Is Aulani geared more toward DVC owners?

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
It seems like DVC owners get a large variety of perks at Aulani from what I’ve been reading on this forum. I’m wondering as a hotel, cash-paying guest if I will feel jipped as far as service is concerned. I’ve stayed at the Grand Californian many times and never felt that way but for some reason Aulani feels different. I’m catching a vibe here and on other websites as I do my research.

Just wondering since I have plenty of time to cancel and book elsewhere if necessary. My spidey senses are tingling about my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. I want it to be 100% enjoyable.

DVC Perks such as free parking were a bonus for us since we were there for 12 nights. At $37 / day it would have been an additional expense we would have had to consider.

Special wristbands for pool access, no big deal.

A member's celebration every Monday evening. It's on the DVC side so non-DVC members may not even be aware.

10% discount on merchandise. DVC members with a blue card have to ask for it to get it.

Would I feel jipped if I was paying cash to stay? No, but I do appreciate the perks but wouldn't become a DVC member just for them.

Parking is not a perk,,,,all DVC properties have parking included,,,we pay for it with our dues. The cash guest are not getting jipped, look at it this way,,,your able to stay at a timeshare. Once the timeshare is sold out, there will be limited rooms available for cash. You can rent points from a member and get the parking included, just not the 10% off (which not all DVC members get) or the shinny bracelets, which I preferred the regular ones.

It's definitely a better value if you go there over and over again, but that's true of any timeshare program. Aulani was designed to cater to both, but DVC owners are essentially locking in a long term discount by putting down a large amount towards future vacations.

I personally don't really think the hotel rooms are worth the cash price, but I think it is worth going if you can use a low amount of points.

Don’t go else where. We stayed in august with a split stay with a different hotel then went to aulani as a non DVC guest and still enjoyed it 100% more than our last hotel.

look at it this way,,,your able to stay at a timeshare.
Interesting perspective. I was looking at it the way I look at the Grand Californian when I stay there… I’m staying at a lovely hotel. It never even crosses my mind that the Grand is also DVC. It’s more of a grand hotel feel to me.

I assumed Aulani would feel more grand hotel and less timeshare.

Don’t go else where. We stayed in august with a split stay with a different hotel then went to aulani as a non DVC guest and still enjoyed it 100% more than our last hotel.
My niece lived in Oahu for years and she recommended 3 hotels to me one being Aulani. I looked at the other two on TripAdvisor and Aulani won out. I liked that Aulani is removed from the bustle of Waikiki. She confirmed my choice.

I personally don't really think the hotel rooms are worth the cash price, but I think it is worth going if you can use a low amount of points.
We got a good cash price deal during the 25% off sale plus an extra discount for booking with our Disney Visa. If the room had been $700-800 we would have booked elsewhere in that price range.

We got a good cash price deal during the 25% off sale plus an extra discount for booking with our Disney Visa. If the room had been $700-800 we would have booked elsewhere in that price range.
Yeah I would probably pay up to $400 a night. The current sale puts the cheapest rooms at $475 plus parking fees if you have a car, and I'm not sure I can justify that.

Yeah I would probably pay up to $400 a night. The current sale puts the cheapest rooms at $475 plus parking fees if you have a car, and I'm not sure I can justify that.
Ours was cheaper with our Disney Card. It’s not advertised on the website. We won’t have a car and will Uber.

Most hotels on the beach in Waikiki are more than $500 easily. What makes you believe the Aulani rooms are not worth the same price? The square footage at Aulani is larger than the ones we looked at in Waikiki and the amenities seem comparable.

We also will receive a $150 resort credit and were able to use our Visa redemption dollars toward the booking as well. So, for us, it’s below the $400 mark per night.

I think I just talked myself back into staying at Aulani. 😂

Last edited:
Ours was cheaper with our Disney Card. It’s not advertised on the website. We won’t have a car and will Uber.

Most hotels on the beach in Waikiki are more than $500 easily. What makes you believe the Aulani rooms are not worth the same price? The square footage at Aulani is after than the ones we looked at in Waikiki and the amenities seem comparable.

We also will receive a $150 resort credit and were able to use our Visa redemption dollars toward the booking as well. So, for us, it’s below the $400 mark per night.

I have some issues with Aulani - but that is a great price and Aulani is definitely worth that IMO

we stayed on cash and had just closed on our AUL DVC contract. So we had a unique perspective of being both DVC and not :-)

There was no discernable difference. Sure, you can go get a little "I'm important" boost to your ego with the DVC trinkets. No judgment if that's your thing. But the resort and entire experience was so nice that we're going back in May

Most hotels on the beach in Waikiki are more than $500 easily. What makes you believe the Aulani rooms are not worth the same price? The square footage at Aulani is larger than the ones we looked at in Waikiki and the amenities seem comparable.

I don't think the Waikiki rooms are worth that either. Aulani is definitely in a better location and offers more value for the same price.

My first choice is to use my own DVC points. Best value, access to all the resort offers, and free parking.

My next choice is renting a condo at Turtle Bay resort. People who own there will list on Airbnb or VRBO and you can get a 1 bedroom place with a full kitchen for under $300. You don't have all the amenities of a resort, but you can access several basic pools and some amazing beaches. I also think the North Shore is the best location on Oahu.

If somehow nothing up there is available at all, then I would look for the cheaper Waikiki options or the Courtyard North Shore. Again those are more basic than Aulani, but I probably don't spend as much time at the resort as most guests.

If you are used to Grand Cal then you will feel right at home at Aulani. It’s a beautiful resort, but definitely a Disney resort.

I don't think the Waikiki rooms are worth that either. Aulani is definitely in a better location and offers more value for the same price.

My first choice is to use my own DVC points. Best value, access to all the resort offers, and free parking.

My next choice is renting a condo at Turtle Bay resort. People who own there will list on Airbnb or VRBO and you can get a 1 bedroom place with a full kitchen for under $300. You don't have all the amenities of a resort, but you can access several basic pools and some amazing beaches. I also think the North Shore is the best location on Oahu.

If somehow nothing up there is available at all, then I would look for the cheaper Waikiki options or the Courtyard North Shore. Again those are more basic than Aulani, but I probably don't spend as much time at the resort as most guests.
I agree with you; I think I'm one the few people who hate Waikiki. It seems so touristy and dirty. Last summer before Disney changed the 50% borrowing rule I booked 6 nights at Aulani and 3 nights at a VRBO that was directly on the beach on the North Shore. VRBO doesn't give the exact address until you book but thanks to the pics the owner had included in the listing I was able to locate the exact house. It was AMAZING, it had its own little private beach. I booked 3 nights and it was $1700. A few months later Disney changed the borrowing rule back to 100% points and I ended up canceling the VRBO. I really wanted to have our own private beach for 3 nights but I couldn't justify the cost after Disney changed their borrowing rule..... not to mention packing up the car and moving is a pain. We're now booked for all 9 nights at Aulani. I wouldn't hesitate to book a VRBO in a pinch though. There's some really nice rentals in Oahu.

I agree with you; I think I'm one the few people who hate Waikiki. It seems so touristy and dirty. Last summer before Disney changed the 50% borrowing rule I booked 6 nights at Aulani and 3 nights at a VRBO that was directly on the beach on the North Shore. VRBO doesn't give the exact address until you book but thanks to the pics the owner had included in the listing I was able to locate the exact house. It was AMAZING, it had its own little private beach. I booked 3 nights and it was $1700. A few months later Disney changed the borrowing rule back to 100% points and I ended up canceling the VRBO. I really wanted to have our own private beach for 3 nights but I couldn't justify the cost after Disney changed their borrowing rule..... not to mention packing up the car and moving is a pain. We're now booked for all 9 nights at Aulani. I wouldn't hesitate to book a VRBO in a pinch though. There's some really nice rentals in Oahu.
My first trip to Oahu was a small Airbnb right off the main road of the North Shore. While it wasn't a private beach, I was right across from the famous Velzyland surf break, had a kitchen, and had free parking for $148/night. Now this had zero resort amenities, but having a car really negates the need for on-site restaurants and shopping.

My first trip to Oahu was a small Airbnb right off the main road of the North Shore. While it wasn't a private beach, I was right across from the famous Velzyland surf break, had a kitchen, and had free parking for $148/night. Now this had zero resort amenities, but having a car really negates the need for on-site restaurants and shopping.
Wow what an amazing deal!! A car is a must for us!

I agree with you; I think I'm one the few people who hate Waikiki. It seems so touristy and dirty.

I'm with you here, when I land in Oahu, I feel like I just landed back at home dealing with traffic and the hustle/bustle of the city. This is why I like Aulani, it's pretty far removed and a great "turn off your brain" situation for sure.

Have you spent time on Maui? If you like wide open spaces and a slow vacation without the crowds (but still want amenities, like Target/Costco), that might be the place for you. All my friends who like to avoid Oahu (which is still beautiful and fun to visit), typically love Maui.

@AustinTink Do you feel that way at WDW resorts? DVC members get perks there too... Honestly, with the except of free parking, none of the perks are that overwhelming (sparkly band woo hoo) and you probably wouldn't ever realize it if didn't come here. My wife and I bought in to DVC at Aulani on a cash stay. It wasn't until the sales meeting that we even realized the added stuff...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter