Is anyone postponing or delaying a DVC purchase?

Ok.... isn't this getting interesting! It just occurred to me (because after Dubya's speech this past evening I had the first decent night's sleep since 9/11, and I'm thinking coherently) that since we weren't planning on buying until late October anyway (when we'll have socked aside enough for a significant down payment), that some of the literal/figurative dust will have settled, and perhaps we'll all know what the major announcement Sunday is.

I'll also freely admit that this is a different America, but you know what? I've never, ever been prouder to be an American than I am right now. I've made a conscious, rational, more-or-less mature thinking decision not to be cynical, or paranoid, or despondent. I feel this way because I know we have right on our side, and righteousness on our side, and my faith is placed in the eternal and not the temporal.

One other thing ... if you're familar with Disney history, you know that in the early 70's that our Mouse was on the shakiest of ground. It was ripe for takeover. And an administrative team came on board to stabilize things, and Disney was a darling of Wall Street for years. But, as in so many other institutions, that team was the right group at the right time. Now, perhaps, it's time for a new team better suited for the next step in Disney's future.

We're all going to be fine.

Here's a copy of a message I had posted a couple of days after the attack:

Putting my executed contract in the mail today was a little tough. I kept thinking about whether I should buy a second timeshare given the economic uncertainities due to this week's tragedy. Then, I let my heart guide me. It wasn't my appreciation of Disney theme parks though that was in my heart. It was my children. I thought about how many of the happiest memories I had as a child stemmed from family vacations. I also thought about how fortunate I had been to take my wife and children to New York this past New Year's Eve. My youngest asked me this week whether "the ball" was affected. My oldest said, "Dad, the hotel we stayed at's not there anymore, is it?" She suddenly appeared much wiser than she should be at her age--it was the WTC Marriott. Then, I thought about all those victims and their families. While the children of those victims will remember so much about their parents, I am sure they will also remember the trips they took with them. Then, as morbid as it may seem, I thought of my own mortality and how I had always wanted another timeshare so I could give one to each child. So, even though I've still got a big mortgage, the youngest is going to need braces soon, the money I've saved for college so far probably won't get them through a semester and I'll have two weddings to pay for (both girls), suddenly the decision wasn't so tough.

This message was posted before the declines posted on Wall Street. And I am still planning on going through with the contract.

I should also note I have heavily discounted rates at both BWV and VWL over Christmas (less than $400 inclusive of tax at BWV and less than $350 inlcusive of tax at WLV--for 2 bedroom units.) Even then, if you assume a point value of $10 per point, DVC is not always a bad deal. By illustration, let me explain by using the rates I had been able to obtain (more than 50% off) using the codes at BWV for both 12/23 (Choice) and 12/24 (Premier). For comparison purposes, I have used point values for standard views and included tax in the rates.

Studio 12/23 $202.40 = $22.49 per point
Studio 12/24 $202.40 = $12.65 per point
1BR 12/23 $279.40 = $15.52 per point
1BR 12/24 $279.40 = $8.73 per point
2BR 12/23 $387.40 = $16.14 per point
2BR 12/24 $387.40 = $8.80 per point

Thus, in only two instances, the point value came out to less than the generally accepted "artificial point value." I had could also run the same comparisons for OKW and it would come out slightly better for DVC. For WLV, it would come out slight worse for DVC because the Code rates were discounted more (probably because of more avialability to Disney as the resort is not sold out to members.) To be honest, I cannot imaging Disney offering rates much below the Code rate currently being offered. Otherwise, they would be "de-valuing" their own worth for the future (even if I as a lawyer needed more work as a lawyer --I don't --I wouldn't substantially lower my hourly rate just to get it -- otheriwse, I de-value my reputation and worth for the future.

Finally, I should explain in fairness with regard to my first post on this subject that I bought DVC HH (I own a Marriott timeshare in Orlando.) I cannot honestly say I would make the same decision right now if I were buying in Orlando (frankly, I'd be inlcined to buy Marriott in Orlando for reasons unrelated to price.) Fortunately, it's not a decision I need to make because only YOU can decide what is right and whatever decision you make, it will be the RIGHT one.

Our lives in America will forever be impacted

Yes, but our economy will not be. History proves that. So, I'm not sure how the actual attacks themselves affect a major purchase decision

Indeed the present and future state of your personal economic situation should be your guide, not random external factors over which you have no control. If you have confidence that your purchase will give the return on your investment over the next 40 years (and that is total utility, not just $$), and you can afford it today, then go for it. For example, if you pay $2.00 for a drink at WDW, that means to you the drink is worth *more* than $2.00, otherwise you would not have spent the $2.00. Same goes for your DVC purchase. If you think your money can be better spent on something you see as more valuable, then don't buy into DVC. If you will get better value out of your money by shoving it under the mattress, then do that. That would mean you have little confidence in the near term future and your money is better "spent" by not spending it.

I rather doubt the actual price of points will come down anytime soon.

As for the current state of the market, any financial analyst will tell you that this is probably a good time to buy, as prices are low. The will go up. Yea, it will be tough over the next days and weeks, but over the next years? Unlikely.

Stlrod,
Great points, well said!!! Lately, I've been a little less interested in planning for my retirement years (which are 25 years away) and placing more emphasis on enjoying today.

All time shares end in the year 2042. If you wait to purchase you will be paying more money per point and you wont have as much time to use it.

Gina

Lisa: With people thinking ylike you, the USA will surely come out victorious of this situation. I live in a country where the currency devaluated 600% in only one month while the salaries stayed the same. You know the main reason? Fear and rumours that caused a cash run out of banks and forced the entire banking system to collapse and capitals to flee the country. The governemnt was overthrown because of that and I have to say it looked like the end. One and a half years later, we are alive and kicking and people are spending way more than before. Things are not the way they used to, though.

It is true that the next few days are key in making financial decisions, not just for Americans but for the whole world (Where do you think most countries invest their money?), but if people become their own worst enemy by giving in to fear, I agree that the worst damage of the attacks is yet to come.

If the markets are not given the impression of recovery, I am afraid to say, lots of money currently in the US will go to other places. The media are doing a good job by not over-covering Wall Street's downturn, but people also have to cooperate and help bring the economy up. The only way to do that? Investing and spending in their country and being positive that better days will come.

Also, don't forget that in times where everything seems dark and confusing, great opportunities arise. The world order wil never be the same, but we have to keep our eyes open to grasp those opportunities.

As far as I am converned, if BCV are pre-sold, I will be buying there. I hope DVC gives an additional incentive to buyers.

As a new 'Member', I have been reading these boards for a couple of months. This was one of the few places we could find unbiased answers to some of the questions we had. We have been to disney around 12 or 13 times since 1993. Last year, after visiting three times in eight months, we decided that DVC was for us.

My pack was posted the day after the terrorist attacks and was delayed. Was this a second chance to pull out? No. Living in Scottish Borders, near Lockerbie, we have also been affected by terrorism, but when you alter your lifestyle, you are letting these 'people' win. Of course,in the short term, there may have to be changes, but we bought into DVC not just for now, but for our FUTURE and our childrens future.

So no, we've not delayed. The only thing we regret is not having done this years ago !

With best regards
David
Scotland, United Kingdom

Leaving for BWV on saturday (yes buy air). I will not let bad people alter my lifestyle so much that I will be scared to go out of my house. I was in NY on 9/8 an looked at the beautiful NY skyline. I still can't believe that the WTC is gone and 6500+ people lost there lives. I have friends that have not heard from loved ones or other friends since 9/11 and I hate to say it but probaly never will. My heart goes out to those people.
But to give in and not travel, and not enjoy life, to hide and wait for the sky to drop is not for me.

Joe in CT

The decision to buy into the DVC should be the same now as it was before the cowardly attack on our nation. If you really want it, and can afford it, buy it. The economy was due for a downturn, but nothing worse than we saw in 1987. The cowards who attacked us, want to destroy our way of life, and causing our economy to fail will be a large step in that direction.
If we fail to go on with our lives due to fear, they win. Even in the best and safest of times, no one is guaranteed that they will have a tomorrow, so we must get back to leading our normal life as soon as possible.
As one who has proudly served in the military of this great nation, even though it was a time when many looked down on you, I feel everyone has a right to their opinion. So while some who post on this board continue to be an enigma to me, may they keep posting. Jerry.

I had sent in my deposit on Sept. 10th for a 600 point contract. I did ask my husband if we should go through with it after the tragedy on the 11th. We have taken such heavy stock market losses in the last year and figured that this would hit us even harder since we had already made the decision not to sell our stocks. We are going through with our dvc purchase. We will continue our lives and will not let terrorists make our decisions. We will enjoy ourselves at WDW and continue to visit many times a year for as long as we can. If circumstances change we will work through those changes and do what we have to do. America will be stronger than ever!

God Bless and Heal America

Melanie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter