Is it time to buy?

Leahc117

Mouseketeer
Hello!!
I've been wanting to buy DVC for 8-9 mo now. Covid put things on pause but now I am looking again. I had convinced myself I needed to buy at copper creek originally. After looking again my thought it to buy more points at a lower price elsewhere. We are a family of 5 and would prefer 1 bedroom over studio. I know availability can be difficult. If I buy cheaper points at OKW, SS, or AKL how difficult is availability of a 1 br at 7 mo out? I love AKL so that would be a good bet but cheaper contracts are available at SS with very low dues. If we buy DVC I would love to try out a few different resorts including Vero and Aulani someday. Will I be able to book at beach club, poly, or wilderness lodge (either) with 1 BR at 7 mo window? We prefer to vacation jan-mar, but can be flexible. I am however, unsure that Saratoga is a resort that I would love - but can I get by without actually planning to stay there? Or for a safer bet get AKL or OKW? Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks!!

1 BEs tend to have the easiest availability. It’s going to depend on the time of year you want to go and how flexible you are about willing to split stay.

If your only points are at SSR/OKW/AKV, be sure you want to stay there. They tend to be open at the seven month window more often than many other places and they’re large and dedicated. This means you may default back to one of those resorts anyway. BCV and BWV are difficult no matter what which is why their point values are so high, even on the resale market.

Hello!!
I've been wanting to buy DVC for 8-9 mo now. Covid put things on pause but now I am looking again. I had convinced myself I needed to buy at copper creek originally. After looking again my thought it to buy more points at a lower price elsewhere. We are a family of 5 and would prefer 1 bedroom over studio. I know availability can be difficult. If I buy cheaper points at OKW, SS, or AKL how difficult is availability of a 1 br at 7 mo out? I love AKL so that would be a good bet but cheaper contracts are available at SS with very low dues. If we buy DVC I would love to try out a few different resorts including Vero and Aulani someday. Will I be able to book at beach club, poly, or wilderness lodge (either) with 1 BR at 7 mo window? We prefer to vacation jan-mar, but can be flexible. I am however, unsure that Saratoga is a resort that I would love - but can I get by without actually planning to stay there? Or for a safer bet get AKL or OKW? Do any of you have suggestions? Thanks!!
Rule #1: Buy where you don’t mind staying. If you’re going to feel like you got “stuck” staying at SSR, then don’t buy there.

Keeping that in mind, you should focus on home resorts that have 5 sleep surfaces in their 1BR villas. BWV, BCV, BRV, CCV and SSR do not.

As far as 7-month availability is concerned, you have 2 factors going in your favor. First, Jan.-Mar is not ultra busy for DVC. However, winter holidays, race weekends and sometimes Easter can create pockets of high demand in the calendar. If those are your intended travel times, booking your home resort at 11 months and then attempt to switch at 7 months is recommended.

The other factor going in your favor is that 1BR villas tend to remain available longer than studios and 2BR villas.

Personally, I would only purchase OKW if it were an extended contract. And even then, I would have to think long and hard about what will happen when only part of the resort is “owned” by members when 2042 rolls around.

AKV has higher dues but a longer contract life. But again, I would only purchase there if I was okay with staying there most of the time.

My choice would be BLT. It’s a nice balance of contract life, $/pt and annual dues. The 1BR villas sleep 5 and have a second bathroom. It’s a resort that I wouldn’t mind getting “stuck” staying at.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, 1BRs have the best availability at 7 months. To get a sense, check out the availability charts:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
I’m a strong advocate of buy where you want to stay; that way if you get “stuck” you’ll still be happy. If you love AKL, buy there. Unless you’re traveling over holidays or fall frenzy, you should have good luck in being able to switch to 1 BRs at any of the resorts, including Vero and Aulani.

We bought CCV last year with 1BRs in mind. It got very hard at certain times of the year to book at 7 months, but SSR often had something. Soon after, we doubled our points with an SSR contract in the same use year. But we love the treehouses, and the pool and splash pad at SSR, and the proximity to Disney Springs... so...
Frankly, I’m thrilled to stay anywhere on property so SSR points are great for me.

Thank you Carol, I think my family would like those things about SSR too - we just have never stayed there. I assume we would enjoy staying at any DVC and hope to try them all!

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like the point hungry 1-BR (BLT Lake/Theme, VGF, and BCV) tend to have availability at the 7 month window. My theory is not many DVC’ers have 300+ points and if they do they tend to use 2-BR.

I think once SSR is fully renovated, they will sleep 5 in the 1 bedrooms.
You’re correct that when all renovations are complete there will be a pull-down Murphy bed instead of a sleeper sofa and a small, bunk-size bed in the living room. But until all renovations are completed, you are not guaranteed to get one. I would hope that a room assigner would see a party of five and make the effort but sometimes you just gets what’s you gets.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems like the point hungry 1-BR (BLT Lake/Theme, VGF, and BCV) tend to have availability at the 7 month window. My theory is not many DVC’ers have 300+ points and if they do they tend to use 2-BR.
If you own 150 points, you can bank them into the following year and book that point-hungry 1BR at VGF if you have a strong desire to stay there. Or, once the borrowing restrictions are lifted, you can even bank + borrow with a 100-point contract. The idea is that SAPs can be used in that manner without a lot of $ invested. I think SAPs are a great idea for someone who already has points at a home resort that they like. I’m not sold on the idea of getting them for your first contract.

You’re correct that when all renovations are complete there will be a pull-down Murphy bed instead of a sleeper sofa and a small, bunk-size bed in the living room. But until all renovations are completed, you are not guaranteed to get one. I would hope that a room assigner would see a party of five and make the effort but sometimes you just gets what’s you gets.
If they finish the preferred rooms soon (fingers crossed) you will be able to guarantee yourself a renovated room by booking that category. But otherwise yes.

I’d read up on SSR as much as you can. A lot of the reviews are absolutely glowing, especially post renovation. For example this thread on the resorts board from this week.

1 in 4 WDW DVC points are at SSR - by FAR the largest - and in general there’s more points than lovers. But if you like the place at all you’d be crazy to buy elsewhere, especially if you think you’ll always travel Jan-Mar, when it’s reasonably easy to switch to another resort at 7Mo for a 1BR.

I’m a strong advocate of buy where you want to stay; that way if you get “stuck” you’ll still be happy. If you love AKL, buy there.
concur.
extra bed at SSR is very small, good for someone under 12 or very small older child. AKV chair-bed is a decent size. My Mom slept on it fine. AKV Kidani 1 BR also has 2 Bathrooms.
If you buy at OKW, make sure to get extended contract.

Last edited:
If you own 150 points, you can bank them into the following year and book that point-hungry 1BR at VGF if you have a strong desire to stay there. Or, once the borrowing restrictions are lifted, you can even bank + borrow with a 100-point contract. The idea is that SAPs can be used in that manner without a lot of $ invested. I think SAPs are a great idea for someone who already has points at a home resort that they like. I’m not sold on the idea of getting them for your first contract.
True. Although if you’re diligent about booking on 7 months to the day I’ve heard 1-BRs are fairly available (especially between June and August).

True that ssr only sleeps 4 In a 1Br but will accommodate 5. This means you can stay 5 but you need to bring you own sleeper for the 5th.
The 5th sleeper in the renovated 1 bed folds out from the TV unit. Exactly the same as Boardwalk / poly studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter