January 2022 Trip Reports

Looks like you were pretty close on the February comment. :)

j
Looks like you were pretty close on the February comment. :)

j
Jim based on my experience with Disney's Major Anniversary Celebrations ie The 15 , 20 ,and 25 Years I anticipated that Disney would do the 50th up extremely well and large. Our TA had our dates prior to our Jan 2019 departure to come home and Pandemic Outbreak.
The reduced dining options ( Table Service specific, Lucille cooks all year this is her vacation too ). Coupled with the re imagined presentation of so many of the attractions and events we have come to enjoy , cutting our stay short a week is looking like a more gooderer option and adding it to next years trip might be a better option

I completely understand, Mike. I originally booked 2 weeks around Oct 1 to be there for the 50th. DW wasn't interested in coming down again in the heat and the events on the actual 50th seemed to be anticlimactic, so we moved it to January. We have considered shortening too. Partly to save vacation time and $$ and spend more time (and money) in Europe next Summer. Ultimately, DW decided to work part of the time we are gone and money wasn't ever really the issue.

Finally decided to keep both weeks and here we are. DS and I are really looking forward to a nice, relaxed, but full trip.

j

Last edited:
Well it's 513am and I have finished making my ADR's at the 60 day+10 window this morning.

Monday - arrival day at Disney Springs/Terralina Crafted Italian (dinner)
Tuesday - park day at Magic Kingdom/The Plaza (lunch)
Wednesday - Trader Sam's (no reservation) in the evening at the request of DD
Thursday - resort day at Beach Club Resort/Beaches n Cream (lunch) then to Epcot Intl Gateway for Skyliner ride
Friday - departure day

Question - I want anybody's opinion.

In a theme park and requesting a 1230pm reservation for a table service lunch, the system gives you the choice of 1130am or 130pm. Which would you choose and why?

If we get a few opinions, I'll let you know what I did and why.

Bama Ed

PS - still got to put in a request for a specific Tent site in 1500. Then the planning should be finished.

I would pick 1:30 then show up early. If you pick 11:30 and show up late you might get charged a no show fee. It is a risk though as they still might nit seat you till close to 1:30.

Re-reading this thread from post #1 and to comment on a few things I missed:

Jim, I see you have Raglan Road in your ADR plans. When you check in, ask for a table in the main room (it has a few corners and booths that don't have good sight lines). It may mean you wait a few minutes longer but it's worth it.

Mike, leave the scrapple at home please. I won't be eating any. Ever. Period.

Beaches n Cream is our only repeat (so we could ride the Skyliner which was something DD has not done yet). DW and I did lunch there (and Skyliner) back at the October 2020 Fort DISMeet. So if it were up to me, we wouldn't repeat so soon but we are for DD. And they do offer a Reuben on the menu so there is that. :scratchin

Terralina is new for us but I might swing by RR beforehand while my girls run through the shops, buy a pint at the outside pour, and listen to the music from the outside courtyard - just for old time's sake. Then head over to Terralina for dinner.

In a theme park and requesting a 1230pm reservation for a table service lunch, the system gives you the choice of 1130am or 130pm. Which would you choose and why?
I would also go with 1:30. The parks open later in January. 9am. I normally am at work between 6-7am and I eat breakfast early. I don't eat lunch or just have something very small around 11-12. On vacation, I'll sleep in and eat a later breakfast (8-9am) and then have a mid afternoon lunch/dinner. 1130 I wouldn't be hungry yet. 1:30pm would be about right.
Jim, I see you have Raglan Road in your ADR plans. When you check in, ask for a table in the main room (it has a few corners and booths that don't have good sight lines). It may mean you wait a few minutes longer but it's worth it.

Beaches n Cream is our only repeat (so we could ride the Skyliner which was something DD has not done yet).
I've followed your advice on RR, so I already had that in my notes about a main room table.

I just checked and I have a HS reservation on your Beaches and Cream day. I have never been to Beaches and Cream. We may try to meet up. I'm always in for good ice cream. We can talk that week.

I'll also have to check into Terralina. I looked at Maria and Enzo's and decided to pass. I love Italian food, but St Louis has some amazing old school Italian places that make you a little jaded.

j

Last edited:
...Question I want anybody's opinion.

Bama Ed

PS - still got to put in a request for a specific Tent site in 1500. Then the planning should be finished.
Ed I am going to recommend against the common consensus . By having a Lunch ADR at 11:30 you give yourself a longer time before your Blue Plate Special Dinner ADR . Now that you are retired I Thunkeded you would have learned that in the Retiree's Handbook you got with your AARP membership

Wednesday - Trader Sam's (no reservation) in the evening at the request of DD
Excellent choice. We took DD their in October. It's kinda like camping, sorta, you meet new people and just have a great time.
We met some super nice, friendly, funny people and ended being there about 3 hours :thumbsup2:rotfl::drinking1

Excellent choice. We took DD their in October. It's kinda like camping, sorta, you meet new people and just have a great time.
We met some super nice, friendly, funny people and ended being there about 3 hours :thumbsup2:rotfl::drinking1

I agree, Joe. I've been to Trader Sam's with my dad when he accompanied me on one of my high school band parent trips. We had a blast (and I came home with the Krakatoa souvenir glass). But now that DD is over 21, she want's to live a little, WDW-style (on my tab) and since she endured a semester as a Cast Member in the College Program, I'll oblige her.

And I like your description about being like camping - Dad and I had the same experience.

ED

PS - which time would you choose for lunch? The early or late one?

I would select 11:30 & miss breakfast. Most people will not eat lunch this early. You will have time to walk off your lunch & will be ready for evening meal.

Thanks to the Disney Visa and Sam's Club, our January trip is paid in full. We had enough on the Disney Visa to cover half. Sam's was running $50 off on $500 gift cards yesterday. 10% off is incredible for Disney cards. It stated "supplies are limited". They were on-line only and according to the forums, were gone in 8 seconds. They went on sale at 12:00 midnight Thanksgiving day and were reportedly gone at 12:00:08. Sam's does still have the regular 3% off cards though. $200 off would have been nice, but I'll take the $60. That should pay for lunch at one of the food trucks.

20211126_085621_copy_2016x1134.jpg

j

Okay. With regards to the question above that I posed, I went for the LATER time (around 130pm). Here was my thoughts (and the rest of our planned day):

1. Getting around to ride rides and see shows is easiest (least waits) in the morning. An 1130am dining time, if I had taken it, means you have to break off from your plan around 11am to make sure you can be near the restaurant by 1130am thus we want to get as much done before lunch as we can. So for our day in the MK, while I'm concerned we might miss the start of the to-be-reinstated afternoon parade which used to run at 2pm, I don't know if it will be in place by the time our park day rolls around. DD loved the afternoon parade.

2. So we will rope drop hopefully getting past the hub at 830am and hit as much as we can early (am I right in understanding only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland are open early?). And ride that wave as best we can till lunchtime. Which prolly means Peter Pan, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates (and then see where we are).

3. Both DD and I want to get a foot-long hot dog at Casey's for a QS dinner.

4. All of us are agreed that SDMT is NOT a requirement (done that many times). After lunch is time for Peoplemover (maybe multiple times), Carousel, Hall of Presidents, Country Bears, Steam Boat, and Tiki Birds - all of which are usually no/short wait rides/shows in the afternoons.

5. We would probably end up in the stand-by line for Space Mountain to finish the night. I've never cared one rat's rear end for any of the past few castle projections/fireworks shows. DW doesn't care, DD not so interested in the latest one (whatever it's called).

Then linger at the hub after the official close time and try to do our own Cinderella Castle Kiss Goodnight at the hub which is usually still open for an hour after the official close time.

Bama Ed

PS - so about 12 hours in the park. It wasn't that long ago we got into MK a few minutes before 8am and left at 2am which was 18 HOURS in the park. It felt great but I was ready to leave by 2am - but had to stay to say I did it.

Last edited:
Looks like a pretty good plan. They say MK is the only park where Genie+ makes sense, but I think I'll try the rope drop approach and see how it goes. I can always spend the $$ for our next day there. I'm hoping crowds are back down by the middle of January.

j

Checked on my SunPass account this morning. Made sure the license plate and credit info was still accurate/current. Good to go!

We will hit both coasts on this trip and want to visit/climb some more lighthouses (and add to my refrigerator magnet collection)

Jim, is it too early to check the weather forecast for South Florida now? I mean I could wait until a week before we arrive but it would likely still change anyway. Accuweather and Weather Channel both have a "monthly" forecast view.

Ed

It Marathon weekend!!! Of course it is NOT too early to check the weather. I have to be prepared for everything.

Since we are driving the car down this time and driving to Miami for the cruise, we got ourselves a Peach Pass. It allows us to use the toll lanes in Atlanta and is compatible with Sun Pass so we are good for now with going through tolls. Won't help us with the RV but I am not sure when we will be back at the fort. Am not really expecting to be there in 2022 now.

Jim, is it too early to check the weather forecast for South Florida now?
Too early?!? I've been watching it for the last few weeks. I'm also watching the forecast for up here. I need to make sure I get the cover off the camper before it might get snowed and frozen on. So far, we have had a very warm winter. No snow yet and that is unusual for early December. Even the 10-14 day forecast only shows 1 day with a chance of flurries.

I need to look into my E-Pass. I have a sticker on the Explorer that will be on the trailer behind the coach. Not sure how that will work. Can I just sail through and it will get picked up and charged?

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter