Is 3 days at DL too much?

deedeetoo

DIS Veteran
We are trying to decide how to spend our days on our vacation. We are going in July and will have 4 full days, Tuesday through Friday, in the LA area. We know we want to do at least 2 days at Disney and one day sightseeing, but are not sure what to do with the last day. We aren't interested in the beach - we go a lot at home. If we do a third day at an amusment park DL appeals to us more than Legoland or Knotts Berry Farm.

We are experienced with WDW but have never been to DL before and are having a hard time judging. We have two children aged 7 and 4. Our kids are short so we will be doing lots of baby swaps which adds time, but we will also be skipping attractions when neither of our kids can't get on like the roller coasters at DCA. We know July will be busy so we are concerned that if we spend only two days we will be rushed and miss things, but we are also concerned that three days may be too much and we'll wish we had more time for more general CA sightseeing.

Any advice?

We'll be there for 3 days in October, and I wish it were for longer! In July, you're going to have long wait times and larger crowds than we will in the off season. I'd stay at DL - that way you can take your time, see what you want to see at a kids pace, and still have time to do things more than once.
Have a great time whichever you decide to do! :wizard:

We always try to do at least 3 days now that there are the 2 parks. In July - the crowds will be heavy. The last time we were there in the summer - we did 4 days at the parks, and felt we got to see everything that way. If you're at all interested - do 3. 2 really won't be enough, you'll be surprised how much they pack into the 2 parks. Much of what is spread out at the 4 in WDW is compacted very neatly into 2 in CA. Have fun!

You will need 3 days at the Disney Parks to see everything. Particularly in July. It will take at least a day and a half to see everything in Disneyland and a whole day to do everything In DCA.

3 days is definitely NOT too long. I find that if we go for fewer than 4 days I feel very rushed to "see everything". For me 5-days is the PERFECT DL vacation.

3 days is perfect - 2 days for DL and 1 for DCA.

nordey said:
3 days is definitely NOT too long. I find that if we go for fewer than 4 days I feel very rushed to "see everything". For me 5-days is the PERFECT DL vacation.

We are doing 5 days this time, since we are going in Aug. but last time we just went 3 days (In Oct) and we just weren't ready for the magic to be over. We were able to do everything several times because of the fairly light crowds, but I wish we would have spent a 4th day at DL instead of Knotts.

Three days is good but never think it's too long! We're staying a week after Thanksgiving that way we can relax and enjoy and not go commando like usual! :cool1: :cool1: Have a magical stay no matter how long you go!

Minimum is 3 days!! We did DL last July 4th and gave it 5 days! :flower:

We did 5 days the last two times we went. The first time it was too much because it was a busy time of year. This time, we broke our visits up by breaking mid-day and going back to the hotel. We also took a couple of side trips, so they weren't full days. I'd never spend less than 3 days there!

I was just reading at the bottom of your post how one of your dd's was your best Disney souvenir having her 9 months after your trip. It reminds me of that commercial (I *believe it was a Disney commercial) Mom, little girl and baby brother were in the elevator when the girl starts talking to another person in the elevator about their trip to Disney. She ends up saying "And this is my little brother Jack. Mommy says he's our little souvenir."
I loved that commercial!

As with many of us, Disneyland will always have a special place in our hearts too. Dh and I honeymooned at DL. Almost exactly 15 years later we are not only celebrating our 15th Anniversary at DL with our 3 children, we get to celebrate DL's 50th! We were also there in 2000 to celebrate their 45th with our two dd's. just a little over a year later we had our son and now we can't wait to share DL with him too!

When we go in June we are doing 5 days. Our son-in-law has never been to DL so we want him to be able to enjoy it all. Also we will be doing some baby swaps that will add time to our days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter