Is it worth it?

mkandk

Mouseketeer
OK, I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I've been looking at a Disney cruise for at least a year now...we're planning on going on the 3 day land/4 day cruise for Spring Break next year, but I'm getting cold feet about signing up for it.

When you figure that it's close to a $1000 PER DAY for the four of us, I keep thinking--that's a lot of money! (I'm figuring in airfare and incidentals, and plan on getting a verandah).

SO??

I had the same trepidation in April of this year - we had booked a 7 day Western Caribbean for our family of 4.

Myself, DW, DS - 15 and DD - 13.

Wow! with cruise, air, hotel before & after, meals when not on board, gifts, etc - I said this is going to cost over $10,000.00

I thought of cancelling, but was over-ruled by my DW.

I gotta tell ya! SHE WAS RIGHT! The best part of this was the fact that our teenagers liked being some place with the parents. They bother claimed this was the best time the could ever remember having in "thier entire lives". It was such a good time that before we left the ship we booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean for April 2004!

Go for it and have fun - ya only live once and anyway - what else are you going to do with the money?

Go for it, you don't say if you have cruised before. I am a great believer in a cruise vacation, especially with a verandah. Yes it is alot of money....did you try to book the cruise and stay at WDW separately...you might be able to save a little money...also book airfare separately.
My thoughts are you will have the time of your life if you go thru with this trip....good luck !!!!!

We did the land/sea last month and I've got to say it's worth every penny. We have DCL take care of everything from our travel arrangements (never carried our luggage until the end of the trip), staying at CBR in WDW and amazingly did all 4 parks, to having a time of our lives at the ship – DSs 11 and 6 loved the Oceaneers Club/Lab. Also, go for the verandah.

Absolutely without a doubt the best vacation we have ever had. I have a dh who presents me with a monthly budget, cross referenced to the past year, and makes me account for any changes. He had such a wonderful time when we did the land/sea package that what was supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience, is hopefully (with the proper alignment of stars and fate) going to happen again in 2004. When planning for this upcoming trip, and this will not be the case for everyone, the land/sea package worked to be a good deal.
I can't say enough positive about the whole trip!

The way we make it work is we just don't go out all year, seriously-no dinners, no movies etc. I have friends that easilly spend $100.00 a week on entertainment. That $5200.00 is a cat. 6 with airfare rental car excursions etc. Well worth the sacrifices at home for that magical week!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do it!!!!!! When we took our first land and sea vacation with WDW it seemed like waaayyyyy too much. As a matter of fact my mother in law whom was a TA at the time said it ws too much....Who listens to their mother in law anyways? Our only regret was that we weren't on the ship longer. We booked the 7 day Eastern imediately.(which was cancelled Nov 2002) We ended up on the Wonder Dec. 1, 2002 and once again way too short. I rebooked for the Nov. 29 Eastern 2003 and said that is it!!! No more!!!! It's too expensive!!!! Well out comes the 10 day Christmas cruise..................Here is how you justify the dollar amount............Don't use the number of days you will be at WDW and cruising, use the price of the cruise (9200.00 for my Christmas cruise with verandah) divided by the days left 'till you sail (I think mine was 496 days) That is only 18 dollars and 55 cents per day from now 'till then.........Sounds cheap doesn't it??? LOL Is it half empty or half full????

It is alot of money but by far the best vacation we have EVER had! Even our family physician comments on what a great thing we have done for our children by taking them on such a great trip!

Enjoy your trip! We sure did.

Yeah...Disney definitely charges a ton o'dough.

Save yourself some and book the four day separately. Then go and get yourselves into the Swan/Dolphin - it's all Disney, except the price. You can still get your DCL transfers and first class accomodations.

I bet if you price it out, you'll save several hundred dollars. There's your bar/spa/excursion money right there...

The way we made our final decision was to figure out the approximate total price for a comparable non-DCL vacation. We added up airfare, hotel, entertainment and all meal costs for several different locations (Mexico, Bahamas, Key West, etc.) When we added it all up, DCL was the best bargain for us. We were able to drive to Port Canaveral, however, so that made a big difference for us.

Another thing to consider is the level of quality you desire. Sure, you could spend less, but you'll be getting less. We looked at the cheaper cruises (RCCL, CCL), but I was wary of lower quality decor and tiny staterooms. It was important to me to be in classy surroundings. When we were docked next to the RCCL and CCL ships that we had considered, I knew we made the right choice. It all depends on what is important to you.

I hope your planning goes smoothly and you have a great vacation, no matter what you decide.

Compare what it would cost to go to WDW, then jump to The Bahamas, not even including the day at Castaway Cay. We first booked the Eastern Disney Cruise because I wanted to go to St John. After pricing the best possible deal I could get for a place to stay on St John, then adding in airfare, the cruise was much cheaper. Airfare alone to just about any Southern Island is very pricey. Even if we had traded in frequent flyer miles, it still would have cost a fortune since the major carriers fly to so few places there, then you have to book puddle jumpers to get to the island you might really want. If we had wanted the Western, even with cheap Mexico flights from where we live, we would have to add on the price of an all-inclusive premium resort to compare with what you get on the ship, again tallies up more than the cruise (and the risk of kid's with Tourista besides). If you want a premium experience to interesting, multiple places, you cannot beat the dollar value with DCL. If it sounds like what you REALLY want to do, you won't be sorry.

Carla

I don't know if this helps or not -

We don't take our cruise until November 1 so I don't have first-hand experience yet, but last weekend I watched the travel channel when they had the show about the Disney Cruise, then a show about RCCL on immediately afterward. I don't know about anyone else, but I could tell on TV that Disney just looked a lot classier and cleaner than RCCL. When I saw that show I knew I made the right choice of cruise lines.

BD my dear that $100.00 probably does not count a tip.. they probably spend with dinners/tips, movies, mini golf, renting movies, six flags and all that stuff we don't do on average way more than I the lowley preschool teacher even makes in a week!
Luckally I can be friends with without having to keep up with "the Jone's" otherwise I could never have my annual dream trip

We have had several friends go on the "other" cruise lines. Their pictures and tales of their experiences are good but it ain't as good as our Disney Cruise experiences. If it really does cost more it is worth it.

As for me and my household we will sail on the Disney Cruise Line.
:p :smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter