Is anything selling?

famy27

DIS Veteran
Has anyone had luck selling lately? I have my points listed for what seems like a good price, and not so much as a nibble for months. I'd literally take any reasonable offer at this point. I'm kicking myself because the market was so strong, but I had a rental reservation that I had to wait until it was over.

Has anyone had luck selling lately? I have my points listed for what seems like a good price, and not so much as a nibble for months. I'd literally take any reasonable offer at this point. I'm kicking myself because the market was so strong, but I had a rental reservation that I had to wait until it was over.
I think a ton of contracts are selling - it could just be that your specific contract/use year isn't in huge demand at the moment. It could be that the price you listed at is not necessarily as good as you think it is - perhaps too high for people to even offer.

I would scroll through the ROFR thread and see if your contract is priced based on what people have been going to ROFR with. At least then you would have confidence on price.

I think a ton of contracts are selling - it could just be that your specific contract/use year isn't in huge demand at the moment. It could be that the price you listed at is not necessarily as good as you think it is - perhaps too high for people to even offer.

I would scroll through the ROFR thread and see if your contract is priced based on what people have been going to ROFR with. At least then you would have confidence on price.
I've looked through the ROFR data and my price is definitely on the lower end of what's passed.

Tough out there, 2700 listings when it used to hover around 600.
Only the cheapest/loaded contracts are going to get cherrypicked and even then people are going to lowball you.
Might be best to rent out and sell at a later date (unless it's a 2042 resort)

We are trying to sell other real estate and things were pretty dead between October until just last week. Maybe people are just getting used to the higher interest rates and deciding not to wait things out anymore, maybe it's getting easier to borrow money, maybe people are thinking about how to spend their year end bonuses, not sure what it is but we just had several showings and second looks where we had virtually none for the last 3.5 months. Hopefully things turn out well for both of us!

We just sold, listed in September, didn't get a single offer for 2 solid months. We closed January 2023 (I had a reservation pending). Don't give up hope, I almost did and almost just pulled listing down, and then we got the offer. I think some resorts are just more in high demand than others. It's almost tax refund time too, so that may help move some things.

From the perspective of a first time DVC buyer, I only considered 3 resorts, 2 UYs and a point range of 100-150 points as I began my search. The resorts each had their own pros and cons, and it took my awhile to decide which was ultimately the best choice for my family. I knew that I could be picky because of the number of contracts available for sale. With that being said, I only considered contracts with double points for 2023. I also only made offers that were on the low end of what I saw accepted on this board. It seems that the simple combo of low per point cost and double points are necessary to even get a nibble.

My initial offer was rejected and I offered more than at least 6 contracts at the same resort per this board.

I had a nice discussion with the broker and he seemed exasperated. I got the sense that he felt my offer was low but his seller had it listed too high.

To be honest I will make additional offers at close to what my offer was on this contract to see how it goes. When I see reports of offers of 130 to 135 being accepted I do not think offering 137 is unreasonable

According to the broker loaded contracts are worth 10 dollars a point more but I am not ready to accept that yet.

Historically, the market under-values loaded contracts and over-values stripped ones, relative to rental values. But, $10 might be in the ballpark, as it's only about 2/3-1/2 of rental value.
The issue I had were the contract’s being discussed at the 130 to 135 range were supposedly loaded.

I may be off the mark but making a few more offers before I reevaluate can’t hurt.

I have identified close to 10 contracts that will work at 1 resort and I have 3 other resorts I would be happy to own with significantly more available

I see a lot of larger contracts out there (200+ points) that in my opinion are going to be harder to sell. One of the reasons I bought a bunch of smaller 50-75 point contracts. Yes, the fees were a larger percentage and the per point cost was higher, but when I get ready to sell, if ever, they usually go very fast.

I’ve had 2 smaller non-stripped contracts (less than 100 points each) on a site for months - no offers - and price is right - less than I’ve seen on competitors’ sites - I’m thinking of pulling the listings - I don’t really need to sell -

I'd get an instant sale quote from the board sponsor and then ask for $10 more, but everyone's case is unique.

IMO pricing is relative to what someone is willing to pay. What may have been a good price a couple of months ago, may not be today based on less buyers, more sellers, Disney not exercising ROFR and of course if a buyer is financing, interest rates.
As someone who is considering offering on another contract I have been watching prices for the past month and they are falling. Fidelity's listings seem to be the lowest, so I am judging current market by their pricing, not other broker sites who are 20 - 30% higher. I also checked the recent closings at the Orange County Comp Controller to see what prices contracts closed at in the past 30 days. This is also showing a downward trend.
Even after all that I believe we are going lower in the next few months and will wait until the right contract comes along.
If you have to sell consider lowering the price until it sells. If you do not, pull it off the market and wait and see what the future holds.
Do not feel bad for waiting on selling, I am currently selling a rental property that is now priced at 10% less than peak which was only June of last year. Frustrating yes, but no one knows what the future holds and you can not have regrets for the past.

While there has also been an uptick of contracts around dues collection time, the numbers have gone up drastically this year. I have been actively following the contract numbers as well as the OPs shared.

• Some folks want to get out while the market has been hot (but have not realized how quickly it has been cooling and becoming over-saturated by contracts).
  • For a while, the difference between restricted resale points and new "clean" points created a reason for some to buy direct and some to sell and rebuy a new resort direct.
  • Fears of recession, layoffs in the tech sector, cost to travel, inflation, hearing about the magic being gone, etc. all have to play a role.
  • Even small points contracts (50 and below) are actually sitting for longer.
  • The rental market is starting to see a lot of saturation and complaint it is slowing. If some pull listings to rent, that will impact that.
And as TCRAIG said - some don't need to sell. And in this environment, while I want to buy, I don't need to buy.

I wonder how much of that is just people buying larger contracts for significantly lower prices - i see ~6 50 point contracts all very close in price and all of them have been around for awhile.

I have been following SSR and OKW with some interest but for me 50 pts is too small. I have seen quite a few 100 pt contracts going through at 95 which makes it very tough to buy 50 at 125-135+.

$9500 for 100pt contract vs $6750 for a 50 pt
I’ve been thinking about this as well. I can buy a 100 point contract right now for almost the same price as a 50-75 point contract. It’s very tempting but I don’t want to pay annual dues on the extra 25-50 points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter