It’s been almost 10 years!

Talikins

Earning My Ears
EDITED: Apologies, I can see now someone asked a similar question recently. And I can't figure out how to delete this thread. I'm definitely out of practice here! :)

We last visited in 2014 just after the Hogwarts Express ride opened. Planning to return in Feb 2024. Would love to hear any tips from those who also visited the parks again after a long break - what were the biggest changes you noticed? Things that we should think differently about? Any feedback welcome.
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Don't delete.

I'm the one who asked that question earlier, but I never really got an answer, so maybe you'll have better luck. I've just been doing a ton of research myself and watching a lot of Youtube videos. As far as I can tell, not much has changed besides new attractions being added and old ones closed. There are a few new hotels and restaurants as well, and of course, Volcano Bay replaced Wet-n-Wild.

My last trip was 2019 right before the pandemic, so after yours by a bit, but I don't remember any major changes from 2014 to 2019 besides attractions.

This is what has been added since 2014.

Universal Studios
Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - 4D ride (IMHO not great)
Fast & Furious: Supercharged - slow moving tram ride (so bad, see recent thread on here)
Illumination's Villain-Con Minion Blast - arcade style shooter (new for me this trip, not tried)

Island of Adventure
Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure - coaster
VelociCoaster
Skull Island: Reign of Kong - better themed tram ride than F&F
The Bourne Stuntacular - show (new for me, not seen, heard it is good)
The Nighttime Lights At Hogwarts™ Castle - castle projection show (temporarily closed right now)

This is what has closed since 2014.

Universal Studios
Shrek 4-D
FEAR FACTOR LIVE
Beetlejuice Graveyard Revue
Universal's Cinematic Spectacular
Disaster!
TWISTER…Ride It Out
Lucy – A Tribute

Island of Adventure
Poseidon's Fury
The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad
Dragon Challenge

Sorry, not sure of all the changes to CityWalk, but the below are all definitely new since you've been,

Voodoo Doughnut
CowFish - sushi & elaborate hamburgers
Toothsome - chocolate factory / themed steam punk character dining
Big Fire - steak restaurant
Escape Room

Resorts
Saphire Falls - moderate
Aventura - value plus
Dockside - value off-property
Endless Summer - value off property

The only thing I am noticing from my research is that with Hagrid's and VelociCoaster now open, FJ and Gringotts are no where near as bad as they were back in 2014. I remember absolutely insane waits for them back them, especially when Gringotts first opened. It seemed like a lot of people put off their vacations until both HP areas were open, and I remember the lines were so ridiculously long, but I've been watching times and researching, and I'm seeing 35 min to hour long waits now, not the crazy 3+ hours that could happen before. I'm sure holidays change that, but overall, looks like the two big coasters and years being open have helped a bit.

If there is anything in particular you are wondering about, let me know. I can let you know if it was still there in 2019 or if I have seen anything about it during my research.

Thank you so much - this is great info. Yes, FJ and Gringotts were bananas last time we went! Back then we didn’t buy express passes but just arrived early and did those rides first thing (one on each day of the trip).
Are express passes something that are a ‘must have’ now? Recognizing that this will be different depending on the time of year (we are looking at mid Feb).
What of the newer things since your last trip are you most interested to see/do?

Last edited:
The HP rides probably weren’t on Express back in 2014. Hagrid’s is the only ride now that has super crazy wait times for the most part.

Depending on your party size, you may want to price out premium hotel (RPR, Hard Rock, Portofino) for free express. They’re single rider lines that can be used on some rides. February will be Mardi Gras time, so Studios will have food booths like Epcot F&W and nightly parade with bead throwing.

Are express passes something that are a ‘must have’ now?
I don't think they are any more of a must have now than they were back then, so I'd go with however you felt about them before.

It's possible to go with or without EP. It just depends on how much time you have, how much you want to see, and how much planning and early morning rushing around you are ok with doing. I've done it both ways. It's always nice to have EP and not have to be on a schedule, but if it's going to cost a fortune, a trip can be done without EP.

When I really think it is worth it is when you have teens / tweens who want to ride the same coasters over and over again back to back during moderate to busy times of the year. If you just want to ride once or twice and have 2 or 3 days to tour the parks, you can plan out your rides and minimize most waits.

Recognizing that this will be different depending on the time of year (we are looking at mid Feb).
I have had mixed results with January / February. Some trips have been walk on absolutely everything. Others have been ridiculously crowded. You also have to watch out for holidays in there, plus over-spill that lingers from New Years well into Jan.

If I could swing staying at a Premier resort, I would. Then, you've got the EP if you need it, but didn't pay for it. Otherwise, I'd wait and buy it once there if you end up needing it, but unless you are going over a Feb holiday, I think it will be manageable without EP with a little planning, unless you are trying to do both parks in one day. Buy EP for that and even then, good luck rushing around.

I'm also looking at possibly going in February, and I don't think we will need EP except maybe late afternoon / super popular attractions, but it would be nice to have, even just for piece of mind. I'd rather have it and not need it, then the reverse, but when I lived in Tampa, we did the parks all the time without EP, even at peak times, so it can be done.

Not sure if you've been during Mardi Gras before or not, but outside of Christmas, it is probably my favorite time of the year to go. The floats are just as good as the ones in New Orleans, and there are ways you can even ride on one during the parade if you like.

What of the newer things since your last trip are you most interested to see/do?
Of the new attractions added since you've been, I do not care for Jimmy Fallon or Fast & Furious, so we will most likely skip those.

I have only gotten to ride Hagrid's once, and it was amazing, so I'm excited to do that again if we can fit it in. We aren't going to have much time, though, so I don't want to waste it waiting on one ride the whole day.

I've also not tried VelociCoaster. I'm undecided on if I want to or not. I don't like the fact that there is not an over the shoulder harness. Rides with only lap bars tend to throw me around and give me migraines, but I've heard it's smooth, so I'm still debating.

I love MIB, so another attraction where you get to shoot targets (Villian Minion Blast) sounds great, but like the above two attractions, I've heard this one also has crazy wait times right now. Also, not sure I'm thrilled with the fact you have to stand.

I'd love to see the Bourne show as that sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm also excited for all the great food. Nothing in particular. I've been reading menus all weekend, and it all looks amazing. Lots of new food to try.

Really, though, I'm just excited to be going back, relaxing by the pool, walking the path to the parks, listening to the music at IOA while I stroll along with a drink or snack. I'm also super excited to show my co-worker around as she has never been before.

Universal is my happy place. I find it super relaxing. I don't really care what I do while there. We always have fun.

The HP rides probably weren’t on Express back in 2014. Hagrid’s is the only ride now that has super crazy wait times for the most part.

Depending on your party size, you may want to price out premium hotel (RPR, Hard Rock, Portofino) for free express. They’re single rider lines that can be used on some rides. February will be Mardi Gras time, so Studios will have food booths like Epcot F&W and nightly parade with bead throwing.
Thanks for the feedback! You are right, the HP rides weren’t on Express Pass back then!

Are express passes something that are a ‘must have’ now?
I don't think they are any more of a must have now than they were back then, so I'd go with however you felt about them before.

It's possible to go with or without EP. It just depends on how much time you have, how much you want to see, and how much planning and early morning rushing around you are ok with doing. I've done it both ways. It's always nice to have EP and not have to be on a schedule, but if it's going to cost a fortune, a trip can be done without EP.

When I really think it is worth it is when you have teens / tweens who want to ride the same coasters over and over again back to back during moderate to busy times of the year. If you just want to ride once or twice and have 2 or 3 days to tour the parks, you can plan out your rides and minimize most waits.

Recognizing that this will be different depending on the time of year (we are looking at mid Feb).
I have had mixed results with January / February. Some trips have been walk on absolutely everything. Others have been ridiculously crowded. You also have to watch out for holidays in there, plus over-spill that lingers from New Years well into Jan.

If I could swing staying at a Premier resort, I would. Then, you've got the EP if you need it, but didn't pay for it. Otherwise, I'd wait and buy it once there if you end up needing it, but unless you are going over a Feb holiday, I think it will be manageable without EP with a little planning, unless you are trying to do both parks in one day. Buy EP for that and even then, good luck rushing around.

I'm also looking at possibly going in February, and I don't think we will need EP except maybe late afternoon / super popular attractions, but it would be nice to have, even just for piece of mind. I'd rather have it and not need it, then the reverse, but when I lived in Tampa, we did the parks all the time without EP, even at peak times, so it can be done.

Not sure if you've been during Mardi Gras before or not, but outside of Christmas, it is probably my favorite time of the year to go. The floats are just as good as the ones in New Orleans, and there are ways you can even ride on one during the parade if you like.

Of the new attractions added since you've been, I do not care for Jimmy Fallon or Fast & Furious, so we will most likely skip those.

I have only gotten to ride Hagrid's once, and it was amazing, so I'm excited to do that again if we can fit it in. We aren't going to have much time, though, so I don't want to waste it waiting on one ride the whole day.

I've also not tried VelociCoaster. I'm undecided on if I want to or not. I don't like the fact that there is not an over the shoulder harness. Rides with only lap bars tend to throw me around and give me migraines, but I've heard it's smooth, so I'm still debating.

I love MIB, so another attraction where you get to shoot targets (Villian Minion Blast) sounds great, but like the above two attractions, I've heard this one also has crazy wait times right now. Also, not sure I'm thrilled with the fact you have to stand.

I'd love to see the Bourne show as that sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm also excited for all the great food. Nothing in particular. I've been reading menus all weekend, and it all looks amazing. Lots of new food to try.

Really, though, I'm just excited to be going back, relaxing by the pool, walking the path to the parks, listening to the music at IOA while I stroll along with a drink or snack. I'm also super excited to show my co-worker around as she has never been before.

Universal is my happy place. I find it super relaxing. I don't really care what I do while there. We always have fun.
Thanks for so much detail. Hagrid’s is top of my list - and I agree with what you mean about “lap bar only” style coasters. Your point about teens & rides is well taken too - EP might be much more important now with our much older kids vs 9 years ago when everyone was small. Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks for so much detail. Hagrid’s is top of my list - and I agree with what you mean about “lap bar only” style coasters. Your point about teens & rides is well taken too - EP might be much more important now with our much older kids vs 9 years ago when everyone was small. Enjoy your trip!!

Yeah, our first trip the kids were 11 to 13. I lost count of how many times they rode RRR and Hulk over and over and over. I think they rode Mummy quite a bit as well. Another trip, we all spent probably half a day just riding MIB until we managed to become agents. It took forever but was a lot of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter