ISO settings

I just pulled up the manual. It is not an auto mode. It just sets how you adjust it. With easy mode on, you use a dial to change it. With easy off, you have to press the EC button while rotating the dial. The easy part is that you do not have to hold the button in. I honestly do not think it is possible to have an auto EC. It actually goes against what EC is. If the camera could always pick the right exposure, there would be no need for EC. Sorry to disappoint you :guilty:

The ever popular "Understanding Exposure" has a good section on EC.

:laughing:Okay I guess I was way off the mark on that one! Thanks UK! I do have Understanding Exposure and I've read it like 3 times. I guess it's not sinking in.:confused3 I will bust out the section on EC now to hopefully get it to sink in...Thanks!

The pop up is just not big enough to get above the 18-200. The SB400 is a nice small flash that will. It's what I plan to use when we go.

I have a couple of questions.
don't we all
Have any of you ever used Auto Exposure Compensation or Auto ISO? I was thinking that trying AEC may help me to get a better understanding about EC and when to use what setting.
when setting up a race car. you make one change and see what the results are. I don't like the changing auto ISO. you are chasing what is changing and it makes it real hard to figure out. pick the lowest ISO for the light. limit the variables in learning to get a good shot.

And Auto ISO, I thought would just make it easier so I don't have to fumble with it. I used Auto ISO on my last DL trip and it helped me a lot. However, there were times I felt it over compensated like during bright afternoons, sometimes it would show up as 3200 ISO and the photo would still be not quite right even though in Program mode the Aperture and Shutter speeds auto adjust as well...Ha! Maybe I was using too much auto!
I like to shoot in Aperture priority, with a manual ISO setting (on my Cannon rebel XT) I control the depth of field (with the aperture) depending on the scene I am shooting. and I let the camera do the auto exposure. (I wish the XT had spot metering) then watch the histogram in review to see if you are loosing dark or overexposing bright areas. the histogram is a bar graph showing the spectrum of light values captured in the picture from dark to light. if the bar goes all the way to the top then it is too bright. if there is no bar... it is too dark. adjustments are needed. at that point decide if you want to change the exposure value a little or change the ISO.

in my rebel, it has a setting for reviews, if areas of the pic are overexposed and blown out it will blink in that area of the review pic.

shoot in the lowest ISO that will provide a shutter speed to stop whatever action might be in the scene.

Basically in Program mode, Auto ISO would be maxed because the shutter and aperture would start stopping down to compensate for bright sunny conditions. (Or vice versa; not sure which came first the P mode stopping down or the maxed ISO.) Anyway, that's what I think happened.

Hmmmm, can you post a sample photo? I have shot very bright landscapes at ISO 100. it would be easier to diagnose with a sample and the camera/exif info for the shot.

Any ideas about why or how or what I should do in similar conditions? I take a lot of landscape type shots, and on bright days the photos tend to look washed out or too dark (silhouette). I have an SB800 flash that I don't normally take to DL because it's heavy. And for lansdcape shots, it won't really work anyway, right? You have to be within x amount of feet to see results. I tried using a polarizer on this trip and some photos came out decent.
again, use the histogram when shooting and then make adjustments. I used auto mode alot when first starting out. I would shoot in auto then look at what setting the camera thought was best. then try a few different variations and see what happens. and try to see why it was better or worse.

the camera averages the whole scene which is not always best.

Some I noticed the program mode settings trying to compensate and ISO would boost to overcome the filter. So any ideas for what I'm doing wrong? Should I use Auto EC to get a better understanding of when to do what with it? Should I use Auto ISO? Any tips, ideas are welcome!
Also, skies: they never come out as blue as I see them with my eyes. In the photos they always look washed out or greyish unless I have my polarizer filter on it. What's causing this?

current (affordable) camera technology can only capture a fraction of what the human eye can. often when most of the scene is exposed properly the sky is too bright, it is always a compromise.

Thanks!

Mikeeee

Mike, My D80 used to have the blinking histogram to show blown out areas. My D90 doesn't blink. It just shows the photo and the histogram. If it's too far to the right then I know it's too bright, too much to the left too dark. That's it AFAIK. I haven't been able to get it to blink to show me the blown out areas like my D80 used to. They changed the whole thing so I don't know; I could be wrong, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to blink.

Here's one taken at 7:12pm. It was still bright out, but the sun was setting and the sky is blown. I was facing towards the west, i.e. into the sun. I shot in P mode w/ Auto ISO, so I'm guessing the Auto ISO caused the sky to be more blown out. I wonder why the AISO would tell the camera to up the ISO when it was bright out? :confused3 Isn't Auto supposed to be smarter than the shooter if you're still learning? If I shot in Auto mode, the AISO thing just kicks in anyway, so I thought by shooting in P mode I would be able to one up the camera. Ha! Guess not...
This shot was:
Program mode
1/640
f/6.3
IS0 640
75mm
584522749_GUEsr-XL.jpg

Then here's one from my last trip on Auto ISO where the camera stopped down but boosted the ISO to 3200. Taken at 2:29pm
1/500
f/11
30mm
3200ISO
Obviously, I shouldn't be using AISO for anything but low light shots.
475781747_iEb4t-XL.jpg

And here's one from my last trip in which the sky was blown in some parts. Shot in Aperture Priority, but when I tried to stop it down, the shutter was too slow to freeze the movement of the canoe paddlers. Shot as is, the sky is blown. :headache:aaarrggg...
1/80
f/5.6
ISO 200 (D90 default)
20mm
473961423_PXc4o-XL.jpg

Thanks!
DSF

I think I may need to get a Neutral Density Filter maybe for the sky...

I think it has to do with where you are metering or the mode you are using. To me, all the trees and shadows in your shots are over exposed. For it to do that, it blew out the sky. You might try spot metering.

For shot specifics, here is what I would have done differently.

1. smaller aperture for more DOF and a little lower ISO b/c it was not needed.

2. lower ISO and slower shutter b/c you probably only needed about a 1/60-1/80 for a static subject at 30mm.

3. it must have been a lower light situation, so it called for a higher ISO than 200. The aperture should also have been stopped down a little for more DOF.

I think it has to do with where you are metering or the mode you are using. To me, all the trees and shadows in your shots are over exposed. For it to do that, it blew out the sky. You might try spot metering.

For shot specifics, here is what I would have done differently.

1. smaller aperture for more DOF and a little lower ISO b/c it was not needed.

2. lower ISO and slower shutter b/c you probably only needed about a 1/60-1/80 for a static subject at 30mm.

3. it must have been a lower light situation, so it called for a higher ISO than 200. The aperture should also have been stopped down a little for more DOF.

Thanks Ukcatfan.
I feel kind of stupid now because I just found some photos from my last trip. I had just gotten off of Haunted Mansion and forgot to readjust the EC. I had it at -4/6.
So at 12:32pm I took this shot (just a quick snapshot) and I thought it came out a heck of a lot better than the other ones. (Completely by accident of course.) :rolleyes1 So I just learned something valuable re: using negative EC when it's really bright. I'm certain I had the Auto ISO on as well as negative EC because like I said I had just gotten of HM and didn't change anything. (We were going to DCA because my son wanted soft serve ice cream that they sell there.) So for some reason, dialing in the negative EC, 'told' my camera to keep the ISO low. :confused3 But, whatever works, I guess...
Lesson learned? Double check the settings, don't use auto ISO in broad daylight, and don't be afraid to use/apply -EC to get better shots when the sun is shining brightly above. Any other suggestions for me?
Shutter priority.
1/60
f/25
ISO 200
22mm
-0.67 EC
ETA: Oh yeah, 1 more lesson learned - try using Spot Metering. So in a bright situation like the blown out sky, if in Spot meter mode, do I meter off of the lower light areas? Because won't that make the sky more blown out? :confused3
600704321_VutZT-XL.jpg

Mike, My D80 used to have the blinking histogram to show blown out areas. My D90 doesn't blink. It just shows the photo and the histogram...

I don't own the D90, but I seriously doubt that the highlight warning (blinking) was eliminated from this camera. You probably need to enable it in the camera menu.

Thanks Wenrob. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. How much does the SB400 weigh?

I think you're talking about shadow caused by the 18-200's lens hood...
I think I still get shadow from the 18-200 hood using an SB600 directly and the lens is at its widest focal length (18mm). I believe that the flash head on the SB600 is higher than that of the SB400. When that happens, just zoom in enough that the shadow is out of frame, and if you need a wider angle, "zoom out" with your feet (step back). Or, if you're indoors, bounce the flash instead of firing directly.

ETA: Oh yeah, 1 more lesson learned - try using Spot Metering. So in a bright situation like the blown out sky, if in Spot meter mode, do I meter off of the lower light areas? Because won't that make the sky more blown out? :confused3
600704321_VutZT-XL.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The camera always tried to balance an exposure. If you have really bright parts and really dark parts, it will try to make them balance. The reason you use spot metering is to meter on the dark parts to get detail. Or, you meter on the bright spots to shilouette the dark.

If you are shooting someone on the beach in the sun and you want their details, you would spot meter on them. If you blow out the rest, so be it if what you want is the person!

...So I just learned something valuable ... dialing in the negative EC, 'told' my camera to keep the ISO low...
Lesson learned? Double check the settings, don't use auto ISO in broad daylight, and don't be afraid to use/apply -EC to get better shots when the sun is shining brightly above. ETA: Oh yeah, 1 more lesson learned - try using Spot Metering. So in a bright situation like the blown out sky, if in Spot meter mode, do I meter off of the lower light areas? Because won't that make the sky more blown out? :confused3

You're on the right track, but I'd like to address a couple of points. Specifically, I want to talk about about why your idea "dont' use auto ISO in broad daylight" isn't really correct, and I want to correct you on why spot meting lower light areas would make the problem of blown out skies worse, not better (and why it doesn't matter).

As you figured out, the camera's built-in meter isn't perfect and, left to its own, it will often overexpose parts of the scene (like the sky). To avoid this, it's important to understand the camera's built-in meter and its different metering modes. The camera's meter thinks that correct exposure is when the scene is not pure white or pure black, but, rather, 18% grey. The three primary meter modes are spot, center-weighted, and matrix (evaluative). Spot metering samples a very small part of the frame (usually right in the center focusing spot) and the camera's meter tries to adjust whatever settings it can to expose that spot as 18% grey. Center-weighted metering looks at the entire frame, but gives most importance to the center part of the frame and tries to render the scene as an average of 18% grey. Matrix (evaluative) metering looks at the entire scene and tries to expose it as an average of 18% grey.

So, if you're shooting in shutter priority, you set the shutter speed, and the camera will choose the aperture that it needs to achieve what it thinks is proper exposure (18% grey). When you shoot in aperture priority, you set the aperture, and the camera decides what shutter speed it needs to achieve what it thinks is proper exposure (18% grey). When you enable Auto ISO you provide the camera with one more setting that it's allowed to control in order to achieve proper exposure. So, as you see the problem isn't auto ISO, it's the camera's meter. A camera is just as likely to overexpose (blow out the sky) whether you used Auto ISO or not. If you took a picture of a scene without ISO, and the camera blew out the sky, then you took the exact same image with auto ISO enabled, the second image would be overexposed exactly like the first image. The only difference might be that the lower image might have a lower shutter speed and a lower ISO (and be blurry), while the second image would have a higher shutter speed and a higher ISO (but would be sharper).

When you enable Auto ISO you also tell the camera when it's okay for it to raise the ISO and what is the maximum ISO that it should go to. For instance, you may set the auto ISO to kick in only if the shutter speed is about to go under 1/60 second and to only go up to ISO 1600. Your reasons for choosing those settings may be that you want to try to keep the shutter speed over 1/60 to avoid blurry pictures, and you don't want the ISO to go above 1600 to avoid a lot of image noise.

So, let's say you're shooting in aperture priority and set the aperture at f/5.6 and the ISO at 200. Let's say that the camera's built-in meter thinks that the shutter speed necessary for correct exposure at those settings is 1/15 second. If you have Auto ISO enabled to the settings I previously mentioned (kick in at 1/60 and max out at 1600), here's what the camera would do in this situation. It would lower the shutter speed, but auto ISO would stop the shutter speed from going any lower than 1/60, which is about 2 stops under where the camera meter thinks it needs to be (again, 1/15 second). Next, it will try to make up those 2 stops by raising the ISO to ISO 800 (2 stops above ISO 200). So, if you hadn't used auto ISO the shutter speed would have dropped to 1/15, and your image would have been blurry. But, because you used auto ISO, you were able to achieve the same good exposure (according to the camera) while keeping a shutter speed fast enough to keep the image sharp.

Now, let's say that you took a different picture with the same settings above (Aperture Priority, F/5.6, ISO 200, Auto ISO set to kick in at 1/60 second and to max out at ISO 1600). This scene is darker than the previous one, so the camera's meter thinks that in order to achieve correct exposure at f/5.6 & ISO 200 the shutter speed needs to be a slow 1/2 second. The camera will lower the shutter speed, but Auto ISO will stop it from going any lower than 1/60 sec. Since 1/60 sec is five stops under 1/2 sec the camera will try to increase the ISO by five stops. In this case, auto ISO can only make up three of the five stops, because you set Auto ISO to max out at ISO 1600 (3 stops over ISO 200). Only then, in order to make up the remaining two stops, will the camera lower the shutter speed below 1/60. Since Auto ISO was able to make up for 3 stops of light by raising the ISO, the shutter speed only needs to drop two stops below 1/60 to 1/15 second. In this example, if you hadn't used ISO, your shutter speed would have been 1/2, which would have surely resulted in a very blurry image if you were hand-holding the camera. By enabling auto iso, your shutter speed is still very slow (1/15), but it's possible (especially if your lens has Vibration Reduction and your brace yourself steady) to hand-hold at this speed and have an acceptable image. The only trade-off is that you might have a little more image noise, but a noisy image is better than one that's blurry beyond all recognition (at least you can clean up noise).

Okay, so if auto ISO won't cause or prevent blown-out skies, what will? A couple of things. First, negative exposure compensation helps. When you apply exposure compensation you're forcing the camera to expose a certain number of stops (or fractions of a stop) above or below what the camera thinks is correct. Since, as we said earlier, the camera had a tendency to overexpose, you might want to apply negative exposure compensation, so the camera will expose a little darker than what it thinks is ideal. Something else you can do is learn how to use the different metering modes and learn what you should meter to achieve correct exposure. If you used spot metering and metered off of the sky, then the camera will try to expose so that the sky is 18% grey (in terms of lightness/darkness, not color). The problem is that if the sky is not really 18% grey, but it's brighter, then everything else in the scene will be underexposed. So, if you spot meter the sky and the sky is really one stop brigher than 18% grey, you would also dial in one stop of positive exposure compensation, so the sky will expose accurately and so will everything else.

All this being said, you need to understand that very often the difference between the brightness of the sky and the darkness of the everything on the ground is so great that it's just impossible to render both the sky and ground correctly. In these instances, when you try to avoid having the sky blow out you inevitably cause the rest of the scene to be underexposed (too dark). In most instances, especially at Disney, what's on the ground is more important than the sky, so it usually makes sense to just expose for the ground and let the sky blow out. Think about it: you're taking a picture of your child standing in front of Cinderella Castle...what's more important, being able to clearly see your child & the castle, or a blue sky with the important stuff in very dark shadow? It's perfectly acceptable to blow out the sky in order to get the rest of the scene to expose correctly. Another good solution, when nature gives you a sky that's too bright, is to change angles and/or zoom in so your subject fills the frame, thereby minimizing or completely eliminating the sky from the image.

If you use spot metering, you might find you don't need to go into the menu to adjust the exposure compensation so much. To brighten up the picture (same thing as plussing the EC), you aim at something dark, hold the shutter button halfway (the camera has to let you do this), then frame and shoot. Vice versa to darken the picture, for example meter the sky.

If you are going to take multiple pictures of the same scene to try out different amounts of EC, be sure to spot meter the same spot (or frame the picture exactly the same way for average or non-spot metering).

Auto ISO could contribute to blown out skies (or dark noisy shadows) in some ways. As ISO is raised the dynamic range goes down, often by as much as one stop for each doubling of the ISO. This is why it pays to use the native ISO (usually the lowest ISO) for best results.

See dxomark's dynamic range charts for a clear example of how this works. As for metering, when I am lazy and an exposure is too bright I sometimes just meter from a brighter part of the scene and take the photo again, getting a darker image.
But only when I am lazy... ;)

ok so are you getting all this so far? heheheheheeeee quite the pile of info.

1. smaller aperture for more DOF and a little lower ISO b/c it was not needed. This has always annoyed me. A small aperture is a big number!!! why isn't it the other way around? Heheheheheee

It just shows the photo and the histogram. If it's too far to the right then I know it's too bright, too much to the left too dark.

correct mostly, left is dark and right is light. but if you have a bell curve type bar graph that is mostly left that just means that most of the scene was dark. same thing with a bell curve off to the right of center. that would happen when you ahve a large percentage of bright sky in the frame or a white building etc...

there is nothing wrong with a bell curve left or right, for basic photos. It is when the bars go all the way to the top of the graph, that means overexposure. the same with no bar, underexposed (or zero light value in that range, which happens).

'least thats the way I understand it.... I might be wrong. hehehee

Mikeeee

The camera always tried to balance an exposure. If you have really bright parts and really dark parts, it will try to make them balance. The reason you use spot metering is to meter on the dark parts to get detail. Or, you meter on the bright spots to shilouette the dark.
If you are shooting someone on the beach in the sun and you want their details, you would spot meter on them. If you blow out the rest, so be it if what you want is the person!

Thanks for responding Yes Dear. I understand this, but it's frustrating... That's why I end up having to fix up some shots in PP because the sky is blown out.
Why is it that P&S cameras seem to capture and balance the colors of the sky and people/things in the shot better than DSLR's on bright sunny days?:confused3 I've seen so many P&S shots on bright sunny days that look beautiful while the same thing captured with a DSLR in the same conditions on the same day look horrible - blown out skies and grey cast throughout the image - whether it shot in P, A or S.:headache: I've seen it so often in some of the Disney POTD where someone you know doesn't know anything about PP and using a P&S puts up a nicer more balanced colored shot of the same thing someone else shot with a DSLR and the sky is blown out or grey (and not just my pics either). That's what I don't get. How does that happen, and why? I guess this is all part of the learning curve...Is this where a ND filter would come in handy?

I don't own the D90, but I seriously doubt that the highlight warning (blinking) was eliminated from this camera. You probably need to enable it in the camera menu.
I've been through the menu a lot and I haven't found it yet. (I've already shot off 10k pics.) But if anyone knows where I might find it, I'd appreciate the info.

I think you're talking about shadow caused by the 18-200's lens hood...
I think I still get shadow from the 18-200 hood using an SB600 directly and the lens is at its widest focal length (18mm). I believe that the flash head on the SB600 is higher than that of the SB400. When that happens, just zoom in enough that the shadow is out of frame, and if you need a wider angle, "zoom out" with your feet (step back). Or, if you're indoors, bounce the flash instead of firing directly.
Thanks, I didn't know what to do about this short of taking off the lens hood.

Okay, so if auto ISO won't cause or prevent blown-out skies, what will? A couple of things. First, negative exposure compensation helps. When you apply exposure compensation you're forcing the camera to expose a certain number of stops (or fractions of a stop) above or below what the camera thinks is correct. Since, as we said earlier, the camera had a tendency to overexpose, you might want to apply negative exposure compensation, so the camera will expose a little darker than what it thinks is ideal. Something else you can do is learn how to use the different metering modes and learn what you should meter to achieve correct exposure. If you used spot metering and metered off of the sky, then the camera will try to expose so that the sky is 18% grey (in terms of lightness/darkness, not color). The problem is that if the sky is not really 18% grey, but it's brighter, then everything else in the scene will be underexposed. So, if you spot meter the sky and the sky is really one stop brigher than 18% grey, you would also dial in one stop of positive exposure compensation, so the sky will expose accurately and so will everything else.

All this being said, you need to understand that very often the difference between the brightness of the sky and the darkness of the everything on the ground is so great that it's just impossible to render both the sky and ground correctly. In these instances, when you try to avoid having the sky blow out you inevitably cause the rest of the scene to be underexposed (too dark). In most instances, especially at Disney, what's on the ground is more important than the sky, so it usually makes sense to just expose for the ground and let the sky blow out. Think about it: you're taking a picture of your child standing in front of Cinderella Castle...what's more important, being able to clearly see your child & the castle, or a blue sky with the important stuff in very dark shadow? It's perfectly acceptable to blow out the sky in order to get the rest of the scene to expose correctly. Another good solution, when nature gives you a sky that's too bright, is to change angles and/or zoom in so your subject fills the frame, thereby minimizing or completely eliminating the sky from the image.
Whew! Thanks GrillMouster! That was a very detailed and well written explanation of Auto ISO and EC. I appreciate it.

A ND will lower the entire exposure, so that would not help here. To get a somewhat shaded person and not blow out the sky, I can think of a couple options. Fill flash or expose for the sky and try to bring out the person in PP. If you are shooting RAW and at a low ISO, you should be able to bring up the shadow areas a stop or two without it looking too bad. The flash is the best option though. Can you use a smaller lens for these shots or do you only have the one? A kit lens will not cast a shadow with the pop up flash. A 50mm would also be good. As long as the shutter sync is fast enough to not blow out the sky then the pop up will work. You might need to go to manual to pull it off and use a small aperture b/c the shutter is probably no faster than 1/200-1/250 with the pop up.

If you use spot metering, you might find you don't need to go into the menu to adjust the exposure compensation so much. To brighten up the picture (same thing as plussing the EC), you aim at something dark, hold the shutter button halfway (the camera has to let you do this), then frame and shoot. Vice versa to darken the picture, for example meter the sky.
If you are going to take multiple pictures of the same scene to try out different amounts of EC, be sure to spot meter the same spot (or frame the picture exactly the same way for average or non-spot metering).
Thanks! That's good info. One question, when I move the focus point, in Spot meter mode, it will meter off that spot where I place the focus point -- is that correct?

Auto ISO could contribute to blown out skies (or dark noisy shadows) in some ways. As ISO is raised the dynamic range goes down, often by as much as one stop for each doubling of the ISO. This is why it pays to use the native ISO (usually the lowest ISO) for best results.

See dxomark's dynamic range charts for a clear example of how this works. As for metering, when I am lazy and an exposure is too bright I sometimes just meter from a brighter part of the scene and take the photo again, getting a darker image.
But only when I am lazy... ;)
Thanks boBQuincy.

ok so are you getting all this so far? heheheheheeeee quite the pile of info.
correct mostly, left is dark and right is light. but if you have a bell curve type bar graph that is mostly left that just means that most of the scene was dark. same thing with a bell curve off to the right of center. that would happen when you ahve a large percentage of bright sky in the frame or a white building etc...
there is nothing wrong with a bell curve left or right, for basic photos. It is when the bars go all the way to the top of the graph, that means overexposure. the same with no bar, underexposed (or zero light value in that range, which happens).
'least thats the way I understand it.... I might be wrong. hehehee
Mikeeee
It's a lot of info to process, so I'm copying and pasting!Thanks for the info.

A ND will lower the entire exposure, so that would not help here. To get a somewhat shaded person and not blow out the sky, I can think of a couple options. Fill flash or expose for the sky and try to bring out the person in PP. If you are shooting RAW and at a low ISO, you should be able to bring up the shadow areas a stop or two without it looking too bad. The flash is the best option though. Can you use a smaller lens for these shots or do you only have the one? A kit lens will not cast a shadow with the pop up flash. A 50mm would also be good. As long as the shutter sync is fast enough to not blow out the sky then the pop up will work. You might need to go to manual to pull it off and use a small aperture b/c the shutter is probably no faster than 1/200-1/250 with the pop up.

Thanks ukcatfan. I though a ND filter was light on one side and dark on the other to help properly expose the sky? :confused3 I have a Polarizer that basically did just that -- darken everything-- and I stopped using it because I hated the way it looked.
I need to practice using my flash; I have it and I don't know how to get it to sync with the camera no matter what mode I'm in. :confused3 Like the metering that it shows on the flash is nowhere near what it shows on my camera. I thought with iTTL that it was supposed to be automatic and intuitive and know what the camera is set to to work with the camera, but it's not happening. I never could get it to read that info correctly. I do have the kit lens, but I use the 18-200 as my walk around. I also have the 50mm.
Can you explain a little about the shutter sync? Do you mean that I have to use manual mode because the pop up flash can't shoot faster than 1/200-1/250? Is there a maximum speed that the sb800 can shoot/sync with the camera at?

Thanks ukcatfan. I though a ND filter was light on one side and dark on the other to help properly expose the sky? :confused3 I have a Polarizer that basically did just that -- darken everything-- and I stopped using it because I hated the way it looked.
I need to practice using my flash; I have it and I don't know how to get it to sync with the camera no matter what mode I'm in. :confused3 Like the metering that it shows on the flash is nowhere near what it shows on my camera. I thought with iTTL that it was supposed to be automatic and intuitive and know what the camera is set to to work with the camera, but it's not happening. I never could get it to read that info correctly. I do have the kit lens, but I use the 18-200 as my walk around. I also have the 50mm.
Can you explain a little about the shutter sync? Do you mean that I have to use manual mode because the pop up flash can't shoot faster than 1/200-1/250? Is there a maximum speed that the sb800 can shoot/sync with the camera at?

You are thinking graduated ND filter. It will also not work on a portrait b/c the top of the person will be at a different exposure than the bottom part and the top part is likely in the sky area as well. I believe that there are specialty filters that have a sharp curve instead of a line, but I believe they are expensive. Yes, the shutter cannot go any faster than that with the pop up. I do not know about your flash, but it likely has a mode called high speed sync that allows faster shutter speeds to be used. As for lens, I suggest carrying the 50mm with you. It is small, much better for portraits, and will not cast a shadow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter