Is part of the fun of a WDW trip the planning?

planning is a favorite part of any trip for me, disney or otherwise. I just looove working out schedules and thinking of all the things im going to do, places im going to eat, and how to fit them all neatly into each day. Because im a weirdo :earboy2:

I love the planning...........but for my wife and I we always leave lots of gaps for swerves :)

Doug :goofy:

Many of us responding to this thread are planners. What some non-planners don't realize is that part of good planning is leaving lots of room for free time, rest, adjustments, and unforeseen circumstances. You can then both plan and be flexible in the moment. I find planning for WDW is fairly easy; it is just a matter of going over EMH days, crowd calendars, and deciding which park on which day. Then we plan the rest around the park days. I will completely alter the plans on a moments notice if we want to. A little wisdom has come with age, so I'm no longer tied to the schedule and trying to do everything.

Last edited:
...Does anyone else feel this way?
Love Disney, but imagine a Disney vacation where you did not need to plan and worry about crowds and reserving a place to dine a 1/2 year in advance. You could see it all and not worry about missing something because you didn't reserve something 180 days in advance, 90 days in advance or 30 days in advance. We find other vacation destinations more relaxing and rewarding for us.

OK, I'll be THAT person. No I don't consider it FUN. Hunching over a keyboard for hours sifting through resort options, trying to get my ADRs or FPs for the days and times that I want- that's not fun.

I agree - in part. I still like doing the planning the old fashion way.

I use to spend lots of time planning and re-planning trips to Walt Disney World using only my head. I could envision trips with the family and plot out the vacation. Countless hours of joy! This is one of my objections to the dreaded Fast Pass system and Advance Dining Reservations. I could even change those plans the morning before going to a park taking into consideration the vitality of my family, the weather, and just plain whims.

Now, one is limited to the game of luck by obtaining reservations for rides and meals months in advance while sitting at a computer. Gee, what fun. Planning limited to what the computer programmers have indicated maximum availability of reservations. Lots of folks posting on DIS boards exasperated by the inability to get those reservations.

Many of us responding to this thread are planners. What some non-planners don't realize is that part of good planning is leaving lots of room for free time, rest, adjustments, and unforeseen circumstances. You can then both plan and be flexible in the moment. I find planning for WDW is fairly easy; it is just a matter of going over EMH days, crowd calendars, and deciding which park on which day. Then we plan the rest around the park days. I will completely alter the plans on a moments notice if we want to. A little wisdom has come with age, so I'm no longer tied to the schedule and trying to do everything.

Yes, I read the posts that say "I hate planning my trips" Soooo, you don't plan for any trips? We are looking at going to Arches National Park next July and I'm already checking things out, campgrounds, tours, restaurants, etc. You don't "plan" a trip to Yellowstone National Park 8 months in advance.. you aren't going to be staying in the park. Yes, I love planning out our trips no matter where they are!

I love WDW and enjoy talking about Disney with anyone that will listen, but I am not a WDW vacation planner any more (used to be). We now know the "world" well enough that we know that it is ever changing, so we follow boards like this to keep up. But we don't do ADRs or pre-book FP+. We have changed and now prefer to be as spontaneous as possible.

I'm a over planner, but I have to be, as my DHdepends on me to do all the research for family trips as he's a non planner. I do the research to avoid the common pitfalls that people who don't plan fall into. I personally found that planning a trip to WDW to be alot more stressful as I have to decide what park and attractions to book 2 months in advance when we are more of a go with the flow family. This is why I tend to go to DL on my solo trips so that I can be more spontaneous when I'm down there.

Yes. I am a planner so it is a lot of fun planning ahead and figuring out what we will be doing during our trip. Knowing that I will be eating at one of my favorite world showcase restaurant is always a treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter