Interval International

As I've mentioned recently, one of the few ways to use DVC to trade effectively is to look at top resorts at peak times and keep ongoing exchange requests for those 1-2 years ahead. Then when they come up, you're all set.

Can you go into more detail on this? What do you mean, "ongoing exchange requests"? Sorry, we've never done this before. I am gathering we need to request several weeks for a couple of different resorts to make sure we get one within the time we want to go?

Thanks for the list.
How did you like the Atlantis? We thought about staying there, but not using DVC points. They usually have pretty good travel agent rates.

Can you go into more detail on this? What do you mean, "ongoing exchange requests"? Sorry, we've never done this before. I am gathering we need to request several weeks for a couple of different resorts to make sure we get one within the time we want to go?

Thanks for the list.
How did you like the Atlantis? We thought about staying there, but not using DVC points. They usually have pretty good travel agent rates.
We liked Atlantis but didn't actually stay there, just spent the day. It is VERY expensive there with food items. I haven't personally seen all the resorts on my list above though. Here's how one might do what I mentioned above. You'd pick your dream list, unit sizes and dates. Things if you got them, you'd shift all your plans to go. Once you had those decisions (resorts, dates, units sizes) you'd call DVC II department and start one or possibly several searches for these types of things. You'd want to be looking a full 2 years out if possible but there's no reason to avoid shorter times. You'll have to keep up maintenance on these exchange requests because you might not want to get something 60 days prior to travel or might simply change your mind about a given option. You'd just set yourself a reminder say every 2-3 months and call DVC and make any adjustments that seemed in order. In addition to your "dream list", you could certainly add specific resorts along the way that might interest you for a specific time or situation.

We liked Atlantis but didn't actually stay there, just spent the day. It is VERY expensive there with food items. I haven't personally seen all the resorts on my list above though. Here's how one might do what I mentioned above. You'd pick your dream list, unit sizes and dates. Things if you got them, you'd shift all your plans to go. Once you had those decisions (resorts, dates, units sizes) you'd call DVC II department and start one or possibly several searches for these types of things. You'd want to be looking a full 2 years out if possible but there's no reason to avoid shorter times. You'll have to keep up maintenance on these exchange requests because you might not want to get something 60 days prior to travel or might simply change your mind about a given option. You'd just set yourself a reminder say every 2-3 months and call DVC and make any adjustments that seemed in order. In addition to your "dream list", you could certainly add specific resorts along the way that might interest you for a specific time or situation.

Okay, the fog is starting to lift!
Does Disney deduct points from the booking use year or the time of stay use year?

My other parents use RCI. That program seems to be real nice and affordable. But they have way too much interest in the company. Can never use up all their weeks. If we could afford the airfare we'd be going all over the place.

More then likely we will not be exchanging our points, but it is good to know for my dad. Disney is offering triple points to get started. So, he wants to take us all on a really nice WDW, cruise, Vero Beach or II visit. We are trying to figure out the best bang for his buck.

Okay, the fog is starting to lift!
Does Disney deduct points from the booking use year or the time of stay use year?

My other parents use RCI. That program seems to be real nice and affordable. But they have way too much interest in the company. Can never use up all their weeks. If we could afford the airfare we'd be going all over the place.

More then likely we will not be exchanging our points, but it is good to know for my dad. Disney is offering triple points to get started. So, he wants to take us all on a really nice WDW, cruise, Vero Beach or II visit. We are trying to figure out the best bang for his buck.
Points are deducted when you find a match, not when you start searching. In most situations they deduct the points from the use year that matches the dates of the exchange.

If you have access to RCI for free weeks, you should definitely take advantage. RCI requires planning even further ahead to be successful but they do have additional inventory, sometimes at the same resorts. No way I'd trade DVC if I had things in RCI unless there was something specific I wanted and simply couldn't get it through RCI.

I was hoping that you might get some feedback from those who might have switched out points for Europe. After this upcoming trip to WDW, we are going to be looking into swapping for a trip to Italy. So I will be watching this thread and others to find out if anyone has done anything like this.

Good luck with your adventure.

I was hoping that you might get some feedback from those who might have switched out points for Europe. After this upcoming trip to WDW, we are going to be looking into swapping for a trip to Italy. So I will be watching this thread and others to find out if anyone has done anything like this.

Good luck with your adventure.

We too would love a trip to Italy. The hotels they show online don't look so hot. I don't think we would be able to exchange for the time we really want to go anyway. There's an event there once a year that thousands of people attend... might be better just to get a hotel out right.

Good luck to you too!

We too would love a trip to Italy. The hotels they show online don't look so hot. I don't think we would be able to exchange for the time we really want to go anyway. There's an event there once a year that thousands of people attend... might be better just to get a hotel out right.

Good luck to you too!

When were you thinking about going and what is the event with the thousands of people. Yikes, maybe we are going to be out of luck.....

I have already gotten 2 exchanges. They are Marriott Ocean's Pointe in West Palm Beach July 25-August 1, 2008 and The Royal Carribbean in Mexico June 6-13, 2009. We have a studio at Ocean Pointe and a 2 Bedroom (only had to pay for a 1 bedroom) at the Royal Carribbean. Has anyone ever stayed at these resorts and what was your experience. I researched them on TUG and they look promising from what I have read but I would welcome a diser's feedback.

When were you thinking about going and what is the event with the thousands of people. Yikes, maybe we are going to be out of luck.....

The event is the Italian Grand Prix, it's in Monza Milan. This year it was Sept 7-9th. Next year will probably be around the same time.

We wouldn't mind staying hours away... just thought it would be fun to get close.

There's also a Grand Prix in Monaco, not too far from Italy.

The event is the Italian Grand Prix, it's in Monza Milan. This year it was Sept 7-9th. Next year will probably be around the same time.

We wouldn't mind staying hours away... just thought it would be fun to get close.

There's also a Grand Prix in Monaco, not too far from Italy.

OMG, r u kidding? That is one of the things that we are going for. :eek: We are going with another couple. I have roots in Italy and so does the gentleman of the other couple, so we figured that we could both visit the places where our family's were from and then my DH picked going to Monza for the F1 race (he and I are big F1 fans).

How funny is that......

OMG, r u kidding? That is one of the things that we are going for. :eek: We are going with another couple. I have roots in Italy and so does the gentleman of the other couple, so we figured that we could both visit the places where our family's were from and then my DH picked going to Monza for the F1 race (he and I are big F1 fans).

How funny is that......

Too funny!! We are from TX and there's not many F1 fans around here. DH and I get so giddy when we run into them, even if we don't cheer for the same drivers.

So, don't you think we'll have a hard time doing any exchange at that time?

We are so crazy about it that we named our DS, Enzo. :rotfl2:

Points are deducted when you find a match, not when you start searching. In most situations they deduct the points from the use year that matches the dates of the exchange.

If you have access to RCI for free weeks, you should definitely take advantage. RCI requires planning even further ahead to be successful but they do have additional inventory, sometimes at the same resorts. No way I'd trade DVC if I had things in RCI unless there was something specific I wanted and simply couldn't get it through RCI.

Thanks Dean!
You've been a great source of info.

How funny is that......

It is just not the same this year without Schue, but it would be nice if Lewis Hamilton or Philipe Massa were to win it all this year.

I have already gotten 2 exchanges. They are Marriott Ocean's Pointe in West Palm Beach July 25-August 1, 2008 and The Royal Carribbean in Mexico June 6-13, 2009. We have a studio at Ocean Pointe and a 2 Bedroom (only had to pay for a 1 bedroom) at the Royal Carribbean. Has anyone ever stayed at these resorts and what was your experience. I researched them on TUG and they look promising from what I have read but I would welcome a diser's feedback.
I've stayed at OP and toured all the Royals while staying at VCI. Overall both are world class timeshares resorts comparable overall to DVC. Given the setup, it's actually quite common for one to search for a 1 BR at the Royals and get a 2 BR. So much so that any group that could possibly make it with a 1 BR, should likely do it this way for those resorts and honestly, they are the only resorts on the II DVC exchange list I can say it that way.

OP is a nice resort at Palm Beach Shores, I think it's on Hutchinson island just north of West Palm. It's in more of a residential area. There is a small beach mall nearby and a Marina. There are 3 or 4 restaurants within a mile or two but beyond that one is looking at 5-10 miles to get to anything worthwhile. CitiPlace is a great upscale dining and shopping area.

The Royal Caribbean is on the southern end of Cancun island. It's a little further away from some of the action than other resorts, including the Royal Sands. But given the bus options there, it's not really much of an issue. It's a great resort.

Dean thanks so much for the insight. I have read your posts so I am aware of your wonderful reputation. Bearing that in mind I really appreciate what you said! If you have any comments on things to do, resturants to eat at, tips etc. on either or both resorts I would really welcome it.

Dean thanks so much for the insight. I have read your posts so I am aware of your wonderful reputation. Bearing that in mind I really appreciate what you said! If you have any comments on things to do, resturants to eat at, tips etc. on either or both resorts I would really welcome it.

For OP, I'd recommend the italian restaurant nearby, Max & Eddie's, the Sail Fish Marina is very nice as well. City Place and Clematis Street are downtown area' s with great selections of restaurants, shops and bars. While I haven't been in a long time but, Carmine's Ocean Grill comes highly recommended. The one we enjoyed best was north near Jupiter by bridge. I'm blanking on the name but it was on the south end of the bridge on the ocean side as near the bridge as you could get at a Marina. They had a GREAT early bird option. If you want to splurge, the feature dining room at the Breakers on Palm Island is a great option. I took Kim there for our anniversary in 2004, right before they closed it for remodeling.

It's been a few years since we were last in Cancun. Our favorites were Italian (Casa Rolandi and La Dolce Vita) and Mexican (La Parilla downtown off the island). We didn't like the Yucatan restaurant (? Los Almandros) that many recommended. There are also Hard Rock, Rainforest Cafe and Planet Hollywood. The Captain's Cove across from the Royals (and owned by them) is pretty good, esp for B'fast. While I haven't eaten, the proprietary restaurant at the Royal Mayan gets raves. The buses there are cheap and fast (in more ways than one), don't ever step off the curb without looking as you may be a hood ornament.

Added: The restaurant in Jupiter is Jetty's.

Too funny!! We are from TX and there's not many F1 fans around here. DH and I get so giddy when we run into them, even if we don't cheer for the same drivers.

So, don't you think we'll have a hard time doing any exchange at that time?

We are so crazy about it that we named our DS, Enzo. :rotfl2:

DH and I are thinking that if we stay far enough away and either take the train or drive in, hopefully we will be okay. And as I said, we have other reasons for going.

Enzo, :lmao: yes, I would say that you are crazy fans.

We also don't have a lot of friends who are fans here in Calif where we live. When we lived in the Bay Area we knew a few other fans and enjoyed the chats and discussions over the races. Now DH has to make calls to the Bay Area to rehash the qualifying and races with his friends. It's a little tough for me to get myself up with him to watch it at 4:30. We tIVO and I usually watch a little later. Old age has set in. :hippie:

Well, as soon as we get back from WDW the second week of October I am going to start calling MS to see what they can set up for us and how many points it is going to be to trade. We only have 200 points years and will probably have to borrow some points from the next year, (Oh darn, going to have to borrow points to go to Italy, lol).

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us that we can make this happen. Maybe we can meet up in Italy for an espresso or for dinner or share a train ride from wherever to Monza for the GP. ;)

It is just not the same this year without Schue, but it would be nice if Lewis Hamilton or Philipe Massa were to win it all this year.

My two new fav's also. I like Lewis Hamilton, but I think I am leaning more toward Massa being my fav this year, just because I think that Lewis needs to earn his way up, but geez is he awesome.

Schue was of course my fav but I also was a Jacques fan until he became such a cry baby:eek: It was just too painful to watch and listen to him at that point.

DH and I are thinking that if we stay far enough away and either take the train or drive in, hopefully we will be okay. And as I said, we have other reasons for going.

Enzo, :lmao: yes, I would say that you are crazy fans.

We also don't have a lot of friends who are fans here in Calif where we live. When we lived in the Bay Area we knew a few other fans and enjoyed the chats and discussions over the races. Now DH has to make calls to the Bay Area to rehash the qualifying and races with his friends. It's a little tough for me to get myself up with him to watch it at 4:30. We tIVO and I usually watch a little later. Old age has set in. :hippie:

Well, as soon as we get back from WDW the second week of October I am going to start calling MS to see what they can set up for us and how many points it is going to be to trade. We only have 200 points years and will probably have to borrow some points from the next year, (Oh darn, going to have to borrow points to go to Italy, lol).

Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us that we can make this happen. Maybe we can meet up in Italy for an espresso or for dinner or share a train ride from wherever to Monza for the GP. ;)

DS is only 5 months, so it will be a few years before we are ready to cross the world. You'll have to let us know how things are over there. Maybe by the time you are ready to go again, we can meet up. We only have 150 points, so we too would need to borrow points. We hope to be adding more points after the tax return this year... with the new baby and all.

Are you going for the food and wine fest at WDW in October? We did that a couple of years ago, lots of fun!

F1 comes on here at 6:30, which is right around feeding time (but we too dvr it). DH usually gets up at that time, and I watch it later. Can you believe Alonso?! What a jerk!

My two new fav's also. I like Lewis Hamilton, but I think I am leaning more toward Massa being my fav this year, just because I think that Lewis needs to earn his way up, but geez is he awesome.

Schue was of course my fav but I also was a Jacques fan until he became such a cry baby:eek: It was just too painful to watch and listen to him at that point.

I am partial to Hamilton. He's probably laughing is rear end off right now!

Dean once again you are an awesome resource. Thanks for the input. I wrote it down so I can follow your suggestions when those trips come around:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter