Is anyone worried that there won’t be a vaccine by next March Break?

Hi! 😊

If I were in your shoes I would likely cancel my WestJet flights for August and use the credit for March Break.

I have WestJet credit from March Break this year. I am hoping for December or next March Break.

Regarding the OP of the thread. With what I know now I would go to WDW without a vaccine.

Here in Vancouver I think my DD and I possibly already had coronavirus. So many people coming home from China after Chinese New Year, including a classmate of my daughter. Our symptoms were very similar to the mild symptoms described.

The median age of coronavirus death here in BC is 85. That is higher than life expectancy.

It seems like the people most affected around the world have compromised lungs.

My Dad is high-risk. He wouldn’t want to shut my daughter’s world down indefinitely. It will lead to a severe recession if not a depression if it goes on too long.

Eventually we will likely need to look at the data to better protect those who are high risk, whatever their age, and let the majority of people live outside the best they can. At least in a limited fashion at first. A bit more than grocery stores and drive thrus.
Thanks. That's what we're hoping if we cancel as both flights are to Orlando. Do you know WestJet's policy during this time? We booked last fall for Aug flight so not sure we qualify for cancellations. We have until mid June to cancel our cruise (but we lose $400 deposit)....or until 48 hrs before for full amount put towards FCC. For Disney package we have until end of July (unless Disney has special coronavirus cancellation rules too). WestJet...we weren't sure if we'd lose it or could be used towards a future flight.

I'm really sorry to hear that you think you and your DD had the coronavirus. But good that your symptoms were mild. Hopefully you both are immune now to it. Same...my dad is older and not well.

Thanks. That's what we're hoping if we cancel as both flights are to Orlando. Do you know WestJet's policy during this time? We booked last fall for Aug flight so not sure we qualify for cancellations. We have until mid June to cancel our cruise (but we lose $400 deposit)....or until 48 hrs before for full amount put towards FCC. For Disney package we have until end of July (unless Disney has special coronavirus cancellation rules too). WestJet...we weren't sure if we'd lose it or could be used towards a future flight.

I'm really sorry to hear that you think you and your DD had the coronavirus. But good that your symptoms were mild. Hopefully you both are immune now to it. Same...my dad is older and not well.

I think it is their usual cancellation policy, that you have a fee and then a credit to go towards rebooking.

If it were me, I would call and rebook for March 2021 at the same time I was cancelling August. You might get a flexible agent, you never know.

Or, you could wait to see if they will have $0 cancellation fee for travel booked for August. You could wait until mid-June.

Thank you, if it was coronavirus it was by far the mildest cold/flu I had all winter. The symptoms were unusual, but mild. We both had very very slight trouble breathing when we would lie down to go sleep. I wish there were a test for antibodies

I’m sorry to hear about your Dad, too.

@Daisy*Duck*y, I am currently going through that myself for the last few days. My glands feel sore, i get tired easily, no fever or cough, and the mild breathing thing is what freaks me out. I have been taking tylenol and slept off and on all day today. Have an appetite, and taste and smell are still there. Just trying to stay hydrated with water too.

ugh

I think it is their usual cancellation policy, that you have a fee and then a credit to go towards rebooking.

If it were me, I would call and rebook for March 2021 at the same time I was cancelling August. You might get a flexible agent, you never know.

Or, you could wait to see if they will have $0 cancellation fee for travel booked for August. You could wait until mid-June.

Thank you, if it was coronavirus it was by far the mildest cold/flu I had all winter. The symptoms were unusual, but mild. We both had very very slight trouble breathing when we would lie down to go sleep. I wish there were a test for antibodies

I’m sorry to hear about your Dad, too.
Thanks. We can't quite book March break flights yet, but they will open up in a few weeks. Will look into the rebooking with credit from August once we know for sure it's no go.

Glad it was mild for you and your daughter. Definitely suspicious with the different symptoms (but inline with coronavirus). Thanks for your words too.

Can I ask, how long did you have your mild symptoms and was there a "feeling better" period before getting worse again?

Yes, of course. It was around a week and a half to two weeks. There were a lot of feeling better moments and feeling slightly sick moments.
For both of us, the slight trouble breathing when we were lying down occurred at the very end of it. We already felt completely fine in other ways.

I think I had the anosmia (inability to smell), too. I only read about it very recently. The last week of it I thought my daughter’s guinea piga somehow did not smell bad.

I have read that the symptoms are varying widely, though.

The odd one for me was the noticeable but very slight breathing issue when I was lying down. I’ve never felt that before with a cold or flu.

@Daisy*Duck*y, I am currently going through that myself for the last few days. My glands feel sore, i get tired easily, no fever or cough, and the mild breathing thing is what freaks me out. I have been taking tylenol and slept off and on all day today. Have an appetite, and taste and smell are still there. Just trying to stay hydrated with water too.

ugh

I’m so sorry. All of the news around it makes it harder to go through. I decided for myself that I would go get it checked out if the breathing issue got worse. Thankfully, it didn’t.

My daughter was at her Dad’s house when she had the breathing issue. She didn’t even mention it to him, and told me after.

At the time I thought coronavirus = sore throat + fever + cough. It has all been changing so quickly.

I just got off the phone with 811. Essentially nothing I have is alarming them to come in. I would like to have all 3 of us tested.
You said the breathing thing was at the end for you, I am only on day 3. Hopefully my soccer lungs help me get through this sooner than later. And mostly importantly, I hope my fam doesn’t have to go through this.

I can’t imagine what people are going through who have it so much worse...

I’m so sorry. All of the news around it makes it harder to go through. I decided for myself that I would go get it checked out if the breathing issue got worse. Thankfully, it didn’t.

My daughter was at her Dad’s house when she had the breathing issue. She didn’t even mention it to him, and told me after.

At the time I thought coronavirus = sore throat + fever + cough. It has all been changing so quickly.
This is really interesting because I'm starting to think that my son and I have already had it as well back in December/January! I'm located in SW Ontario and this virus was going on around my kids' school from December-early February. I had all of the covid-19 symptoms except for shortness of breath (I do not have asthma, have never had pneumonia) but some of the people I know who had the same virus ended up being treated for respiratory infections and pneumonia. My friend just told me that her BIL had such bad pneumonia from it that the doctor told him his x-ray looked like something he would see on an autopsy!!! He's a healthy guy in his 30s. It was the weirdest illness I have ever had even though it wasn't super severe. I took my son to the doctor 4 times for it and they couldn't diagnose him with anything and I went twice myself. The doctor the second time I went told me it was a nasty virus that she had seen circulating this year and she seemed to imply that it was a newer one and it acted very strangely. Mine started out as a heavy cold and I felt kinda crappy but I took some Dayquil and mostly went about business as usual. We went to my parents house for Christmas and celebrated as usual and for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day I started to feel a bit better. On the drive back home on Boxing Day I starting getting really achey. I was convinced I had a fever but I didn't. I also started getting a really bad sore throat so I went to the doctor the next morning and tested negative for strep but they gave me antibiotics to start in 2 days if my throat was still not better. So I started those 2 days later and started feeling slightly better but 2 days later I started running a fever and coughing. So I went back to the walk-in clinic and that doctor told me I had a virus and to stop taking the antibiotic (which, incidentally started giving me hives everywhere!) I spent the next 5 days with a fever, cough, and hardly moving off the couch. I also started to develop the stranger symptoms like nausea and loss of taste - things that didn't really seem to fit with your typical flu. The nausea was not loss of appetite, but felt exactly like pregnancy nausea - it was the oddest thing. And things started tasting really strange to me - I normally drink ice water but it tasted really strange so I had to switch to room temperature water. It was reading about these strange symptoms in the last week or so in coronavirus patients that got me to wondering!

Anyways, sorry that's really long-winded but I'm so curious now to see what symptoms other people are having and if people think this has actually been circulating longer than suspected!

I woke up today not feeling tired, which is a nice change. The soreness in my glands is getting less and less. Still no fever or cough. I jut stripped the beds and did some laundry and I felt a little out of breath still as that was the first major thing I have done since Thursday. I don't want to push it, but I am going stir crazy.

This is really interesting because I'm starting to think that my son and I have already had it as well back in December/January! I'm located in SW Ontario and this virus was going on around my kids' school from December-early February. I had all of the covid-19 symptoms except for shortness of breath (I do not have asthma, have never had pneumonia) but some of the people I know who had the same virus ended up being treated for respiratory infections and pneumonia. My friend just told me that her BIL had such bad pneumonia from it that the doctor told him his x-ray looked like something he would see on an autopsy!!! He's a healthy guy in his 30s. It was the weirdest illness I have ever had even though it wasn't super severe. I took my son to the doctor 4 times for it and they couldn't diagnose him with anything and I went twice myself. The doctor the second time I went told me it was a nasty virus that she had seen circulating this year and she seemed to imply that it was a newer one and it acted very strangely. Mine started out as a heavy cold and I felt kinda crappy but I took some Dayquil and mostly went about business as usual. We went to my parents house for Christmas and celebrated as usual and for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day I started to feel a bit better. On the drive back home on Boxing Day I starting getting really achey. I was convinced I had a fever but I didn't. I also started getting a really bad sore throat so I went to the doctor the next morning and tested negative for strep but they gave me antibiotics to start in 2 days if my throat was still not better. So I started those 2 days later and started feeling slightly better but 2 days later I started running a fever and coughing. So I went back to the walk-in clinic and that doctor told me I had a virus and to stop taking the antibiotic (which, incidentally started giving me hives everywhere!) I spent the next 5 days with a fever, cough, and hardly moving off the couch. I also started to develop the stranger symptoms like nausea and loss of taste - things that didn't really seem to fit with your typical flu. The nausea was not loss of appetite, but felt exactly like pregnancy nausea - it was the oddest thing. And things started tasting really strange to me - I normally drink ice water but it tasted really strange so I had to switch to room temperature water. It was reading about these strange symptoms in the last week or so in coronavirus patients that got me to wondering!

Anyways, sorry that's really long-winded but I'm so curious now to see what symptoms other people are having and if people think this has actually been circulating longer than suspected!
There is now some research indicating that the virus had been circulating in the population LONG before it took off in the Wuhan area. It may not have even originated in China at all, but probably mutated a bit there and suddenly became more virulent. The scientists who have been sequencing the virus gene have noted different strains. I am sure it will be many months before we really know.

ETA: way too early to say, but if this is true, let's hope that antibodies to the early strain also work on later strains.

There is now some research indicating that the virus had been circulating in the population LONG before it took off in the Wuhan area. It may not have even originated in China at all, but probably mutated a bit there and suddenly became more virulent. The scientists who have been sequencing the virus gene have noted different strains. I am sure it will be many months before we really know.

ETA: way too early to say, but if this is true, let's hope that antibodies to the early strain also work on later strains.
I was just reading some of this as well but it's hard to say what's really going on because it seems like it's really caught up in the propaganda machine! Hopefully we can get some real answers!

I was just reading some of this as well but it's hard to say what's really going on because it seems like it's really caught up in the propaganda machine! Hopefully we can get some real answers!
Any chance you still have the link to where you read it? I think my mom had it at Xmas. I'd love to know more about what 'they're' finding.

Any chance you still have the link to where you read it? I think my mom had it at Xmas. I'd love to know more about what 'they're' finding.
It was more about China accusing the US and saying it's been out since earlier and that the US brought it over there and just how there's a lot of propaganda going around in China right now. It didn't really focus on whether the virus was actually here or not then, more about that China was trying to put out "fake news" so I'm not sure if that's exactly what you were thinking? I think I read it just this morning, possibly on CBC or CNN?

I don't recall the exact link. I read a lot (too much!) about this, but I follow authoritative sources. IIRC the article I linked was a longer piece that I accessed through the CBC. It was just a quick paragraph in a fairly long piece mentioning that several doctors suspect they had already seen the symptoms in circulation prior. I have since seen that same sort of comment in a couple of other articles.

ETA: The research part was based on the work of the scientists who are sequencing the genes who have noted a couple of specific strains and surmised that one was possibly more virulent than the other because as things progressed it was becoming dominant. The work came out of Washington state, but that article was probably 3ish weeks ago. I remember reading about it in the early days.

Note that this is just a theory at this time, and not a very well supported one at this time. Much more research and investigation is needed to understand it, and I don't think anyone will be looking at this situation forensically for quite a while. We hopefully will figure out the true dynamic of this sometime as it will be very instructive to how we should respond in the future.

Last edited:
My niece sent me this article (link below) from USA Today because I also had a very strange respiratory illness in the late fall with COVID 19 symptoms.

I did not really make a connection until a man in milton Ontario died from complications of COVID 19 and one of his symptoms that I had not seen listed any where else was extreme sweating while sleeping.

My symptoms were -
Began with sore throat and headache
Moved to a tight cough
Tight, congested chest which lasted for weeks
Began a fever on the third day which lasted for 5 consecutive days and hit 103.5 (which is when I finally went to the doctor)

Along side of the fever, I would wake up soaked. Now I happen to be entering menopause so I thought maybe it was some weird hormone thing.
It was not like I was lying in water, it was everything was deeply damp, like my sheets and pyjamas had been washed, wrung out and not put in the dryer.
I have had fevers before where I sweated during the sickness. My mom used to say that was the beginning of the fever breaking and it was a good thing. That did not happen, I just continued to wake up excessively clammy and wet for days. I tried to make sure I stayed hydrated but I was sleeping for 8 to 10 hours at a time. I asked my husband to wake me up to drink water. If I had known about COVID then, I would have gone to the doctor sooner, just in case.

Anyway, my niece knew how sick I was and sent me this article.

Idk if what I had was COVID or perhaps a similar flu strain but it was like nothing I have ever had before and the sweating was so so so strange

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...45HDtuhxrDuWxGCgdyrRp1-bNqJK1irmfZQ1AY4sxZIQI

Edited to add-I am not a big believer in conspiracy theories etc I just know that the illness I had was very different than anything I have ever had before

My niece sent me this article (link below) from USA Today because I also had a very strange respiratory illness in the late fall with COVID 19 symptoms.

I did not really make a connection until a man in milton Ontario died from complications of COVID 19 and one of his symptoms that I had not seen listed any where else was extreme sweating while sleeping.

My symptoms were -
Began with sore throat and headache
Moved to a tight cough
Tight, congested chest which lasted for weeks
Began a fever on the third day which lasted for 5 consecutive days and hit 103.5 (which is when I finally went to the doctor)

Along side of the fever, I would wake up soaked. Now I happen to be entering menopause so I thought maybe it was some weird hormone thing.
It was not like I was lying in water, it was everything was deeply damp, like my sheets and pyjamas had been washed, wrung out and not put in the dryer.
I have had fevers before where I sweated during the sickness. My mom used to say that was the beginning of the fever breaking and it was a good thing. That did not happen, I just continued to wake up excessively clammy and wet for days. I tried to make sure I stayed hydrated but I was sleeping for 8 to 10 hours at a time. I asked my husband to wake me up to drink water. If I had known about COVID then, I would have gone to the doctor sooner, just in case.

Anyway, my niece knew how sick I was and sent me this article.

Idk if what I had was COVID or perhaps a similar flu strain but it was like nothing I have ever had before and the sweating was so so so strange

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...45HDtuhxrDuWxGCgdyrRp1-bNqJK1irmfZQ1AY4sxZIQI

Edited to add-I am not a big believer in conspiracy theories etc I just know that the illness I had was very different than anything I have ever had before
I read that article too! And I just wanted to add that I’m the same - I’m not into conspiracy theories at all and I felt like even thinking it was a possibility that I already had it seems like a conspiracy theory so I kept saying no way! But I agree, what I had was completely different than any other bug I’ve had and it didn’t seem to fit the typical symptoms of a flu bug!

I did not read that article but my husband and his boss were very very sick at Christmas . My husband felt nauseous and weak on Boxing Day and the 27th but then seemed to get better for a few days . Then all of a sudden he went down like a ton of bricks . He was in bed for well over a week which I’ve never seen before . He left once to go to the emergency clinic because his cough and breathing were so bad . He barely ate and sweat buckets . We all had flu shots but he was so sick I thought it had to be influenza . It was the better part of two weeks until he was better . I guess we will never know but seeing what we are seeing now I wonder if was Covid 19? He works in a large office with people who would have travelled , its not too crazy to think that’s what it could have been .

Oh and I remember we sent him to the clinic because I was sure it had to be pneumonia with how bad he was coughing and how awful the fever was . The doctor said no and that it had to be viral . I was so surprised .

I'm not a doctor (nor do I play one on television), but everything that I have been reading suggests that it will be 12-18 months before a safe and effective vaccine can realistically be expected (and then you have to factor in production time for seven billion doses).

Quite frankly, looking at the short (instead of the long) term future, I would think that it is unlikely that life will start returning to some semblance of normalcy until one of two things happens - either an effective treatment is developed or the experts can agree on whether or not it is possible to re-catch Covid (the latest that I have heard from Dr. Fauci was that it was unlikely but not a certainty) and a reliable test is developed to determine whether or not an individual has had prior exposure and can therefore end social distancing and self-isolation.

I have a DL vacation booked for the last week of August, so I would love for a miracle cure to be in place by then, but I'm assuming that the odds of that are slim (trending towards none). I can tell you that all of the college classes I am scheduled to teach for the spring/summer session are online and, from what I have seen, it seems more likely than not that in-person classes will not be resuming in September (for either my students or my daughter).

Even if things have started to somewhat improve by late summer or fall, I would still have to think long and hard about traveling outside of Canada for some time to come.

As a pragmatist (trending towards a pessimist), I'm working on the assumption that travel medical insurance is going to be hard to come by (and likely extremely expensive) for the foreseeable future and, even if cross-border travel were permitted if someone in your party had not yet been exposed to Covid (guessing it's a long, long, long time before that happens), would you really want to be outside of Canada without medical insurance??? As much as my family and I are obsessed with Disney, nobody's health (and our financial future) is worth the risk of premature travel into the US. As much as I'm saddened that we have not yet seen Galaxy's Edge, it will still be there in a year (or two or three years)...

Of course, all future travel is predicated on my wife and I still having jobs once all is said and done.

Just an fyi - everything I have said above is strictly my opinion and I do not claim to know any more than anyone else in this forum.

I did not read that article but my husband and his boss were very very sick at Christmas . My husband felt nauseous and weak on Boxing Day and the 27th but then seemed to get better for a few days . Then all of a sudden he went down like a ton of bricks . He was in bed for well over a week which I’ve never seen before . He left once to go to the emergency clinic because his cough and breathing were so bad . He barely ate and sweat buckets . We all had flu shots but he was so sick I thought it had to be influenza . It was the better part of two weeks until he was better . I guess we will never know but seeing what we are seeing now I wonder if was Covid 19? He works in a large office with people who would have travelled , its not too crazy to think that’s what it could have been .

Oh and I remember we sent him to the clinic because I was sure it had to be pneumonia with how bad he was coughing and how awful the fever was . The doctor said no and that it had to be viral . I was so surprised .

I know several people who had that same virus at that same time. Sure will be nice when we can fine out who has the covid-19 antibodies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter