Is having 2 use years *that* bad / annoying / difficult?

Sorry to hijack but is there any data out there on which month(s) are the more available use years?

Essentially to think about the original post, maybe people with a certain use year would have to be more flexible to add a second use year on their account?

Totally depends. If you want it to use with your existing points it’s frankly a total pain. However if it were Aulani points or Disneyland to use for separate trips then I’d do it

Sorry to hijack but is there any data out there on which month(s) are the more available use years?

Essentially to think about the original post, maybe people with a certain use year would have to be more flexible to add a second use year on their account?

There is an unequal distribution of points based on use year. Depending on which resort you're trying to add, certain use years are more prevalent than others. Unfortunately I haven't seen a more updated version of this including the newer resorts.

https://dvcnews.com/?view=article&id=4071&catid=166

When you transfer to the other membership, will they be hidden or visible?

They will be in a temporary contract that is created in your account.

The only time it will show up is when you go to book and have to choose the contract to use.

They won’t show in your dashboard or anything which means you have to keep track yourself, which includes which trip you put them in.

I almost lost 2 points last year because o forgot I had them as they had been in a trip I shortened and of course, did not see them in the dashboard.

I was able to modify a different trip and pull them in, and while it wasn’t a lot of points, it would have been sad to lose them.

They will be in a temporary contract that is created in your account.

The only time it will show up is when you go to book and have to choose the contract to use.

They won’t show in your dashboard or anything which means you have to keep track yourself, which includes which trip you put them in.

I almost lost 2 points last year because o forgot I had them as they had been in a trip I shortened and of course, did not see them in the dashboard.

I was able to modify a different trip and pull them in, and while it wasn’t a lot of points, it would have been sad to lose them.
Thank you 😊 no one wants to lose points!

We have an august use year on our first contract, but have come to find that at the moment we prefer to travel in feb, may, June and august. Looking to add an additional contract and it seems February would be better?

Please share your experience on how hard or annoying it is to have two use years, especially if I want to bundle all points for one big trip per year?

Thank you!
I own Feb and Oct UYs because we travel in spring and fall. This is what I have discovered from my experience transferring points.

1) You have to call MS to transfer the points. You can do it ahead of the 11 month booking window if you want, but you will NOT see the points on the DVC member site until you check out an online reservation booked within the 7 month window. For some reason the temporary contract MS sets up for you is not visible for online reservations in the 11 to 7 month window, even if both memberships (UYs) have the same home resort. If you want to book in 11 to 7 month window, then it is best to make 1 phone call to transfer points and make the reservation at the same time.

2) If you are trying to get a high demand room right at 11 months, then you are booking 1 hour after everyone else by waiting to call MS. Better to go with same UY for this situation. If not a high demand time, no problem having 2 different use years, unless you consider calling MS a problem.

Do you have a specific month you would want to take the one big trip? I would avoid doing the big trip in May or June because you are within 90 days of the end of the Aug UY.

The Aug UY banking window closes March 31. The Feb UY banking window closes Sep. 30. That means the banking windows of the 2 UYs overlap in Feb, Mar, Aug, and Sep. I think those would be the best periods to combine your points. I would use the Aug UY for Aug and Feb trips and Feb UY for May and Jun trips when not combining.

I hope this is helpful.

I own Feb and Oct UYs because we travel in spring and fall. This is what I have discovered from my experience transferring points.

1) You have to call MS to transfer the points. You can do it ahead of the 11 month booking window if you want, but you will NOT see the points on the DVC member site until you check out an online reservation booked within the 7 month window. For some reason the temporary contract MS sets up for you is not visible for online reservations in the 11 to 7 month window, even if both memberships (UYs) have the same home resort. If you want to book in 11 to 7 month window, then it is best to make 1 phone call to transfer points and make the reservation at the same time.

2) If you are trying to get a high demand room right at 11 months, then you are booking 1 hour after everyone else by waiting to call MS. Better to go with same UY for this situation. If not a high demand time, no problem having 2 different use years, unless you consider calling MS a problem.

Do you have a specific month you would want to take the one big trip? I would avoid doing the big trip in May or June because you are within 90 days of the end of the Aug UY.

The Aug UY banking window closes March 31. The Feb UY banking window closes Sep. 30. That means the banking windows of the 2 UYs overlap in Feb, Mar, Aug, and Sep. I think those would be the best periods to combine your points. I would use the Aug UY for Aug and Feb trips and Feb UY for May and Jun trips when not combining.

I hope this is helpful.
This is very helpful thank you very much!

It’s honestly all pretty complicated! I’m thinking I should keep it simple. There are pretty attractive contracts out there for other use years but since I will often want to combine at least some points for larger trips I’m not sure I want to grapple with two use years. Thank you so much everyone for your insights!!

We have two UY's, February for all of our WDW points, and December for all of our Aulani. We did this specifically to keep them in separate memberships and lessen the ease with which we can "steal" from one to add to the other. The Feb WDW UY is driven by our habit of traveling to Florida in the springtime. The December UY for Aulani was really just a random choice and doesn't really matter because we go to Hawaii several times a year, and seasons aren't quite so critical for travel.

We HAVE started taking a yearly trip to BRV for the holidays, and that February UY isn't totally ideal, but with some planning there shouldn't be any problems.

I have October and March use years. I group them according to season. October points are used for summer vacations and March use years are used for vacations during the holidays. We always split our vacation into 2 resorts: BLT/OKW for summer, and VGF and AKV for Thanksgiving/Christmas. I like 2 use years, and I am always in the borrowing stage.. I never missed a banking yet, that's because I use all of the current years and then tap into banked points. It works for me! I have (after this last purchase) 845 points. Hubby and I always chose a 1 bedroom. He's snoring right now, and I'm ty[ing in the living area. ")
If seems to me that March(banking by Oct 31)would be better for summer and October(banking byMay 31) for Thx-Xmas to keep from being in the 4 month window to not be able to bank points if have to cancel. Is that how you use your points or did you mistakenly switch how used above?

If seems to me that March(banking by Oct 31)would be better for summer and October(banking byMay 31) for Thx-Xmas to keep from being in the 4 month window to not be able to bank points if have to cancel. Is that how you use your points or did you mistakenly switch how used above?
Yeah, I did the old switch aroo. Thank you for the catch. March is for summer and Oct is for late year.

So grateful for this post and the info from knowledgeable DVC folks. We own direct at GF (Feb UY) and we are doing research before buying a resale contract at BW/BC. The info about possibly different use years is awesome. Thank you!

Having multiple UYs is a pain. People who are new to the DVC process need to know that upfront.

You are taking a product that is already somewhat complicated to use on a complicated vacation and adding another level of complication that does not need to be added.

Try and have as few UYs as possible is the council that the overwhelming majority of members would tell you.

So grateful for this post and the info from knowledgeable DVC folks. We own direct at GF (Feb UY) and we are doing research before buying a resale contract at BW/BC. The info about possibly different use years is awesome. Thank you!

We have three and it works out well because we use each one as though it is all we own.

We book different trips on different memberships. We do a lot of split stays so we can manipulate which parts of each trip to book on which membership.

While we have done a few transfers of small points here or there, it’s something we avoid at all costs, even if I have to borrow points in one membership while I have points in the other.

If the goal is to always use together, then it really does make it easier to keep one.

We have three and it works out well because we use each one as though it is all we own.............
This. As previously mentioned, we have 5 different UYs. 4 of them are for resort/date specific stays at the 11 month window. The other one are SAP's and it really doesn't matter for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter