Italy - early arrival - what would you?

polynor

Mouseketeer
For the ABD Italy tour -- what does the walking tour part cover? I see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona - particularly at the Pantheon -- how much time do you have there? quick look, snap a picture and go?

We are planning to come in a day earlier so will have approx 1.5 days before the ABD start -- what would you prioritize? Borghese Gallery, Forum, Catacombs? Are those easy to get to from the Gran Melia? Walking wise?
TIA -- we're getting excited about this...

I can't help you with suggestions, but I do encourage you to not limit yourself to something within walking distance. One of my favorite things in other countries is to ride the subway or bus, just to get a slice of everyday life. For me, bus schedules can be a bit intimidating, but subways are pretty straight forward. I use an app, Moovit, which gives you a detailed, step by step description of how to get from A to B, with time tables, etc. Take a look at it and consider a small adventure. :)

I would take the hop on hop off bus around. You can decide whether or not to get off. It’s an amazing ride around the city. Also if you like old movies you can visit the mouth of truth which was featured in the movie Roman Holiday. It’s a fun photo op. And it’s an easy walk from a HOHO bus stop.

Google maps shows a 30 minute walking time from the GM to the Forum, most of which is along the Tiber. The Forum is a major attraction and you could take a more scenic route past Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and even the Trevi fountain before heading to the Capitoline Hill and the Forum (the Colloseum is at the far end of the Forum). We like to stay near PN and walk past the Campo di Fiore, PN, Pantheon and Trevi every day. The hotel is very near the Vatican and Castel San Angelo so you could also go that direction. Although many areas are pedestrian only, we found lots of foot traffic in pre-pandemic October so be prepared for that. Rome is a great city to just wander through.

Rick Steves guide books tend to do a great job of identifying attractions of interest to Americans and providing DIY instructions for visiting. I think there may also be a city-sponsored bus tour. At least there was years ago. It provides a great overview as does the HOHO bus.

For the ABD Italy tour -- what does the walking tour part cover? I see Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona - particularly at the Pantheon -- how much time do you have there? quick look, snap a picture and go?

We are planning to come in a day earlier so will have approx 1.5 days before the ABD start -- what would you prioritize? Borghese Gallery, Forum, Catacombs? Are those easy to get to from the Gran Melia? Walking wise?
I have not done the ABD, but used to live in Rome.

If you have extra time in Rome I would highly recommend the Roman Forum/Palatine Hill/Colosseum (didn't see the Colosseum in your list above). You can get a combo ticket for those sites. Villa Borghese is also amazing and you can check out Via Veneto when in that area. Also highly recommend the Campo dei Fiori/Jewish ghetto area.

You technically COULD walk to the Catacombs if you are near the Colosseum, but generally they are not considered walking distance from the historic city center- they are out along the Appian Way - (Via Appia Antica) San Callisto, Santa Domitilla, San Sebatiano). You can either take a taxi/uber down there or you can take the metro to a stop nearby stop (I always used Piramide) and walk about 20 minutes from there. Walking the Via Appia Antica is a really cool experience!

Vatican City (St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums (Sistine Chapel) are also worth checking out if that's on your radar. You may need to uber or use the metro depending on the location of your hotel. (If its the Gran Melia near the Vatican then you can walk).

I can't help you with suggestions, but I do encourage you to not limit yourself to something within walking distance. One of my favorite things in other countries is to ride the subway or bus, just to get a slice of everyday life. For me, bus schedules can be a bit intimidating, but subways are pretty straight forward. I use an app, Moovit, which gives you a detailed, step by step description of how to get from A to B, with time tables, etc. Take a look at it and consider a small adventure. :)
The Rome subway system is simple to navigate, quick (driving takes forever and is really expensive) and a great way to get around. We did it repeatedly on this adventure, as we came in many days before the ABD trip and also stayed an extra day in Venice.

We did the Scavi Vatican tour (must register in advance, some paperwork involved). My wife still says, for her, this was the best activity she's ever done, anywhere, anytime. It was pretty cool, but I wouldn't rank it above New Zealand or South America. Very few do this as it isn't advertised or pressed. This takes you below the grottos under the Vatican, lead by a priest, to the necropolis. It includes a reverent visit to the burial site of St. Peter - yes one of the 12 apostles. We learned more history in that 90 minutes than I think I learned in college. Italy is a very good ABD trip. Enjoy.

We didn't do an ABD, but we had a few days in Rome last summer. Aside from the things you mentioned, we really enjoyed
  • The Baths of Caracalla
  • Stadium of Domecian (Piazza Navona underground)
  • A private night driving tour that took us to see the major sites in the evening and at night (Appian Way, Piazza Navona, St Peter's Square, Trevi, Pantheon, Colosseum, and a few other I'm probably missing). It was great to see the places in both day and night.

I really wanted to see Domus Aurea (Nero's Villa), but it wasn't open the days we were there.

Vicus Caprarius (ancient apartment complex underground the Trevi area) was also closed the day we were in the area, but also looked pretty interesting.

Thanks all for your responses -- another wrinkle I should have added is our extra pre-trip day will actually be Christmas day. So I'm thinking not much will be open on that day and we'll do some meandering around the city, try and find food and then get sleep adjusted. So the extra touring time is really limited to the day after before the ABD portions start -- I was thinking we could get one or two things in; so the HOHO may be a good option. We've done public transit in other unknown cities before so if I study that some and feel we can navigate that seems like a good option. We don't want to duplicate anything that'll be on the tour -- but I saw from another thread that you don't get much time for shopping at Piazza Navona so we might try and do that too (on the 26th if anything is open, expecting nothing open on the 25th).

The Rome subway system is simple to navigate, quick (driving takes forever and is really expensive) and a great way to get around.

While the Rome subways system is great to get around, be extremely aware of pickpockets and other scams in the train station and on the crowded train. Know where you are going and don't talk to strangers!

That seemingly helpful stranger that speaks perfect English and is helping you get your ticket will probably have a hand in your pocket or is working with an accomplice to steal your belongings while you are distracted.

It's perfectly safe as long as you don't look like an easy mark!

-Paul

Thanks all for your responses -- another wrinkle I should have added is our extra pre-trip day will actually be Christmas day. So I'm thinking not much will be open on that day and we'll do some meandering around the city, try and find food and then get sleep adjusted. So the extra touring time is really limited to the day after before the ABD portions start -- I was thinking we could get one or two things in; so the HOHO may be a good option. We've done public transit in other unknown cities before so if I study that some and feel we can navigate that seems like a good option. We don't want to duplicate anything that'll be on the tour -- but I saw from another thread that you don't get much time for shopping at Piazza Navona so we might try and do that too (on the 26th if anything is open, expecting nothing open on the 25th).

We did the ABD last year and I loved it, and you definitely get a lot of time at all the sites they list in the description. However, there’s almost no Ancient Rome other than the Colosseum, so I’d emphasize that if you have limited time on your own, especially the Forum and Palatine Hill.

On the 25th - I'd assume very little will be open, but I could be wrong. If something you want to see is open and NOT on the ABD, I'd do that on the 25th.
We didn't have any time for shopping at PN - so if that is important to you, I'd do that on the 26th before your tour starts. The tour also no longer goes to the Forum (it did when we started looking for your 2019 tour, but not by the time the tour actually occurred). I think that you could easily do the Forum and get some shopping in on the 26th before you have to report for the trip.

On the 25th - if little is open, you could walk down the Tiber, into the Trastevere. We had planned to walk up the hill on that side of the river/park for amazing views of town.

On the things that are listed on the ABD itinerary - I felt that we had enough time at those places/sights.

During downtime in the tour - I think that is a great time to do things closer to the hotel, like Castel Sant Angelo.

We also loved this trip!

And for our arrival day, we walked a little on the Tiber, and then did a food tour through the Trastevere mainly. On the morning before the tour started, we did very little because I could not get my family moving that morning. So, alas, I didn't get to the forums, as planned.

Have a great trip.

The tour also no longer goes to the Forum (it did when we started looking for your 2019 tour, but not by the time the tour actually occurred). I think that you could easily do the Forum and get some shopping in on the 26th before you have to report for the trip.

@polynor, one thing I would really suggest if you do the Forum on your own is to check out Rick Steve's free Audio Europe app. He has a walking tour of the Forum (and other areas of Rome & Italy). I haven't done that particular walking tour, but I have used others of his (primarily in Greece) and they are really well done and very informative (as long as you don't mind stupid Dad jokes from time to time! :) )

Sayhello

Ditto the poster who remarked on pickpockets in Italy. Be very aware of your surroundings and keep your wallet in a safe, hard-to-get to place, like a zippered compartment inside your bag and your bag isn't just slung over your shoulder. This advice is brought to you by someone who lived in NYC for decades and never encountered a pickpocket there. But in Italy, it was a daily occurrence.

As for what to do before your ABD, I definitely recommend the Borghese. You need reservations there unless your tour is in January (which I doubt), so make them. The place is amazing and definitely worth doing.

If you're interested in art and the Vatican art collection isn't part of your ABD, then this is a must-do in Rome. Besides the Sistine Chapel--which is even more astounding then you might think it is--the Vatican has an enormous, impressive art collection. One could easily spend all day there.

Does your tour include the Via Appia? If not, that's a beautiful walk, like going back centuries, and there are several bus stops along the road, so if you get worn out, you can always get on a bus.

I cannot advise about hop-on-hop-off buses as I used the subway and bus system when I was in Rome. But I like sort of getting lost in a new city, so it doesn't bother me if I miss my stop or end up in an unintended place.

I have not done the ABD, but used to live in Rome.

If you have extra time in Rome I would highly recommend the Roman Forum/Palatine Hill/Colosseum (didn't see the Colosseum in your list above). You can get a combo ticket for those sites. Villa Borghese is also amazing and you can check out Via Veneto when in that area. Also highly recommend the Campo dei Fiori/Jewish ghetto area.

You technically COULD walk to the Catacombs if you are near the Colosseum, but generally they are not considered walking distance from the historic city center- they are out along the Appian Way - (Via Appia Antica) San Callisto, Santa Domitilla, San Sebatiano). You can either take a taxi/uber down there or you can take the metro to a stop nearby stop (I always used Piramide) and walk about 20 minutes from there. Walking the Via Appia Antica is a really cool experience!

Vatican City (St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums (Sistine Chapel) are also worth checking out if that's on your radar. You may need to uber or use the metro depending on the location of your hotel. (If its the Gran Melia near the Vatican then you can walk).
The ABD does visit the Colosseum.

We did the Italy ABD last summer. We'd already been in Italy about a week when the ABD started, but didn't arrive in Rome until the day before. We visited the catacombs (took a taxi) and had some extra time at the Vatican (a pretty easy walk from the Gran Melia).

The day our ABD started, we took the subway out to the Capuchin Crypt and planned to take a taxi back. Unfortunately, the taxi drivers went on a surprise strike while we were in the crypts. There was also something going on with the subway, and we ended up getting back to the Gran Melia late. It was fine, but we missed everyone's introductions. I'm not sure how often taxi/subway/bus interruptions happen in Rome. Maybe just something to be aware of.

I agree with a lot of the suggestions others have made. When I did this tour years ago, it was the Italy Signature tour and sites were included that are not on this itinerary.

When I toured, the Gran Melia had a shuttle that would drop you off and pick you up about 2-3 blocks from the Spanish Steps and shopping area. Check to see if it is still running. If it is, I recommend taking that and walking to the Villa Borghese which houses the Galleria Borghese. The museum is amazing and it’s situated in a park. From the drop off point, it was about a 15-20 minute walk. Remember to purchase your tickets in advance.

I also second seeing the Forum and Castel Sant‘Angelo. They were included when I did my ABD and are definitely worth a visit. If you’re there on a day when the Pope is speaking in the square, definitely try to get a ticket. I wasn’t able to and it’s definitely something I’ve regretted—and I’m not Catholic.

There’s a great lookout near the hotel that is a quick walk and look see. The Gran Melia is at the top of a steep hill. Keep in mind that you will have to walk up the hill after you go down it. There are a couple of shops & restaurants at the bottom of the hill. If it’s still there, I remember going to a Subway to get a quick bite one day. Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter