Just Back and Have Some Gossip

Disney Doll

DIS Security Matron
DH & I got back last night, and heard some "scoop". We were boating from WL to the CR. Coming across the lake, the "wing" that was on the right side of the building (looking at it from the lake) is gone. There is a big fence and lots of heavy machinery. We asked the boat driver about it. She said that back in the fall, they had been shown plans for a DVC to be built there, in a horseshoe shape, facing the lake. Then, the drawing was "pulled" out of circulation, at about the same time the VAKL were announced. Now she says all the CMs are being told is that the area is being "refurbished". She thinks they didn't want everyone to wait for the monorail resort. Anyhow, the VAKL are taking over most of the 5th & 6th floors (formerly concierge) at the AKL to be DVC properties plus they are putting up a building along a river that's over near there, which is supposedly going to have quite an amazing pool complex.

She also said there has been a deal made with the Four Seasons hotel chain to build a hotel near Eagle Pines/Osprey Ridge golf courses and to connect a waterway that's over there to Bay Lake and the 7 Seas Lagoon with boat service to the MK.

Don't know what's true or false, but it was interesting.

The plans for the VAKL and Four Seasons projects have been officially announced and are as you described. Demolition of the Contemporary's North Wing has been taking place for some time. If memory serves, they had just started demolition last October when we visited. Nothing has been officially announced, but complete demolition seems to be a bit more than a refurbishment. If anyone strolls by the construction fence, I'd like to know if they have one of those "This area is being refurbished for your future enjoyment" signs up.

When I asked the DVC rep at the Contemporary he said that a DVC rep had been fired for talking about the new building. They would not confirm or deny and claimed that they had no knowledge of it. The entire site has been cleared and is clearly more than a refurb of the old buildiing.

If anyone strolls by the construction fence, I'd like to know if they have one of those "This area is being refurbished for your future enjoyment" signs up.

Yes they do. We saw it...several of them along the length of the fencing.

I have photos of the Contemporary construction area from the 4th floor (from over a week ago) - it's mostly just dirt now, the buildings came down quickly. I can't imagine it will be long before they announce something (likely DVC). That area is too profitable to leave sit.

I passed on the monorail on Monday night and noticed small flags on the site that look to be in the same shape as the drawings that were posted. They are still excavating and there are some large pipes sitting on the side.

I don't know if they will announce DVC. It seems with the large construction plans at AKL, it would hurt sales if they announce the Contemporary now.

[Feels the thud of AKL owners hitting their head on their keyboard]

Someone that is far more knowledgeable about Fla time-share law than I can clarify, but I remember reading some discussion about how far along construction must be before sales can begin. I think that although a DVC Contemporary announcement is probable (maybe even inevitable), it will be awhile before an announcement is made. In the mean time, VAKL (and SSR) sales continue even as we type.

.... and to connect a waterway that's over there to Bay Lake and the 7 Seas Lagoon with boat service to the MK.
I'm not sure we have heard this part before, but it backs up something I heard a while ago. About a month before VAKL was announced, friends that are members of Club 33 at Disneyland had insisted that a waterway was to be dug to connect to a new resort in the area. They heard of it at various dinners and events from other members of Club 33. This was around the time of the speculation concerning the STOL area construction.

We need pictures everyone. Take those cameras with you. We need to see those pipes, and the excavating equipment. We need eyes. :)

Is this because you think AKL owners would prefer a DVC at the Contemporary??

I think anyone who is a DIS regular and has been reading about the AKV rumors for the last year would also have known about the Contemporary rumor. I bought an add-on at AKV knowing that the Contemporary DVC was also a possibility, but I wouldn't buy at the Contemporary - it just doesn't appeal to me. AKV, on the other hand, has everything I like about DVC - a "get away from it all" feeling and a beautifully themed resort. For a "lake" feel, I much prefer VWL.

Different strokes and all...

I think anyone who is a DIS regular and has been reading about the AKV rumors for the last year would also have known about the Contemporary rumor. I bought an add-on at AKV knowing that the Contemporary DVC was also a possibility, but I wouldn't buy at the Contemporary - it just doesn't appeal to me. AKV, on the other hand, has everything I like about DVC - a "get away from it all" feeling and a beautifully themed resort. For a "lake" feel, I much prefer VWL.

Yep, I feel the same way. The building plans we saw, the location, the "big hotel" have absolutely NO appeal to me at all. I'll be doing the happy dance at AKV and OKW!

I agree, AKV and a rumored CRV are two different beasts (pun intended). Personally, I would love to own at AKV. While I would try CRV, it just doesn't appeal enough to make me want an 11 month advantage there.

At any rate, I'm broke for the next couple of years (well, want new Mac and new plasma TV), so I'll be happy with my current SSR points. At least we'll be able to stay at either resort, anyway!!

Dirk

We need pictures everyone. Take those cameras with you. We need to see those pipes, and the excavating equipment. We need eyes. :)

Ripped from my site, here are the pipes: :)

pipes.jpg

They totally look like DVC pipes!

(I think the AKL villas artwork looks much more interesting than the Contemporary artwork I've seen so far.)

I would agree that not everyone wants to stay right in the thick of things. I can appreciate the CR for its history etc. but it doesn't appeal to me in a visual sense...never did like that whole "modern/contemporary" feel. Since I don't have small children, I would feel no need to have walking access to the MK. I am quite sure I'll stay there at some point, because I like to stay at all the DVC properties, just to try them out, see how they are, see what they offer etc. But I don't necessarily feel the need to own points there. I am happy at OKW...relaxing, tropical, a real difference from where I live now, so I feel like I am on vacation.

That is the beauty of the DVC....there is always something that appeals to everyone.

I agree DVCLiz, This will be the first unthemed DVC resort. No thanks! I am not willing to loose theaming just to get monorail access. Theaming is the main thing that sets DVC apart from other timeshares.

hey you can walk to the MK....

that means a DVC resort will be in walking distance or as close as possible (AKV) to all the WDW theme parks!!!

:banana: :dance3: :cheer2:

If I can, will definitely buy at the CRV - but hoping that annoucement and sales don't begin until 2009 or 2010.... Which should be about the time that AKV is finished with construction and the way sales are going - might be almost finished there...

the sales guide would like more choices. Some people will like SSR, others will like AKV and still others would prefer CRV.

the more choices they can give - the more likely a sale.

of course there is still that other very nasty rumor - Cont or MK suites.:mad:

but yes DVC doesn't want its guides or representives to give out incorrect or not verified information.

don't know about anymore DVC announceds to all the CM's either - since that is how the AKL was found out. Probably at least several months before DVC was ready to announce to us and the public.

If I had my druthers I would rather have a Poly DVC!

In a few weeks we will be dining at the California Grill. If there is a view (we have never eaten at the Grill) from there, I'll get some photos. We do plan on seeing Wishes from up there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter