• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Iron-on transfer vs. vinyl vs. iron vinyl

MickeyRules

Earning My Ears
I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of these 3 methods for making t-shirts. I've used iron-on transfer paper in the past, but now there's heat transfer vinyl to cut out shapes, and iron-on vinyl that you print on. What are the pros and cons of each of these?

I'm basically wanting to iron on letters, numbers, and a Mickey head (just the simple 3 circles, no details).

Thanks for your help!
Paige

If you get the iron on vinyl make sure it is the HTV kind.

I have used both methods.

If you have a silhouette, cricut or any cutting machine the htv vinyl is easy to use. I did t-shirts in 2014 and they are still going strong!! Remember to mirror the image/words/letters and then iron on. After I got it ironed on my shirt using the background piece, I did grab parchment paper and go over the design one more time. (That was just my preference, I felt I just secured the adhesion to the shirt... probably didn't really do anything but ease my mind.)

I have also done the printable iron on sheets and they are still doing great.. (I made t-shirt quilt out of them when the kids out grew them)... I prefer the iron sheets from http://amymickey.com/ironontransfer_page.html the transfers were very easy to use and I could just print and iron them on the t-shirts with the use of parchments paper so I did not melt the design.

Good luck with your decisions!

So the difference between iron-on transfer and iron-on vinyl is preference? The vinyl is so much more expensive!

Honestly, yes it is personal preference.

If you decided to do the iron on transfer, may I suggest if you haven't looked to visit the Creative DISign forum and look around for some of the amazing DISigns that our fellow DISmembers create and share.

Here is a link to their section of the boards: http://www.disboards.com/forums/creative-disigns.105/

Please make sure you read through the sticky threads so that you can familiarize yourself with how they handle their threads. They are a great group to work with!! I have used their DISigns several times!!

I didn't know about the iron on vinyl. Can say that in 2007 I made matching shirts for the family. I used regular iron on paper. I still have one of those shirts today.....the shirt itself is falling apart, but the transfer has survived the last 9 years very nicely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter