Is Aulani geared more toward DVC owners?

@AustinTink Do you feel that way at WDW resorts? DVC members get perks there too... Honestly, with the except of free parking, none of the perks are that overwhelming (sparkly band woo hoo) and you probably wouldn't ever realize it if didn't come here. My wife and I bought in to DVC at Aulani on a cash stay. It wasn't until the sales meeting that we even realized the added stuff...
We go exclusively to DLR now not WDW. I mentioned up thread that the Grand Californian feels like a luxury hotel and not a timeshare.

I agree with you; I think I'm one the few people who hate Waikiki. It seems so touristy and dirty. Last summer before Disney changed the 50% borrowing rule I booked 6 nights at Aulani and 3 nights at a VRBO that was directly on the beach on the North Shore. VRBO doesn't give the exact address until you book but thanks to the pics the owner had included in the listing I was able to locate the exact house. It was AMAZING, it had its own little private beach. I booked 3 nights and it was $1700. A few months later Disney changed the borrowing rule back to 100% points and I ended up canceling the VRBO. I really wanted to have our own private beach for 3 nights but I couldn't justify the cost after Disney changed their borrowing rule..... not to mention packing up the car and moving is a pain. We're now booked for all 9 nights at Aulani. I wouldn't hesitate to book a VRBO in a pinch though. There's some really nice rentals in Oahu.
I dont like Waikiki as well. I only go there to eat dinner at Marugame Udon.

It seems like DVC owners get a large variety of perks at Aulani from what I’ve been reading on this forum. I’m wondering as a hotel, cash-paying guest if I will feel jipped as far as service is concerned. I’ve stayed at the Grand Californian many times and never felt that way but for some reason Aulani feels different. I’m catching a vibe here and on other websites as I do my research.

Just wondering since I have plenty of time to cancel and book elsewhere if necessary. My spidey senses are tingling about my once-in-a-lifetime trip to Hawaii. I want it to be 100% enjoyable.
The perks they are giving to DVC members are really about getting DVC members to recruit new members. I felt something similar when I was on a cruise. However, I don't think that non DVC members are getting shafted in any way at all. Non DVC members are potential future DVC members so I am certain that Disney wants their experience to be awesome.
Here are some of the perks:
At the mickey-ear craft thing the kids did, my nephew wanted blue as his base color. It wasn't initially available, but when he asked, he was told he could have that color and it was only available to DVC members.
We got pool wrist bands that had more sparkle than non DVC members.
We got popcorn refills supposedly available only to DVC members.
I got a free drawstring sports pack, and it was higher quality than some that they have given out in the past. It had some zip pockets on it.
My sister and niece liked the free lanyards.
There was a celebration under the stars that we did not attend due to it being held on our last night, and my niece wanting to have her kids in bed early because they had to get up early the next morning.

The perks they are giving to DVC members are really about getting DVC members to recruit new members. I felt something similar when I was on a cruise. However, I don't think that non DVC members are getting shafted in any way at all. Non DVC members are potential future DVC members so I am certain that Disney wants their experience to be awesome.
Here are some of the perks:
At the mickey-ear craft thing the kids did, my nephew wanted blue as his base color. It wasn't initially available, but when he asked, he was told he could have that color and it was only available to DVC members.
We got pool wrist bands that had more sparkle than non DVC members.
We got popcorn refills supposedly available only to DVC members.
I got a free drawstring sports pack, and it was higher quality than some that they have given out in the past. It had some zip pockets on it.
My sister and niece liked the free lanyards.
There was a celebration under the stars that we did not attend due to it being held on our last night, and my niece wanting to have her kids in bed early because they had to get up early the next morning.
Those are all nice perks. Now that we’re empty nesters all the kid-oriented stuff doesn’t apply to us i.e. crafts and such. My husband would like the free popcorn refills though!

Last edited:
If I toss out the location to a theme park as a criterion, GC is #5 for me, behind Aulani, WL, Poly, and AKL.

I'm with you here, when I land in Oahu, I feel like I just landed back at home dealing with traffic and the hustle/bustle of the city. This is why I like Aulani, it's pretty far removed and a great "turn off your brain" situation for sure.

Have you spent time on Maui? If you like wide open spaces and a slow vacation without the crowds (but still want amenities, like Target/Costco), that might be the place for you. All my friends who like to avoid Oahu (which is still beautiful and fun to visit), typically love Maui.
Completely agree! I've actually never been to Maui but have considered it. I think we may try to island hop over to Maui next year. Thanks for the recommendation! :love: April

DVC Perks such as free parking were a bonus for us since we were there for 12 nights. At $37 / day it would have been an additional expense we would have had to consider.

Special wristbands for pool access, no big deal.

A member's celebration every Monday evening. It's on the DVC side so non-DVC members may not even be aware.

10% discount on merchandise. DVC members with a blue card have to ask for it to get it.

Would I feel jipped if I was paying cash to stay? No, but I do appreciate the perks but wouldn't become a DVC member just for them.
DVC members get free popcorn refills as well too, right? Any other perks for DVC members that anyone else knows of?

DVC members get free popcorn refills as well too, right? Any other perks for DVC members that anyone else knows of?
Yes DVC members get free popcorn refills. Other perks not mentioned previously up-thread I can think of are:
- When we were in Feb, there were also a couple of games (taking selfies in front of landmarks for one, and returning to DVC center 5 days in a row to guess a daily Hawaiian word) for members to play and get pins when finished.
- Special character photo ops (we didn’t participate this year, but have done it in the past).
- 10% discount off casabella rebtals.
- discount for rainbow reef (forget the exact name).
- souvenirs for members (I think prints, lanyards, luggage tags, can’t remember all since I usually get them at VGC)
- last year, DVC members received email invites to be in the American Idol audience, and we were given priority entry when we showed up. This year, however, there was no email invite.

Yes DVC members get free popcorn refills. Other perks not mentioned previously up-thread I can think of are:
- When we were in Feb, there were also a couple of games (taking selfies in front of landmarks for one, and returning to DVC center 5 days in a row to guess a daily Hawaiian word) for members to play and get pins when finished.
- Special character photo ops (we didn’t participate this year, but have done it in the past).
- 10% discount off casabella rebtals.
- discount for rainbow reef (forget the exact name).
- souvenirs for members (I think prints, lanyards, luggage tags, can’t remember all since I usually get them at VGC)
- last year, DVC members received email invites to be in the American Idol audience, and we were given priority entry when we showed up. This year, however, there was no email invite.
If staying in Studio you get tokens for the laundry room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter