Is it hard to go back to a non DVC hotel after staying DVC??

I'm the exception.

I'm completed spoiled by extra room of a one or two bedroom when traveling with kids....but the further we get into DVC membership the more I become convinced that I'll sell it when the kids leave home. I LIKE the regular hotel room. Doing laundry is convinent of vacation with kids, but I don't like doing it. I LIKE daily maidservice. I LIKE Deluxe resorts - DVC always feels a step down - a step down with more room, but a step down - except the bathroom - the bathroom is luxurious - but we don't use our jacuzzi tub at home, I don't use it on vacation either.

Maybe not the only exception...

We have a small (50 point contract) through resale. We typically stay four or five nights in a studio per year. We usually spend 10 -14 nights per year at WDW.

We really like DVC and may eventually add on another 50 points, but we like staying at the other resorts as well and with AP, AAA, and other discounts, trading DVC points to stay there doesn't make sense.

We like the cabins at Fort Wilderness if we want a separate bedroom and full kitchen (and daily maid service included!). If we fly down for a commando weekend the washer and dryer in the room are meaningless. There are certain things that we like about the value resorts as well like the food court and bus stop.

After our next trip, we will have stayed at all the on site resorts except the three monorail resorts. I would stay at any of them again.

After staying in "single" rooms in old european hotels, you have a new appreciation for room size!

Yes, it has become more difficult to stay anywhere else, including other Disney resorts. I guess we have become DVC:snooty:

But, if it means the only way we can go to WDW is staying at other resorts, we will do it!!

Have any of you ever tent camped for a week? Hello?! These posts all sound so funny - like a moderate hotel room is gonna HURT you! When I was really young we went tent camping / fishing for most of our vacations - and before there were even bath houses - we're talking good old fashioned outhouses & swimming was in the river... THAT was roughing it people!!

We haven't stayed in a DVC yet - will do our first trip this summer in a studio - so won't have much to miss (no kitchen or laundry). But the only time I will do laundry or cook on vacation is if I'm at the beach & need fresh towels. That's what vacation is for ME - no cooking & no laundry!!

We stayed in a deluxe (AKL) one yr. then a moderate the next (Coronado) and yes, there was a difference - mainly with the bathroom & the bed size (queen VS double). Did we miss the deluxe? Of course. Did it HURT? No. We lived to tell about it! We definitely liked the deluxe better and that's one reason we bought DVC - but I really don't want to sound snobish about that.

We went to Hawaii last summer & island hopped between 3 islands - in order to do 3 islands we had to make some sacrifices - so we cut WAY back on our hotel class for 3 n. on the Big Island in order to: 1) save our money for our nites on Maui; 2) to stay close to great off-shore snorkeling and 3) to afford a full island helicopter tour. Did I love the hotel? NO. But it served its purpose and we survived and we moved on to Maui & had a great 4 nites there which made up for "roughing it"!

I think there will be things you miss about your DVC accomodations - but seriously, between the parks & the pool, how much time do you really spend in your room? I have faith that you will survive and you will live to write more posts!!! The impt. thing is that you will be at WDW & will be spending your vac. where you want to be and keep in mind that you can go back to your DVC the NEXT time!! :thumbsup2

My mom thought I was nuts when I bought DVC in 1999. We started staying in DVC 1 bedrooms in 2000, twice a year. In 2003, we did a last minute trip around Halloween and stayed at CBR. She said "I don't like this, I like having all the rooms". So yes, you will be spoiled, especially if you stay in a 1 bedroom or larger.

Nope. If we don't have the points, we don't go. We do sometimes pay cash on the weekends to save points without moving, but we wouldn't go if the points weren't there. We borrow every year also, so there's never points sitting around waiting to be banked.

We haven't stayed in a DVC yet - will do our first trip this summer in a studio - so won't have much to miss (no kitchen or laundry).

Maybe you'll feel differently after your first stay at DVC. :)

I think there will be things you miss about your DVC accomodations - but seriously, between the parks & the pool, how much time do you really spend in your room?

We spend lots of time in our room and at the resort. We have been to WDW so many times, we don't spend as much time in the parks anymore. Plus, in the summer it's a way to escape the heat and humidity. :goodvibes

We have beome DVC spoiled.

We stay at some 5 stars when travleing (priceline, codes, etc help us do this) and we keep saying to each other " DVC has a much bigger room, DVC has nicer so and so".

We thought we was the only one.

I'd say that it might be hard unless you absolutely love the maid service and don't need a washer/dryer or kitchen during your stay. Not to mention the space depending on what DVC "home" you are used to and what Disney resort level (Value, Moderate, Deluxe, etc) you will be staying at. Good luck with making your decision!

Without DVC, there's no way we could afford hotel two room suites for almost two weeks every vacation, especially a Disney Resort Hotel. The kitchen and laundry rooms are just gravy!

Have any of you ever tent camped for a week? Hello?! These posts all sound so funny - like a moderate hotel room is gonna HURT you! When I was really young we went tent camping / fishing for most of our vacations - and before there were even bath houses - we're talking good old fashioned outhouses & swimming was in the river... THAT was roughing it people!!

We haven't stayed in a DVC yet - will do our first trip this summer in a studio - so won't have much to miss (no kitchen or laundry). But the only time I will do laundry or cook on vacation is if I'm at the beach & need fresh towels. That's what vacation is for ME - no cooking & no laundry!!

We stayed in a deluxe (AKL) one yr. then a moderate the next (Coronado) and yes, there was a difference - mainly with the bathroom & the bed size (queen VS double). Did we miss the deluxe? Of course. Did it HURT? No. We lived to tell about it! We definitely liked the deluxe better and that's one reason we bought DVC - but I really don't want to sound snobish about that.

We went to Hawaii last summer & island hopped between 3 islands - in order to do 3 islands we had to make some sacrifices - so we cut WAY back on our hotel class for 3 n. on the Big Island in order to: 1) save our money for our nites on Maui; 2) to stay close to great off-shore snorkeling and 3) to afford a full island helicopter tour. Did I love the hotel? NO. But it served its purpose and we survived and we moved on to Maui & had a great 4 nites there which made up for "roughing it"!

I think there will be things you miss about your DVC accomodations - but seriously, between the parks & the pool, how much time do you really spend in your room? I have faith that you will survive and you will live to write more posts!!! The impt. thing is that you will be at WDW & will be spending your vac. where you want to be and keep in mind that you can go back to your DVC the NEXT time!! :thumbsup2

I agree that you may feel differently after staying in a DVC room. You can't really say until you have. And you are right it isn't going to hurt anyone but that doesn't mean that it will be enjoyed "as much", there is a big difference. Also, alot of people that have been DVC members for a while do spend a lot of time at their rooms. We enjoy the spaciousness & atmosphere and just relaxing in our rooms.

Now Dina, I just wanted to say that we have actually stayed at CSR when we did have points to use. CSR was our first onsite resort and holds a special place in our hearts. We like to go back and visit. Even if we aren't staying there we will go over to eat at the Pepper Market, it is the best counter service on property, IMHO!:beach: (DD wanted me to add that smilie!)

But if you would rather stay at a DVC resort you could either pay cash for it with a possible member discount or do a transaction with another member and have points transferred into your account. That way they don't have control over your reservation, you do.

I would go ahead and stick with what you have. I think you will have a great time.

Only from the space standdpoint. Quite frankly I miss hotels since we've joined DVC. Likely why I stay at the hotel type DVC's more...... well hard to leave my OKW, though.:lmao:

Sure, because I ran out of points (I gave my brother a bunch of points for a family vacation so I can't use them. They need a 2 bedroom because they have 3 kids).

Just stayed at AKL last month and I have 3 short Pop Century stays in April and August. Everything else will be at DVC. I stay in studios exclusively, so it isn't that big a leap back to the hotels.

Thanks everyone!!! I'm very excited about our trip,there are a few DVC resorts that I've always wanted to try (CSR being one of them) I was just wondering if there was anyone else who sometimes ran out of points, but still needed to get to Disney (we love it there so much)!! I'm actually really excited about Coronado Springs-- the only thing I know I'm really going to miss is the 12 cup coffeemaker and the laundry in the room (with the kids, it was so nice to have) and the balcony! But, I'm still really excited. Thanks! It's fun to read what others do when they run out of points (still find ways to go to Disney, or don't go). We're all booked, we got our AAA discount (hoping for the AP), and used our Visa Reward points for the deposit, and I just had them put alot of points toward the balance. Love that Disney Visa!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter