Just back from ABD Iceland...tips for the trip

DCPhotoGal

Photographer and Mom to 2 Princesses
A little over two years after we had originally planned to do our ABD Iceland trip we finally got to go. It was a wonderful trip, despite some rough weather conditions and coming home with Covid. I thought I might try to share some helpful info for other planning to take the same tour while it's still fresh in my mind (and I'm stuck at home sick!)

1) The hotels in Iceland aren't fancy. They are clean and the beds are reasonably sized and comfortable. The bathrooms were utilitarian, the floor space hit or miss depending on which room you got. There was no air conditioning, which you wouldn't think would be an issue with temps 50-55 degrees in August, but it did get warm in the rooms, and sometimes the outside streets were quite noisy when you open the windows for air. There are no porters or ABD Tinkerbell services, so you move your own bags from the room to the bus.

2) Waterproof (not water resistant) rain jackets and rain pants are a must. A bunch of the parents on the tour (like myself) had brought them for the adults on the tour but figured the kids would be ok with leggings. We all had to buy the kids expensive rainpants in Iceland. But sure to get them for the whole family (and real heavy-duty raincoats that will fit over several other layers of clothing).

3) They aren't kidding when they say wool socks. Bring wool socks. And pack wool sweaters. If you're allergic put another layer in between. Wool is truly the best way to keep the right temperature on this trip. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the pretty handmade Icelandic sweaters.

4) Traveling on the internal flight was the easiest flight I've taken in years. It will make you wish we could also do away with TSA.

5) The restaurants in Akureyri will require reservations. Try to make them at least a night in advance. And food on your own is really expensive, even with the favorable exchange rate right now.

6) We didn't have any changes of schedule based on weather, so ended up hiking a glacier in pouring rain. It was still amazing.

7) If you do a pre-day I highly recommend Mink Viking Portraits. Happy to share one of mine if anyone is curious.

8) The rafting organization that ABD uses in Iceland was probably the best we've had so far in our many trips. Great guides and well-run excursion.

9) You won't see Northern Lights in the summer. Even if it's August and there's technically a tiny chance... it's not worth trying to stay up all night to see them. It'll probably be too cloudy or there is light pollution from the city anyway. Plan a winter trip to see the Northern Lights. This trip is for the adventure stuff.

10) The airport upon leaving is a zoo during peak season. Leave tons of time. There was a huge line to check-in, followed by another line for security (actually the shortest line of the day), and then another 45 minute wait to get past the passport control which was at the entry to the D (international) gates. We had precheck and business class and still took us forever. There was really no time to spare at the airport, even with there huge window Disney allowed with their drop-off.

We loved the trip and our guides and our fellow guests. Hope you get to enjoy this trip sometime too! Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Thanks! Sounds like not much has changed with this trip since 2018! :) Glad you enjoyed!! How many folks were on your trip? Who were your Guides?

a) I would *LOVE* to see your Viking portrait! I second that recommendation!

b) I totally agree about the Keflavik airport!!

c) the best recommendation I got for the rooms was to remove the quilt from the duvet cover and just use the duvet cover. Helped, because the rooms *are* warm! I got to sleep quite late in Reykjavik because my room overlooked the outdoor part of the bar, but I *had* to have the window open!

Thanks for the report!

Sayhello

Thanks! Sounds like not much has changed with this trip since 2018! :) Glad you enjoyed!! How many folks were on your trip? Who were your Guides?

a) I would *LOVE* to see your Viking portrait! I second that recommendation!
Oh! You're the one I have to thank for the Viking photos idea! I had made the reservation 3 years ago and I honestly didn't remember where I had even first learned about them. I did purchase all of these but adding the watermarked versions here so everyone knows were to get them :) _MG_0564.jpg_MG_0588.jpg_MG_0606.jpg

We had about 38 guests on the tour, and our guides were Lauren and Julli. The number was a little high--there were points when the bathroom waits were too long. but it was nice that the kids skewed on the older side so everyone was more on the serious side.

Attachments

• _MG_0605.jpg
    _MG_0605.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 5
I just re-read your trip report, and it looks like they changed the first few days of the trip from what you did--we stayed at the hotel in Reykjavik for 4 nights before heading up north. We still visited the same Golden Circle places, but I guess maybe the glacier we hiked was closer because we always came back to Reykjavik at the end of the day. We didn't get to boat on the lagoon. But we were soaking wet from hiking in the rain, so ready to go back and change after.

Oh! You're the one I have to thank for the Viking photos idea! I had made the reservation 3 years ago and I honestly didn't remember where I had even first learned about them. I did purchase all of these but adding the watermarked versions here so everyone knows were to get them :) View attachment 694206View attachment 694207View attachment 694209

We had about 38 guests on the tour, and our guides were Lauren and Julli. The number was a little high--there were points when the bathroom waits were too long. but it was nice that the kids skewed on the older side so everyone was more on the serious side.

Your pics are fabulous! ❤️❤️❤️ Love them! Yes, I was the one who posted about them many moons ago! I totally can't remember where *I* heard about them! Isn't it just the funnest experience?

We had 37. So I agree, way too many. I did an Adults Only, so no kids, though.

I just re-read your trip report, and it looks like they changed the first few days of the trip from what you did--we stayed at the hotel in Reykjavik for 4 nights before heading up north. We still visited the same Golden Circle places, but I guess maybe the glacier we hiked was closer because we always came back to Reykjavik at the end of the day. We didn't get to boat on the lagoon. But we were soaking wet from hiking in the rain, so ready to go back and change after.

Yes, I believe the idea was to cut out the late (REALLY late) drive to Vik, and the long drive to the airport in Reykjavik the next morning to get to Akureyri. It's too bad about missing out on the lagoon, but after a full day in the rain, I can understand just wanting to be back!

Sayhello

Last edited:
I've been to Iceland twice, though not with ABD.

Icelanders regulate temperature by opening windows and doors. We slept with the windows open in March. They have abundant geothermal energy and so I guess just adjust temp on the back end of things. LOL

Rain gear is an absolute must, as is a good middle layer like wool. Layers are key, especially since you'll be shedding most of them once you go inside. The weather is temperamental with many microclimates. On our June trip, we had rain, sleet, sunny skies, near gale force winds all in one day, often serval times, changing every 15 minutes. Don't try to avoid the weather, just dress appropriately for it.

We did Mink portraits as well. They are some of my favorite pictures of my family.

A little over two years after we had originally planned to do our ABD Iceland trip we finally got to go. It was a wonderful trip, despite some rough weather conditions and coming home with Covid. I thought I might try to share some helpful info for other planning to take the same tour while it's still fresh in my mind (and I'm stuck at home sick!)

1) The hotels in Iceland aren't fancy. They are clean and the beds are reasonably sized and comfortable. The bathrooms were utilitarian, the floor space hit or miss depending on which room you got. There was no air conditioning, which you wouldn't think would be an issue with temps 50-55 degrees in August, but it did get warm in the rooms, and sometimes the outside streets were quite noisy when you open the windows for air. There are no porters or ABD Tinkerbell services, so you move your own bags from the room to the bus.

2) Waterproof (not water resistant) rain jackets and rain pants are a must. A bunch of the parents on the tour (like myself) had brought them for the adults on the tour but figured the kids would be ok with leggings. We all had to buy the kids expensive rainpants in Iceland. But sure to get them for the whole family (and real heavy-duty raincoats that will fit over several other layers of clothing).

3) They aren't kidding when they say wool socks. Bring wool socks. And pack wool sweaters. If you're allergic put another layer in between. Wool is truly the best way to keep the right temperature on this trip. Do yourself a favor and buy one of the pretty handmade Icelandic sweaters.

4) Traveling on the internal flight was the easiest flight I've taken in years. It will make you wish we could also do away with TSA.

5) The restaurants in Akureyri will require reservations. Try to make them at least a night in advance. And food on your own is really expensive, even with the favorable exchange rate right now.

6) We didn't have any changes of schedule based on weather, so ended up hiking a glacier in pouring rain. It was still amazing.

7) If you do a pre-day I highly recommend Mink Viking Portraits. Happy to share one of mine if anyone is curious.

8) The rafting organization that ABD uses in Iceland was probably the best we've had so far in our many trips. Great guides and well-run excursion.

9) You won't see Northern Lights in the summer. Even if it's August and there's technically a tiny chance... it's not worth trying to stay up all night to see them. It'll probably be too cloudy or there is light pollution from the city anyway. Plan a winter trip to see the Northern Lights. This trip is for the adventure stuff.

10) The airport upon leaving is a zoo during peak season. Leave tons of time. There was a huge line to check-in, followed by another line for security (actually the shortest line of the day), and then another 45 minute wait to get past the passport control which was at the entry to the D (international) gates. We had precheck and business class and still took us forever. There was really no time to spare at the airport, even with there huge window Disney allowed with their drop-off.

We loved the trip and our guides and our fellow guests. Hope you get to enjoy this trip sometime too! Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.
Thank you for such important information. I and my family wanted to go there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter