Is This Rumor True??

cdpa4d

DIS Veteran
I've seen on another website that the Tennis Center at the Contemporary is closing for good to make way for a new DVC resort. According to the site this is still a rumor, but the sources are good enough to give it some merit. Has anyone heard anything else about this rumor???

I would think a DVC resort at the Contemporary would be very popular considering its proximaty to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail.

Search these boards and you'll find thousands of references to DVC at the Contemporary. And also to DVC at Disneyland, Animal Kingdom Lodge, etc... Some of it I'm sure is folks trying to send positive vibes to the management!

An old saying I first came upon in the army

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see."

I think the part about the tennis center moving is true. The part about the DVC at the CR is still speculation. But I have a feeling it is going to happen. It just makes sense. Time will tell.

but it won't be in the tower part where the monorail goes through would it? ...therefore you really wouldn't be able to view the MK and the fireworks either right?

The tennis courts used to be the main Tennis Facility for Disney. Apparently, they have been trying to privatize the facility to allow a 3rd party group to manage the courts. Due to the proximity of the courts to the MK the terrorist insurance allow does not make it feasible to run the courts. If you face the Contemporary the courts are to the left of the hotel next to the wing (very close to the monorail) I am a tennis player and the courts themselves are wonderful. There are several courts at the GF and I believe these are going to become the main facility.

I agree that this area would be perfect for a DVC resort very much like the Villas at WL .

PBB

This rumor I find to be much more credible than the earlier rumors about converting the North Wing. However, I wonder if the proximity to the MK might make insurance on a new resort prohibitive, also.

When I read the new rumor about the tennis center, it was my thinking that the tennis center would be removed AND the north wings would be remodeled/torn down to make even MORE room for the new DVC.

I spoke with a DVC rep over Labor Day and she confirmed there is a new resort in the works. Although there are no details of where or theme. She said they've been told it will rival Saratoga for number of villas. Saratoga will have 882 when all completed.

If they were to put a DVC onto the current footprint of the tennis centre, then it would be smaller then the VWL. Now I guess they could always expand northwards along the bank of Bay Lake. But the resort would still be not much bigger then VWL and the rooms would be a significant distance from the tower. (got this info from satellite images on Google)

A couple of other possibilities (assuming CRV comes to pass):

1) DVC will replace the North Wing and they would use the tennis court space to expand the footprint. If they did this, and assuming the resort is 4-5 stories, then the resort could be quite large.

2) As in #1, but the tennis court space would be the location of the new pool facilities. I have heard nothing in any rumors suggesting that a pool would be built, but it would be a nice feature.

3) A combination of #1 & #2 above.

Wish - A sticky at the top of the bords on this very topic. At the moment these rumors are coming up constantly. A sticky that those new to the boards can easily get the answer to their questions. Also, a place to add all new developments and info. :wizard:

The tennis courts are directly North of the North wing. Farther to the monorail and at least using the current route a little farther to walk to the MK I think.

I looked at aerial views at terraserve and thought the same thing you did, Stitch. The footprint would be small and it would be a hike to the tower for restaurants and transportation.

Another pool makes sense to me just as pools were added for VWL and BCV. If the North wing isn't converted, more parking would be needed as well.

If it's Eagle Pines or another big development, it will be that much harder to get into the "smaller" resorts inside the 7 month window.

Maybe it will be both...or all four. :cool1:

I have only been a DVC member for a year and I love all these rumours. Imagine how big DVC will grow in the next 48 years and all the different options. I still hope for a DVC in Disneyland Paris for us flightchallenged uk DVCers!!!!

DH would probably love Eagle Pines if he could get massive golf discount!!!

Susan

BCV23 said:
Another pool makes sense to me just as pools were added for VWL and BCV. If the North wing isn't converted, more parking would be needed as well.

It may be nice to have the quiet pool on top of the CRV. Watching MK or Wishes from the top would be pretty relaxing. Did someone once say the pool was on top of one of the DL hotels?

any "rumors" as to when they would start selling a new resort??? Did they start selling Saratoga before it was even opened?

fl has some restrict rules and DVC follows them exactly.

I really think the powers that be have not decided which option they will start with - I really hope it isn't Eagle Pines. I know I am not a golfer - but hey both OKW and SSR are for golfers.

I really want Cont or AKL.

well I really want the Polyn - but that is not happening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter