Jen’s Labor Day 2002 Disneyland Resort Trip Report - Part 3

JenniBarra

Mouseketeer
Sunday, September 1

We slept quite soundly, so we had somewhat of a leisurely start in the morning. We wanted to have a bit of breakfast, but something light since we wanted to be hungry and ready for our 12PM lunch reservation at the Bistro. What was funny is that Keith claimed to be “only a little hungry,” but he ordered a Denver omelet while the rest of us had pastries and juice! (This would come back to haunt him. <g>)

We wanted to visit Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA and do something like MuppetVision, since Mom wasn’t up to any coasters or the like. The Backlot wasn’t open yet and, as we were checking the attraction board to see when it would open, a CM went by and said hello, commenting on my LP button, and said, “Rebekah’s brother!” in reference to himself. (It was then that I recognized him as Daniel, having met him at least once before.)

While we waited for the Backlot to open, we decided to venture through Greetings from California. Mom found some of the very cute Mickey pumpkin antenna balls, as well as a number of other interesting items for sale.

After we had pretty thoroughly wandered Greetings, it was about time to head over to the Soap Opera Bistro. We found out that the dining package was available, but that it was $45 and included a full meal (drink, soup or salad, entrée, and dessert) in addition to a limited edition Hyperion pin and lanyard. Keith was hesitating, both over cost and because he was still somewhat full from his “I’m just a little hungry” breakfast. (In the end, he conceded.) We had great fun and were at our table long enough for the improv actors to come through twice. (Our entire table became the doctor’s estranged family, with Doobie being the “twin brother.” Doobie says that that seems to happen a lot. <g>)

Soon, it was time to head to the Hyperion for Blast. What a show! It was quite impressive and a lot of fun, too. (Keith decided he was glad he went along with the rest of us after all. <g>) Since it ends up that a touring company of Blast will be coming to town later this year, we’re now talking about seeing the full show. : )
After the show, we said our goodbyes to Doobie, Rebekah, and company as they were off to an Angels game. Keith and I always have a great time with them and my parents were glad to have now met them, too.

Keith went ahead of us to the room, while the remaining three of us went to World of Disney. It was a nice break from the heat! I had a shopping list in mind already, but ended up adding the Blast CD to the pile, too. <g>

Back at the room, we noted our latest selection of magazines. It was becoming amusing to see how the titles rotated and what they were (tennis, cruising, spas). This is just one of the interesting touches in the rooms at the Grand California. (I’m partial to the Bambi and Thumper shower curtain myself.)

We had dinner at Storyteller’s. I had the same thing I’ve always had there, a burger with guacamole, and even though everyone else talked about different dishes, in the end, everyone else thought a burger sounded good, too! Dinner was good, but we had a forgetful waiter who kept trying to give someone iced tea when no one had ordered iced tea or bring out the opposite soup that was ordered!

After dinner, it was back to DCA to see the Electrical Parade. We were on the hunt for a good spot when we saw Al and Sandy, fellow members of our local NFFC chapter. They were also looking for a place along the parade route, so headed toward Paradise Pier together. While I have seen the Electrical Parade since it moved to DCA, it was a special thing to see it with my Mom and Dad because I have many happy memories of summer vacations to Disneyland as a child and the highlight of the evening was usually seeing the MSEP. It was especially fun because some of the floats that move around a lot, like the snails, came very close to us.

DCA closed not long after the parade, so we crossed over to Disneyland. Mom and Dad were tired, so they went back to the room, while Keith, Al, Sandy, and I headed to attractions. Because Al is in a power wheelchair, he uses an SAP and asked if there was anything in particular we wanted to ride. Since I thought it would be neat to experience the elevator going back up, I asked if we could see the Haunted Mansion.

Guess which CM opened the side door to let us in? Maynard! We were thrilled! We had a little bit of time to chat with Maynard (and his tiny lizard “friend”) and take pictures. We then went on the ride. At the exit area, we of course stayed on to come back to where we had started. The CM that was working at the disembarkation area came right up to the Doombuggy and stuck his face really close to mine and said, “hello” in this really spooky voice. That cracked me up. (Sandy tells me that that was Elbert. Maynard was also the one who helped us back out so Sandy told him that he better watch out because Elbert was giving him some competition!)

We also finally made it to Indy, but, the park closed after that, so we headed out. Al and Sandy were hungry so we got ice cream and drinks at Downtown Disney and headed to the Grand’s lobby to chat for a little bit. (The lobby is always a popular place for people to hang out, since it’s so cozy between all of the comfy chairs and the fireplace!)

I too just love the Electric Light Parade - can't wait to see it again - thanks for posting!

The Electrical Parade (I *always* want to type it as MSEP <g>) is most likely my very favorite Disney parade. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter