iPhone settings to minimize data usage for Connect @ Sea

TheMick424

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a list of the settings you should adjust on your iPhone when using Connect @ Sea to minimize data usage? I did this a couple years ago, but wonder if anything has changed. I now also use Google Photos (app) and am specifically interested in whether I need to make any adjustments to the settings.

Google Photos- You'll definitely want to turn off the back up and sync option

Turn off location services, push notifications, background app refresh, automatic updates.

Hard close all apps-it's a good habit to get into as it also conserves battery life. Speaking of apps, download all the ones you'll need before getting on board and of course make sure they're all up to date.

Change the email sync settings.

Last edited:
Disneypeach brings up a great point! A lot of people don't realize that sometimes you get into port and your phone decides to ping a tower and charge you International rates...Yikes! Putting your cell phone on airplane mode is a nice way to ensure nothing like that happens but you can still enable Wi-Fi and use all the Connect@Sea features.

TIP: I've also noticed that sometimes I'll even get certain push notification on Wi-Fi even if i'm not paying for the Connect@Sea service. You won’t be able to respond to any notifications but it can still be nice to receive them and see how many Instagram likes you're getting, free of charge.

Just want to clarify. Put phone in airplane. And use connect@sea thru wifi to use the mobile app on board?

Touring Plans has a good article about conserving data while on the ship: https://blog.touringplans.com/2016/10/20/10-steps-conserve-wi-fi-onboard-disney-cruise/.

If your phone is in Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on, then anything your phone is set up to do while on WiFi will continue to happen. Using your Google Photo app as an example, if you have it set it up to automatically upload your photos or backup your photos while on WiFi, then it would do so via the Connect @ Sea Wifi...using up all of your data very quickly.

I had this problem---much of my data disappeared very quickly at first. I asked at the Connect@Sea desk and she told me to make sure I log back out of my Connect@sea account when I didn't need it. So I would log in---check email or twitter---log back out. Worked great. Just don't forget to log back out or background activity on your phone---even in airplane mode---will use your data very quickly.

Here is the sheet that I used from Connect @ Sea for iPhone. I followed this to the letter and was able to use my free 50mb package very efficiently. Just make sure you only log on when you need it and log right back out afterwards.

Attachments

• Connect at sea.pdf
    398.3 KB · Views: 167
You actually have to log in to Connect at Sea to use it. I turned off background refresh on all apps, and turned off cellular data. I did not put my phone in airplane mode because I paid AT&T for their cruise package and I needed people to be able to reach me. I would log in to Connect at Sea, download my email and log out again. Then I would draft email responses offline, log back in and send them, then log out again. My husband and I went through under 1 gig in 7 days, even with some social media logins and quite a bit of email usage for work.

Depending on your cell carrier, you can get voice and text service on the boat. It is not cheap, but if you have a job or family that requires being in touch, it works well. AT&T was $60 for voice and text for a month.

I have never used the connect at sea but on this cruise we will have one daughter in Costa Rica on a school trip at the same time we will on the cruise and I would like to text with her on Whats app a few times on our 7 day cruise to see how she is doing. Has anyone used whats app on the ship? I don't know when she will have wifi to contact me so if I leave my phone logged in to connect at sea during the evenings when she will be at her hotel will it drain my free wifi quickly? I am not very well versed on tech stuff especially wifi usage. I know videos use a lot and I only plan to text with her. thanks for any info anyone may have.

Just want to clarify. Put phone in airplane. And use connect@sea thru wifi to use the mobile app on board?
This is all I do with my i phone. As soon as we get to port I turn off airplane mode. I have international cell and data including in my plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter