Is Epcot worth going to before its refurb is over?

The title says it.

I think that my family would really love Epcot (we've never been), but with all this "ugly refurb," should we go before the new stuff is finished? Is it worth it? Or should we wait?
This year due to the time of our arrival we are doing an evening of world showcase with a handful or rides (Soarin, Frozen, SSE, MSG). We will show EPCOT more love on our next trip in 2-3 years when all the new stuff is complete.

Anyone have other input on Epcot being a two day park or not? I was planning for two days at EP but if a majority believes that it only deserves one day or a few hops that may change the plan. Or is it more of a 1.5 day park?

You quoted me but I can add a little insight. I went to WDW for 1 day after our Disney cruise in December. It was Christmas Day. Even with the crowds I did what we wanted to do that day. Only reasons to go for more than 1 day are (1) food and (2) if you want to see every single movie in the world showcase. I always skip the movies. With smart fast pass uses I think 1 day is plenty. For my upcoming trip, I am planning 2 half days. Mainly for the food.

The "refurb" is such a small portion of Epcot that other than a few construction walls it won't affect your experience.

I have to disagree. It is not a small portion. There are walls up now at both entrances. With the one at Future World being pretty bad. Spaceship Earth, once it closes, is estimated to be down more than a year. The fountain is being removed. Both the Starbucks and Mousegears are going to be moved to temporary homes. The Electric Umbrella is going to close. Club Cool will be no more. That is more than a few construction walls.

I posted a few days ago while at Epcot that if you are driving to the park you should expect longer than normal walks, as you have to go way around to the left to where they have security set up. And then the lines were enormous. The lines to get into the park were bad too, but thank goodness for my AP. That line was empty.

I love Epcot. And the thought of what they are doing all at once makes me cringe.

Wow, I did not know Spaceship Earth would be closing. And for so long. This plus all the ugly construction has me saying this will be 1/2 day out of our 11 days. We like rides. We pay for rides. There are only so many times you can walk through all the shops in the countries. Disappointing as it was one of our favorite parks.

It really depends on what you want to do at Epcot. Do you want to go on all the attractions, (12 in total) see all the live entertainment (10 in total) and do meet and greets?maybe if you share what you and your family want to do then we could give a more educated answer
Right, of course. As it's our first time and there aren't a crazy amount of attractions we want to see all the attractions (rides and shows). Live entertainment is more of a "if we pass by" thing. We'll stop and watch if we happen to catch it. However if there are any extraordinary pieces of live entertainment in Epcot we could make an effort to see them. My sister would probably enjoy M&Gs, especially Anna/Elsa . She tends to be scared of the very large furry characters while she is fine with characters that are "played" by actual people.

Right, of course. As it's our first time and there aren't a crazy amount of attractions we want to see all the attractions (rides and shows). Live entertainment is more of a "if we pass by" thing. We'll stop and watch if we happen to catch it. However if there are any extraordinary pieces of live entertainment in Epcot we could make an effort to see them. My sister would probably enjoy M&Gs, especially Anna/Elsa . She tends to be scared of the very large furry characters while she is fine with characters that are "played" by actual people.
rides and shows will take an entire day. Meaning very little looking around the countries and shops and short amount of time for meals, this is if you are counting all the rides and shows

rides and shows will take an entire day. Meaning very little looking around the countries and shops and short amount of time for meals, this is if you are counting all the rides and shows
Okay, well then two days it is. We want to take time to look around, get snacks, and enjoy food!

I have to disagree. It is not a small portion. There are walls up now at both entrances. With the one at Future World being pretty bad. Spaceship Earth, once it closes, is estimated to be down more than a year. The fountain is being removed. Both the Starbucks and Mousegears are going to be moved to temporary homes. The Electric Umbrella is going to close. Club Cool will be no more. That is more than a few construction walls.

I posted a few days ago while at Epcot that if you are driving to the park you should expect longer than normal walks, as you have to go way around to the left to where they have security set up. And then the lines were enormous. The lines to get into the park were bad too, but thank goodness for my AP. That line was empty.

I love Epcot. And the thought of what they are doing all at once makes me cringe.
None of these are major attractions (other than spaceship earth, which sorely needs a refresh). Club cool will relocate but that’s a minor attraction. The fountain is aesthetic, or an attraction. Electric Umbrella is no big loss in a park with tons of food options. Starbucks and pin traders are moving. The walls will be annoying but in terms of attractions, the only real loss is spaceship earth.

None of these are major attractions (other than spaceship earth, which sorely needs a refresh). Club cool will relocate but that’s a minor attraction. The fountain is aesthetic, or an attraction. Electric Umbrella is no big loss in a park with tons of food options. Starbucks and pin traders are moving. The walls will be annoying but in terms of attractions, the only real loss is spaceship earth.

I don't agree. With the closing/moving of both the Electric Umbrella and Starbucks now you have to go inside of the Land pavilion to get quick food in the whole of Future World. Not everyone runs to the World Showcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter