Jay Flight now departing---this is your Captain...

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
Missing my wings, but ready to enjoy the drive. Departing at 6 AM tomorrow for a long day to make it to Carolina Crossroads RV Resort for the night. Going to be making more use of the trailer on the road this time (boys always liked staying in hotels with free breakfast buffets during our north to south drives). This year, will take a little bit of fresh water with me on the road for toilet and sink (I NEVER actually used my freshwater holding tank in 5 years on my last trailer...always just pulled in to public rest areas, McDonald's bathrooms a lot, etc). Second night will be St. Mary's KOA, and third night Kissimmee KOA before arriving my parents driveway on Wednesday afternoon. Will pop into Disney Springs with our new Mickey masks and check it out.. planning Earl of Sandwich for lunch and a bunch of snacks (hopefully Joffrey's donuts!!--but DW wants Joffrey's specialty lattes). Boys need to get their "Bibo" and "Melon Frosty" from the Coke store which thankfully opened a few days ago. Looks like daily chances of scattered summer T-storms type weather for the drive, but no major systems, so hopefully a mostly "smooth flight". So, "Jimmy to tower..we are ready for takeoff." *insert Soarin' music* (I wish that music played at my real flying job.....)

Jim you will LOVE Carolina Crossroads. It is just shy of 300 miles from us and is our 1st and last stop when we go to Disney. I will recommend asking any site other than 5 or 10 due to rain and they tend to puddle up badly. I believe site 7 has the Gazebo. Dog Park is very nice but often has no collection bags. Staff is super friendly and helpful. If you need any other info pm me.
Last bit of info Pilot/Flying J at exit 4 in Va. is RV friendly avoid price increase of NC.. The one at exit 170 in SC has RV lanes and again at 5 in SC is RV friendly
Have a safe trip

Jim you will LOVE Carolina Crossroads. It is just shy of 300 miles from us and is our 1st and last stop when we go to Disney. I will recommend asking any site other than 5 or 10 due to rain and they tend to puddle up badly. I believe site 7 has the Gazebo. Dog Park is very nice but often has no collection bags. Staff is super friendly and helpful. If you need any other info pm me.
Last bit of info Pilot/Flying J at exit 4 in Va. is RV friendly avoid price increase of NC.. The one at exit 170 in SC has RV lanes and again at 5 in SC is RV friendly
Have a safe trip
Thanks for the flying J/Pilot tips. Have used Carolina Crossroads as overnight pull thru last 2 years returning from FL as well as about 5 years ago. Will use it both up and back on this trip. I am always after hours arrival and before opening departure, so have never met them in person. However, the gentleman I speak with every time on the phone is very friendly. I never really paid attention much to the site I was in yet as I get one of those pull thru’s just to right if office when I am pulling in (usually in dark 😴)... which ever one they assign me. Haven’t been there in the rain, yet (found something wood and knocked). Won’t deny that trying to figure out where water hook up was that first time 5 years ago in the dark was “fun”... lol.

Left at 6:30 this morning... not bad. Been good weather and good driving with light traffic. Stopped for lunch at the “Mason Dixon Welcome Center” rest area on US 15 just into Maryland from PA... trailer staying cool inside with the vent fan going and partial cloud cover along the way... perfect for making lunch and using bathroom, etc... should be a nice early arrival to Crossroads for a break to relax.
15963C46-70DE-4466-BE09-D227565E7931.jpeg

We stayed at the St Mary's KOA a couple years ago. Nice campground. We arrived late that evening and was met by a campground host who took us to our site and then asked if we needed any help getting set up. What was really convenient is the Pilot Travel Center with RV lanes that is directly across from the Scrubby Bluff Rd turn into the campground. Easy to fill up on your way into the campground or as you leave. JMO

Steve

62E9E264-71D4-42C6-8C53-E9EFB385F6DF.jpeg

Got to Crossroads at about 5:30. Picked up dinner at Wendy’s first and had it on the picnic table here. Boys are off with mom to play pool at the covered rec hall.

Rest of drive not too bad except a back up on 95 between Richmond and D.C. from earlier accident, I had looked on Google maps day before and saw lots of yellow and red on that stretch northbound. Saw lots of slow backed up traffic in person there today. Looks like might be construction zone related. Will watch it next few days and may opt for 95-26-81 for return to Northeast if it stays that way... probably a wash on end, but rather be moving through nicer scenery. I recall in the past few years someone talking about a nice CG they stay at along 81 that was easy pull through for overnight... want to say it was in Carolina’s, but can’t recall for sure. Would want it to be a basically halfway point FL back to southern New England. If I can’t find it, will probably ask in a new thread (in case I do return that route instead of 95).

Fort Chiswell RV Park is at the junction of 77 and 81 if you come up that way. One of our usual stops.

We stayed at the St Mary's KOA a couple years ago. Nice campground. We arrived late that evening and was met by a campground host who took us to our site and then asked if we needed any help getting set up. What was really convenient is the Pilot Travel Center with RV lanes that is directly across from the Scrubby Bluff Rd turn into the campground. Easy to fill up on your way into the campground or as you leave. JMO

Steve
I have gassed up there before as well.

Fort Chiswell RV Park is at the junction of 77 and 81 if you come up that way. One of our usual stops.
That location looks perfect... times are nearly equal to what we do day 1 and 2 back up 95 through Crossroads RV Resort. So you happy with this place as an overnight obviously...

That location looks perfect... times are nearly equal to what we do day 1 and 2 back up 95 through Crossroads RV Resort. So you happy with this place as an overnight obviously...

Absolutely, we even have used it for the dismeets to Alabama.

I guess the only thing I would want to check with them is late arrival. Here at Carolina Crossroads (and if you are familiar forgive me) they have a row of angled sites right up front that are easy to quietly pull into late and after dark without unhooking and just plug in. They leave site info and paperwork at office door... no problems doing it. Will just call and ask about any rules regarding late (how late permitted) arrival as would probably be arriving between 9 and 10 (maybe 8:30-9).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter