Is it hard to go back to a non DVC hotel after staying DVC??

Dina

DIS Veteran
Well, we're out of points after staying 10 days in a 2 bedroom this past January (2 bedroom isn't the norm for us, but we wanted to bring my parents). However, we got such a great discount on annual passes through DVC, it seemed almost silly to get MYW passes. We also got a DDE card--- so, we just couldn't let the year pass without putting the AP and DDE card to use. We booked a trip this summer staying at Coronado Springs (right now we have a good AAA discount, but of course hoping for an AP discount). We were able to use our Disney Visa reward point to pay for the down payment of the room (and I already used it for some of the balance). DH thinks if we're out of points and still booking trips--- well, he thinks we have a "problem." Do any of you guys still take non DVC trips even though you're DVC members??? Buying more points is out of the question until I finish nursing school. Going anywhere else is tough because of my son's food allergies--- Disney's just so much easier than going anywhere else, and it's driveable (18 hours, but we can do it!!)

Dina my son has food allergies too (mostly just nuts- all nuts even coconut) so I hear you on the 'it's easier'. We went to Sesame Place last June and stayed in a regular motel room - NEVER AGAIN! OMG it was horrible when compared to the luxury of staying in a DVC room with a kitchen and laundry. The worst part of it was at 8pm when the kids fell asleep we had to go to bed because we were all in one room. I think we are honestly spoiled from having DVC.
That being said, I hear you on the can't buy more points thing- but what about renting someone elses points? You end up with a better room for close to the same money you'd spend. Check out the rental board - points are averaging $8-10.

I do. In Sep, I got to Night of Joy weekend, will stay Pop Century. There is no way I would waste points for those two nights (fri and sat). I love Pop, so not hard at all.

That being said, I think for a week long vacation type trip, I would rent pts from someone before I would pay for a hotel room. Hopefully we won't run out of pts in the next few years though.

my wife has turned from any hotel will do to a Hotel snob since we became members.

If it does not have a washer/dryer she won't stay there...lol

We usually stay in a 2BR when we go to WDW. A couple of years ago, we stayed in a 2 BR at OKW for 5 nights and then moved to AKL for 2 nights. The kids loved AKL (we had a savannah view and they loved watching the animals from the balcony), but kept asking where the living room and kitchen were. They were only 4 yrs old & 2 yrs old at the time, so I wasn't expecting them to be critiquing the accomodations!:)

We moved from a 1BR at VWL to a regular lodge room last year for a couple of nights and it was a shocker. I felt like we could hardly move! I still would rather stay in a regular room than stay home! I'm sure your trip will be great.

I guess we have become hotel snobs too. I now hate going on business trips because they stick me in "A REGULAR HOTEL ROOM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared1: It's not like they put us in a Holiday Inn. We normally stay in Omni's and Hyatt's. But I just can't get over not having at least a sitting area to stretch out and relax in. When we go some where other than WDW, we now stay at all suites hotels or upgrade to suites at regular hotels. I used to think that DVC was affordable. But after taking into consideration the amount of moeny I use to up grade all other trips, I'm not sure anymore. ;)

Hehehe!! I know we're so spoiled by DVC!! I would borrow, but I'm a control freak, and not being able to communicate with MS about my reservation (or trust someone I've never met) scares me too much. I've always wanted to stay at Coronado, so I guess we'll deal (I'm just glad to be going to be honest!!)!!

Did you borrow your own points from next year already??

Yep--- Only way I could get a 2br for the legnth of time that we had. It's not something we'll do often (we didn't buy points with the intention of using a 2br-- we figured studio or maybe 1br) my parents haven't gone in 15 years, and we really wanted them to come with us (my mom has cancer-- so we really wanted to bring my parents before she starts chemo).

A friend of mine (DVCer, too) is planning on "slumming" (her words, not mine) this summer, if Disney offers the DDP again, BUT, she's only considering a value or a mod. Above that level, she says it doesn't pay.
I'm curious to hear her report, especially since she has never stayed anywhere but deluxe, even before DVC!:rolleyes1

Very hard, but we have done it. Have stayed at primarily deluxe resorts like Poly, Contemporary, AKL, and YC. We have also stayed at Coronado Springs for a number of conferences. Have a GF planned for 30th anniversary surprise in 2008 (my wife tells me everytime we see the resort that she would like to stay there :))

Though we must admit to having bought into the Marriott Vacation Club program so we can enjoy villas when we travel away from Disney.

Hehehe!! I know we're so spoiled by DVC!! I would borrow, but I'm a control freak, and not being able to communicate with MS about my reservation (or trust someone I've never met) scares me too much. I've always wanted to stay at Coronado, so I guess we'll deal (I'm just glad to be going to be honest!!)!!

Though it's not a DVC resort, CSR is really pretty nice. I liked staying there for a few days. The pool is really nice and we liked the breakfast at Maya. The food court had a lot of choices, too. I just like my beds bigger than double sized.

Anyway, any day at Disney is better than being home or at work. Right??

My answer would be both yes and no. Yes because as a family of three we tend to do a 1-bedroom at our home resort OKW for most of out trips. The luxury of that amount of space is truly addicting ! However since our quantity of points is limited we often find that a good AP rate allows us to squeeze in "just one more trip ..". Between DVC and non-dvc we did 8 (!) trips on the last AP. Also, since our DVC trips are already "paid for" we have more money available for the other trips - allows us to indulge in the deluxes more often than we would have otherwise. The least this family will do is a moderate, my daughter will wail "NOOoooooo" if we even drive into a value :rotfl:.

Anyway, any day at Disney is better than being home or at work. Right??

You got that right!! Although I don't know if I could do a value again (I feel terrible even typing that--- I'm really not a snob)--- but we've always enjoyed staying at a moderate, so I think we'll be ok, but I sure will miss staying in a villa (I just LOVE OKW!)

I do. In Sep, I got to Night of Joy weekend, will stay Pop Century. There is no way I would waste points for those two nights (fri and sat). I love Pop, so not hard at all.

That being said, I think for a week long vacation type trip, I would rent pts from someone before I would pay for a hotel room. Hopefully we won't run out of pts in the next few years though.

I agree try renting points.

We just got back from an all-cash trip. Our points are tied up going to HHI this summer and BWV for Thanksgiving '07. We booked at FW cabins on an AP rate of $169.00. It had a villa feel with the seperate bedroom and kitchen and living room. It was not as big as a one bedroom villa but we still had room to spread out and when the kids went to bed (on the bunk beds that they were thrilled with) we still had a living room to hang out in. We really enjoyed the big deck with a picnic table that we used for B-B-Q's twice during our week. It was also very peaceful and quiet and the campground was beautiful. I know we'll go back again for a visit someday. The only thing I really did miss was the washer/dryer in the cabin. They had laundry rooms at the comfort stations within the campground, but I love it in room with DVC.

On other trips we have stayed at AKL for a few days BEFORE our DVC visit b/c we all just love the AKL. We're excited now we won't have to stay in one AKL room anymore but can book a villa!! :) Anyway I think it is always better to do the regular hotel room BEFORE a villa stay that way it does not feel like you are stepping down!!! :)

I always used to travel and stay in hotel rooms. I critiqued the lot of them too (Hampton Inns, Fairfield Inns, Courtyards, Best Westerns, etc.) I used to think a luxury room had a desk and a table with chair, perhaps a sofa with a minifridge.

Then I walked into my first Marriott 2 bedroom villa. The laundry room was bigger than my one at home! It certainly ruins you.

Now I equate hotel stays with roughing it on the road. I always stay a couple nights in hotels when I drive from Maryland down to Florida. I have several favorites along the way. But they are strictly places to sleep or use the bathroom.

My rule is if I'm staying more than 3 days, I really need a villa. Going from a Marriott 2 bedroom to DVC 1 bedroom feels like a step down, but the points and week system make that obligatory for us. I'm not sure how I'd handle a studio stay.

I'm the exception.

I'm completed spoiled by extra room of a one or two bedroom when traveling with kids....but the further we get into DVC membership the more I become convinced that I'll sell it when the kids leave home. I LIKE the regular hotel room. Doing laundry is convinent of vacation with kids, but I don't like doing it. I LIKE daily maidservice. I LIKE Deluxe resorts - DVC always feels a step down - a step down with more room, but a step down - except the bathroom - the bathroom is luxurious - but we don't use our jacuzzi tub at home, I don't use it on vacation either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter