe it shaped who I am. I had to make sacrifices to pay back my loans, and definitely once accepted the higher paying job that I wasn't as excited aobut. But those were trades I was willing to make.

All of which is to say, there's nothing inherently wrong about borrowing money for education - just as there is nothing wrong with borrowing money for a house or a car - as long as you understand the risks and what you're getting into.

People must be finding a way to pay tuition, because Universities are still turning away students.

Sort of like Disney trips/cruises, expensive, but if it is important enough to you, you find a way to pay for it.

That's how it is here too. The "feminine" trades that have been mentioned pay in the $12-16/hr range - better than a person is likely to get without a degree, unless they're training in one of those male dominated trades or doing physically taxing work, but still only half of what a welder or electrician makes with the same two years of education - and competition is such that a four-year degree is a very helpful if not technically essential to landing a job. I'm in a rural area where most of the jobs are physical labor - construction, manufacturing, and agriculture are our biggest industries and few of those jobs are particularly attractive or accessible to women, which creates a lot of competition for medical/dental/vet support staff positions because failing that you're left mostly with retail and food service as your choices.

Exactly. And not that we don't want the most qualified/well-trained nurses; we do. But really, a 4 year degree? As tolzkien pointed out, nursing is a wonderful "trade" type of job that should require 4 years of college. It's definitely a "healing art" and, IMO, requires a certain sort of special person; not just people who can manage to pay for 4 years of college. There should be a short program and/or apprenticeship for learning the necessary skills of lifesaving, drug administration, etc.

This leads me to the next part of this discussion and that is that we are now "requiring" more education than is necessary for many positions and I think if we could stop that it would help. When my daughter graduated in 2014 and did not have a job lined up, she just started looking for a receptionist, office staff position. Fortunately, she had the degree to get herself an interview. Otherwise, she couldn't have even gotten a job like that. That's just ridiculous.

People must be finding a way to pay tuition, because Universities are still turning away students.

Sort of like Disney trips/cruises, expensive, but if it is important enough to you, you find a way to pay for it.
Yes. Most ppl are taking loans that some can’t afford to pay back. Kinda the point of the article & the thread. The rising costs & unaffordability of college was brought up in response to posters who have said they paid for college themselves just by working & sacrifice. That’s not as possible now.

Just for a different perspective - I graduated in the 90s and had ~$100,000 of debt out of undergrad. And I would do it again in a heartbeat.
I got into my dream school. My parents paid for some stuff, but couldn't pay for much. I got a very small grant, and some subsidized loans and most of the debt was in the form of a PLUS loan that my parents co-signed, but made very clear to me that it was *my* debt to pay back.
Yes, I had to watch a video. Yes, I had to sign a zillion papers with really big numbers written out in really bold letters.

I can't say it got me an especially better job. I'm an engineer, and when I graduated they were in *very* high demand so I'm sure I could have gotten the same job I did if I had gone to a state school. But I loved my undergrad experience and absolutely believe it shaped who I am. I had to make sacrifices to pay back my loans, and definitely once accepted the higher paying job that I wasn't as excited aobut. But those were trades I was willing to make.

All of which is to say, there's nothing inherently wrong about borrowing money for education - just as there is nothing wrong with borrowing money for a house or a car - as long as you understand the risks and what you're getting into.

I also agree about the experience. I had close to $100k with grad school. But, I did make a “good” choice about a major (part of why I went to grad school) so I can afford my loan payments too. But, I also firmly believe that my entire experience shaped who I am. I know others who just went to college at the university near their house & they just don’t get it. My university experience is STILL part of who I am. I would do it again exactly the same way even with the hefty student loan bill.

But, I understand the article & that not everyone can pick a major that will allow them to pay such a hefty price tag but some still need to attend college to get any decent paying job.

Exactly. And not that we don't want the most qualified/well-trained nurses; we do. But really, a 4 year degree? As tolzkien pointed out, nursing is a wonderful "trade" type of job that should require 4 years of college. It's definitely a "healing art" and, IMO, requires a certain sort of special person; not just people who can manage to pay for 4 years of college. There should be a short program and/or apprenticeship for learning the necessary skills of lifesaving, drug administration, etc.

This leads me to the next part of this discussion and that is that we are now "requiring" more education than is necessary for many positions and I think if we could stop that it would help. When my daughter graduated in 2014 and did not have a job lined up, she just started looking for a receptionist, office staff position. Fortunately, she had the degree to get herself an interview. Otherwise, she couldn't have even gotten a job like that. That's just ridiculous.
Agreed. So then the bachelor’s degree becomes what a HS diploma used to be but costs waaaaay more to get. So ppl end up in low paying entry level jobs & can’t afford their loan payments. But without the degree they would be stuck working minimum wage jobs.

Further, in Louisiana, there is a new rule that it will soon be part of high school graduation REQUIREMENTS to fill out FAFSA before graduation! So not only are students encouraged to go to college but required to see what financial aid they qualify for.

Locally, there are schools in Memphis, TN had push students to apply to over 100 colleges with the intention to rack up hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars in possible scholarships. It's bragging rights for the school, and for a school district that many in the area consider to be a joke.

Here are a few articles on the local "Million Dollar Scholars":
https://www.insidehighered.com/admi...-college-students-seek-1-million-scholarships
http://abcnews.go.com/US/memphis-high-school-senior-class-collects-80-million/story?id=46936872
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/memphi...colleges-offered-over-7-million-scholarships/

Working and paying your own way was possible back then. With tuition/room and board escalating faster than inflation and far out stripping wage increases, this is impossible now. When I went to undergrad, tuition for the last year I was there was $989 total. I made more than that working full time in the summer before (earned about 1600). Then, I had work study during the school year. I edited the college newspaper and made another $350 (I know....huge....LOL). I also had Pell Grants. Tuition at the U of M is now close to $15000 for a year (tuition alone....this is a straight up comparison of the two numbers, my last year and current). To make $15000 now in 12 weeks of summer vacation, you'd need to make $1250 per week, or over $30 an hour. Not many jobs like that for undergrads.

I think when people say working their way through college, they mean working year-round, not just during Summer break. But yes, either way it’s a LOT harder to accomplish now.

I work at the large state university at their medical campus. Locally a CC offers an AA program in nursing, but if you want a job that pays and offers the ability to promote you obtain the bachelors degree. Locally there's a nursing shortage which is why an AA in nursing will get you a job, but this is not the case everywhere. Likewise with only an AA in dental hygiene. It's a competitive field and the bachelors degree is winning. I have friends who got their AAs in DH back in the 90s and early 00s and are having difficulty finding full time employment (want to move from part time), as the market is saturated and most employers are preferring and even requiring bachelors degrees.

I think when people say working their way through college, they mean working year-round, not just during Summer break. But yes, either way it’s a LOT harder to accomplish now.
Yeah...I've never honestly met someone who said they were working their way through college who ONLY worked during the summer or ONLY during Christmas break. It meant you were working year-round though usually during the summer and Christmas break you were working more hours.

For instance I was working full-time during Summer and during Christmas break but part-time during the school year.

There are many universities who are now offering accelerated degrees in nursing or those who already have a bachelors degree in something else. Taking 2 year programs and condensing into 12-18 month intensive programs. Some programs do it as a partnership with a local CC, where the student obtains their AA and then completes there bachelors at the university through the intensive program. A win for some students who recognize the need for the advanced degree.

I don’t disagree, but it brings us back to the point of ROI. Your $100,000 debt - while larger than “necessary” - provided you with an education that created an opportunity to pay that debt off. The same would not necessarily be true of a teacher with the same debt.

It is very sad indeed. One needs to carefully choose a major, especially if there are student loans involved. A co-workers daughter has $99,000.00 in student loans, she’s a teacher. She will never get them paid off.
It's pretty messed up that the advise people are getting is to major in things they can afford to pay back. So only people on full scholarships or will pay without loans should taken a major that has a low starting salary.

Somehow I don't think that will happen.

Plus, this ignores the fact that people should study what they are interested in.

"Do you have the potential to be the next John Amos Comenius or John Dewey, but can't afford the $40,000 a year teacher salary? How about be a mediocre lawyer instead!?"

It's pretty messed up that the advise people are getting is to major in things they can afford to pay back. So only people on full scholarships or will pay without loans should taken a major that has a low starting salary.

Plus, this ignores the fact that people should study what they are interested in.

"Do you have the potential to be the next John Amos Comenius or John Dewey, but can't afford the $40,000 a year teacher salary? How about be a mediocre lawyer instead!?"

There are ways to get a cheaper college education. If one chooses a low paying career, then the cost of the education should definitely be a consideration when choosing where to go to college.

I get it. But, since tuition ALONE is $15K (with another 2K increase planned for next year, and $7K more for the year after that....bringing it to an astounding $24K), it would be VERY hard (if not impossible) to work enough hours even year round to pay that AND do things like buy books, pay rent, pay taxes (because if you make $24K as a single person, the government is going to expect you to pay taxes, imagine that), and (gasp) eat. You'd have to make AT LEAST $40K per year to pay tuition and do all those things (and I'd argue that that would be cutting it very close). That kind of job just isn't available in my area for a high school grad. Even assuming that you could work full time (or more) year round, and still be a student.

Yes, a LOT harder...as in just about impossible.

No, I think the notion that an education in something you enjoy is somehow “owed to you” is messed up. That’s a luxury, not a necessity. And it’s honestly one of the reasons so many are up to their eyeballs in debt.

No, I think the notion that an education in something you enjoy is somehow “owed to you” is messed up. That’s a luxury, not a necessity. And it’s honestly one of the reasons so many are up to their eyeballs in debt.
As is the idea that the "full college experience" is owed to every child. Sure, it's nice when kids have that. But not if you're in debt up to your eyeballs to go away and live on campus somewhere.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter