It Just Isn't Done That Way - Sydney and the Blue Mountains - TR Complete #284.

You take great photos! Are you a professional photographer or is it just a hobby?

Thanks. It's just a hobby.

That sunrise definitely looked worth getting up for. The breakfast looked delicious and the hotel looks very nice, too.

Corinna

Looking back, I think I could have slept in on this morning. :rotfl:

Your DS is so funny :rotfl2: I would much rather have stayed in the country :rotfl:

Nice work getting those last few photos. Definitely worth it :thumbsup2 Glad the traffic treated you a bit better this time around.

Although your view was nothing spectacular, at least it wasn't a bad view, like a wall, or looking straight into someone's apartment :rotfl:

I know. I can't believe that DH and I ended up with a complete city slicker for a DS. :lmao:

I was happy that we weren't looking directly into another building. And in the scheme of things, we didn't spend a lot of time looking out of the window anyway.

Yay! I'm finally caught ip again. Thanks for the heads up on the falls hikes. I've added the Jenolan caves to our Australia planning list but I think that's all we'll do around there. Fran isn't very mobile and she may even nix those.

OK, so what exactly makes a toastie? In NZ we learned about toasted sandwiches and lived off those at the snack bars in the remote tourist destinations, but those were what Americans called "grilled (insert meat type) and cheese". They had two slices of bread. Is a toastie the same thing but open faced?

I would have opted for cook in something easy (like toasted sandwiches!) Rather than wait 40 minutes twice, but I would have grabbed a bottle of wine and chilled while cooking. But thats me. I'm glad you were satisfied with your choices and breakfast looked delicious!

Your Sydney room looks spacious and the beds appear huge! Looking forward to hearing what's in store for the urban part of the trip!

Toastie? We make it in a Sandwich toaster. It definitely involves cheese and any filling you like. It's not quite open. The sandwich toaster will close up the bread edges together.

Lol re SS and cityboy. Exactly like me I am def a city/town kind of gal. I enjoy seeing country sights then can't wait to get back to the smoke!

Oh my the hotel in Sydney is amazing! Sydney is on my top 3 places I would love to visit before I croak lol. I love the space in that hotel and hey that deal with buffet breakfast nice one :-)

Being an early riser I can get a breakfast buffet twice lol... Once for breakfast then once just as it closes as an early lunch for the road...

It's strange how I never get invited back to places..

Looking forward to photos of Sydney!

I hope you make it out to Sydney and Melbourne soon, Paula. You must really love breakfast. If so, you and I can hang out together. :thumbsup2

Love photos of fresh strawberries always makes me crave them, your hotel in Sydney looks great :)

Family Time in Sydney

I think I mentioned that we have pretty close friends in Sydney. She is my cousin's best friend. My cousin and her friend ended up in Melbourne to attend university and they ended up sharing my bedroom for the better part of 15 months. It was very cosy in that bedroom for that period of time and as a very awkward teenager, I think they were the ones that ended up with the short end of the straw.

But it couldn't have all been that bad as the friendship and the shared experience has lasted far longer than that 15 month duration.

In fact, we consider them to be part of the family.

My cousin and I have been promising to visit them in Sydney for years now and they finally dialled up the pressure last year. So, our time in Sydney was not necessarily "just us". 3 of us plus 3 of my cousin and 3 of them in Sydney meant that we were a family gathering of 9.

Whilst the Sydneysiders might have been working during the day, we did have their daughter (13 years old) to keep us all company and play tour guide for us. All in all, there were 3 adults and 4 teenagers during the daytime touring and our numbers would increase by 2 adults during the night time playtime.

So, after dropping off the hire car, we caught up with the family and headed out to do some sightseeing.

(Continued in Next Post)

Lunch with a View

From our hotel, we walked up a couple of blocks to George Street. There is a free Sydney CBD Shuttle bus that runs every 10 minutes. The service operates in both directions on a loop from Central Station to Circular Quay via George Street. If you are visiting and find yourself near to George Street, keep this service in mind. It certainly saves you money if you were to catch the Sydney public transport service instead. The only drawback of this free service is that the shuttle stops running at 3.30 pm during the weekday.

We had made our way to the Circular Quay area in Sydney and found a café at the Quay to feed the ravenous teenagers.

Lunch comprised of pizza.

A few serves of chips.

Lentil Soup for the vegetarian.

And Ceaser Salad for the other adults to enjoy.

The food wasn't particularly exciting but the view more than made up for the shortfall.

(Continued in Next Post) 

Hanging about that Coat Hanger

If you are at Circular Quay, the view of the Bridge is at one side of the Quay area. The view to the other side is that building with the spiky roofline.

But more on that building later. We headed in this direction instead.

One of our teenagers had expressed the desire to climb the Harbour Bridge. My cousin and I did look into the experience. But at prices starting at $200 per person and more depending on the time of day, we decided not to indulge on this trip. Maybe next time. But for those interested, it is one of those must-do experiences if you are in Sydney.

Instead, we decided that we could head up one of the bridge Pylons instead.

You have to make your way on to the pedestrian walk-way on the bridge itself.

The Pylon lookout is on the pylon located at the South-East side of the bridge.

General admission to the lookout is $13 per adult.

There are about 200 stairs to climb to head up to the top.

There are a number of levels along the climb up with various exhibits, models and information displayed.

Construction commenced in 1923. These models depict how workers were dressed in those days. No hard hats, safety lines, protective boots or special clothing. In total, 16 men lost their lives during the bridge construction.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge was constructed in two halves. In 1930, a gap of approximately one metre separated the two sides and success or failure of the construction rested on connecting the two sides and securing the gap with a massive centre pin. A plywood model (half scale) of that centre pin can be found suspended from the ceiling at the Pylon Lookout.

Keep heading up to the next level and you'll find the exhibit with bridge memorabilia. Is it bad to admit that I really enjoyed looking at these 'souvenirs'?

I was also fascinated by the replica of the ceremonial scissors used to cut the ribbon at the official opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932.

Keep climbing and you'll get to the top level. The views of Sydney are stunning here. This one is looking back to the CBD and Circular Quay where we had lunch.

My cousin and I remarked on how the engineers in those days had the foresight to make the bridge wide enough for all those lanes of traffic AND two rail lines.

We also took a look at the stairs up the coat hanger. I suspect that like me, she might have been regretting the decision not to climb them.

But irrespective of whether we paid $200 or $13, there is no denying that it really is a million dollar view of the Sydney Harbour from here.

Believe it or not, the Pylons on the bridge were added purely for aesthetics.

One final look and it was time to head back down.

Back on Level 1, there is an audiovisual presentation on a continuous loop. If you are here, you might as well stay and watch it. It is a montage of the images taken during the bridge construction and I found it fascinating to get that glimpse of the world in the 1930’s.

And because I love leadlight, I was equally as fascinated by these images.

The images represent the workers that help to construct the bridge.

We also spent some time checking out the bits and pieces that went into making the bridge.

It really was a fascinating way to enjoy the Coat Hanger!

princess::upsidedow

Love photos of fresh strawberries always makes me crave them, your hotel in Sydney looks great :)

Thanks.

I love red fruit and will always have them by preference. I was really happy with the Park Royal and will cheerfully head back there again.

That bridge climb looked like so much fun! I agree with you that the china was fascinating.

The bridge looks fascinating. The Harbour Bridge climb is on my wish list...although I about choked at the prices!

Jill in CO

How did I not know about this pylon lookout? :confused3 It definitely would have made it onto my to-do list for our Lion King trip to Sydney (not that I would have gotten to do it though, so maybe it's for the best :rotfl:). The bridge climb is high on my wishlist. I love that in Melbourne we're close enough to do it on a day trip to Sydney :rotfl:

I love that the three of you who shared a room are still so close. For this only child who grew up on 5 acres in the country, then lived on my own for several years, the thought of sharing my bedroom with 2 other people for more than a year is nightmarish :scared1: I love my space!

The views are amazing. The idea of climbing the Harbour Bridge scares me. I am not sure even the pylon would appeal.

Corinna

All caught up. :)

Thoroughly enjoying your Sydney updates. I still haven't put much thought into how we will spend our 1 1/2 days there this December, so your TR will help we decide.

It's also got me thinking. Probably my favourite view of Auckland is the one you get when you cross over the Harbour Bridge and look towards the city. Yet looking at your pics, I've decide that the prettiest views of Sydney are the ones you get where you stand in the city and look towards the bridge. I have no idea why my brain is amused by that realisation, but it is. :-)

Great update very interesting! Like Corinna even the Pylon is out of reach for me lol. But I bet the view were amazing. I can't believe you have to pay to climb the bridge! $200! Does it go towards maintenance? Do you have to pay the drive across the bridge?

Sydney sure does look great. Jo has relatives in Tasmania and me in Cairns so one day! Also be great to see you of course.

My relative in Cairns is my aunt who has lived 5 minutes from the great barrier reef and never been lol...

That bridge climb looks scary to me! I would be torn as to whether or not to do the pylons, but since it isn't an option I don't have to worry about making that decision.

The harbour views were very nice.

You have confused me even further with your response to my last question. What is a sandwich toaster? Is that what we would call a toaster oven? Or is it more like a sandwich press? Sorry I keep belaboring this point!

Sorry to butt in PIO :rotfl:

Great update very interesting! Like Corinna even the Pylon is out of reach for me lol. But I bet the view were amazing. I can't believe you have to pay to climb the bridge! $200! Does it go towards maintenance? Do you have to pay the drive across the bridge?

Not sure if you're aware, you don't just walk up a few stairs to the top of the bridge. They had to make modifications to the bridge for the bridge climb. You are outfitted in a safety harness and attached to the bridge at all times. You need to leave all your stuff in a locker - I believe you're not even allowed to take a camera (but of course they'll take photos for you and sell them to you at a highly inflated cost :rotfl2:). You go in a tour group of about 10. It's actually quite involved and I imagine would have cost a bomb to set up and run (with insurances etc).

And yes, the bridge is a toll road for traffic.

You have confused me even further with your response to my last question. What is a sandwich toaster? Is that what we would call a toaster oven? Or is it more like a sandwich press? Sorry I keep belaboring this point!

I believe in some places they are called 'jaffles'. Not sure if that's in the US or not, but if you do a google image search for jaffles or jaffle iron, you'll see what we mean by toasties :thumbsup2

Sorry to butt in PIO :rotfl: Not sure if you're aware, you don't just walk up a few stairs to the top of the bridge. They had to make modifications to the bridge for the bridge climb. You are outfitted in a safety harness and attached to the bridge at all times. You need to leave all your stuff in a locker - I believe you're not even allowed to take a camera (but of course they'll take photos for you and sell them to you at a highly inflated cost :rotfl2:). You go in a tour group of about 10. It's actually quite involved and I imagine would have cost a bomb to set up and run (with insurances etc). And yes, the bridge is a toll road for traffic. I believe in some places they are called 'jaffles'. Not sure if that's in the US or not, but if you do a google image search for jaffles or jaffle iron, you'll see what we mean by toasties :thumbsup2

I see re Bridge thank you. Actually now you say that I recall seeing the contestants of the biggest looser Australia doing this one time! I just recalled that from your description. I remember thinking oh my not for the faint hearted! Yes def very involved. More like climbing a mountain crosses a bungee jump!

That bridge climb looked like so much fun! I agree with you that the china was fascinating.

If I weren't with the family, I would have spent much more time looking and photographing that china. It was beautiful.

The bridge looks fascinating. The Harbour Bridge climb is on my wish list...although I about choked at the prices!

Jill in CO

If you're planning a trip to Oz, bring plenty of money. :teeth:

How did I not know about this pylon lookout? :confused3 It definitely would have made it onto my to-do list for our Lion King trip to Sydney (not that I would have gotten to do it though, so maybe it's for the best :rotfl:). The bridge climb is high on my wishlist. I love that in Melbourne we're close enough to do it on a day trip to Sydney :rotfl:

I love that the three of you who shared a room are still so close. For this only child who grew up on 5 acres in the country, then lived on my own for several years, the thought of sharing my bedroom with 2 other people for more than a year is nightmarish :scared1: I love my space!

Maybe you could do the pylon lookout next trip. I think the price of the bridge climb includes entry to the pylon lookout.

And sharing the bedroom with 2 other people was, at times, nightmarish. I'm glad we survived the experience. :rotfl2:

The views are amazing. The idea of climbing the Harbour Bridge scares me. I am not sure even the pylon would appeal.

Corinna

The climb up the pylon is indoors until you get to the top level. And then you can choose to head out to the observation area or not.

All caught up. :)

Thoroughly enjoying your Sydney updates. I still haven't put much thought into how we will spend our 1 1/2 days there this December, so your TR will help we decide.

It's also got me thinking. Probably my favourite view of Auckland is the one you get when you cross over the Harbour Bridge and look towards the city. Yet looking at your pics, I've decide that the prettiest views of Sydney are the ones you get where you stand in the city and look towards the bridge. I have no idea why my brain is amused by that realisation, but it is. :-)

IMO, the prettiest views of Sydney are actually from the harbour. :rolleyes1

Sydney sure does look great. Jo has relatives in Tasmania and me in Cairns so one day! Also be great to see you of course.

My relative in Cairns is my aunt who has lived 5 minutes from the great barrier reef and never been lol...

I suspect that the company that runs the bridge climb might pay something towards the NSW State Government for the use of the bridge. But I couldn't say for sure.

There is a toll for driving across the bridge.

Sounds like between your aunt, Jo's relatives and visiting me, you and Jo have the perfect excuse to plan a trip. When can I expect you? popcorn::

That bridge climb looks scary to me! I would be torn as to whether or not to do the pylons, but since it isn't an option I don't have to worry about making that decision.

The harbour views were very nice.

Kimmar067 has a LOT to answer for!! :rotfl:

I know she didn't know what a jaffle was either. When I was young, we had jaffles for dinner at least once a month. They were made with a round press like this.

jaffle-iron.jpg

My jaffle machine or sandwich toaster looks like this.

IMG_8665.jpg

You'll end up with jaffles that look like this.

P2270189.JPG

We also have sandwich presses that look like this.

sunbeam-sandwich-press-contact-grill-gr8450-medium1.jpg

The difference is that a sandwich toaster gives you sandwiches where the ends are all crimped together.....jaffles.

The sandwich press will give you a toasted sandwich.

Hope this clears it up.

Sorry to butt in PIO :rotfl:

I believe in some places they are called 'jaffles'. Not sure if that's in the US or not, but if you do a google image search for jaffles or jaffle iron, you'll see what we mean by toasties :thumbsup2

No worries.

I think the US might not use jaffles as commonly as we do here. I had a similar question from a different Dis-ser when I mentioned it on a different thread. :confused3

No worries.

I think the US might not use jaffles as commonly as we do here. I had a similar question from a different Dis-ser when I mentioned it on a different thread. :confused3

Do we use jaffles commonly here? I'd never heard of that term until a couple of years ago :rotfl2:

Do we use jaffles commonly here? I'd never heard of that term until a couple of years ago :rotfl2:

I don't know how long the jaffle irons have been in use for. I do remember that we had some when I was a child in SE-Asia; so that puts it in the Old Fogie category. I do have fond memories of having jaffles on a Sunday night stuffed with corned beef that had been fried up with onion, egg and chilli beforehand when I was growing up in Asia.
I think the jaffle irons might have been used in the UK. Perhaps Corinna or Paula might provide additional anecdotal conversation on whether they remember it or not.

Jaffles have definitely gone through a revival in the last 4 years or so. There are a few more cafe's adding them on their menu these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter