January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part III !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never stayed at Wilderness Lodge, but we had a nice look at it when we ate at Whispering Canyons, and it really is beautiful. I would love to stay there someday. Right now, I'm happy to be at POP, and can't even really believe we're going to Disney at all!

Welcome to all the new (and returning:thumbsup2 ) Snowbirds!!!:cheer2:

Sarah I'm glad everything went well for you and you are recovering nicley. I hope Kayte is doing just as well as you!

Today was a yucky rainy day and I spent most of it running errands. :upsidedow

Forgive me I was too lazy to quote but I remember someone asking about cakes while they were down there. I'm just starting to look into this too because it will be my husband's birthday while we are down there. I am trying to come up with something special to do for him- if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!!!! So far I just have a lunch scheduled for Coral Reef. :confused3

My hubby has been talking Disney all day- he finally came around and is starting to get excited! Although he rolled his eyes when I told him that 10 weeks from today we would be enjoying our first day at WDW.:rolleyes1

Speaking of celebrations....I bet the bakery business ought to do well during their celebrate theme. Unfortunately for us...we can't celebrate any special b-days, anniversaries-etc in Jan. All we can celebrate is the fact that we will be there!!!!! YEAH!:cheer2:

do you think the week following new years will be busy now that they have offered this great deal. We have never been in January and were hoping it would be really quiet in the parks. I am thinking it is going to be busy because there were a few ADR that I was unable to get for our trip. Opinions anyone? Thanks.

Ronda

I hear the resorts are quite full around the marathon-parks not though. We went a few years ago in Jan & it was great. I guess between New Years, marathon, MLK day & this deal Jan may be more crowded than normal. But hey, you never know.

:welcome: new snowbird friends!!

I am going to have to go to WDW about 30 more times so I can try all the resorts, all the restaurants, all the character meals...:laughing:

As far as expected crowds, since the economy is so bad, even the great deal WDW is offering may not be enough to get the parks full. I know there are some of us here who have been reconsidering going even with the deal based on personal circumstances, so I would guess that other than special typically busy times, i.e. marathon, MLK, Holidays, it might not be so bad! At least that's what I'm hoping for the end of Jan! :) I do have some concerns about the super bowl being in Tampa Feb 1, but I have read so many conflicting theories and reports, I just don't care anymore. I've been when it's been crowded and when it's not, and I still get to be at WDW having fun, so it's all good!

I was over on the Dining thread (yup, I venture elsewhere occasionally!) and saw a lot of comparisons between DDP and QSDP. Now I'm starting to second guess myself as to which I want. We were pretty sure on the QS plan based on that we don't do too many TS meals. I don't like to have to be in a certain place at a certain time...but we do have three ADRs already out of a 6 night stay. Does anyone have any experience in walking up to TS restaurants and getting in? I would do it at an "off time", but now I'm thinking could I do DDP without making a lot of ADRs/commitments? See this is what happens when I explore the DIS boards too much! It gets me thinking, and that always means more planning and stressing! Do I really have to study menus and do the math? Please, don't make me do math!!!:eek:

On a happy note, I got to babysit a beautiful 9 month old girl for a couple hours tonight! :) She was a doll, played with my girls, freaked out our dog a little, and was so much fun!! And just when she was getting tired, her parents came to take her home! It was perfect! LOL :)

Hi everyone! I'm back safe and sound from my Girls Weekend. We had a blast, but I am whipped! I'll check back in tomorrow.:goodvibes

We are going with the QS this trip. I like having reservations but sometimes it's such a pain to rush to the restaurant!!! We'll try it & see. I suppose if it's not too crowded you could walk in to most restaurants. My husband wasn't really for it but I reminded him "no tips" & then he said...well I guess we won't starve! I liked the dining plan when it included tips-it was great not digging deep into your pockets when it came time to eat. This last trip-free dining, but no app. & no tips included. So being that we ate at $$ restaurants we had to leave a decent tip-close to what a QS might cost. So, we'll try it this trip if it wasn't really worth it -next trip we'll go back to regular dining.

Just booked a "boys" trip to Disney for my 36th birthday, so now just counting down the days until my son and I get to visit our favorite place!

Just booked a "boys" trip to Disney for my 36th birthday, so now just counting down the days until my son and I get to visit our favorite place!

What a great idea! That sounds so cool. Maybe someday DH would let me take DDs for a "girls" trip. But he'd be SO jealous if he couldn't go too! :)

We are going with the QS this trip. I like having reservations but sometimes it's such a pain to rush to the restaurant!!! We'll try it & see. I suppose if it's not too crowded you could walk in to most restaurants. My husband wasn't really for it but I reminded him "no tips" & then he said...well I guess we won't starve! I liked the dining plan when it included tips-it was great not digging deep into your pockets when it came time to eat. This last trip-free dining, but no app. & no tips included. So being that we ate at $$ restaurants we had to leave a decent tip-close to what a QS might cost. So, we'll try it this trip if it wasn't really worth it -next trip we'll go back to regular dining.

Yeah, now that I think about the tips aspect, it probably would be better for us to do QS and a couple OOP meals. DH and I often share stuff, so when we go to LeCellier we don't have to spend a fortune OOP anyway. The other places are a set price (Mama Melrose Fantasmic pkg) and a buffet. We'll just wing it! That's what we usually do anyway! I would rather know that I don't have to pay for much of anything if I have 2 CS and 2 snacks per day, I should be able to manage not to spend too much more on food. The whole thing is giving me a headache! :headache: It's just like trying to decide whether to switch resorts!

Morning, Snowbirds!!

50 days until we leave for Disney!!:woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited that I can't sleep this morning!

Hey Mindy! Glad to know you are getting that taken care of!! It's soooo nice to be finished with at least my children. Every body elses is less pressure becuase I don't have to hide it!!!
I know what you mean! I have NO WHERE to hide his presents. he's super nosey and very perceptive so i can't pull anything past him. For now, my trunk is going to have to serve the purpose.

Ok, just tried to respond & lost my page???? Anyway... we chose to go to WL instead of our favorite Poly b/c of prices. I'm hoping our stay will be wonderful & may become a new favorite for us. I am concerned about the standard views...they don't look too promising. I think I may up-grade. I don't want a small dormer like balcony either-that would be too claustrophobic for me!!! I guess we'll see!!!
We chose to switch for the same reason. With the gift card, we were looking at $1300. That's enough to go to Disney a second time this year . . . hmmmm :rolleyes1 When we booked, they only had a courtyard view available. Is that the same as the standard view?

I think going to Disney IS a reason to celebrate! :woohoo:

I agree! Any time you go to Disney, no matter where you stay, it's a reason to celebrate :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Morning, Snowbirds!!

50 days until we leave for Disney!!:woohoo: :woohoo: I'm so excited that I can't sleep this morning!

I know what you mean! I have NO WHERE to hide his presents. he's super nosey and very perceptive so i can't pull anything past him. For now, my trunk is going to have to serve the purpose.

We chose to switch for the same reason. With the gift card, we were looking at $1300. That's enough to go to Disney a second time this year . . . hmmmm :rolleyes1 When we booked, they only had a courtyard view available. Is that the same as the standard view?

I agree! Any time you go to Disney, no matter where you stay, it's a reason to celebrate :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Don't know much about WL usually stay at the Poly...but just too much $$$ right now. Anyway, I think the courtyard view is better!!! Standard is the basic-cheapest. I was even thinking of trying to upgrade, but I'm just not sure. Especially since I went with a 10 day base ticket...dumb dumb-I know!:scared: I now will have to change that...more $$. We have never stayed there so I guess we will just hope for the best. Not really liking the standard view pics I've been seeing. Some of the woods views aren't that great either. So your courtyard view room..YEAH!!!! for you.:goodvibes

Sarah, so glad to konw you are home and your surgery went! Hope you can eat soon! :goodvibes

Anyways Sarah I'm glad to hear your surgery went well!! I hope you get pleny of rest this weekend!!!!

Thanks everyone!!! :goodvibes

I have resumed eating like a normal person. I had my own air-popped popcorn, but none of this popcorn:: yet. DH went to get me an eggnog milkshake, but our McD's only has PUMPKIN PIE.... which actually sounds really good but I wanted eggnog, gosh darnit!! ;)

I am sorer than I expected. I guess I listened to the surgeons who can talk the talk, but how many of them have walked the walk? And my DH also pointed out that not being able to eat all of Friday probably slows my recovery down a bit.

Tomorrow is DEFINITELY going to end up being a sick day!! I'm going to need a day off to recover from my recovering!

But Disney: my brother decided to come along, so we're doing some tweaking of our ADRs (that I posted a little while ago). I had originally planned for four of us to eat at Raglan Road the night after the marathon but now that there are FIVE of us, well, there's nothing available after 5pm. Egads. So we have a reservation for Boatwright's. But all of us will be in Epcot that day and while we're CERTAINLY running late for ressies, does anyone have any favorites in Epcot (not Rose & Crown and not LeCellier) or Epcot resorts that are on the DP?

HEY! It's snowing! Who said it could?!

Oh that sounds like so much fun!

XXX
I haven't read all the posts from my last time on here, but from what I can gather everyone seems to be doing ok.

Sarah- sounds like things went well, here's for a fast and safe recovery!:wizard:

Well I decided to skip out on church this morning, I know...bad! But I was babysitting last night and didn't get home until 2:30am. I'll be working the early shift from now til Christmas (5am - 1:30) so I just wanted to sleep in this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to make me some french toast for breakfast!

We are taking the kids to Disney 1/14-1/21 staying at the Poly. The kids don't know that we are going, I'm trying to keep it a secret until Christmas. Right now I'm trying to figure out when and where we will be dining while there. It will be so nice to be able to come on here and talk about our trip since I can't talk about it at home.

Jeanne'

Can I join the list snowbirds??? We will be staying at WL Jan 26-Feb 1.
Just booked a few days ago...hope it's not too late to join in:confused3

:welcome: to all the new Snowbirds!! :cool1: WIDisneyFan - what are your dates?

I will get you all added to the ever-growing lists!! They were last posted on page 229 if you'd like to go back and see who might be there at the same time as you! :goodvibes

DH went to get me an eggnog milkshake, but our McD's only has PUMPKIN PIE.... which actually sounds really good but I wanted eggnog, gosh darnit!! ;)
!

Hold up! Pumpkin pie milkshake???? Oh, please tell me that will still be around when I hit the USA!!!! I would love to try that! There was a local ice cream parlor/diner near me in central PA that sold Pumpkin soft serve ice cream. Oh, it was to die for!!!!

So good to see you all today! Only 3 new pages...that I can keep up with!:lmao:

I think my balance is due November 21. I better check on that!:rolleyes1

I'm totally ready for Christmas too! :santa: Just found out a friend of ours is giving us a Wii! He doesn't want the kids to know it's from him, so it'll be wrapped under the tree from Santa. My kids only get 3 gifts from santa each year, so that pretty much takes care of all the older 3 this year! I've been shopping throughout the year. The Wii finishes it off! I can't wait to get that thing! I know I'm going to love it!!!!! This friend is being so kind and generous...I'm always amazed at how kind people are!:goodvibes

Hope you all are having a wonderful day! My day is winding down and I've got some computer work to finish up befored heading off to bed! I'll try to stop back by!:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter