Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I find this hilarious because I ALSO read it as slippers and was scouring the internet for photos of these said "slippers" for almost 30 minutes...
I went back to catch up on the last year at AKL here on DIS and I got very excited at the slippers activity and made a mental note to check it out… 🤣

Just made the switch from CSR to AKL for a couple nights on my early Dec trip! Crazy part is AKL was a never again for me :duck: but my park/resort touring schedule just kinda seemed to fit it and thought of Xmas decor at already cozy feeling AKL + a giraffe of gingerbread(!) got me to make the splurge when an AP rate finally popped up. So, now I’m trying to catch up on what to know about AKL!

Anyone care to chime in on the dinner at a bar situation? I see Victoria Falls and Cape Town Wine Bar in Jambi. I take it the burger that’s been mentioned at Victoria Falls is not the park quick service atrocity you only buy once? I’d love to be able to grab a bite without an ADR or waitlist involved & a bar suits me just fine as a solo traveler this trip. Do they both serve food? I do like the idea of the nightcap coffee drinks at the Cape Town Bar!

Just made the switch from CSR to AKL for a couple nights on my early Dec trip! Crazy part is AKL was a never again for me :duck: but my park/resort touring schedule just kinda seemed to fit it and thought of Xmas decor at already cozy feeling AKL + a giraffe of gingerbread(!) got me to make the splurge when an AP rate finally popped up. So, now I’m trying to catch up on what to know about AKL!

Anyone care to chime in on the dinner at a bar situation? I see Victoria Falls and Cape Town Wine Bar in Jambi. I take it the burger that’s been mentioned at Victoria Falls is not the park quick service atrocity you only buy once? I’d love to be able to grab a bite without an ADR or waitlist involved & a bar suits me just fine as a solo traveler this trip. Do they both serve food? I do like the idea of the nightcap coffee drinks at the Cape Town Bar!
My suggestion would be to walk (or take the internal shuttle) over to Sanaa at Kidani and sit in the lounge there for a really good meal.

The Tree is going up at Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo! This pic was posted online at 3AM!

AKL Kidani is also going up!

IMG_8182.jpeg

That's beautiful. It's our first stay here in December 2024 and we were worried that maybe the tree/decorations would detract from the hotel, but it looks like it will only add to the appeal.

Thank you.
You’ll love it. My first stay was at Jambo and it was pre-tree. Last month I stayed at POFQ but visited for dinner and the free was up - it’s absolutely breath-taking. I’ve booked AKL again for next year, if that means anything. 🥰

Hello everyone,

I am planning to do another wdw trip in February 2025. This year in February we stayed 1 week at Boardwalk villa (we rented points for a studio) and we absolutely loved the place. We loved the vibe and mainly the location. Walking distance to Hollywood and Epcot. Can't beat that.

For our next trip in February 2025 we were thinking about maybe going to AKL to also spend a week.
We would be renting dvc points. The fact the standard studio is about 24 points cheaper ($500ish less) compared to BWV is a good incentive.

I just have a few questions if you don't mind

1. we are planning to buy dvc points and rent a standard studio view. Nothing fancy since we will spend most of the days at the park. Does it make a difference if I pick Jambo or kidani?

2. My main concern with AKL is the transportation. I understand that I will have to get a bus if I want to get to any park. How busy and how frequent does the bus run? We don't rope drop or anything but we like to get at the parks at opening or close to opening time and we tend to stay until later. Is the bus a deal breaker? I am afraid I will have to wait a lot for a bus and/or they might be packed and I might have to wait for a second bus. We will be going in February and that specific week is usually low to moderate crowds.

3. Since AKL is a deluxe resort, we would take advantage of EEH, therefore my concern with question 2 and bus transportation.

4. How far is AKL from universal? I might take a day off wdw and take the family to universal so I would probably get an Uber?

5. For people that have been to both, is the extra money worth for BWV ? I guess you can't beat that location. Any pros of the AKL over BWV?

Thank you for all your help

Hello everyone,

I am planning to do another wdw trip in February 2025. This year in February we stayed 1 week at Boardwalk villa (we rented points for a studio) and we absolutely loved the place. We loved the vibe and mainly the location. Walking distance to Hollywood and Epcot. Can't beat that.

For our next trip in February 2025 we were thinking about maybe going to AKL to also spend a week.
We would be renting dvc points. The fact the standard studio is about 24 points cheaper ($500ish less) compared to BWV is a good incentive.

I just have a few questions if you don't mind

1. we are planning to buy dvc points and rent a standard studio view. Nothing fancy since we will spend most of the days at the park. Does it make a difference if I pick Jambo or kidani?
Some of the Jambo standard view studios have partial savanna views. But there are a lot more studios in Kidani than in Jambo because Jambo is mostly hotel, Kidani is all DVC.
2. My main concern with AKL is the transportation. I understand that I will have to get a bus if I want to get to any park. How busy and how frequent does the bus run? We don't rope drop or anything but we like to get at the parks at opening or close to opening time and we tend to stay until later. Is the bus a deal breaker? I am afraid I will have to wait a lot for a bus and/or they might be packed and I might have to wait for a second bus. We will be going in February and that specific week is usually low to moderate crowds.
The buses run the same as for any resort, roughly every 20 minutes. For the parks, it picks up at Kidani first, then at Jambo, then goes to the park. The first bus runs about one hour before early entry; if you want to be on the first bus, be at the stop 90 minutes before early entry opening time.
3. Since AKL is a deluxe resort, we would take advantage of EEH, therefore my concern with question 2 and bus transportation.
Nothing is as convenient as walking to 2 parks! Or having the option for boat or Skyliner.
4. How far is AKL from universal? I might take a day off wdw and take the family to universal so I would probably get an Uber?
AKL is the farthest WDW resort from UOR but isn’t bad. Rideshare would be the easiest.
5. For people that have been to both, is the extra money worth for BWV ? I guess you can't beat that location. Any pros of the AKL over BWV?
LOL, BWV is our home but AKV is my second favorite resort, because I always book a savanna view and spend time on the balcony watching animals! If you’re not going to do that and mostly want time in the parks, I’d think a near-park resort might be better. If not BWV, think about BRV/CCV, VGF or Poly. (As far as I’m concerned, BLT studios are way too small for more than two people.)
Thank you for all your help

Some of the Jambo standard view studios have partial savanna views. But there are a lot more studios in Kidani than in Jambo because Jambo is mostly hotel, Kidani is all DVC.

The buses run the same as for any resort, roughly every 20 minutes. For the parks, it picks up at Kidani first, then at Jambo, then goes to the park. The first bus runs about one hour before early entry; if you want to be on the first bus, be at the stop 90 minutes before early entry opening time.

Nothing is as convenient as walking to 2 parks! Or having the option for boat or Skyliner.

AKL is the farthest WDW resort from UOR but isn’t bad. Rideshare would be the easiest.

LOL, BWV is our home but AKV is my second favorite resort, because I always book a savanna view and spend time on the balcony watching animals! If you’re not going to do that and mostly want time in the parks, I’d think a near-park resort might be better. If not BWV, think about BRV/CCV, VGF or Poly. (As far as I’m concerned, BLT studios are way too small for more than two people.)
Super helpful, thank you ☺️

We would be renting dvc points. The fact the standard studio is about 24 points cheaper ($500ish less) compared to BWV is a good incentive....

1. we are planning to buy dvc points and rent a standard studio view.

This confused me at first. Typically there are two ways to make a DVC reservation:

a) You buy a DVC contract. You own the points. You make your own reservation.

b) You find a DVC owner (either on your own or by using an agency). The owner uses the owner's points to make a reservation for you.

Standard view studios are popular because they require fewer points than other units. Thus those rooms tend to go quickly.

If a DVC owner is making a reservation for themselves with their own points, they might "walk" the reservation if they really want it. This means that they make a reservation for nights earlier than they want, and keep modifying the reservation to move it forward until they get the dates they want. It requires effort. Owners sometimes do this for reservations that will be hard to book.

Upon re-reading your post, I realized that even though you use the word "buy" in # 1, you are not planning to buy a contract, you are planning to rent a reservation from an Owner.

This is my very long-winded way of saying: don't count on being able to rent a standard view studio. They might not be easy to book, and if an Owner is using their points for someone else, the Owner might not be willing to take the extra effort to obtain the reservation. The Owner could use the same points to book an easy reservation for someone else.

It works the same way for standard view studios at BoardWalk Villas.

It's possible that an Owner already booked an AKV standard view studio, contacted an agency, and is renting the reservation out as a "confirmed reservation." If the dates work for you, you would know that the reservation has already been made. But confirmed reservations usually are more expensive.

Edit: I was thinking of value studios, not standard studios, when I wrote this. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
This confused me at first. Typically there are two ways to make a DVC reservation:

a) You buy a DVC contract. You own the points. You make your own reservation.

b) You find a DVC owner (either on your own or by using an agency). The owner uses the owner's points to make a reservation for you.

Standard view studios are popular because they require fewer points than other units. Thus those rooms tend to go quickly.

If a DVC owner is making a reservation for themselves with their own points, they might "walk" the reservation if they really want it. This means that they make a reservation for nights earlier than they want, and keep modifying the reservation to move it forward until they get the dates they want. It requires effort. Owners sometimes do this for reservations that will be hard to book.

Upon re-reading your post, I realized that even though you use the word "buy" in # 1, you are not planning to buy a contract, you are planning to rent a reservation from an Owner.

This is my very long-winded way of saying: don't count on being able to rent a standard view studio. They might not be easy to book, and if an Owner is using their points for someone else, the Owner might not be willing to take the extra effort to obtain the reservation. The Owner could use the same points to book an easy reservation for someone else.

It works the same way for standard view studios at BoardWalk Villas.

It's possible that an Owner already booked an AKV standard view studio, contacted an agency, and is renting the reservation out as a "confirmed reservation." If the dates work for you, you would know that the reservation has already been made. But confirmed reservations usually are more expensive.
sorry, I meant buying points so the owner of the DVC "rents" the room for me.

sorry, I meant buying points so the owner of the DVC "rents" the room for me.
The other point made above is good. Standard view studios at Kidani aren’t as hard to get as standard view studios at BWV, but they do book up more quickly than savanna view because standard view is less expensive. So you might do your comparisons using the cost of a savanna view studio at AKV vs. a P/G view studio at BWV, and if you decide to rent at AKV and are able to get a standard view, consider it a bonus!

Surprise visit! Kiddo has no idea. We're staying at Jambo, almost booked Kidani. We've never been to AKL during the holidays. The one time we went for the holidays it was AS Music and kiddo got sick so we couldn't enjoy it. A short 4 day trip, but it'll be a blast! I'm picking him up from school next Tuesday and we're going to the airport!!

Just got back from our trip, we ended up doing a triple split stay, with one of our stays at the AKL in the Two Bedroom Suite on the hotel side. Before this trip I couldn't find much info at all on these non-DVC suites, so I wanted to post some pictures and info for anyone considering staying in one of them.

Here's the view looking towards the main entrance from the living area. It was nice having the kitchenette, and the dining table also came in handy when we didn't feel like eating in the club level lounge.

PXL_20231205_015509667.jpg

Here's the main living area just adjacent to the dining area. There was a large balcony off of this that spanned this room and the main bedroom next to this room. Oddly this balcony had the worst view of the two balconies, it looked out towards the back fence, odd since it was the main balcony with the cushioned chairs.
PXL_20231205_015505288.jpg

Here's the main bedroom, king size bed, and as mentioned previously opens onto the big balcony that spans this room and the living room. There are double wood doors to enter this room which I will admit did not do a great job blocking noise from the living room.
PXL_20231205_015458818.jpg

Here is the master bath, has a soaking tub and behind that glass door is a huge shower. There is a double vanity, just cut off in the picture. Also cut off from the picture is the door to the toilet room. The vanities in this room were oddly tall, like I'm 5'9" and they came halfway up my torso, it was a bit weird. :rotfl:

PXL_20231205_015447234.jpg

Here is the second bedroom, it has two queen beds, and its own balcony that looks out onto the Arusha Savanna. This balcony had the better view of the two, but it was a standard size balcony and had the metal chairs instead of the cushioned.
PXL_20231205_015528370.jpg

Here is the second bedroom's bathroom, pretty standard.
PXL_20231205_015524986.jpg

And lastly, here is the half bath just off the living area.
PXL_20231205_015517835.jpg

The room itself was really large, we had moved over here from the two bedroom suite at the Boardwalk, and this room was much larger. Loved having all the space to spread out, and of course loved watching the animals from our balconies. The only downside to these rooms are they are literally the last rooms in the hotel, so the walk from the lounge was annoyingly long. We figured with the cost of these two bedroom suites they would try to make the location a bit more convenient to everything, but nope, these are the furthest rooms from the lobby. Because of this we ended up using the club level lounge a lot less than we did at the other hotels since it was just a pain to walk over there throughout the day. Other than that our stay here was great, it was very quite and just a super relaxing part of our trip.

If anyone has any questions please let me know!

@VAtink that is gorgeous, thank you for sharing your pics! My husband and I are celebrating our 15th this coming year and we were thinking of doing 1 week at WDW with our son who's 11. We've only done a 1bed and that for our 10th, because we got a steal of a deal on it. Would you say it's worth it for a special occasion? We've never stayed at a Club-level room either because it just seems like an extra waste of money for us even when we do enjoy long relaxing resort days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter