Is anyone else watching this program??

Nothing wrong with you! Would love to see it but alas, no HBO

We saw the first one, and have the second one on the DVR waiting for us to watch it.

Loving it so far . . .

I can't wait to see this show! I am a huge fan of the books that the show is based off of, and from what I can tell they are really doing this right, with great respect for the source material and heavy involvement from the original author.

If you're interested in the series, it's by Charlaine Harris, and it's called the Southern Vampire series. the first book is "Dead Until Dark" and there are several books out.

I am not going to be a spoiler for those who taped but last night's was good..

Now I want to get the books and start reading, but if they are staying true to the books, do I want to read them now? Maybe I just want to watch the program.......

I have to admit I am not a huge fan of Anna Paquin, it is probably from that movie The Piano....I liked her in X Men...anyway, she does look good and grew up nicely.. plays the role well....the brother, well he is annoying.

I also love the woman that plays her grandmother, Lois Smith, such a good character actress....well trained, always liked her in anything she is in.. And how about that Bill Compton... *sigh* what a nice vampire. I do not remember him in Quills but it says in his bio that he was in it, now that was a bizarre movie...

Anyway, next Sunday cannot come fast enough for me, I wish it was on twice a week, but then that is what they want us to wish...

I'm watching it. I started because of Alan Ball who also did Six Feet Under - that was such a great series. I'm typically not into the vampire genre but so far this has got me hooked. It's a bit quirky and offbeat and that translates into fun for me. I agree that her brother's character is bad in a completely annoying way. The scene when Bill healed her was wild (I won't give it away for those of you that haven't watched it yet).

"The scene when Bill healed her was wild (I won't give it away for those of you that haven't watched it yet)."

Incredible..

OOOOOOhhhhhhhh Maaaa-aaaaaan... I am probably the only person here that didn't like it -- the accents are just SO wrong. And it didn't help that I think Bill the vampire is also the actor who eats a cannoli in a local (AZ anyways) Bank of America commercial. He is tres cute but alll I can think of is: Blood or cream filling? Blood or cream filling?:confused3 Maybe I'll give it one more episode to see i was mistaken...

OMG you made LOL..

Hey... you know what they say, if we all liked the same thing, the world would be so boooooooooring..

It is what I think when I hear someone trying to do a Boston accent in a movie or on TV.. puhleeze deliver me.. you have to live here to talk like this..

Right Wally??? Mike, do I have the worst Boston accent.. Mike makes fun of it. I cannot help it.

So I understand you on there not getting the accent right.. and the cannoli thing, he was probably starving, no work and had to do a commercial.. now everytime I watch this, it will pop in my head, he does a cannoli commercial??

Awwwww.....Give it another try...It will grow on you! :thumbsup2

Speaking of accents...I grew up as a child in Kentucky...then moved to Michigan in my teens...I STILL have a southern accent...(probably because I talk to my relative in KY all the time). When I visit KY, the relatives talk about my "northern" accent...When I am in Michigan, people will ask me which southern state I am from...I'm 58 years old...I don't know WHAT accent I actually have! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gwen and I watched this show for the first time last week and loved it!!! Life has been really busy but you all remind me we must now have one waiting on ON DEMAND... yeah, maybe we'll watch it tonight (though the family keeps trying to rope me into watching ENCHANTED, a bullet I've so far dodged!) :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I loved Enchanted........watch it Viki, you will like it? or not.

OK. I am so addicted I actually went to the book store to start the Sookie Stackhouse series, they did not have any of the books.. I then went to the Library and got a library card and took out two books and ordered the rest... I am so desperate to read the books, I actually have one in big print..

OMG.. get the gun, I am losing it.

Gwen and I watched this show for the first time last week and loved it!!! Life has been really busy but you all remind me we must now have one waiting on ON DEMAND... yeah, maybe we'll watch it tonight (though the family keeps trying to rope me into watching ENCHANTED, a bullet I've so far dodged!) :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

HI VIKI!!!!!!!:goodvibes

HI VIKI!!!!!!!:goodvibes

Hey, friend!!!

I'm here more than you all might realize, but don't post as much as I'd like because life is traveling at the speed of sound! It was really nice to be able to have a few minutes yesterday so that I could actually LOOK for threads to chime in on ...:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Keep up the great community!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I actually had some free time tonight so I just got done watching episode 3 via OnDemand. One thing I've noticed in each episode so far is that you could easily substitute gay/lesbian for vampire (well, except for the sucking blood part). For example, the religious fanatics appear on tv attacking vampires as immoral degenerates undeserving of equal rights. Characters are shocked when others admit that they have gone to vampire bars and even enjoy having sex with vampires. I know that the tv series is based on books and I was wondering if the books are written this way or if it's creative liberty for television. I watched a few of the pre-shows and they talked about vampire history rather than the adaptation. They did show the author for a little while but she didn't go into any depth and I'm curious about her intentions. I'll do some research but I thought maybe someone may have the answer. On the plus side I've never really been interested in vampires but I may actually pick up the books now.

I am a longtime fan of the books. In the books, the vampires can sort of stand in as any minority that might have to hide and/or come 'out of the closet'. She draws subtle links to the holocaust, civil rights, etc. etc.
But mostly it isn't very obvious.

SPOILER ALERT
No, seriously, spoilers.

Don't look if you don't want to know.

Later on in the book series, Sookie becomes aware of Other Creatures. They are not out of the closet.

Spoilers over.

I would say, if you really love the show and want surprises, then don't read the books yet. I saw Charlaine and Alan at Comic Con this year, and they said that the first season is basically the first book, and if they get the green light, they'll probably carry on that way to a greater or lesser degree. Apparently, the actors were asked to read the books so that they know stuff about their characters they need to know that come up later.
Some characters in the show are not as major in the books. Sookie's best friend and Lafayette, for instance, are not much more than bit players.

Thank you for the information. It sounds like they play it up a bit in the tv series. And thanks for the spoiler alert ... I didn't read that part of your post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter