International travel restrictions

Yes it did. The numbers you quoted say PER MILLION, which means it was adjusted.

It is not three times the absolute number of cases - it is three times the number of cases after adjusting for population size.

By the way, why the dollar signs?
Lol, oops...not sure, I removed them
Sorry
They have 3x the amount cases we do. That’s what I said.

Lol, oops...not sure, I removed them
Sorry
They have 3x the amount cases we do. That’s what I said.

No - you don't seem to understand the numbers you are posting. Per the numbers you posted, they have about 30 times the number of cases that Canada has.

Using some simple numbers:

Country 1 - 1 million people and 1 case per million = 1 case
Country 2 - 10 million people and 3 cases per million = 30 cases

It would be untrue to say that "Country 2 has 3 times the cases that country 1 has" because 30 is not 3 times 1.

You would be correct to say "Country 2 has 30 times the cases that country 1 has" or "Country 2 has three times the cases per capita (or per 1 million population) that country 1 has".

You can't say that, of course, they have more cases, they have more people when the fact that they have more people has been accounted for by reporting cases per million.

No - you don't seem to understand the numbers you are posting. Per the numbers you posted, they have about 30 times the number of cases that Canada has.

Using some simple numbers:

Country 1 - 1 million people and 1 case per million = 1 case
Country 2 - 10 million people and 3 cases per million = 30 cases

It would be untrue to say that "Country 2 has 3 times the cases that country 1 has" because 30 is not 3 times 1.

You would be correct to say "Country 2 has 30 times the cases that country 1 has" or "Country 2 has three times the cases per capita (or per 1 million population) that country 1 has".

You can't say that, of course, they have more cases, they have more people when the fact that they have more people has been accounted for by reporting cases per million.
The news article I read said this: “USA has 3x Covid-19 cases than Canada” and it went on to say they have 10x the amount of people.
Anyway - thank you for the lesson and explaining simple numbers.
I’m not going to argue. Your right, I’m wrong (cause it was about that to begin with?). It doesn’t matter to me. To me it makes sense they have more numbers. I guess it does not and it’s simple math. I honestly never meant to go into it that deep. Just hope it all improves soon so we can go back to Disney. I assume you love Disney too since you’re on DIS.
Let’s stay hopeful, I don’t know that we have much else left to do.

Last edited:
The news article I read said this: “USA has 3x Covid-19 cases than Canada” and it went on to say they have 10x the amount of people.
I’m not going to argue. Your right, I’m wrong (cause it was about that to begin with?). I don’t particularly care. To me it makes sense they have more numbers. That’s all.

No, it was (and is) about sharing accurate information. Your posts aren't. Again, yes, it makes sense that they have more cases however what is unexpected (not explained by a larger population) is how many more cases they have. The "extra" cases are not proportional to the "extra" people. The US does not have three times the number of cases that Canada has. It just doesn't.

Can you link the article that you read? I'd be interested in seeing.

Different data sources have slightly different numbers, but from here you can see that even after adjusting for population size, the number of cases is a lot higher in the US than in Canada. Interestingly, if you use the same data source, the difference in the number of deaths isn't as different. Could be few things - differences in how deaths are coded (Belgium, for example, has a massive case-fatality rate because they include "probable" deaths in long-term care facilities); different age distribution (though COVID can be serious for people of all ages, it tends to lead to more mortality in older people; the US health care system is better equipped to treat people with COVID; other things.

If you go here - https://ourworldindata.org/coronavi...thing=0&pickerMetric=location&pickerSort=desc you play around for yourself.

They will be opening things but you will have to keep your distance from people still. You can still relax restrictions and keep social distancing I expect parks, arenas and the border to be the last to open.

My Rant for the day.. open the arenas . Private arenas are open with strict rules (5 skaters temp checks etc ) and Steep prices . We travelled an hour yesterday for ice. If private arenas can be open, if NHL is such a essential commodity that we can open the borders for non Canadians and media and whatnot , there is def a way to do this safely for the kids. Hockey is simply becoming a game Moreso for the rich .
rant over lol

My Rant for the day.. open the arenas . Private arenas are open with strict rules (5 skaters temp checks etc ) and Steep prices . We travelled an hour yesterday for ice. If private arenas can be open, if NHL is such a essential commodity that we can open the borders for non Canadians and media and whatnot , there is def a way to do this safely for the kids. Hockey is simply becoming a game Moreso for the rich .
rant over lol
Its been a rich person's game for a long time. Why would any one want to go skating in the middle of summer.

I’m not going to argue. Your right, I’m wrong (cause it was about that to begin with?). It doesn’t matter to me. To me it makes sense they have more numbers. I guess it does not and it’s simple math. I honestly never meant to go into it that deep. Just hope it all improves soon so we can go back to Disney. I assume you love Disney too since you’re on DIS.
Let’s stay hopeful, I don’t know that we have much else left to do.

Ya, sometimes news articles are misleading. Fact is that USA has had 3,290,000 cases and Canada has had 107,000 cases.

Its been a rich person's game for a long time. Why would any one want to go skating in the middle of summer.

Single mom to 4 and my oldest played rep the whole time, I’m far from rich . it’s do- able. Pick and choose your priorities and spending .. mine are my kids having their options open.
if you love something You want to do it no matter the weather. The cold was a nice break they said.

rant over lol

Not sure where you are. But arenas around here are opening. But only for skills development with limited people. We could sign our son up for an hour long session for 2 days starting in about 3 weeks. . Limited to 9 kids on the ice.

Lots of kids that play hockey, figure skate, and speed skate skate all year round. We've done summer hockey camps with our kids for years.

And I suspect that, since they missed so much ice time over the winter/spring this year, kids (and adults) are even keener for summer skating than normal.

rant over lol

I think the Ontario municipalities should build a lot more outdoor arenas this upcoming winter and move most skating games and practices outdoor. They can board up and flood the current arena parking lots. When I was in Montreal, there was almost a skating rink in every public park and we can easily play hockey outdoor. The risk of infection will be a lot less if the skate is held outdoor.

Not sure where you are. But arenas around here are opening. But only for skills development with limited people. We could sign our son up for an hour long session for 2 days starting in about 3 weeks. . Limited to 9 kids on the ice.

We are in Kingston all rinks here are municipal closest to us not putting ice in until sept 7. Usually it’s back in my now. Belleville has one private rink and it’s booked solid mostly Toronto /Ottawa people they said . Sigh

We are in Kingston all rinks here are municipal closest to us not putting ice in until sept 7. Usually it’s back in my now. Belleville has one private rink and it’s booked solid mostly Toronto /Ottawa people they said . Sigh

Here our municipal arenas are opening for limited use. My sons eyes just lit up when we told him he could go for a couple skills sessions in a few weeks. He’s always been active in multiple sports so it’s sucks not having anything. He’s happy to just have that.

I think the Ontario municipalities should build a lot more outdoor arenas this upcoming winter and move most skating games and practices outdoor. They can board up and flood the current arena parking lots. When I was in Montreal, there was almost a skating rink in every public park and we can easily play hockey outdoor. The risk of infection will be a lot less if the skate is held outdoor.

There used to be more outdoor rinks here (Barrhaven, Ottawa) but they are volunteer maintained and every yer, fewer people want the commitment.

I am thankful they are opening the pools here, but it's by reservation, and they diving boards and stuff aren't open. So probably not as much fun as kiddo is used to. And only some of them are opening. I'd like to go any way, but since it's not as much play time as my son would like we likely won't go much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter