• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is The 50th Celebration That Big of a Deal?

Another vote for don't bother. It is a lot of nothing. I agree with Off To Neverland that my memories will be a lot of extra charges for things that used to be free.

We were there in April and October last year. We've also been there during the 25th and 40th. MK was decorated much more from previous celebrations than it was for the 50th.
There was some 50th merch, but not even that much. If you are there during it, its nice, but I wouldn't plan a special trip just to see the 50th stuff. I think you'll be disappointed.

We specifically wanted to go during the 50th.

We found out there really was no reason.

If we had gone not knowing it was the 50th, except for a few signs we wouldn't have noticed.

The decorations in resorts and parks are pretty. There are some exclusive souvenirs, prices also exclusive as you'd anticipate for a special event.

On the whole, I don't think you'll miss anything significant if you don't go while it's still on.

But, that's just me. I'm not overly impressed by any but Christmas merch and decorations.
Is there really anything that big of a deal going on during the 50th that would be worth trying to go in March instead of May?

Is there really anything that big of a deal going on during the 50th that would be worth trying to go in March instead of May?
I haven't been to the 50th, but we went to the WDW 25th & all I remember about it was the Peptol Bismal castle. It was hideous. I didn't remember anything else they did. We booked another trip sooner than we usually did & we terribly disappointed that they had extended the celebration because it meant the castle was still that awful pink.

100 Years of Magic was the last "celebration" were Disney really pulled out all the stops, and it really meant something to me. Had hopes for the 50th, but likly COVID really put some pressure on Disney to cut back.

Of course now we have 100 Years of Wonder and whatever that will bring this year... but at this point yearly celebrations are a lot like Epcot's "seasonal" events... they just blend together making them less special than they once were - when isn't there an event at Epcot?

We went in May a couple of years ago and it was wall-to-wall people on certain weekdays. As I recall we left one park since it was nearly impossible to walk around and went to another park that wasn't as crowded. Disney seems crowded no matter when you go and that is part of what contributes to excessive wait times for rides.

I went last week to Magic Kingdom which still counts as the 50th anniversary event even though it was over a year ago now lol. The castle was beautiful! Other than that I didn’t notice anything super special or different about the park, other than the left-over Christmas decorations which was nice to see for the first time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter