Is there something as “too much” Disney?

Hahaha that’s my 2024 plan… Japan with all itinerary around the parks … obvious my family think i’m crazy allocating time to Disney instead of going around more… but.. I want to LOL

Oh, you won't regret that. The Tokyo parks are AMAZING!

Hahaha that’s my 2024 plan… Japan with all itinerary around the parks … obvious my family think i’m crazy allocating time to Disney instead of going around more… but.. I want to LOL
Same here actually (planning for May/June but will move to late August/September for Fantasy Springs opening). I also plan on going to Universal Studios Japan. My friends think I'm nuts for including theme parks at all LOL I do plan on doing sightseeing outside of the parks but wanted to include them.

lol we're planning a Japan trip next year (more than likely October) and def. adding in a few days for Disney, it won't be our main focus, touring Japan will be but my husband was def. on board with going and was very happy to know the pricing of the parks was a lot less than WDW

My sister-in-law and her boyfriend wanted to come to Japan (they wouldn't care about Disney) but go during skiing season...that got us going "you'd fly all the way to Japan just to go skiing?!" it's because they have the ICON pass and I guess there's a park there but yeah. That was a moment where we were like okay..but..we're not doing that so have fun!

I'm an adult Disney lover and I go as often as I can. The "sophisticated" people I know don't get it. To them, Disney is a place you're forced to take your kids to once and why the heck would I want to go more than never?

I've had friends and relatives sort of sneer at me and semi-confront me and grill me on why would I want to go to Disney? I cannot explain it to them and I don't ask them why they want to do things I'd never, ever do. I just assume they do it because it gives them pleasure.

That's why I go to Disney. It gives me pleasure. Period.

OP, if it continues to give you pleasure, do what you want to do and ignore everyone else.

As long as you can afford your Disney habit and are still a functioning member of society, then I see no issues with you spending your money and time on things that bring you joy! Everyone has a limit personal to their own tastes and circumestances where a level of Disney becomes too much. Life is too short to worry about what other people think about you and what brings you joy!

Maybe it's because I've been a geek my entire life (literally; I was 5 when I went to my first con, and my uncle dressed me up as Lt. Uhura), maybe it's because I'm queer, maybe because I'm an elder goth and used to being thought of as odd, but I've always been the type of person to do my own thing and quite literally don't give a fig what people think. Unless they're paying my bills or for my trips, their opinion on my hobbies + $2.75 one way is good for exactly one subway ride on the MTA and that's about it.

I'm almost 42, and my partner and I are actually childfree. More often than not I go solo because I get much more PTO than she does, but she loves Disney just as much as I do, even wanted to be an imagineer. We live within our means, we just choose to splurge on travel and Disney is our happy place. We do mix in other destinations, next year we intend to go to Europe since it's been a while, but that's just because we like to mix it up from time to time. I just think that ultimately life is way too short to let judgmental folk live rent free in your head. Nothing in life is promised to us, I would think even if you didn't internalize that before, the last 3 years have certainly taught us all that. My best advice is to surround yourself with supportive people. I don't get defensive because I don't have to justify my life to anyone, I'm not hurting myself or anyone else. My family used to always have something to say about my Disney vacations and now they just give me gift cards on every occasion. I'm easy to shop for.

Besides, when you are in the parks on your favorite attractions, strolling around World Showcase enjoying the live entertainment and festival food, watching the fireworks...do these people's opinions really matter? I know "Disney Adult" is a pejorative everywhere on socials these days but I wear it as a badge of honor, because to me it means that I don't take myself so freaking seriously, that I haven't lost my sense of whimsy or fun. And FWIW, my therapist agrees. When it stops being fun, and it stops being something I can do financially, I'll stop going.

Maybe it's because I've been a geek my entire life (literally; I was 5 when I went to my first con, and my uncle dressed me up as Lt. Uhura), maybe it's because I'm queer, maybe because I'm an elder goth and used to being thought of as odd, but I've always been the type of person to do my own thing and quite literally don't give a fig what people think. Unless they're paying my bills or for my trips, their opinion on my hobbies + $2.75 one way is good for exactly one subway ride on the MTA and that's about it.

I'm almost 42, and my partner and I are actually childfree. More often than not I go solo because I get much more PTO than she does, but she loves Disney just as much as I do, even wanted to be an imagineer. We live within our means, we just choose to splurge on travel and Disney is our happy place. We do mix in other destinations, next year we intend to go to Europe since it's been a while, but that's just because we like to mix it up from time to time. I just think that ultimately life is way too short to let judgmental folk live rent free in your head. Nothing in life is promised to us, I would think even if you didn't internalize that before, the last 3 years have certainly taught us all that. My best advice is to surround yourself with supportive people. I don't get defensive because I don't have to justify my life to anyone, I'm not hurting myself or anyone else. My family used to always have something to say about my Disney vacations and now they just give me gift cards on every occasion. I'm easy to shop for.

Besides, when you are in the parks on your favorite attractions, strolling around World Showcase enjoying the live entertainment and festival food, watching the fireworks...do these people's opinions really matter? I know "Disney Adult" is a pejorative everywhere on socials these days but I wear it as a badge of honor, because to me it means that I don't take myself so freaking seriously, that I haven't lost my sense of whimsy or fun. And FWIW, my therapist agrees. When it stops being fun, and it stops being something I can do financially, I'll stop going.
Amen!!!

OP, I feel the way the other posters stated. If you love going there, then go.
I like that you feel safe to wander around the parks or resorts while there.
There aren't too many places to vacation that you can say that about.
I go with my husband, but I would not hesitate to go alone.
So, go and have a ball:)

So…. In the recent months I have gotten comments from family and some eyebrows raised when I say that I’m going to Disney “again”… which makes me happy of course, but maybe I have to start thinking if is it truly too much?

Background:

I’m a women, 47yrs old, divorced, no kids, with a 7yrs old niece super spoiled (Disney fan, how is that possible? LOL). I live in Texas.

WDW AP, DL magic key, DVC member, Cruise Castaway club, D23, Disney+, recently joined the Club RunDisney (now I’m a “runner”, but Disney only hahaha), very soon Adventures by Disney as trip is reserved.

Obviously I have Disney merch in my house, not overboard though, things like pins, crafts, a painting or two, some Mickey ears shaped things in the kitchen, ahh some Holiday décor too.

Weekend clothes, omg, probably 80%-ish of the shirts are Disney related. I have the Disney music in my playlists; I can get emotional after the FotLK shows or fireworks;

During the pandemic I felt safe and like my “escape” place; went 2 or 3 times, and since I loved it so much, I have escalated a lot on the trips to Orlando/Anaheim/cruise, maybe Philly or Chicago to see the Disney100 exhibition. Therefore, it is like Disney related things is taking 90% of my travel & entertainment budget.

I just love seeing people in the parks, the happiness, bright eyes, the aesthetic, the characters interactions, the shows, all the small details that are daily taken care of, how it was created and dreamt by Walt/Ron, the “novelty”, the bubble feeling..

I look for Disney related commentary, obviously check the Disboards daily, my social media feed is mostly Disney related (better this than the news I guess), I recommend Disney vacations to every human that dare to ask hahaha, and can go on and on about how Disney related is present in my day to day; because honestly I haven’t had any other hobby before.

So now… I’m doing a checkpoint to myself… should I care what they think?

Maybe not, it is ok to be "a Disney adult fan"... but still, maybe they’re right and I should deescalate back.. ? and if so, mmm decisions decisions,.. I don’t want to feel the FOMO, I want to keep enjoying my “hobby”, obviously time/budget dedicated to T&E can’t increase – so doing this plus other things is not possible.

Have you felt like Disney takes too much of your life and went through a path of just do something else? Have you replaced with other “hobby”?

Ps. After reading this again… definitely is too much LOL.. and writing it to the Disboards is just an emergency sign that I want Disney fans to say “no, just keep going, enjoy Disney” hahahaha… OMG.. I’m in trouble will do something about it.. but in 2025 because 2023/2024 already have plans 😊

Thanks for reading, no need to confirm that I’ve become a “fan-addict” LOL, and just need to stop justifying it..!
If you like going, thats all that matters. My wife and I have been going since the mid 80’s. We have taken our kids, then our grand kids and now great grand kids. We go at least 4 to 5 times a year and never get tired of it. Since we go so much we don’t care if we miss something or decide to just relax for a day or two and not go crazy running around. There is always the next time. Guess we are lucky all our grown kids and grown grandkids love going and are just as excited their 100th time as they were the first. We love it and never get the “don’t you think you have gone enough times this year”.and even if we did (which we don’t) we would just say “no” maybe a few more times before the year ends.

Last edited:
LET PEOPLE LIKE WHAT THEY LIKE.

Full stop.

I know you said you don’t want validation and even though you’ve gotten plenty of it anyway I’m going to chime in with my 2 cents. I work in a metropolitan area at a company where the women my age/at my title carry Celine bags and wear Moschino sneakers. I walk in with my Minnie Mouse Kate Spade proudly and no one says a word. The fear of judgment was strong when I started but it’s amazing how excited people get when they notice Minnie on my bag and ask if I’m a Disney fan and I say “Oh yeah, we’re annual passholders.” Everyone has an inner child - we indulge ours and it brings us joy. The people who look at you sideways are miserable.

We enjoy traveling other places as well and have other hobbies but we’re unapologetic Disney Adults.

LET PEOPLE LIKE WHAT THEY LIKE.

Full stop.

I know you said you don’t want validation and even though you’ve gotten plenty of it anyway I’m going to chime in with my 2 cents. I work in a metropolitan area at a company where the women my age/at my title carry Celine bags and wear Moschino sneakers. I walk in with my Minnie Mouse Kate Spade proudly and no one says a word. The fear of judgment was strong when I started but it’s amazing how excited people get when they notice Minnie on my bag and ask if I’m a Disney fan and I say “Oh yeah, we’re annual passholders.” Everyone has an inner child - we indulge ours and it brings us joy. The people who look at you sideways are miserable.

We enjoy traveling other places as well and have other hobbies but we’re unapologetic Disney Adults.
My adult kids asked me one time if I thought it was a bit odd that I spent so much time obsessing about Disney Parks at an age when I am considered a senior citizen. I just simply asked, "would you rather I spent my free time in a bar? I think you ought to be grateful that this is what my addiction is!"

Never!!! If Disney makes you happy, then you should do it as much as you want. Theres nothing wrong with sticking to what you know and love.

I am equally invested in Disney and that has exploded over the last year into many different Disney products too. My family think I’m equally as nuts. But they don’t have to get it. You do. I’m not thinking about anyone else when I’m sitting there enjoying the finer perks of my membership…except that I wish they understood more so I could sprinkle a little magic. I came to terms with it’s their loss!

You do you…

If it makes you happy then I don't see an issue with it. A lot of people have their "thing" that they like. Sport teams, figurines, teapots, etc, etc.

So…. In the recent months I have gotten comments from family and some eyebrows raised when I say that I’m going to Disney “again”… which makes me happy of course, but maybe I have to start thinking if is it truly too much?

Background:

I’m a women, 47yrs old, divorced, no kids, with a 7yrs old niece super spoiled (Disney fan, how is that possible? LOL). I live in Texas.

WDW AP, DL magic key, DVC member, Cruise Castaway club, D23, Disney+, recently joined the Club RunDisney (now I’m a “runner”, but Disney only hahaha), very soon Adventures by Disney as trip is reserved.

Obviously I have Disney merch in my house, not overboard though, things like pins, crafts, a painting or two, some Mickey ears shaped things in the kitchen, ahh some Holiday décor too.

Weekend clothes, omg, probably 80%-ish of the shirts are Disney related. I have the Disney music in my playlists; I can get emotional after the FotLK shows or fireworks;

During the pandemic I felt safe and like my “escape” place; went 2 or 3 times, and since I loved it so much, I have escalated a lot on the trips to Orlando/Anaheim/cruise, maybe Philly or Chicago to see the Disney100 exhibition. Therefore, it is like Disney related things is taking 90% of my travel & entertainment budget.

I just love seeing people in the parks, the happiness, bright eyes, the aesthetic, the characters interactions, the shows, all the small details that are daily taken care of, how it was created and dreamt by Walt/Ron, the “novelty”, the bubble feeling..

I look for Disney related commentary, obviously check the Disboards daily, my social media feed is mostly Disney related (better this than the news I guess), I recommend Disney vacations to every human that dare to ask hahaha, and can go on and on about how Disney related is present in my day to day; because honestly I haven’t had any other hobby before.

Maybe not, it is ok to be "a Disney adult fan"... but still, maybe they’re right and I should deescalate back.. ? and if so, mmm decisions decisions,.. I don’t want to feel the FOMO, I want to keep enjoying my “hobby”, obviously time/budget dedicated to T&E can’t increase – so doing this plus other things is not possible.

Have you felt like Disney takes too much of your life and went through a path of just do something else? Have you replaced with other “hobby”?

Ps. After reading this again… definitely is too much LOL.. and writing it to the Disboards is just an emergency sign that I want Disney fans to say “no, just keep going, enjoy Disney” hahahaha… OMG.. I’m in trouble will do something about it.. but in 2025 because 2023/2024 already have plans 😊

Thanks for reading, no need to confirm that I’ve become a “fan-addict” LOL, and just need to stop justifying it..!
IN SHORT!!! Your title says it all. Yes it is too much.........................................................................

For the people that just :scratchinDON'T GET IT!:rotfl:
Don't feel ashamed or odd. It's quite natural to be obsessed with the Mouse. Isn't It?:jumping1:. TBH on these boards, most if not everyone is in the same boat as you....:grouphug:

I stopped caring about what other people think of my hobbies or spending a long time ago.

DW and I are 34, no children at the moment, and are both Disney fanatics. My obsession grew more recently as I had not been since I was 12, then went when we were 28 as our first trip together, and it was just most relaxing and magical place, where all my stress just disappears. Since then we have stayed on property 10 times, joined DVC, and are theming each room of our house to a different Disney movie. So, I would agree if it makes you happy and is not negatively affecting any other part of your life you shouldn't feel guilty at all.

Not sure if it is really just about others think… maybe some guilt on expending so much in Disney, maybe some “comfort zone” on going to a place I know and feel safe/energized instead of risking to go new places again, and many other thoughts..

Don’t know.. anyhow thanks for reading and for the comments!
DH and I were just talking about how we no longer feel excitement about going to new places—just anxiety about the details. I’m at an age where I don’t care what others think I should be doing. You do you. If Disney is your happy place, be happy.

Background:

People who aren't Disney lovers always are surpirsed we are going again. They don't get the magic and enjoyment. Ignore them and enjoy each trip.

We bought into DVC a few short months after returning from our first WDW trip back in 1997 before we even had kids. Our DD will be 24 (!) this year. We used to get an AP and use 20-30 days on it over 2-4 trips. We used to get those comments too about going to Disney so much. If you look in my signature, you'll see that we've been everywhere except Shanghai.

We are now down to only 1 trip per year. I had started to think that Disney wasn't that into AP/DVC folks for a while. The huge price increases, Genie+ and the discontinuation of APs sealed the deal for me. I can go other places and see other things for the same amount of money ... or LESS.

We have started cruising instead and I leave for my 2nd cruise in a year in 3 weeks. We cruised through Alaska in August on Princess last year for about $4,500 all-in for airfare, hotels on either end, the cruise which included all food and alcohol on board and all of our excursions. That was for 11 days: 1 day in Anchorage, a 7 night cruise, and 3 days in Seattle. An 11-day vacation at WDW with a 10-day PH in mid-August would be about $3,500 for 2 people at the All-Stars and that doesn't include food or transportation. CBR is about $5,400. We average about $150 per day for our food budget at WDW and that includes a grocery stop and mostly Quick Service meals. So yeah, Disney is much more expensive.

Disney still holds a place in our hearts, but we are ready to see the rest of the world a little more while we can. My DH has been telling me for a while that when we're too old and disabled to visit other places, Disney will still be there and we can both rent scooters to get us around.

BTW, I would strongly suggest a trip to Kyoto if you're going to Japan. Disneyland is really awesome and my DH's favorite park is Disney Sea ... but the area around Disneyland itself is pretty boring. Hop on a bullet train and see the rest of the county for at least a couple of days. Kyoto is a charming city full of temples and history and it's only a 2 hour bullet train ride away from Tokyo. It was the only place I actually saw women wearing kimonos on the street which was really cool!

I worked with a woman for 10 years who constantly asked every time why I went to the same place every year, which of course was WDW. It amazed me because every March, without fail, she heading to Aruba. I occasionally said, you know at least WDW has changes, but Aruba is mostly drinking, sand and water. I guess when the tide goes out there is more beach. It is amazing how unable so many of us are to recognize our own habits and can be critical of others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter