Jambo vs. Kidani?

Missyrose

DIS Veteran
Hi DVCers,
I'm a newbie who is renting points for the first time and I'm looking at staying at AKV. I was wondering if you could tell me the differences between Jambo and Kidani? I know Jambo is located in the main resort building, does that make Jambo harder to get into?

We've stayed at both and prefer Jambo (I don't think it's necessarily harder to get into tho). We use studios and I didn't like the bathroom layout at Kidani. I can't speak to how the bathroom is laid out in larger villas. But in the studios at Kidani there is a main door into the bathroom and there's a "water closet" room with JUST the toilet - but so the sink area is in the room with the tub / shower. At Jambo it is a more common setup with the tub / shower in a room along with the toilet which leaves the sink area out in the main part of the studio - so it's available for use while someone else is using the main bathroom. I guess that's just a little quirk I have but I think it's more useful at Jambo to not have to wait on someone using the shower.

The store at Jambo is also about 5x the size of the one at Kidani. The one at Kidani is dinky and doesn't have much merchandise. Likewise, the lobby at Jambo is most impressive while the one at Kidani is underwhelming at best. Finally, there is no CS restaurant at Kidani so you either need to cook in your villa, make a TS ressie at Sanaa or schlep over to Jambo to go to Boma or to the Mara (the CS place there which is WONDERFUL BTW). (It's about a 10 min. walk between the 2 or you can wait for the bus.)

I can think of 2 Pros for Kidani - which would be the splash play area for little kids if you have toddlers. Also, since the 2 resorts share buses and it is the first bus stop so it's easier to get on the bus at peak times and you're more likely to get a SEAT.

Thanks for the info Annie! We're two adults, so we'll just be in a studio too. Is Jambo hard to get into at the seven-month mark?

Thanks for the info Annie! We're two adults, so we'll just be in a studio too. Is Jambo hard to get into at the seven-month mark?

I was able to rent points in a studio at AKL in the Jambo House at the 7 month mark. There were no CL left but there was a savannah view. We have a giraffe right outside our balcony many nights. We liked having Boma at Jambo and preferred the lobby much more. That being said, we did take the shuttle to Kidani to sit at the pool bar one day. We both said that if our children were coming we would probably do Kidani because we found the pool area to be more kid friendly.

Hope that helps.

From my experience, it is easier to get into Jambo. We suddenly made up our mind to go to WDW early Jan and I was told I can get a week at Jambo but not at Kidani and I'm basing my opinion on that. Some others might have different opinions.

For our family, we prefer Kidani as keep in mind, only the 4th and 5th floor in Jambo is available for DVC. We were on the 5th and found the Savanah view not the greatest as at Kidani we were on the ground floor. Also for kids, the Community Hall is way better at Kidani.

Bottom line is, it will be fun wherever you are. Enjoy!

We prefer Kidani, mostly for the lower floor views, but also because it just seems quieter & much more relaxing than Jambo. We always have a rental car so we request a room close to Jambo so that we can easily walk over there for a meal or two.

If you are only getting studio, I would suggest Jambo (and if savanna view request to be on Zebra Trail overlooking Arusha savanna). It gives you the larger lobby, larger store, three restaurants (sit down, buffet, and counter service), the larger pool with lots of places to find shade). The studios at both are about the same size.

If getting 1 or 2BR would suggest Kidani (and request close to lobby if savanna view which gives you excellent view of Sunset Savanna). Those are about 100 sq ft larger than the ones at Jambo and you get extra bathroom and more closet space than the ones at Jambo. Kidani has only one restaurant, a sit down named Sanaa but it is one of the best at WDW. For kids, it has an elaborate water play area near the pool, and the pool has a longer slide than Jambo. Kidani is also the first stop of the busses going to the parks (Jambo is first stop for DD bus).

If you are getting Grand Villa (the 3BR), then Jambo offers the best on site.

One is not usually more difficult than other to get into.

We were able to book a standard studio for spring break of 2010 at the 6 1/2 mo. mark and could've had either Jambo or Kidani. We chose Kidani that time because we'd already tried Jambo a couple of times.

(Oh and I requested a standard view not savanna because it was a pricey time of year & we were trying to conserve points. I don't remember if it was available or not since we got what I asked for.)

Thanks everyone for all the info! I think we're leaning toward a studio in Jambo. I'm so excited to try this resort! :yay:

Thanks everyone for all the info! I think we're leaning toward a studio in Jambo. I'm so excited to try this resort! :yay:

One of my favorite resorts. We did a split stay and stayed here and then went to the BCV. We liked AKL MUCH better. We didn't think we would since it was further away from everything but we really did.

I've never had trouble booking either at the 6 month mark but I always book 2br's.

I prefer Kidani, it's a bit brighter in decor than Jambo and the lay out of the villas are more to my liking. I think the underground parking at Kidani is fantastic even more so in Summer.

The only criticism I have about Kidani is that for whatever reason, a new resort, did they not plan a bigger pool. Though small, it's not a deal breaker, I still love the resort.

I cook in our villa but if QS was a true need Jambo would be the more convenient resort.

We prefer KV as we like to get picked up first and stops first too. The pool is nice too. We like the fact that the mug refill is at the store. We like the Mara and usually eat lunch there and just either walk back or take the shuttle. We do not find it hard to go between the 2 resorts.

If you are renting a car Kidani is a must. Parking is right under the rooms, where it is a parking lot, could be hall ways away from your car.

If there were kids, which it sounds like a no;Kidani's pool is I think second only to SAB.

If there are no kids and no rental cars, I think 10000% Jambo, yes to either I'd pick Kidani.

Just today I booked AKV - Jambo studio with savannah view for my brother for this coming March! It's just him and his daughter. I was surprised but elated. :banana: This will be the first time for both at Disney so I'm very excited a studio w/ savannah was available for the week they requested.

And we leave in 11 days for my families first visit to AKV :cool1: Just figured I'd share that as well. ;) We can't wait...hoping we get to see lots of the animals roaming about.

:tink:

For a Studio my first choice would be Jambo. No reason not to be in the heart of it all.

But for a One Bedroom or larger I think Kidani is better due to the improved villa design. Many of the converted rooms at Jambo leave something to be desired. In a Studio it's not terribly noticeable. Might have a wardrobe instead of a closet. But at Kidani the larger villas have more sq ft than Jambo, extra bathroom, better master bath setup, etc.

We have stayed at both. My wife preferred Jambo because it has the quick counter service (we walked over every morning for breakfast which was nice also) Kidani is great if you want to be a bit more secluded. you cant go wrong either way although we would probably go with Jambo next time.

It depends on what you like. Jambo has everything right there BUT its much much much busier then kidani. Its also a deluxe hotel so jambo will be very busy at times.

Kidani only has sanaa but its much quieter and kidani gets picked up first for the bus so your more likely to get a seat. I have seen buses full before even getting to jambo so keep that in mind.

In my opinion its not that far to walk to jambo house from kidani to eat lunch at mara.Also I feel kidanis pool is better also.

Here's my take on the two resorts:
Comparison of Jambo and Kidani

Jambo:
large impressive lobby, larger gift shop
busier atmosphere
larger pool, wimpy slide (IMHO)
steam room in workout area
counter service at Mara
value and concierge rooms
rooms retrofitted from existing hotel rooms
Master bath has shower/jetted tub combo plus toilet in one room (toilet is spilt off)
Parking in lots
Bus to DTD first stop
Rooms on 5th floor, except for 5 2br lockoffs on 6th for concierge

Kidani:
smaller, more intimate lobby and gift shop
quieter atmosphere
splash area at pool, and better slide (IMHO)
rooms designed for DVC
extra bath in one and two bedrooms
separate shower and jetted tub in master bath
community hall
Under building parking
Park busses first stop
Rooms on floors 2 through 4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter