I've got a design, now I need some tips on transferring it

DisneyHoneyMoon

Mouseketeer
Well, I've read the FAQ's from Julia and Nick's mom about T-shirt iron-on transfers. However I have a few questions...

First, the thread here says to peel the paper off while it is still hot:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=892906

However the thread here says to wait until it is cool before peeling the paper off:
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=941186

So do I wait until the paper has cooled or do I pull it off when it is scorching hot?

Second, the graphic that I am putting on was also made by Julia and Nick's mom. I'll try to post a picture of it here:
pic.php

I have a Canon Pixma MP450 printer, could someone point me at the exact paper I need (i don't mind if it's expensive). I went to http://stores.ebay.com/Heat-Transfer-Supplies but it seems like there are a lot of options. I've read about dark transfer paper etc, for the design above, do I use a light colored or dark colored transfer paper? I'm planning on putting the design on regular 100% cotton white t-shirts.

Also, should I cut the paper around the design after it is printed but before I iron it on? Does the design adhere to the shirt better if I cut a block around the design or does it matter if I cut a more organic shape that follows the contours of the design?

Sorry for asking so many questions, as you can tell we're first timers with the t-shirt design. I just planned to have them printed professionally but after seeing the prices quotes of over 100 dollars I decided to just iron on! :rotfl2:

Thanks for any help you experts can give!
DisneyHoneyMoon

For white t-shirts, use the light colored transfer paper. Trim the design as close as you can. As far as whether to peel when hot or cool, follow the directions that come with the paper. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. I made a total of 24 shirts for my December trip with my own designs on the front and Kate's (Julia&Nick'sMom) character letter names on the back. Relax and have fun with it - it's addictive!

My understanding is that the hot or cold question is due to if you want it to have a shiny or matte finish....the hotter you rip it off, the more matte the finish w/the paper I used.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them, I'll give it a try and will post my results when done.

Thanks!
DisneyHoneyMoon

I think for your design I would use the light transfer paper. You will see the white untrimmed background on the dark paper more than the when using the light transfer paper. I should preface by saying that I've never actually tried an irregular shaped image with dark paper on a white T so maybe it wouldn't be that noticeable. Walmart sells a 3pk of dark transfer paper for around $5 if you wanted to try the dark sheets without a huge investment.

I love that design! What a cool idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter