Its like once you turn 22...

JCTigger

All it takes is faith and trust and a little bit o
you don't exhist any more.. I'm an adult special ed teacher in a classroom of all diffrent kinds of disabilities. I've noticed as I look at lesson plans, websites, even catalogs everything is meant for students under 22. It just gets very frustating and it makes me feel like "oh yeah so once your 22 you dont have a disability any more you no longer need help" I love my "guys" and try to get the world for them. My boss wants me to look into conferances for me to go to about the certain disabilities my guys have but everything I've found is based for students still in school. Thier education doesnt end just because they graduate school. I have some older students in my class that were in insituations because thats what you did with them when they were young but now they want to learn to read, they want to develope skills that they should have been taught when they were younger and now they are in their 50's plus and are starting from stratch. I'm just getting very annoyed and frustrated.... thanks for listening to my rant!!!

Jill

Just curious what kind of program/school you teach at.....

My DS is almost 23. Graduated high school one year ago. Was with me 24/7 for last year. Just this week started a day support program (because he was approved for funding). Feel like it's just a stepping stone while he is on the wait list at a bigger and more established program.......

but I have never really heard anyone around here refer to a program as an adult classroom. I am curious what your structure is, what you teach, etc.

And much magic to you :wizard: special education teachers are awesome !

I understand where you're coming from: my mother teaches at an adult education centre for those with disabilities, and she has great trouble finding material. Mostly she ends up finding a few things aimed at a younger audience, then has to find a way to customise them for her guys. If you want, I can ask her if she knows of any good websites or books.

Good luck :thumbsup2 !

Just wanted to pop in--

I work in Adult Ed- it's a GED program but we do adult literacy and have adult SpEd students that are referred to us by local agencies.

And yeah, I know what you mean. We just got some books that are good, but definately meant for high-schoolers.

Next time I'm at work I'll have to check our catalogs and post some company names. (PM me if I forget!) You've probably heard of them all, though. We use Steck-Vaughn and Contemporary alot, and New Reader's Press. But there were some others that were more specific life-skill materials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter