June-11 Trip: Are you Eating, Flying and Sailing Nuts? FINAL UPDATE 9/14

Thanks for your wonderful trip report. I am so enjoying it! The tea is one of my favorite things to do at Disney too and I drag my Dh with me. He also gets iced tea and just loves it. His favorite, the strawberries!

Can't wait to read more!!

Cyndi

Thanks Cyndi. Good for DH. DD isn't a big Strawberry fan and like this time she can't resist the pastries.

Tinks "SS";41609809 said:
i've really enjoyed the tea photos!! i've done it twice now and love it. i've gone with my BFF and this time we took our moms to the world with us and did tea. We had such a good time there. i will probably never get my boys or DH to go with me unless i really dig up some good dirt on them. :lmao: maybe i need to work on that;).

love the rest of it. thanks for the updates.

Glad you guys enjoyed Tea. It isn’t my favorite thing to do at WDW but I went with it. Usually, she is with others and I drop them off to head over to the Poly for crab cakes. We ended up having a good time. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Loving the TR so far, you just make me chuckle! I'm so glad you gave info on the tea, it's something I've always wanted to try, but never did. I'm putting that on my definite list now and will plan on it on our big trip next year. I think it would be something sweet for me and my niece to do together.

No pressure or anything, but I'm ready for the next installment.n:goodvibes

Providing chuckles is what I’m here for. Glad you like it. She has gone to tea since she was a wee little one and has developed into a tea aficionado. She loves the scones. I’ve even made them at home. Can’t find the clotted cream anywhere.

What a lovely day - looks like you are your daughter really enjoyed your tea at the Grand Floridian - it looks delicious. Hope to try it someday - never been to Narcoossees either so looking forward to hearing all about that too:thumbsup2 Had to laugh at you slip up about that as thats just the sort of thing I do all the time (I am hopeless at keeping secrets when it comes to our WDW trips!)

Hope to see you next update soon!

The way I am going you may have to try Narcoossees yourself before I write it down. I can say the food we had that night was the best of the trip. She loves tea. A good friend lives in the UK and we promised we would visit next year. She can’t wait to visit some tea shops while we are over there.

popcorn::popcorn::Great report....can't wait for more!!

Thanks. Is the popcorn buttered with real butter?

Thanks everyone for reading and responding. Next update should be posted tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

I have always enjoyed your trip reports - I want to thank you for letting us go along - She is one amazing person - the world is a better place!

I've recently discovered chowhound.com - they have an Orlando board - I cant believe the places that are out there - but I'd get lost for sure, so I appreciate your drive around Orlando - and truly LOL about taking pictures at midnight - I felt the same way when we stayed at BCV - but there were people in the pool (I pointed away from them!) no security on me tho!! GO Len Testa :lmao: Brilliant!

The Grand Tea - you had TEA? I'm not sure, I hear they have a Princess Blend that is delish! You'll need to go back and try it - seriously!! I have to add my DH is a tea drinker (after coffee of course! :rotfl:) he had some kind of pot filled with leaves - huge leaves...... but it is an amazing place - and I think you did a great job capturing it for us -

Also, loved your DD response about people "not getting it" its not about lines and hamburgers!! :thumbsup2 perfect!

I hope you'll always be able to take the time to give trip reports - I love your reports!! :worship: Thank you!

One the way to the resort, I had a proud Disney Dad moment. Out of the blue DD announces, “People just don’t get it.” “Get what?” “I had some friends say ‘You are going to Disney again?’ they just don’t get it.” They don’t know how to do Disney. All they think of is Disney means standing in lines. They don’t do it like we do. There is some much more to going than the parks. We don’t stand in lines, or just eat hamburgers.” “So you will be going to the World when you are older?” “Of course. That’s a dumb question.” She was raised right. My work here is done.
You have raised her well! :thumbsup2

“why don’t we check out Narcoossee’s? We are eating there later in the week.” DOH!!!
Definitely D'OH!!!! :headache:

And for all you that are wondering, no, I did not drink with my pinky out.
Darn, looks like I lost that bet.:rotfl2:

Day 1 Part 2: Your room is ready. AKA Is Pesto brown?

With tea over with, and Yes, I enjoyed tea, it was time to head back to AKL and our room. Received a text (will wonders never cease) that the room was ready when DD was digging iinto her pastries. Perfect timing. Picked up the car at valet and drove back. Side note: With a handicapped sticker, valet is free at all WDW resorts. Didn’t matter because we were dining and had the TIW card which also provides free valet.

Went to the room with our day stuff in tow. Sunset Savanna View room 7330. Always enjoy the moment you open the door and see what the room looks like.

Here we are
IMG_1310.jpg

In the hallway on the way to the room I saw this
IMG_1309.jpg

Through the resort there are proverbs from different African countries. At the pool there is one about placing one foot first before entering unchartered waters. Or something like that. What happened to jumping in with both feet? We were definitely going to do that during this trip. Is this one saying that mothers are a precious metal and fathers are just a cheap piece of glass? Yes I get the analogy reflection of you blah blah blah but come on, a cheap piece of glass? Can’t we at least be guilded mirrors? Dads don’t get any respect.

Her Pull out couch. While she said this one was comfortable, she liked the one at the Boardwalk better.
IMG_1061.jpg

The big screen. Same manufacturer as my new one (mind is bigger though). Can you tell I am excited that I now have a flat screen of my own.
IMG_1063.jpg

My Queen sized bed. The bed was very comfy and I slept great.
IMG_1084.jpg

We got a lot of use of the fridge
IMG_1068.jpg

The one thing I don’t like about the studios is no whirlpool bath. That alone is worth the points. Pretty sure we will be in a 1 BR next time so I can whirlpool away the kinks in these tired old bones.
IMG_1070.jpg

I know for a fact that I am not the only person that takes photos of the commode and posts them (He knows who he is). Another side note: You may notice that now the pics have my screen name on them. I found someone (not on these boards) that used some of my pics as their own. One of them was a favorite, the hat during the 4th of July. It doesn’t bother me if someone out there copies them but not on an on line blog or newsletter and credit themselves as the photographer. Sorry, I am kind of hacked off about it. Not that I am worried about someone using a potty picture but now I am labeling everything. That is one reason why the TR is taking longer.
IMG_1072.jpg

I liked the storage space under the vanity. Could come in handy for DD’s extra beauty supplies.
IMG_1074.jpg

Remember the word safe
IMG_1075.jpg

The dreaded Teanagerus Obnoxitum. This creature is one of the most frightening of all the animals on the Savanna and indeed the entire world. They usually travel in packs. Prone to pouting and slamming doors. They are especially evil when separated from their communication devices. The female of the species are extremely devious and are most dangerous when they smile at you. Beware, it is just a plot to separate you from your wallet or ATM card.
IMG_1077.jpg

Other animal life was also out and about
IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

Until this trip I did not know the Ankole cattle were first domesticated by the Wattusi tribe. The horns are hollow for lightness and to radiate heat.
IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

Don’t worry many more animal pics coming to bore you.

The resort to the left
IMG_1082.jpg

The resort to the right
IMG_1083.jpg

As you can guess, we were in the middle of the right side of the resort. Nice location and plenty of animal viewing. My only complaint was there were no Red River Hogs in our savanna. The hallways were long al la the Boardwalk but they learned from that mistake. There are additional elevators placed in the resort. One that was near our room took us to the parking garage and was a short walk to the bus stop. No need to walk all the way to the lobby and then walk all the way to the buses. Nice change.

Good touchy feely sentiment. Of course my take on it is that she may be a tree in our family forest, but I hold the chainsaw that can cut her down.
IMG_1085.jpg

My little butterfly holding a butterfly
IMG_1086.jpg

The paper goods and other supplies
IMG_1087.jpg

Call the exterminator. We have mice.
IMG_1088.jpg

A few people on a safari, Something for the memory banks for a future trip.
IMG_1094.jpg

Bell Services was up to the room with the Bazillion bags (actually 11) and it was unpacking time. I neatly hung everything in the closet and put folded clothes in the drawers. She left everything in her suitcase. Whatever floats your boat. Snacks were put away and cold stuff was in the fridge. Then it was electronics. Everything was fine and I was about to hook up to the internet and I discovered NO POWER CORD. (This is also a recurring theme during the trip)

I remember unplugging it and saying to self don’t forget it when I packed the computer. Well, it was left at home. The battery had less than two hours of charge and so no email, internet surfing and posting on the boards for the trip. Not a tragedy but DD thought so because she couldn’t charge her I-pod. Oh well.

After we were unpacked, DD had a headache (another theme for the trip) so she stayed in the room. I wanted to stretch out and relax so I headed for the pool. After purchasing a club soda at the bar, I relaxed in a lounge chair and read from my Kindle as the sun set. Life doesn’t get much better than this.
IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

After the pool we had snacks in the room and watched the limited TV choices. It was about 9:30 when we decided to go over to Mara for a quick bite to eat. We asked at the front desk what the best way was to get over there. They suggested we take our car because the shuttle (golf cart) stops running at ten. Wish this was more like BLT where you are not that far away from the resort. It is a doable walk but I wasn’t up for it. It is a bit of a hike.

I always liked Mara. The food is good and there are some items that are unique. I had the chicken corn chowder. Good but a little on the sweet side. DD had the vegetarian flat bread, Cheese, spinach, mushrooms and PESTO. Zebra domes for her desert. Total $15.42 with tax, no discount or tip. Sorry, no pics.

Hers came out and it had a brownish goo on it. She made me taste it and it was good. But it is not PESTO. Pesto is green. I make it from scratch and I know for a fact pesto is basil, roasted pine nuts, garlic, parmasian and olive oil. And it is GREEN.

I went back to the counter with it and explained that the vegetarian flat bread was supposed to have pesto. She said it did have pesto. Instead of arguing with her I asked her for a side of PESTO. She huffs and someone hands me a container. After we paid, I took a look at it and it is BROWN. PESTO is GREEN. I tasted it from the container and discovered it was an olive tepenade spread (they use it on another type of flat bread). DD then went to explain to the CM that she wanted PESTO, you know the GREEN stuff. We are driving back and she told me that they gave her the olive spread again. I came to the conclusion that a) they didn’t have PESTO or b) they didn’t know what PESTO was. No harm because she loves olives and as a bonus the extras made a tasty spread on the crackers that were in our stocked pantry. We also had a few good laughs over it.

So day one is in the books. Good start. Lots of fun and plenty of laid back time. Everything went smoothly and we did not get lost once. Oh, and YES, I LIKED THE TEA.

Up next Day 2: AK and DHS AKA In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion roars tonight. And so does our cousin.

You know, I'm suppose to be cleaning my house..the out of work teacher that I am...but you had to put up a new report AND I keep interrupting my youngest DD (who recently graduated and moved home) from cleaning her room. But we are both enjoying your TR. I found your "educational" info on the animals quite interesting.

What no Red River Hogs??! Now my DH isn't really keen on trying out AKV but if I EVER do finally convince him to at least one stay, we better find out which savannah those critters hang out on. He looks for them whenever we visit the AKL gift shop or rather I'm at the gift shop, he's looking for those critters;)

And my youngest wants to know WHY you took a picture of the life guard? If your DD wasn't with you, was that to tempt her to the pool? Geeze, Dad what are you thinking? Have you noticed how beautiful that daughter of yours is becoming? But then my youngest also wants to know just how tall was that life guard? Now she's asking me when are WE going to WDW again..I'm thinking she's including herself with my DH and me.

What a great TR so far! I have a long time until my next stay so I'm living vicariously through other's TRs! :rotfl:

Two new updates!! Thanks for both of them. We actually really enjoy tea too. My husband doesn't mind it, so he goes along with me. I really like the peace and quiet as a break from the chaos in other parts of the world.

Glad to hear that you were able to sleep in. I know that might have changed your plans, but rest is good! Sounds like your daughter definitely "gets it" and that is wonderful. Many trips for years to come for you two.

Can't wait for Day 2.

Great update! :thumbsup2 It was so nice seeing our home away from home! What a great dad, one that realizes the storage under the sink in the bathroom will be needed for beauty supplies! You rock! The pool pics, I miss the Kadini pool, it's my favorite. AKV is my favorite resort (and our home) but I have to say, sometimes after walking in the heat all day, the walk to Mara is killer. I really wish that Kadini had a QS. Oh, BTW, I don't blame you for putting your signature on the pictures. Using them is a compliment, claiming them as your own is flat out wrong!

Looking forward to your next update. I'm hooked!

Yay! Another TR!

Turns out we were there at the same time, which is why I missed all this until tonight. Darn real life intervening! :lmao:

Looking forward to the next installment! :thumbsup2

Yes great popcorn!!! Made the old fashion way...on the stove....in oil....and real butter!!!! The only way!!! Love your TR so far popcorn::

Is this one saying that mothers are a precious metal and fathers are just a cheap piece of glass? Yes I get the analogy reflection of you blah blah blah but come on, a cheap piece of glass? Can’t we at least be guilded mirrors? Dads don’t get any respect.
Surely they missed something in the interpretation. :confused3

I know for a fact that I am not the only person that takes photos of the commode and posts them (He knows who he is).
It seems to be becoming a DIS Dads trend these days.

The dreaded Teanagerus Obnoxitum. This creature is one of the most frightening of all the animals on the Savanna and indeed the entire world. They usually travel in packs. Prone to pouting and slamming doors. They are especially evil when separated from their communication devices. The female of the species are extremely devious and are most dangerous when they smile at you. Beware, it is just a plot to separate you from your wallet or ATM card.
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl: That is literary gold right there. (See I'll give you credit for the gold part even if the African proverb won't)

After purchasing a club soda at the bar, I relaxed in a lounge chair and read from my Kindle as the sun set. Life doesn’t get much better than this.
:goodvibes:thumbsup2

I make it from scratch and I know for a fact pesto is basil, roasted pine nuts, garlic, parmasian and olive oil. And it is GREEN.
If I were you, I'd send them an application to be the offical pesto chef. :thumbsup2

After the pool we had snacks in the room and watched the limited TV choices. I so agree. ABC especially showed "limited". :rotfl:It was about 9:30 when we decided to go over to Mara for a quick bite to eat.... ESPN was too scary? :rolleyes1

Oh wait this one's a contender. :lmao:

One the way to the resort, I had a proud Disney Dad moment. Out of the blue DD announces, “People just don’t get it.” “Get what?” “I had some friends say ‘You are going to Disney again?’ they just don’t get it.” They don’t know how to do Disney. All they think of is Disney means standing in lines. They don’t do it like we do. There is some much more to going than the parks. We don’t stand in lines, or just eat hamburgers.” “So you will be going to the World when you are older?” “Of course. That’s a dumb question.” She was raised right. My work here is done.

Well it WAS a dumb question. ;)

Forget explaining to non-Disney types - with her vacation smarts I need her in my back pocket for some discussions right here on this DVC board. :rolleyes1

Loved the tea. LOVED it.

Wouldn't it have been funny if Cinco was staring out at you from the bird cage on the way by? :rotfl2: You know like a sweet hallucination - those pills are powerful.

How is she by the way? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter