Is anyone cancelling a WDW trip or moving it up because of the early SWGE opening?

SWGE, to go or not to go during the opening month!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We arrive the day after Labor Day. I am totally shocked about August, I was sure it would be the last day of fall. Lol. Our flights are booked, time off work arranged, so we are going. We will just make the best of it.

Thanks, I hope so. I get it about the owners, but on the flip side, if they did let us cancel they could resell those points at a much higher rate now :upsidedow
That’s true. Though companies that don’t let the cancellations go through would be the ones who get it, the renter is probably already locked in. THough direct renters you have a point lol.

Conjecture, or do you have a real source?

I've been hoping this would make FP for Runaway Railway easier to get, but instead it may make it harder.

If nothing else, it will make Slinky dog infinitely easier at rope drop.

We had a calm trip planned for the first week of September. Instead we get possibly the biggest theme park stampede of all time.
Do we have an opening date for Runaway Railway? If they announced I didn't see it through the Star Wars haze...

I keep reading that the opening is the first week of school. We started August 16 this year and August 15 next year.
When our kids were little ( before middle school years)we often vacationed Labor Day week. Only miss four days of school and still mostly reviewing in class.

We booked late October to avoid SWGE and the massive crowd impact . I do have two Star Wars fans in the family though. So I broke this news to Dh today by asking him if he wanted the good news or the bad news and then telling him it was the same news. :scared:
It’s not what I had hoped but it’s been such a rough year for us for a number of reasons that we are just going to count ourselves lucky and roll with it somehow.
We are actually offsite for this trip with a tight budget. I decided to forgo MNSSHP tickets (which I was on the fence about and have done before ) and purchased one night at a value resort mid trip this afternoon. I figure this will allow us to take advantage of EMH if they are offered at DHS , get us two free days of parking and 60 day fastpasses for other things.
I do understand the disappointment, I do understand the excitement and I especially understand a bit of both. Just a hug for those looking for one.. :grouphug:

I had been toying with the idea of taking my eldest DS to UO for WOHP in the Fall and this seals it. I think this will be a rising tide that lifts all boats in terms of general tourist numbers to Orlando, but WDW will definitely get the worst of it. I don't think we'll do WDW again until 2021.

We booked first week of September for 7 days on the free dining plan. Figured it would be a good time to go as crowds would be low with our two kids (5 and 8). The Star Wars Geek in me is uber excited by the news as we will get to experience this when were thinking we would need to go again in early 2021and the other part of me is worried this will make the parks more crowded. In reality we only planed an afternoon and an am at Hollywood Studious initially but will probably add in one of the early morning hours. As today was 180 days out, we booked all our dining reservations to include Hollywood and Vine for an 8am breakfast before the park opens first thing today when reservations opened (before the announcement). So I will take it in stride and look at it as a bonus. If we can get fast passes for the new rides great, if we can soak up some streetmosphere that will work too and if need be with park hoppers we can tool over to a less crowded park for the day. For those worried unless you were planning a ton of time in HS I think you’ll be fine as Disney jumped up the seasonal prices for tickets and I am sure for reservations as well so I am guessing the crowds that add on will be for 1 or 2 night stays to go to the new attraction.

I keep reading that the opening is the first week of school. We started August 16 this year and August 15 next year.
When our kids were little ( before middle school years)we often vacationed Labor Day week. Only miss four days of school and still mostly reviewing in class.

In NYC we traditionally start after Labor Day, and we always go the week leading up to/through LDW. Throughout the northeast, start times can vary by individual town/school district, but whenever we're there, we always see lots of fellow New Yorkers, New Jersey, New Englanders, Canadians... and we've noticed that week has gotten more and more popular over the past few years (though past 2 years, F&W started pre-Labor Day which definitely impacted crowds).

I'm really on the fence about this. We always go at the end of August and I booked August 22 - 29 last October. With the announcement today, I got really excited and moved our dates to August 24 - August 31. I then read they will not be offering fast passes, initially, for the attractions. There is absolutely no way we will do opening day or the day after without even the hope of a FastPass. I'm going to keep things as they are for now to see if there are any AP previews. If not, we may still go and just skip SWGE or just rescheduled this trip altogether.

I just made an account so I could post about my disappointment in this announcement. I have been planning our 'once in a lifetime' trip for over a year. I managed to get Pop Century with free dining for Sept. 13-23rd. Now I am 95% sure I am going to cancel it. I booked September specifically for the low crowds, which could now be some of the worst crowds the park has ever seen. We are not Star Wars fans, and want nothing to do with the crowds that this will cause across the resort. I am totally devastated and I really don't know when we might even try to re-book.

omg I just did the same thing! I've been lurking on this forum for 5+ years when planning a trip, but have never actually posted. I was assuming late fall meant like Oct, or that the opening would get pushed back a couple months for whatever reason. I haven't been to Disney in years and booked a trip for 8/31-9/8 hoping for low crowds and hot weather (I'm one of those people that doesn't mind temps >90 degrees). Luckily my family is actually Star Wars fans, otherwise I would be more upset. I guess it's kind of a blessing that we got such a good deal at Pop Century + Dining Plan for this time(?)

Obviously most of the people on forums like this are Disney enthusiasts and probably only reflect ~10% of the visitors, if that. So I guess it depends if the more casual visitors will book during this time... There's a lot of factors like school, work, cost (maybe hotels will be more now), and it's hard to say what the crowd will be like.

Conjecture, or do you have a real source?

I've been hoping this would make FP for Runaway Railway easier to get, but instead it may make it harder.

If nothing else, it will make Slinky dog infinitely easier at rope drop.

We had a calm trip planned for the first week of September. Instead we get possibly the biggest theme park stampede of all time.
When is Runway Railway supposed to open?

Heck no! Our AP Year starts 10/13/19. Trips booked for Oct, Dec, Jan with plans for May, Sept and Oct 2020. 34 days at WDW.
Ours starts June 8. We have June, July, Labor Day(!), Oct, and Nov and was hoping for AP previews. Not sure of 2020 other than June but I am sure we will throw a few more into the mix. We also just did this past weekend without any tickets and are doing an adults only in May with 1 day tickets.

As Disneyland regulars we decided this was the year to go to WDW. We thought we'd avoid the Star Wars craziness. Oh well - hopefully by December it will have calmed down a little (wishful thinking I know). We'll be ok with not seeing it as we'll be heading back to DL in 2020. My main goal for HS is Tower of Terror as it's my friends favorite ride and DL's version was changed to a Guardians theme.

I think my only game changer is going to be to get park hoppers (we were going to 1 park per day) so we can hit HS in the am then move to another park if it gets crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter