It all feels so foreign now!

klitteral2009

Mouseketeer
So we couldn't stand it any longer and bit the bullet. I booked a trip for us the last week of March 2021. Now, I'm not asking for anyone to dust off their crystal ball and tell me what to expect, but those of you who have been over the pandemic and are also planning early 2021 trips...how much planning should I do? I know things are going to change (hoping for the return of park hopping and more dining options!) but I like to plan as early as I can. We've picked our park reservations but other than that, I'm at a loss for how much planning I can do in advance and how much I'm going to need to wait on. Am I right in thinking its now 60 days to make dining reservations and that starts at midnight?

Park hopping is returning in January. You will make a park reservation for your first park. You must enter the first park. You can begin park hopping at 2 pm.

You can make dining reservations at 60 days out beginning at 6 a.m. On the website and 7 am over the phone.

So we went over the Thanksgiving Holiday week. The only planning I really did was a park per day and dining reservations. Other than that we just went with the flow. We had the best time ever!!! I was very grateful that I had dining reservations. We had a table reserved for us to eat, and it was a nice mask break. Things could change but this model worked just great for us. I really liked not having to worry about Fastpasses.

I've been twice since the reopening, August and Thanksgiving week, and I only did the park reservations and dining. It was so weird not having all the FP lined up for all the days, but it was by far the most relaxing and easist trip we've ever had. I did more lunch reservations on those trips, worked well since it gets so crowded at lunch time, then winged it based on how we were feeling for dinner. This is exactly how I plan to attack it again once we can park hop again. Probably will play what park we will go to at night by ear, do lunches in our first park, and then go with the flow after that since the crowds can be pretty sporadic right now.

If you have a couple of favorite table service restaurants you want to go to, I would recommend making reservations for those so you get them. Some places and times are harder to get than others.

And definitely make your park reservations as soon as possible.

We've been 5x since reopening. There isn't really too much to plan now. Just book your park days, which you probably already have, and book your dining.

We've been 3x since reopening, honestly the not having FP+ to work around your dining reservations is SO nice. I love that you can go more "with the flow" and only really need to plan what you want to eat that night.

Thank you all for your responses so far! I am so used to uber-planning I feel like I'm going to miss something!

So we went over the Thanksgiving Holiday week. The only planning I really did was a park per day and dining reservations. Other than that we just went with the flow. We had the best time ever!!! I was very grateful that I had dining reservations. We had a table reserved for us to eat, and it was a nice mask break. Things could change but this model worked just great for us. I really liked not having to worry about Fastpasses.

went the same time frame. Even though the lines were long, they actually moved instead of stagnant like when fast passes are involved... I hope fast passes never return

went the same time frame. Even though the lines were long, they actually moved instead of stagnant like when fast passes are involved... I hope fast passes never return
I had wondered how all that was going. Part of me is terrified of no fast passes and increased capacity though. Long lines...no bueno. But if they're moving pretty steadily maybe it won't be so bad. So many unknowns but we just can't stay away any longer!

We went in September and it seemed like many places had reduced menus, so I would definitely check those out. We made just a couple of dining reservations because we didn't want to get stuck eating fast food all the time.

I am still planning our "January trip that will probably be canceled but I'm in denial so I keep planning anyway" trip. I have a handful of ADR's and park hours written down. I didn't bother with my Type-A spreadsheet. Feels kind of nice to do this one on the fly.

Went in November, going again in January. All I planned was park reservations and dining reservations.
Not having FPs made my November trip very enjoyable because I wasn't running from FP to FP. I took pictures inside the castle breezeway (no crowds!), the Cinderella fountain, I went on Buzz Lightyear twice in a row. It was great! I think I had a lot more fun being spontaneous instead of having everything all planned out.

We have been twice since Disney World reopened, July and early November. I agree with the others who have said its a good idea to make dining reservations. Quick service options are more limited than previously. We missed Columbia Harbor House. We did eat a Satu'li Canteen in AK and PizzeRizzo in HS with mobile order and had a corn dog from Sleepy Hollow in MK. Place mobile orders early in the day so you can choose the pickup time you want. With park hopping coming back, admission will be contingent on capacity at each park. I will make my dining reservations at my first park each day for out next trip. I also plan my first few rides and my arrival time to take advantage of the first part of the day. After that we did whatever we wanted until our lunch ADR. Our next trip is reserved for May, so I'm sure more things will change by then. I am pleased with how well Disney has adapted and continues to provide us with our favorite escape.

After considering all this, I kind of hope they don't increase capacity too much and leave things as they are. We're actually very much starting to look forward to not park hopping and really spending time in each park doing all the things we haven't before because we're racing to FP reservations or dining. Having to make choices is a little harder but I think we're going to really appreciate the changes. I'm just ready to get back home, breathe in the air on Main Street (through my mask lol) and be in my happy place!

A little off topic, but we are trying to decide if its worth eating at one of the table service places in HS. I'm thinking SciFi but would love to hear what you guys recommend! We would do Prime Time but my kids are painfully shy and I fear I'd be the only one participating in the fun! LOL

Park hopping is returning in January. You will make a park reservation for your first park. You must enter the first park. You can begin park hopping at 2 pm.
Not to hijack, but do you have to have a park reservation for the park you want to hop to as well? I haven't been keeping up on the new procedures coming in January.

For the OP, we visited in late October. Assuming park hours will still be shortened in March, it was not conducive to going back to your resort mid-day for anything. Instead, we made lunch TS reservations which worked out well. QS options are few and far between and with mobile order in place, there may not be something you want available immediately. You might have to wait for a time slot. Having a TS reservation for lunch guarantees you a hassle free lunch at a set time, and doubles as a mid-day break in AC so that you can save time instead of going back to your resort. So TS reservations and of course park reservations are about the only two things I pre-planned. I also considered which rides to go to first at rope drop in each park based on popularity, and planned my park days around that. For example, I knew Slinky Dog and MMRR would be popular ones at DHS, so I planned two days at DHS where I could rope drop and tackle one ride at each.

Not to hijack, but do you have to have a park reservation for the park you want to hop to as well? I haven't been keeping up on the new procedures coming in January.

No, you do not have to have a reservation for the park you're hopping to. With that said, there's no guarantee you'll get in. If capacity is maxed out, you won't be allowed in. My understanding is MDE will be updated with park availability.

Went in November, going again in January. All I planned was park reservations and dining reservations.
Not having FPs made my November trip very enjoyable because I wasn't running from FP to FP. I took pictures inside the castle breezeway (no crowds!), the Cinderella fountain, I went on Buzz Lightyear twice in a row. It was great! I think I had a lot more fun being spontaneous instead of having everything all planned out.

The way a vacation should be..... minus wearing masks 24/7

After considering all this, I kind of hope they don't increase capacity too much and leave things as they are. We're actually very much starting to look forward to not park hopping and really spending time in each park doing all the things we haven't before because we're racing to FP reservations or dining. Having to make choices is a little harder but I think we're going to really appreciate the changes. I'm just ready to get back home, breathe in the air on Main Street (through my mask lol) and be in my happy place!

A little off topic, but we are trying to decide if its worth eating at one of the table service places in HS. I'm thinking SciFi but would love to hear what you guys recommend! We would do Prime Time but my kids are painfully shy and I fear I'd be the only one participating in the fun! LOL

DO IT! 50’s Prime Time is actually affordable and the food is good... the staff would not embarrass your kids, if anything you will be the subject of ridicule🤣🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter