Just back - FP+, heat, monorail, Talking Mickey, Downtown Disney

lauritagoddess

Doin' the Plush Rush
We just got back from 8 days in WDW. It was an interesting trip. We stayed at the Contemporary which was the first resort we stayed in 8.5 years ago. My DS was only 3 when we first stayed and now is a 12 year old who's starting to tower over me, and it was fun to see the comparison.

This was our second time using FP+. The first time was last year when it was being tested and we were able to use FP+ as well as pull paper fastpasses. I've been reading the boards for months and was wondering how it was going to play out. From our experience, FP+ was great for MK. We've traditionally been rope drop people and our first day we did make it to MK at rope drop. I had scheduled our first FP+ for about 10:00. We did a bunch of rides in Fantasyland at standby and then started our FP+ rides. We had 7DMT, Peter Pan and Buzz. After that, we managed to pull a 4th and 5th FP+ for the Speedway and for Pooh. We could have pulled more, but it was just too hot at that point and we left the park. It actually enhanced our experience by being able to walk on the rides and to keep pulling the FP+. Our other MK day was similar. I was also able to switch around some times and experiences through the app on the fly which was good. Our experiences with Epcot and HS was different. With the tiering in those parks, FP+ was less of a big deal. For both of our Epcot days our Tier 1 FP+ was Soarin'. I scheduled the FP+ at about 9:30 for both days with the plan that we would get to Epcot at Rope Drop and ride Soarin' on standby and then again with the FP+. This only worked one day as the first Epcot day while we were on the ride apparently one of the sides went down so when we came out after riding standby they said that even with the FP+ that we would have a wait so we just skipped the second ride. But then after you have your Tier 1 ride down, there's pretty slim pickings. Just to get FP+ booked, I booked the Nemo ride and Figment one day, and Nemo and the Epcot Character Spot another. It was actually helpful for the character spot since that did get a wait, but we really didn't need the FP+ for the other rides. We had the same experience in HS where we booked TSMM and did the standby and then early FP+ for TSMM. But with the tiering, it was harder to decide what to do for there other FP+. We also didn't find that the queues were that affected on most rides or attractions because of FP+, with the one exception of Muppetvision. There was actually a backed up standby line there and when the pre show room was filling up, it was wall to wall people and the theater itself was almost completely filled which I've never seen before. I can't speak for AK since we wound up scrapping our AK day because my DS was sick. All in all, I really liked FP+, but the tiering issue in Epcot and HS is a problem.

One of the highlights of our trip was meeting Talking Mickey in MK. We love meeting characters anyway, but this was really special. Whoever plays Mickey really went out of their way to make it special. Mickey did card tricks and joked around and was a lot of fun. I was glad we had a FP+ for this because the line was very long otherwise, but I can see why it takes so long because of the amount of time spent.

One of the not so great parts of our trip was the heat. This was the sixth time we've been to WDW in August so we are far from being unprepared for what the heat is like, but ohmigod, it was sweltering. This was beyond hot. Our first day in the parks last Sunday, it was 97 with a real feel of 114. It got cooler in the middle of the week, but it was still relentlessly hot. We didn't let it stop us, but it did make some things harder. With the resort monorail not running until 8:30, on our first MK day we walked to MK along the walkway from the CR. That was the only time we did it. Even early in the morning, we were dripping sweat by the time we got there. It also was an issue at Downtown Disney which I'll touch on further below.

I knew about all the construction at Downtown Disney, but for some reason my brain never processed that only the Marketplace bus stop was open. We normally go over to DD in a lot of the evenings, especially since my DS loves DisneyQuest. But to walk all the way over from the bus stop at the beginning of Marketplace all the way to the end of the West Side in that heat was awful. We only wound up going a couple of times. We definitely would have spent more time there if the other bus stop was still open.

I had been concerned about the monorail but it turned out to be not that big a deal. Except for the first MK morning where we tried walking from CR, we just waited for buses if we were going to the parks before the monorail was running. There were buses to MK and to Epcot, although we noticed the Epcot buses were rare, most were buses to the TTC that also did a run to Epcot. But they were plentiful and it wasn't an issue.

Also on the not so great side was that my DS got sick on the trip. He had what first seemed like a cold, but after a few days he started running a high fever. I asked at the front desk about seeing a doctor and thought we'd have to wind up going to a clinic, but was given a flyer for a in-hotel doctor service East Coast Medical http://www.themedicalconcierge.com. They had a doctor at our room in about 4.5 hours after I called. The doctor was incredibly thorough and professional and diagnosed what I had already suspected was a sinus infection. Unfortunately, although he carried meds with him, the antibiotics he had are ones my son's usually resistant to. He had to write a prescription instead. The front desk faxed it to Turner Drugs who deliver directly to the hotel. It was too late that day for the delivery, but it was there by 10:00 the next morning. If you have a need for a doctor, I would highly recommend this service and the pharmacy.

All in all, it was in some ways a challenging trip because of the illness and heat, but it was a lot of fun.

Edited to add - I had the weirdest experience on Friday night at the CR. I was bringing the prescription to the front desk for them to fax. We were staying in the South Garden wing and when I was walking outside to get into the tower I heard howling like a wolf. I heard someone else ask what that was and someone replied "It was Peter Pan" which seemed bizarre. But then just as I was about to enter the lobby, Peter Pan came running up behind me. He followed me in and told me he wasn't following me, he was following my shadow, and then ran to the escalator and went up to the 2nd floor. It was just so surreal. When I told my son about it he said "Peter Pan is a creeper", lol.

lauaritagoddess, loved hearing about your trip and found it very informative.
So sorry to hear your son was sick for part of the trip but appreciate the name of the medicalconcierge website. I'll have to write that down and take with me, hoping we will never need to use it.
I did want to ask you about meeting Talking Mickey. I believe my grandsons would enjoy that. You said you had gotten a FP+ for it. Could you please tell me the name of the event (or whatever you would call it) so that I could possibly secure a FP when my window opens up.
Also, is this pretty much an all day thing, or is it just for certain times of the day. Oh, and where does it take place?
Sorry for all the questions but Dis Boards is the only place, for me anyway, that I get all my Disney info.
Once again, thanks for posting such an informative review of your trip. Loved hearing about it.
Thanks,

Karen :)

Sorry to hear about your son being sick :( but the services that were provided right to your resort room seemed great :thumbsup2 I didnt know they had doctors that would come right to your room.
Oh and I have been watching the temps in Disney World because we plan to go next year in August. I saw the high temps that week :crazy2: Was this the hottest it has been on one of your trips ? High 90's I can imagine would be like being in a sauna !

We were there the 21st- 26th, and the heat was awful.

We went to meet Pooh & Tigger in UK at Epcot, and the handler asked if I wanted to get in the picture, and I replied "No thanks... I'm a little wilted" my daughter looked up at me & said "Yeah Mom you are a little wilted".

Also, a woman at the bus stop said "I've never been so hot that you sweat standing still "

I did want to ask you about meeting Talking Mickey. I believe my grandsons would enjoy that. You said you had gotten a FP+ for it. Could you please tell me the name of the event (or whatever you would call it) so that I could possibly secure a FP when my window opens up.
Also, is this pretty much an all day thing, or is it just for certain times of the day. Oh, and where does it take place?

This is the regular Mickey meet and greet in the at the Town Hall. He meets all day long and you can book a FP+ for it. I'd recommend the FP+ because we saw up to 45 minute waits.

Sorry to hear about your son being sick :( but the services that were provided right to your resort room seemed great :thumbsup2 I didnt know they had doctors that would come right to your room.
Oh and I have been watching the temps in Disney World because we plan to go next year in August. I saw the high temps that week :crazy2: Was this the hottest it has been on one of your trips ? High 90's I can imagine would be like being in a sauna !

Honestly, this felt hotter than any other August that we've been there. I was talking to some of the CMs and they said it seemed worse to them too. It was still doable, but it was a life sucking, sweat pouring off you kind of time.

Glad you had a good trip despite some challenges. We will be using FP+ for the first time in a few weeks - it's going to be so strange when we are so used to doing it the other way.

Hopefully we will never have use for a doctor and/or pharmacy while at WDW, but that is an amazing service you described! It's definitely a good thing to know and I had never heard of it, so thanks for the info!

Hope your son is better and you have great memories from your sweltering trip! ;)

Edited to add - I had the weirdest experience on Friday night at the CR. I was bringing the prescription to the front desk for them to fax. We were staying in the South Garden wing and when I was walking outside to get into the tower I heard howling like a wolf. I heard someone else ask what that was and someone replied "It was Peter Pan" which seemed bizarre. But then just as I was about to enter the lobby, Peter Pan came running up behind me. He followed me in and told me he wasn't following me, he was following my shadow, and then ran to the escalator and went up to the 2nd floor. It was just so surreal. When I told my son about it he said "Peter Pan is a creeper", lol.

Peter Pan is there at night because he meets the Pirates and Pals Cruise when it returns to the Contemporary after watching Wishes. The Peter Pan that met us was wonderful. Still, I can imagine what a bizarre experience that was!

We had the same experience with FP+. We were able to utilize it a lot in the MK but it wasn't too helpful in Epcot (we only got use out of it for Soarin' one day, Test Track another, and Maelstrom). It was of limited help at DHS. Great for TSMM.

So sorry your son got sick. That always puts a big damper on things and it's extra hard to see your child ill on vacation.

You're so lucky you got talking Mickey! We visited MK at the theater a few weeks ago and he didn't talk.

Peter Pan is there at night because he meets the Pirates and Pals Cruise when it returns to the Contemporary after watching Wishes. The Peter Pan that met us was wonderful. Still, I can imagine what a bizarre experience that was!

We had the same experience with FP+. We were able to utilize it a lot in the MK but it wasn't too helpful in Epcot (we only got use out of it for Soarin' one day, Test Track another, and Maelstrom). It was of limited help at DHS. Great for TSMM.

So sorry your son got sick. That always puts a big damper on things and it's extra hard to see your child ill on vacation.

You're so lucky you got talking Mickey! We visited MK at the theater a few weeks ago and he didn't talk.

Ahhh, now that makes sense about Peter Pan. It just seemed so random and strange at the time, especially after having spent the day with a sick child waiting for a doctor.

I was also so happy to get the Talking Mickey. He was really interactive with my DS, I have a great video from it.

We were there from August 17-24, as we always visit during August. This past trip was, without a doubt, the hottest August trip we've ever experienced! :crazy2:

I walked around all day wiping sweat from my brow and neck, and felt totally gross each time we posed for any pictures, with or without characters. Some of the pix in my MemoryMaker account show some lovely sweat stains on my shirt! Makes for a great photo op! :lmao:

I walked around all day wiping sweat from my brow and neck, and felt totally gross each time we posed for any pictures, with or without characters. Some of the pix in my MemoryMaker account show some lovely sweat stains on my shirt! Makes for a great photo op! :lmao:

:rotfl: I totally understand.

Ahhh, now that makes sense about Peter Pan. It just seemed so random and strange at the time, especially after having spent the day with a sick child waiting for a doctor.

I was also so happy to get the Talking Mickey. He was really interactive with my DS, I have a great video from it.

So is it hit or miss whether you get the Talking Mickey? That may make me rethink getting a FP+ for this.

Thanks again,

So is it hit or miss whether you get the Talking Mickey? That may make me rethink getting a FP+ for this.

Thanks again,

He is always scheduled to appear, but technical difficulties can occur at any time. There doesn't seem to be a big problem with that, however.

Thank you for your report.

Talking Mickey was the highlight of our trip in May. We were walking out of the park at 12AM and saw there was only a 15 wait for him. He was awesome and definitely a must-do on the next trip.

I agree with you on Fastpass+. It helped in MK, was useless in HS and was OK for AK & EP.

Too bad about the sickness but it is nice to know that it got handle in a good manner.

We were there from August 17-24, as we always visit during August. This past trip was, without a doubt, the hottest August trip we've ever experienced! :crazy2:

Wow I'm almost afraid to go in August now :scared1:

We were there from the 16th-23rd and while I know the temps were higher than normal, the trip has firmly planted us in the never August again crowd. Stepping out of the airport back in NH never felt so darn nice.

Wow I'm almost afraid to go in August now :scared1:

We were there from the 16th-23rd and while I know the temps were higher than normal, the trip has firmly planted us in the never August again crowd. Stepping out of the airport back in NH never felt so darn nice.

We've been so many times in August and it's always been sweltering, but this was just a lot worse. That said, I still plan to book for the same time next year and keep my fx that the heat is a little better. I also think we were a little unprepared this year. It's been a relatively cool summer here in NY and to go from low 80s to the high 90s and horrible humidity was much harder than when we've gone when we've had high 90s here.

I think I'm in the 'never again in August' camp too. I've loved our end of September trips (although as my daughter gets further along in school those will be more difficult to do).

I think I'm in the 'never again in August' camp too. I've loved our end of September trips (although as my daughter gets further along in school those will be more difficult to do).

That's just it, my son's starting 7th grade this week and I just can't take him out of school for a trip. We've usually gone at the end of August because there's a break then between camp ending and school starting and the crowds are lower than the rest of the summer. The only other times he's out of school are heavy crowd times at WDW.

Thank you for the info! i'm sorry your son got sick; that's miserable to have a sinus infection. If that's his picture (I imagine it is) he's a cutie!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter