Jury Duty

That really is my main gripe with the system. You shouldn't have to take a week off of work and not really get paid anything to be there. If she had been there 5 days that week for the whole day it would be different because our area does pay mileage at least, it would have been better than sitting at home for a week over a half of a day.
California pays $15/day and mileage one-way for the second day on. Mileage ITRW is paid s$0.575/mile. The court pays $0.34/mile...ONE WAY mind you - as the crow flies - not actual vehicle miles - like you are going to somehow flap your arms and fly there and then not go home. It's insulting.

You suggested people should lie to get out of it, I was saying you should be honest not lie.

I don't care to argue with you but I certainly understand the :sad2: from other posters at your comment.
Nope - never suggested lying, and no, I never lied myself - suggested picking a side. If you are offended by my post, just how do you feel about the process of jury selection where they assign prejudices to every potential juror based on race, gender, career, etc? It would be illegal to do that in the workplace - yet you don't like that I used their prejudices to get off a jury? Let that sink in - I stand by what I did.

That's just the whims of the jury trial system. Often there's a settlement or plea bargain before a jury trial can start, and the jury pool has to be assembled in advance.

As for juries - I've served on a couple and I don't recall a single government employee. All government employees are exempt from federal jury service and state juries have different rules.
Are they exempt? I don't think that's true and I even recall at least one postal worker on the OJ jury. I know they don't get paid because it is known that they get their regular pay.

Nope - never suggested lying, and no, I never lied myself - suggested picking a side. If you are offended by my post, just how do you feel about the process of jury selection where they assign prejudices to every potential juror based on race, gender, career, etc? It would be illegal to do that in the workplace - yet you don't like that I used their prejudices to get off a jury? Let that sink in - I stand by what I did.
I'm not out to convince you otherwise you're the one who said the words. I however get what others see in your post. Not worth going back and forth on, you do you and the like.

Jury duty isn't anyone's workplace. It's everyone's civic duty for living in a society where you're not just arbitrarily imprisoned or worse for even just being suspected of a crime.

I'm not out to convince you otherwise you're the one who said the words. I however get what others see in your post. Not worth going back and forth on, you do you and the like.
I fail to see what you are upset about -the jury selection process is not something I came up with. Given the well-known attorney prejudices I would have had to lie to get ON the jury - you do see that, right?

California pays $15/day and mileage one-way for the second day on. Mileage ITRW is paid s$0.575/mile. The court pays $0.34/mile...ONE WAY mind you - as the crow flies - not actual vehicle miles - like you are going to somehow flap your arms and fly there and then not go home. It's insulting.
So move out of California. Or work to change the compensation law.A

Are they exempt? I don't think that's true and I even recall at least one postal worker on the OJ jury. I know they don't get paid because it is known that they get their regular pay.

I wish I could find out for my county or other counties, but now it requires a reporting date and name before I can find the list of excuses.

For those wanting to get out of Jury Duty may I suggest pulling a Liz LemonF3E4D5DC-89F7-4993-BAED-451CBD1406A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Makes me lose faith in humanity. Watching people come up with the most ridiculous excuses for why they don't want to be a jury makes my blood boil.

Well maybe if people didn't face losing pay for the dais they serve, there would be more willing. In my case, my company does not pay for jury duty (I know some so) and the state pay is practically nothing

I have been called once. I ended up on Grand Jury for a year. I live in a small county so we “only” met 9 or 10 times that year.

The judge for a case I was on asked if anyone needed to be excused. One person said they had irritable bowel syndrome which apparently is highly contagious, as over 25 of the following prospective jurors also suddenly developed the illness :rolleyes: .

About a week after the case began (very interesting, but also very disturbing), one of the jurors' car broke down. A guard(?) drove 45 minutes each way to pick her up & drop her off everyday for almost 3 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter