Italy: Viva Italia Meets Thread

Hello! Could someone who has been on this trip please tell me how late in the evening the dinner and celebration finishes on the last night in Venice?
Thanks?

My mom and 15 yr old son just returned yesterday from their Aug 7-15 2014 Via Italia tour. They had a fabulous time - loved the tour, hotels, experiences, pixie dust, food - everything!. They can't say enough great things about Troy and Marco - say they were fantastic!

One word of advise if you will be traveling in Aug, Sept, Oct... Don't check your bags through to Rome! Carry them onboard instead! These months are apparently "strike season' for airline employees. They organize 'wildcat strikes' (unannounced) across Europe in order to disrupt service. Unfortunately, my mom and son's bags were both caught between two apparent ground services employee strikes on their way to Rome on Aug 3/4th. One in Paris, where they connected, and one in Rome. Their bags were seriously delayed and gaining information on their status was next to impossible. On the 3rd full day in Rome, my mom had to take a taxi back to the airport and personally search through a mountain of bags. She found only her bag. When they joined the ABD tour later that day, Marco worked tirelessly to help track down my son's bag. Meanwhile I did all I could do from the States to locate his bag too. (There is no requirement that bags be scanned upon arrival/departure in Europe, as is required in the States. The people at the Rome airport and Alitalia would say the bag was in Paris. The people at Air France and in Paris would say the bag was in Rome. You get the picture.) His bag was finally delivered to him on their last night in Tuscany - 8 days (yes, eight) after their arrival in Rome!

Now after all of that, if his bag had been small enough to carry on for the return flight, he would have definitely carried it on. Alas it was too big, so it had to be checked-in. Can you guess what happened on their return trip from Venice - Paris - Minneapolis? My mom's bag arrived no problem, but my son's bag did not! So now starts round two of "where in the world is his luggage"?

We certainly learned our lesson! Oh, and I'll add that they were flying Sky Priority class - which is supposed to ensure seamless check-in, boarding, transfers and 'your bags come off first". Oh well!

I'll just finish by saying, the tour was so fabulously orchestrated that all the frustrations from the luggage being delayed were eclipsed by the wonderful experiences they were having on the tour. And my son learned some great life skills along the way - he now knows how to do laundry in a hotel sink! ; )

My mom and 15 yr old son just returned yesterday from their Aug 7-15 2014 Via Italia tour. They had a fabulous time - loved the tour, hotels, experiences, pixie dust, food - everything!. They can't say enough great things about Troy and Marco - say they were fantastic!

One word of advise if you will be traveling in Aug, Sept, Oct... Don't check your bags through to Rome! Carry them onboard instead! These months are apparently "strike season' for airline employees. They organize 'wildcat strikes' (unannounced) across Europe in order to disrupt service. Unfortunately, my mom and son's bags were both caught between two apparent ground services employee strikes on their way to Rome on Aug 3/4th. One in Paris, where they connected, and one in Rome. Their bags were seriously delayed and gaining information on their status was next to impossible. On the 3rd full day in Rome, my mom had to take a taxi back to the airport and personally search through a mountain of bags. She found only her bag. When they joined the ABD tour later that day, Marco worked tirelessly to help track down my son's bag. Meanwhile I did all I could do from the States to locate his bag too. (There is no requirement that bags be scanned upon arrival/departure in Europe, as is required in the States. The people at the Rome airport and Alitalia would say the bag was in Paris. The people at Air France and in Paris would say the bag was in Rome. You get the picture.) His bag was finally delivered to him on their last night in Tuscany - 8 days (yes, eight) after their arrival in Rome!

Now after all of that, if his bag had been small enough to carry on for the return flight, he would have definitely carried it on. Alas it was too big, so it had to be checked-in. Can you guess what happened on their return trip from Venice - Paris - Minneapolis? My mom's bag arrived no problem, but my son's bag did not! So now starts round two of "where in the world is his luggage"?

We certainly learned our lesson! Oh, and I'll add that they were flying Sky Priority class - which is supposed to ensure seamless check-in, boarding, transfers and 'your bags come off first". Oh well!

I'll just finish by saying, the tour was so fabulously orchestrated that all the frustrations from the luggage being delayed were eclipsed by the wonderful experiences they were having on the tour. And my son learned some great life skills along the way - he now knows how to do laundry in a hotel sink! ; )

I'm sorry to hear of your bag problems. We were on the ABD Germany trip this past June and one family that flew through Paris had only received their luggage the second last day of the trip. I NEVER fly through Paris or London for far too many families we have traveled with never get their luggage or get it very late in the trip. Glad they had such a good time even with the problem.

Hello,

Has anyone done this tour and arrived a day prior? Where did you stay? I saw a hotel "Hotel La Rovere" for a better price and it is just a block or so from the tour hotel. Found this on Trip Advisor.

Thanks

Melissa- solo adventurer, 5-25-15. I'm new to the board, but I did ABD's London/Paris trip last July, and loved ABD.

Add me to the roll call, sayhello?

Hello,
Has anyone done this tour and arrived a day prior? Where did you stay? I saw a hotel "Hotel La Rovere" for a better price and it is just a block or so from the tour hotel. Found this on Trip Advisor.
Thanks
We went a few days early & took the train to Sorrento to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

Several arrived a day early & stayed at the ABD hotel.
When they checked in, they were surprised to find that their room was free!
(I don't think it guaranteed, but there are more cases of it happening)

We went a few days early & took the train to Sorrento to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast.

The free rooms sound great. I guess ABD is seeing what their competition are offering and trying to match. We received a free 3 day cruise on DCL when we signed to tour Alaska. Love the extras.

The free rooms sound great. I guess ABD is seeing what their competition are offering and trying to match. We received a free 3 day cruise on DCL when we signed to tour Alaska. Love the extras.

Wow - we have not received any 'gifts' for our ABD. Something would be nice.

How many other occurrences of free rooms do you know of? Do you know if the people who received the free room were DVC members? They seem to be the only one receiving any special treatment these days.

Wow - we have not received any 'gifts' for our ABD. Something would be nice.

Me neither. When I booked a room through ABD it was double the price the hotel charged. The free DCL cruise was a promotion though so that's a little different. It was only available for certain itineraries and dates. In 2011 we received a $300 gift card during a similar promotion. That was when they had some dates that weren't selling well, which doesn't seem to be the case any longer. I haven't seen any of those types of promotions in the last 3 years.

Hello, Has anyone done this tour and arrived a day prior? Where did you stay? I saw a hotel "Hotel La Rovere" for a better price and it is just a block or so from the tour hotel. Found this on Trip Advisor. Thanks
Hi. My mother and son flew in four days/three nights prior to their ABD tour in August 2014 and stayed at Hotel la Rovere. We booked it through Booking.com so no payment was required until arriving. It was vey reasonably priced. The hotel and staff were fantastic. My mom emailed them and arranged for private transportation from the airport (more $ than taxi, but convenient after long day of travel) When they were delayed at the airport she called the hotel and they happily contacted the driver to let him know (twice) that they were not yet ready to be picked up. Their room was nice, more modern than I had anticipated from online pictures. The staff made great suggestions of places to eat within walking distance. As posted above, my mom and sons bags were delayed several days and Michelangelo (the clerk at la Rovere) called numerous times to the airport and took careful notes of all conversations for my mom. He really went above and beyond. The Rovere is in close in proximity to Gran Melia (within three-four blocks), however this area is situated on a hill (you can't tell this by looking at google maps) and there is a set of very steep stairs between Rovere and Melia if you walk the most direct route. (The most breathtaking views of Rome can also be seen from the top of these stairs too!) You can also access Melia from Rovere by an all-road route (going a bit north) which will take you into the Melia parking garage where you can then take their elevator. (BTW - prior to the trip My mom asked if ABD could pick them up from Rovere and take them to Melia on the tour start day: they said no.). As it turned out, they still didn't have any bags by the fourth day, so their transfer between hotels was easy! I'll just add that they enjoyed their extra days in Italy. They did the Angels and Demons tour in Rome the first full day and then went to Pompeii and Naples the next day.

Hi. My mother and son flew in four days/three nights prior to their ABD tour in August 2014 and stayed at Hotel la Rovere. We booked it through Booking.com so no payment was required until arriving. It was vey reasonably priced. The hotel and staff were fantastic. My mom emailed them and arranged for private transportation from the airport (more $ than taxi, but convenient after long day of travel) When they were delayed at the airport she called the hotel and they happily contacted the driver to let him know (twice) that they were not yet ready to be picked up. Their room was nice, more modern than I had anticipated from online pictures. The staff made great suggestions of places to eat within walking distance. As posted above, my mom and sons bags were delayed several days and Michelangelo (the clerk at la Rovere) called numerous times to the airport and took careful notes of all conversations for my mom. He really went above and beyond. The Rovere is in close in proximity to Gran Melia (within three-four blocks), however this area is situated on a hill (you can't tell this by looking at google maps) and there is a set of very steep stairs between Rovere and Melia if you walk the most direct route. (The most breathtaking views of Rome can also be seen from the top of these stairs too!) You can also access Melia from Rovere by an all-road route (going a bit north) which will take you into the Melia parking garage where you can then take their elevator. (BTW - prior to the trip My mom asked if ABD could pick them up from Rovere and take them to Melia on the tour start day: they said no.). As it turned out, they still didn't have any bags by the fourth day, so their transfer between hotels was easy! I'll just add that they enjoyed their extra days in Italy. They did the Angels and Demons tour in Rome the first full day and then went to Pompeii and Naples the next day.

Thank you very much, that was exactly the type of information I was looking for. I appreciate the time you took to respond. Have a great day.

I am concerned about the language. Do most people speak English?

I have traveled to Italy a number of times and many speak English. Most all in the business and restaurant business speak and give you English menus. Very easy to get around and the hotel will always get you a taxi if you need. I find Italy one of the easiest country to travel on your own. You'll have a wonderful time.

I have traveled to Italy a number of times and many speak English. Most all in the business and restaurant business speak and give you English menus. Very easy to get around and the hotel will always get you a taxi if you need. I find Italy one of the easiest country to travel on your own. You'll have a wonderful time.

Thank you
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter